test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why automatic respec?

maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
When I logged on today some of my chars have had their powers and feats reset
Why not let me decided which one I want to respec?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They changes the trees that some of the feats are in.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    asgorath1asgorath1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    MAte alot of the ppls(like me) we dont take free respec as the patch note say.
  • Options
    talrunetalrune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    When I logged on today some of my chars have had their powers and feats reset
    Why not let me decided which one I want to respec?

If you have played any mmos you would know when major changes occur in skill or talent trees that affect the class they ALWAYS do a respec so you can then choose if you still want the new power or go a different route. It's nothing new and its a good thing.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The forced respec is only supposed to apply to the feats of DCs and GWFs, and this is because some paragon feats have switched trees, which buggered everything up if you'd assigned points to the moved feats.

I don't know what else is going on, but it does sound like a royal mess.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I think the OP's point was why force the respec. When dynamics change, a free respec is a good thing yes. But don't force it until they have had time to determine how they wish to respec.
  • Options
    cpendletcpendlet Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2013
    On my GWF and DC, it reset all feats as expected. Note I had taken the offending feats(and retook them when I filled them back in).
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the OP's point was why force the respec. When dynamics change, a free respec is a good thing yes. But don't force it until they have had time to determine how they wish to respec.

As a poster above pointed out, the forced respec is for DCs and GWFs, and was necessitated by a change in the feat trees of those classes. Instead of allowing people to continue on with "broken" feat trees, and points that would have (due to the change) been spent in feats that they did not actually put points in, the respec for them is NOT optional.
  • Options
    syrusgreycloaksyrusgreycloak Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And due to the point-spend requirements to get to the next set to choose, they can't just let you respec the points from the changed feat elsewhere - it's not allowed by the UI point-spend system. Those points would be 'missing', putting anything after that into an invalid state.
    Alexandrius Moonstar, Level 60 Wood Elf Control Wizard
    Rar'rizton Kenana, Level 60 Drow Elf Trickster Rogue
    Syrus Greycloak, Level 30 Moon Elf Control Wizard
    Lucan Huntinghawk, Level 17 Moon Elf Hunter Ranger

Sacred Silver Blades (www.sacredkeep.com)
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    As a poster above pointed out, the forced respec is for DCs and GWFs, and was necessitated by a change in the feat trees of those classes. Instead of allowing people to continue on with "broken" feat trees, and points that would have (due to the change) been spent in feats that they did not actually put points in, the respec for them is NOT optional.

Yeah. I get that. But since the other classes have the ability to hold on to their free respecs until later, that's a bit of a kick in the teeth. Unless I missed something (I may well have), and those classes still get an additional respec after the initial forced one.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The forced one is supposed to be just for your feats, and you're supposed to still get a free one to use at your discretion.

As for how things are currently working, it sounds like they're not! But that's not how it was supposed to be.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah. I get that. But since the other classes have the ability to hold on to their free respecs until later, that's a bit of a kick in the teeth. Unless I missed something (I may well have), and those classes still get an additional respec after the initial forced one.

So far as I know the forced feat respec does not consume the free respec given out with this update. So, basically, along with a free full respec you got an additional free feat respec.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If that's the case, then all should be cool. I was under the impression that the OP was left with no option after the initial.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If that's the case, then all should be cool. I was under the impression that the OP was left with no option after the initial.

That sounds like a separate issue, as there are multiple reports of people not getting the free respec they were expecting, and not just with GWFs and DCs.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    solamniesolamnie Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My lvl 41 GWF didn't get any respec o.o
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited December 2013

Yes that is exactly what I meant. 4 of my lvl 60's were the way I wanted them, 1 60 I'm not sure about and I have made 3 others that's lower lvl so I can lvl them while I try new spec's.

I do appreciate the free spec but still wish my chars were left with the spec's I gave them
  • Options
    atamasamaatamasama Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes that is exactly what I meant. 4 of my lvl 60's were the way I wanted them, 1 60 I'm not sure about and I have made 3 others that's lower lvl so I can lvl them while I try new spec's.

I do appreciate the free spec but still wish my chars were left with the spec's I gave them
    That's how every MMO is. Sometimes classes get totally revamped, and what you liked to play isn't viable or maybe even possible anymore. That's the downside to a game that is constantly changing.
    Lakini, Halfling Guardian Fighter
    Tomas, Human Devoted Cleric
    Dragon Shard
  • Options
    edited December 2013

The thing is, some builds were going to break if they didn't force respec the feats on GWFs and DCs, due to changes in which paragon trees some feats were in. It wasn't supposed to touch anything else, just prevent you from having orphaned and unplace-able feat points.

Though it sounds like the bug it was supposed to prevent made it into live anyway....

Edit:
    AND you're still intended to get a free full respec to use as you see fit.

Neverwinter Census 2017