test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Astral Shield makes tanks obsolete

eisrabe1902eisrabe1902 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Astral Shield, by far the most powerful skill. Its value is so immense that even the most squishy damage dealer standing inside becomes more durable than any full-def tank outside. Just the defense buff of it is so immense with an overkill amount of heal on top of it (plus the clerics drawback of -40% heal to himself does NOT apply).
It's a nice and maybe necessary skill to enable starters learning and grabbing their gear but on the other hand it is the big carefree-button (with enough power on the cleric) encouraging everyone to completely disregard their own defense stats and skills.

The big problem however is that in PvE it makes any kind of Tank obsolete when it enables glasscanon builds to tank the biggest evil as long as they are disciplined enough to remain in the circle.

In PvP it decides teamfights with ease rendering the team almost unkillable, again enabling glasscanon builds to become reckless, stationary and still durable like a tank while their damage is still on overdrive.

I wished that combination of extreme buff and heal would be the result of skillfully mixing cleric powers with a lot of things that can go wrong in the casting process but its just the result of pressing one button for one reliable skill that compliantly works and gives the ultimate carefree-status...
Post edited by eisrabe1902 on

Comments

• Options
    guaraguao34guaraguao34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think you exaggerate quite a bit with the most squishy dmg dealer thing, make a cw stand there and tank a boss or a hard hitting mob without moving, dont think it will last long, shield or no shield, the shield disappear, but i understand your point. BUT, id say it makes tanks more powerful, i seriously doubt any other class have 40 % or more dmg reduction (unless pvp and I'M NOT A PVP PLAYER, ONLY AND PURELY PVE). Astral shield if im not mistaken gives dmg reduction not defense, and overall dmg reduction caps at 80%, so tanks would be caping easily assuming the DC its full specced into it (yes there are some that aren't), while dps would be at 50% -55% at most (maybe more maybe less). Also you definitely are a DC that makes me really freaking happy since you drop AS (no sarcasm) and i hope you do it in divinity when you can for those nice healing ticks, but there are extremely too many DC's that are not using AS. Don't forget that dps have to move around far more than tanks to get adds (the dps that are team players and take care of adds at least), so they move away from the shield, and if the mob is not on the AS, players stay away from AS instead of at least dragging the mob to it. Also in no way AS should encourage anyone to completely disregard their own defense/dmg reduction stats, like i said, not every DC use it, and even if they do you cant depend only on another class abilities or anything to do anything for you. Couldn't agree more with your glass cannon comment, just cant add more to it. For the pvp comment cant say anything cuz like i said im not a pvp player nor ever will, this game or any other, except wow and i haven't play wow in a few years not going back to it. I agree in almost anything you said, like 85 -90% of what you said, specially in the part that AS is the most powerful if not one of the top 3, but to say tanks obsolete that's a bit too much. This is my opinion so i hope no ones get hurt.

Also this thread reminded me of this http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/249375 and another one that cant really remember, its far longer than that one.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I must say , it isn't invulnerable mode at all , I still get 2 hitted by the bone golems in Dread legion even if I'm inside Astral Shield , for regular mobs on regular maps it makes a big difference granted but in skirmishes or dungeons my glass cannon CW still gets easily splatted whilst inside AS unless I take action to avoid hard hitters.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . Wait.. what!? Uhm, no. My astral shields help keep the tanks, and the rest of the party alive. You're seriously exaggerating and blowing it way out of proportion. Besides, clerics in D&D have always been a step-down from fighters. Heck, they can wear platemail in D&D.. that's hardly a glass-cannon class, if you ask me. They have never been "glass cannons" in Dungeons & Dragons.. mayhap you're confusing another popular MMO's take on a "cloth-wearing" cleric? As for PvP... kill the clerics first, then take out the rest. Just takes some team-work.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    As for PvP... kill the clerics first, then take out the rest. Just takes some team-work.[/COLOR]

Don't try this against a PvP-specced deflect halfling cleric. They will troll you for minutes while their party blow you to smithereens.

Only focus down first PvE squishy DCs. If you meet GCTRL clones, CC/ignore and focus CW/HR.

Also the OP is a big exaggeration. AS doesn't make anyone invincible, it can barely keep a party alive in hard fights such as VT/CN last bosses and PvP, and we're talking very geared DCs here. Actually in PvP, any focused team can kill me quite fast even inside the AS, even with me dodging, because there's so much burst happening at one time.

So leave this skill alone.
  • Options
    atorzatorz Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While this might be true on trivial stuff, You're certanly not gona keep your team alive just by astral shield, nor gona make the squishy CW or TR invincible while they stand on it. It has already been nerfed before, there's no need to touch it now.
    You clearly haven't played long enough to realize its only situational.
    And on PvP, Most clerics don't even use astral shield, as its like throwing a big beacon saying " hey DC over there, throw him outside and kill it"
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    atorz wrote: »
    You clearly haven't played long enough to realize its only situational.

