test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannot Upgrade Artifacts and Enchantments

damenmofadamenmofa Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
In the refinement window of artifacts and enchantments nothing happens after i press the upgrade button.

However, sometimes (every 10th try or so) the upgrade progress will actually start but it NEVER succeeds. It has happened with Rank 5 Savage Enchantment and a lvl 29 Lantern so far. I have burned 30 wards by now. I am fairly certain that this is a major bug i encountered here.

If i get a guaranteed refund for my preservation wards i can keep trying to confirm that it is actually bugged, but in the meantime i would rather not want to try anymore.

Please, some mod/dev lend me a helping hand here. This is a very gamebreaking issue.

Inb4 bad luck. Fail 40% chance 20 times and then fail 90% chance 10 times?
Post edited by damenmofa on

Comments

• ariella321ariella321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I watched someone burn through their whole supply of preservation wards yesterday with similar behavior. He was just trying to create a rank 5 enchantment.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I had one upgrade from rank 5 to 6 work on the second attempt, but have burned a lot more preservation wards than is reasonable on every other 40% chance of success upgrade I've attempted since, at different times and even different logins to attempt to break RNG streakiness.

I also note that the system notification doesn't track failures in the chat window by default like it used to, which irks me. I don't know if there's a setting whereby I could turn it back on, or if it's hidden in a log or something. I'd like the computer to do that for me rather than relying on my own fallible ability to keep count.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • nohart13nohart13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bumping~ this happened to me today :'(
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While it probably is just random, I notice that I pretty much always fail to fuse (and now refine) when on my Cleric, but hardly ever on any of my other characters. Maybe its because I store all my enchants and wards on my Cleric? I once burnt through 38 Preservation wards to get a rank 5 radiant to a rank 6
  • zavierderomzavierderom Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I failed on 3 attempts to do a simple rank 4 to 5 enchantment upgrade, which should have a 60 % success rate. The gamemakers need to display what the actual % result was because now I am thinking it is just a scam or totally bugged. There is certainly no incentive for me to waste a 3500ad preservation ward to save two 500ad marks of potency! Have the prices just not come down yet? I don't understand why I would ever want to use a ward any more (in the past it made sense with the old system), as the refinement points don't ever get lost that I can see. Unfortunately, it is looking more cost effective just to go back to buying enchanments at auction where buying a 5600ad rank 5 is less expensive than all the marks of potency and lesser rank 4s I bought (for refinement points) to try make the upgrade. I would not even think of wasting a 3500ad ward unless I could find a way to get them cheaper.
  • heatmanzheatmanz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is another bug, I am unable to refine my enchantment slotted inside my gear. At the character interface, when I right-click at gear to refine its enchantment, it brings up the refinement interface but the enchantment slotted inside the gear is not in the "item to refine slot". I am not gonna take out my enchantment from my gear and refine it then slot it back. If I gonna have to do that for all my slotted ones then no way.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    heatmanz wrote: »
    There is another bug, I am unable to refine my enchantment slotted inside my gear. At the character interface, when I right-click at gear to refine its enchantment, it brings up the refinement interface but the enchantment slotted inside the gear is not in the "item to refine slot". I am not gonna take out my enchantment from my gear and refine it then slot it back. If I gonna have to do that for all my slotted ones then no way.

That will be fixed with tonights patch.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The 60% chance is not cumulative (60% + 60% = 120% [and auto success]) but 40% chance to fail each and every time. I've had skill checks (75% chance) fail 5 times in a row.
    I failed on 3 attempts to do a simple rank 4 to 5 enchantment upgrade, which should have a 60 % success rate. The gamemakers need to display what the actual % result was because now I am thinking it is just a scam or totally bugged. There is certainly no incentive for me to waste a 3500ad preservation ward to save two 500ad marks of potency! Have the prices just not come down yet? I don't understand why I would ever want to use a ward any more (in the past it made sense with the old system), as the refinement points don't ever get lost that I can see. Unfortunately, it is looking more cost effective just to go back to buying enchanments at auction where buying a 5600ad rank 5 is less expensive than all the marks of potency and lesser rank 4s I bought (for refinement points) to try make the upgrade. I would not even think of wasting a 3500ad ward unless I could find a way to get them cheaper.
  • joedasnowjoedasnow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The 60% chance is not cumulative (60% + 60% = 120% [and auto success]) but 40% chance to fail each and every time. I've had skill checks (75% chance) fail 5 times in a row.

