test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just back to the game and a few questions

obekkwaeobekkwae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Can someone answer the following for me please:

1: can you set a key-bind to make a GF's shift power into a toggle? I hate that i have to hold a button down when i want to just turn it on and off as needed. It makes the fighting style feel unwieldly to me and detracts from my enjoyment )and yes i get that enjoyment/fun is subjective). I'm pretty much fine with the other classes i am playing's shift abilities...but this one just frustrates me, i tried binding it to middle click on my mouse and when i do it just perma stays in guard and i can't use any of my abilities, nor even come out of guard again with another middle click.

2: on the characters i am leveling , the quest rewards i get always end up 1 level higher than my level. Am i missing something? I have NO interest in pvp so i am not getting xp from doing those and i typically don't bother with skirmishes other than to do the daily. Is that the wrong way of playing? I am not struggling to kill things on the characters i play - even if they're a couple of levels higher than me, i just don't get why rewards are always higher level than me.

3: I still have a HotN AD allocation which i have barely touched, i was considering using this to rank up my cleric companion on my main. is there anything better i should use it for? I've already upped it's rarity once, so it can now get to level 20, but considering how much the other improvement ranks cost; i figured it's worth asking.

4: I like sword and board as a play style in most MMO's i play, but i am finding the GF not very enjoyable, how long does it take for it to shine. I don't want to level it to cap then find it never really seems to improve. Melee as my rogue feels fun and very enjoyable, melee on the GF feels painful and like it's mechanics are sloppily implemented...it as a class to me feels clunky and unwieldly.

Thanks for any and all input.
Post edited by obekkwae on

Comments

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1. I don't think so, but perhaps a more experienced player knows better

2. Encounter zones are generally rated for a range of levels, so depending on how much 'grinding' you do, you may not always level precisely to match the dungeon rewards, but they are usually not far off, sometimes they will be 1 or 2 below your level, particularly if you do Foundry, PvP and Skirmish runs.

3. Leveling companions is a hotly discussed topic, realistically if the powers the higher ranks offer appeal to you, then do it, if not don't. Speculating on the AH and the AD<->Zen Exchange can be a good way to spend AD, either that or just simply buy better gear for your toons.

4.The GF is not inherently a high DPS class, so it takes a bit of juggling with gear and enchants to really make them shine. However the devs have made some compromises between PvE and PvP skills and also Solo vs Party play. The GF is considered by many to be essential to a Party for their ability to tank and grab aggro, allowing the other classes to use their higher DPS to kill stuff.
    For solo PvE though, the GF can seem very 'sluggish' at lower levels, but stick with it, as they do get better.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    obekkwae wrote: »
    2: on the characters i am leveling , the quest rewards i get always end up 1 level higher than my level. Am i missing something? I have NO interest in pvp so i am not getting xp from doing those and i typically don't bother with skirmishes other than to do the daily. Is that the wrong way of playing? I am not struggling to kill things on the characters i play - even if they're a couple of levels higher than me, i just don't get why rewards are always higher level than me.

You're not playing "wrong" but you might be slightly underlevelled if you never do a dungeon or touch a Foundry quest. If you're not struggling with content, it's not really a big deal, but since quest reward loot is pre-determined, you will always be in the position of waiting to use it.

Additionally, recent changes made to streamline the game's starting areas have reduced the number of quests (and the amount of kill XP, to a degree), which puts all new characters slightly behind once they get to untweaked content, unless they make a point of making it up somehow.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

3: I still have a HotN AD allocation which i have barely touched, i was considering using this to rank up my cleric companion on my main. is there anything better i should use it for? I've already upped it's rarity once, so it can now get to level 20, but considering how much the other improvement ranks cost; i figured it's worth asking.

4: I like sword and board as a play style in most MMO's i play, but i am finding the GF not very enjoyable, how long does it take for it to shine. I don't want to level it to cap then find it never really seems to improve. Melee as my rogue feels fun and very enjoyable, melee on the GF feels painful and like it's mechanics are sloppily implemented...it as a class to me feels clunky and unwieldly.