It's not a matter of time to face the situation that most damage dealers survive tanking although they disregard their own defensive skills/stats. So either you like the situation that tanking as a task is obsolete or you agree there is something odd about the popularity of 4xDamageDealer + 1xDC groups.

And in my view it is no exaggeration to say that the power of Astral Shield plays a big role in that.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    It's not a matter of time to face the situation that most damage dealers survive tanking although they disregard their own defensive skills/stats. So either you like the situation that tanking as a task is obsolete or you agree there is something odd about the popularity of 4xDamageDealer + 1xDC groups.

And in my view it is no exaggeration to say that the power of Astral Shield plays a big role in that.

The reason they do 4xCW + 1xDC is because the CW control everything. CC ftw!

The reason that tanks aren't as popular is due to the design decision of moar addz! it's not due to not wanting a tank, it's due to having so many minions coming to help that it takes (to many people) that many wizards stopping them to survive.

It's completely possible and viable to clear any dungeon with a tank type. Those who decide to do stuff speedy and cheaty (although speed does not necessarily mean cheating) go with the ones that blow stuff up faster.

As for PVP, as it was said, a DC in the shield is quickly a punted DC without a way to get back into the shield. While the halfling deflect types try to live through the burst, my dwarf quite often just ignores the punt. :)
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    No, bad game design makes tanks largely pointless. There are too many mobs, not hitting hard enough, and too few good ways to hold aggro on them, even if they did hit properly. Even a wizard can solo your average dangeon elite, with or without Astral Shield.

Moreover, to claim that Astral Shield makes a group invincible is suspect at best; it very much sounds as though the OP hasn't managed content more challenging than Cloak Tower epic. I assure you, it is more than possible to die very quickly indeed if you're careless, whether you're in the Astral Shield or outside it, with a healthy level of damage mitigation.

If the dungeons were tuned properly, there would be fewer mobs, hitting harder, and we'd need a sturdy, threat-heavy tank, AS or no. To spot a problem that underlies all PvE content and randomly blame Astral Shield is to demonstrate a lack of understanding that is almost impressive. It's a bit like blaming THE IMMIGRANTS for your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hair :)
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You do not have enough experience.

Stacking double Astral Shields AND 100% uptime on Astral Shield, as existed long, long ago on Beta <-- now that combo makes anyone a tank.

Sounds like you read some antiquated guide written in Beta or just after, played a little (yes, reaching level 60 in this game is only playing a little) and think you understand the game. You don't.

Play into T2s and higher or play in serious PvP premades, then come back here and try to make the same statements with a straight face...
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ok personally I think this comes from frustration that tanks are not NEEDED from OP. Yeah they are NOT must to have(as it should be!). That said a TANK Guardian Fighter is still ok to have.

It is rather those annoying people that spam we need 2-3 Control Wizards that is wrong. They have already nerfed Astral Shield that Clerics use quite a lot. My DC with best gs has currently 13,3k gs and do I feel that Clerics are very powerful in PvP? No 1 on 1 situation I would not consider Cleric to be among the stongest classes. That said Cleric is a healer/buff/supporter class and can of course affect battle in PvP so team wins.

Anyway my 11k Rogue kills more and it is not uncommon my Rogue sometimes is even best of 10 players in 5vs5 PvP, but for a Cleric it is very tough thing to achieve.

If we really look for nerfs why not nerf Rogue INT stealth build and Control Wizard and Hunter Ranger? This attitude we need no Guardian Fighter or Great Weapon Fighter has more to do with that the above 3 DPS are so powerful. Personally I loathe this we need many wizards attitude lol you do not need a single wizard for Dwarf King Gauntlgrym. Do you think my DC 13,3k is a God? No he has not managed to win endboss in Valindras Towers after the patch though I have never tried that with a team of 15k+ average gs group.

Finally tanks take aggro from enemies. Even my DC 13,3k becomes annoyed in DK Gauntlgrym(which is easy compared to Castle Never or Valindras Tower) if there is no player taking aggro. However instead of force try to recruit a Wizard I want either at least 1 Control Wizard OR a tank Guardian Fighter in the group.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    You do not have enough experience.

Stacking double Astral Shields AND 100% uptime on Astral Shield, as existed long, long ago on Beta <-- now that combo makes anyone a tank.

Sounds like you read some antiquated guide written in Beta or just after, played a little (yes, reaching level 60 in this game is only playing a little) and think you understand the game. You don't.

Play into T2s and higher or play in serious PvP premades, then come back here and try to make the same statements with a straight face...

As a matter of fact it is impossible for you to know how experienced I am.
    You seem to measure my "experience" by the intensity of difference between your opinion and mine, which is a long shot at most.

Regarding that, I don't feel like I need to add how valid your point seems to me.