agreed.

what you need to understand is that with chance you can fail repeatedly and becuase you are looking for the one success its hard to gauge if the chance is working right. but im sure if you sampled the success rates accross all players it would be about 60%. i hope the devs have the tools to be able to see such things though. if everyone is failing 10 times to get a upgrade then that is not right.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ariella321 wrote: »
    I watched someone burn through their whole supply of preservation wards yesterday with similar behavior. He was just trying to create a rank 5 enchantment.

I did the exact same thing, even down to the rank 5. Not amused!

Also, they really need to get a PRNG with better distribution. To say that it's streaky is a ludicrous understatement. To see a 60% chance fail over a streak of 7 or more "rolls" looks unlucky the first time that it happens to you. To see it happen more often than not "looks like carelessness". Either it's really, really badly implemented or dishonest. Neither is acceptable. It is possible to build a PRNG with reasonable distribution and a cryptographically acceptable level of unpredictability. Put it this way- if this was an online poker game, it would have been shut down already.
  • mercestesmercestes Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The odds of failing the first time are 25%.

Although, if I fail the first time the odds of me failing again is 25%, the odds of me failing twice in a row, before I even begin, is 6% (four times less likely.). The odds of me failing 3 times in a row on any given attempt from the first try is only 1.5%. The odds of me failing 4 times in a row on any given attempt is .003%. And the odds of me failing five times in a row on any particular skill node is .001%.

It's like flipping a penny. If you flip a penny 99 times and get heads, on the 100th try, you have a 50% chance to get tails, just like you did the first time. That scenario is WAY different than picking up a penny and saying "I'm going to flip this to heads 100 times." The odds of that streak occurring are extremely low.

So if out of a thousand skill nodes I happen to have one unlucky streak, that would be statistically sound. However, if in a given day I encounter 4-5 skill nodes out of maybe twenty or so that fails 4-5 times in a row and it seems like I'm either successful on the first try, or on the fifth try, that is not a 75% chance. The "code" might say 75%, but the number randomizer does not work on the back end. It might be 75% on the first try, and I honestly would agree that the first attempt is approximately 75% (ish.) I think I've had slightly less luck on the first try (closer to 50%) but that's statistics for you. However, once I fail, I pretty much know I'm going to burn 4-5 kits on it. I am actually surprised the few times I do get away with 2-3 kits.

If the same randomization is responsible for the runes...I can see how that would be extremely frustrating.

The same randomizer would drive lockboxes.
  • zavierderomzavierderom Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Yes, I understand how probability works. But I believe the chance of getting 3 straight fails is .4 x .4 x .4 = approx 6%? Pretty darn small, but not like getting hit by lightning. I stopped because the cost of making the attempts was exceeding the value of the item and I don't like not knowing the what my "roll" result in the attempt was; and, when I read that daemenmofa tried 20 times and failed, it more likely that the system is bugged than that I had bad rolls. After reading the above, I pulled the enchantment from the item, then upgraded it, and had success.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    After reading the above, I pulled the enchantment from the item, then upgraded it, and had success.

Oh my, that sounds like more preview testing is in order to see if slotted enchantments fail to upgrade more often than unslotted ones, in a large sample.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Something is definitely not right with the RNG, my GF whom I started before MOD 2 has pretty much a 100% success rate on skill nodes, and my 2 x GWF's and DC (all also pre MOD2) are at about 85% success, where as my HR has about a 15-25% success rate. I'll usually go through at least 3 kits before a success and sometimes 6.

On the other hand, none of my 5 toons has ever, not once, gotten anything decent from a Lock Box. I've opened probably 500 (thant's no joke! And I'm an idiot I know, but...) And the only Purple items I have ever received is a few of the "Jeweled Elven" things and I've never gotten anything decent from them. I gotten one Purple Weaponsmith from a professions pack and that's it!

I have a ..friend ... in game, who shall remain anonymous, who seems to be blessed by the gods, because one of their toons opened 10 nightmare boxes (when keys were on sale recently) That toon got 3 companions and a mount! NOT an exaggeration!!!
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png