3 - Don't do that. It is extremally expensive to upgrade a companion and, trust me, GF don't really need healing companions. I rarely even use potions on mine. If you want to spend AD on a companion, buy an augmentation one (Cat or Ion Stone of Allure) which are the only ones useful on end-game. A much better option, imo, is to buy a epic mount from Zen shop (all mounts on Zen shop are available to all toons on the same account, but it is not the case with mounts bought from AH).

4 - After level 30, when you get Frontline Surge, which is one the best GF abilities (the other is Lunging Strike), and Ferocious Reaction, the best GF feat besides Combat superiority. It gets better on level 35 with Threating rush. From that moment on it doesn't improve much. You can have very high DPS with a properly speced and geared GF (mine has both Executioner and Pain Giver titles - check what they mean if you don't know :p).
  • trapublicantrapublican Member Posts: 206 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

You have to figure out which powers to slot for the fight you're involved in.

For killing high hp single targets (bosses, ogres, giants etc.) I normally go with Cleave and Tide of Iron as at-wills, Lunging Strike, Frontline Surge and Bull Charge as encounters (swap in Avil of Doom once they drop below 50% so you can use that as a finisher), Villain's Menace and Indomitable Strength as dailies with Combat Superiority and Trample the Fallen as passives.

For killing groups of mobs I swap Bull Charge with Enforced Threat, Tide of Iron with Threatening Rush, sometimes swap Indomitable Strength with Fighter's Recovery and at times use Enhanced Mark instead of Trample the Fallen.

For leveling your most important piece of gear is your weapon, get a high damage one to maximize your dps output. I love my GF, haven't touched either of my TRs since I rolled it.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

1: can you set a key-bind to make a GF's shift power into a toggle? I hate that i have to hold a button down when i want to just turn it on and off as needed. It makes the fighting style feel unwieldly to me and detracts from my enjoyment )and yes i get that enjoyment/fun is subjective). I'm pretty much fine with the other classes i am playing's shift abilities...but this one just frustrates me, i tried binding it to middle click on my mouse and when i do it just perma stays in guard and i can't use any of my abilities, nor even come out of guard again with another middle click.

1. Not that I am aware of, but perhaps something like AutoHotkey would allow you do this? Also I think some mouse software might allow this as an option?

2. Yep, this happens to me the whole time. I tend to run Foundries during Foundry Hour to make up this XP and get a few ADs.

3. Rank 20 will be fine - I wouldn't suggest leveling her any further as the cost is prohibitive. I have the green (Tiefling) Cleric from a promotion (but it has the same stats as a standard upgrade green Cleric) and she hardly ever dies in any of the solo quests or campaign grinds. I have put 3 rank 4 HP runes on her as this seems to help a fair bit. At level 60 also consider some cheap Blue HP/Defense/Regen items for her.

4. GF is a slow and steady class as with most MMO tanks, although with the Threatening Rush at-will it does become more dynamic.
  • obekkwaeobekkwae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks all for the information.

@bendalek: Thank you, i already have an epic mount. I have no interest in the AH other than to try and sell the (very) occasional piece of loot. As for the GF i don't really expect it to be high dps, i just find it's whole "block and alt at wills" to be horribly clunky and ineffective because of the fact i have to keep my finger on the block key instead of toggling it. To me it's a rubbish implementation that it cannot just be toggled as needed without having to hold a key down the whole time it's active.

@ beckylunatic: I had noticed changes to the low level leveling and at least one quest i expected to be able to do was gone, what you say makes sense if they've tried to dumb do....i mean streamline the already laughably easy low level experience.

@rlrobr: you misunderstand slighlty, my GF is not my main, yep i chose the cleric for her as a companion but no way in hell would i play something as a main that just makes me irritated when i play it because of how cumbersome it's "shift" power feels and plays. The upgraded cleric companion is on my Trickster Rogue which i consider to be my main, because it's melee is fun...let the hate (on me) begin for lolrogue etc. The only other class i have tried that actually feels enjoyable to me is the Ranger, and every man and his cat and dog seems to be playing one of those atm so i have steered clear of it.

@trapublican: thanks for the info, if what you say is true, then i will never play my GF with any degree of seriousness, i'm already struggling to enjoy it and if it's only way to shine is to have to change it's powers on a fight by fight basis then it's just wasting time i'd rather use to enjoy myself. I'm already not a fan of having to spend a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of power points on powers i have no interest in (regardless of what class i play) just to level and progress and to exacerbate that by making me have to swap out powers on a regular basis on some classes but not others (i've never had to swap powers on my rogue up to level 41 for instance) is not going to make the class any more enjoyable.

@mconosrep: I appreciate the info, thanks. Especially regarding the cleric and practical experience relating to it's progression.

Also, to anyone who got a negative comment regarding info they gave me (ie me complaining about that info :p) it's not meant to be rude to you or demonstrate i am arguing with you. I'm grateful for the information you gave me and any negativity is directed at the game, not your info. I enjoy this game, but to me it's a typical Cryptic game, one or two things about it that are so awesome that they still manage to cover up/compensate for the remaining 2/3 of the game that is just rushed, poorly designed/thought out or heaven forbid i say it, a blatantly greedy cash grab.

I do have a few more questions though:

1: Does anyone play from Australia and know of any active guilds with a "mature" (read over 30) core age group. I have one friend playing that is in US time and honestly, when they go to bed the game is dreadfully uninteresting so being able to find a guild would be beneficial (i hope) to both sides, since i like to think of myself as a helpful and friendly player (i was a Companion in Ultima Online for instance).

2: On the off chance i cannot find a guild, how screwed am i going to be when it comes to progressing my character at level cap? I have no problem putting time and effort to get things done (i don't want handouts for instance) but whilst i try to be friendly and helpful, i am an introverted personality type and i do not handle the whole LFG thing very well, it freaks me out so i tend to just avoid it. I also tend to turn off zone, lfg and trade because the stuff i see in those channels that seems to dominate them drives me bonkers. I am a stickler for trade chat is for trade etc etc.

3: Is there a way to transfer profession assets between your characters? I couldn't find one but that doesn't mean it's not there. I got a couple of assets on my rogue i have no use for on that character and i was hoping i could move them to my GF.

I think that's all this time around. Sorry for the long winded post, i do try to keep things readable by using (i hope) not too big paragraphs, but i am grateful for the info you folks have provided me.
    edited December 2013
    2: On the off chance i cannot find a guild, how screwed am i going to be when it comes to progressing my character at level cap? I have no problem putting time and effort to get things done (i don't want handouts for instance) but whilst i try to be friendly and helpful, i am an introverted personality type and i do not handle the whole LFG thing very well, it freaks me out so i tend to just avoid it. I also tend to turn off zone, lfg and trade because the stuff i see in those channels that seems to dominate them drives me bonkers. I am a stickler for trade chat is for trade etc etc.

It can be painful doing LFGs with randoms if you don't have a guild -perhaps try to build up a large friends list?

Also blue items drop like candy at level 60 and can have very useful stats - you can get close to 10K gear score just with those and rank 4 enchants. You could probably outfit yourself in blues with great stats for a couple of thousand AD tops. Just remember there are two tiers of level 60 Blues and you want to get the top tier ones.

Do try to get the highest damage Purple weapon you can (although a Blue one is good enough initially) though. This might well be 10+ K but you can usually salvage it for 10K when you are finished anyway - check guides in any case nearer the time :)

3: Is there a way to transfer profession assets between your characters? I couldn't find one but that doesn't mean it's not there. I got a couple of assets on my rogue i have no use for on that character and i was hoping i could move them to my GF.

You can send assets using the mailboxes in Protector's Enclave - just address it to yourself using @accountname - in your case I guess @obekkwae. Drag them from your inventory professions tab into the square attachment boxes.
  • obekkwaeobekkwae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tried mailing them yesterday, i couldn't get it working, that's why i asked, but i'll have another go today.

Also, what exactly should i be using my id scrolls for. I read elsewhere that "you're not supposed to try and id everything" but if that's true, what should i spefically be using them on? Rings, amulets and weapons and ignore everything else (for instance)?
    edited December 2013
    I tried mailing them yesterday, i couldn't get it working, that's why i asked, but i'll have another go today.

Also, what exactly should i be using my id scrolls for. I read elsewhere that "you're not supposed to try and id everything" but if that's true, what should i spefically be using them on? Rings, amulets and weapons and ignore everything else (for instance)?

Pre-level 60 identify all blue drops and any items your class can use.

At level 60 only use the Greater Scrolls on Blue items, as identified Blue items are worth a lot more than unidentified ones.

BTW there are weapon vendors in the Seven Suns markets which sell weapons for gold which are really useful while leveling. Sometimes though you might be able to get them slightly cheaper in the AH (depends on gold:AD ratio).
    edited December 2013
    Yeah i use the weapon vendors in the market already, they've made things a lot easier and i get quite good mileage out of them. Also, i just tried mailing the assets i mentioned earlier and they're not draggable...they just kind of sit there mocking me :P

To clarify, by assets i mean things like Bellows or Adventurers, not the resources from the resource tab.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah i use the weapon vendors in the market already, they've made things a lot easier and i get quite good mileage out of them. Also, i just tried mailing the assets i mentioned earlier and they're not draggable...they just kind of sit there mocking me :P

To clarify, by assets i mean things like Bellows or Adventurers, not the resources from the resource tab.

Those assets should be drag-able -I do it all the time :(

However, you do have to drag them not form your profession Tab 'N', but from he profession section of your inventory 'I'.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's a bit of an exploit, but if you have AD to burn, many players sell "Bounty" tokens from the various maps. These can be exchanged on each map for either a 'Mystery Box" which will contain one random item from and Elite on that map or you can just buy the appropriately leveled 'Mystery Box' from the AH, that suits your character (the wiki has a list of the level ranges for each zone) or for "Seals" like Lion, Manticore etc, which can then be exchanged for gear.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
    edited December 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Those assets should be drag-able -I do it all the time :(

However, you do have to drag them not form your profession Tab 'N', but from he profession section of your inventory 'I'.

Ok i found out where you mean. I had not noticed the 2 small disc like buttons on the bottom that let you swap between resources and assets, thanks heaps for that. I will sort that as soon as i gt back to town. I just started skyhold pirate stuff.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Additionally, recent changes made to streamline the game's starting areas have reduced the number of quests (and the amount of kill XP, to a degree), which puts all new characters slightly behind once they get to untweaked content, unless they make a point of making it up somehow.
    It's hard to say for sure, but they seem to have changed something about XP gained from killing mobs. Previously, I noticed my gain was slower when fighting much higher level mobs, such as arriving at Neverdeath at level 24 and grinding on the level 28 kobolds and gnolls. After I got to level 25, progression seemed to increase greatly. This time, I was able to get from 24 to 25 in a much shorter time and then it didn't take long to get to 26 when I started running quests.

As far as the the treasure caches that can be gotten with bounty markers, they can also include boss drops from dungeons. I've gotten rather expensive blue items a number of times from Hotenow - Hellfire Armor, Boots of the Fire Giant - and the Nothic Helm from the Chasm. I've also gotten (farmed for actually) the Circlet of Webs headress (BOP and unavailable in the AH) to complement my 2cd wizard's Armor of Lolth. Using those bounty markers for the treasure caches are much better than for seals, except for the new module releases.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Your question about Aussie guilds, I know there's one that posts recruiter statements in zone chat quite regularly, called Fair Dinkum. I don't know if they're a "mature" guild, but you could look them up and find out. They looked like decent sorts to me.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • happyplayehappyplaye Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013

hi

a bit late on the thread, but ...
    regarding the binding question.
    check here :
    http://www.hammerfistclan.com/forum/f238/unbind-control-lock-target-other-keyboard-commands-556772/
    you'll find there what you are looking for...
    if you get stuck you can pm me :)

happy playing :)
    edited December 2013
    happyplaye wrote: »
    hi

happy playing :)

Great guide - thanks!

Perhaps you might consider Copy-Pasting it into a new topic as I think it would be worthy of a sticky.....