test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

do you pve?

josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Yes, of course! This is a PVE game
Yes, but only to get AD / gear / levels / boons / artifacts for PVP (for self or friend/guildie)
Nope, I PVP only and have BiS gear / enchants / etc already
Pvpbysynergy.png
Iyon the Dark
Post edited by josiahiyon on

Comments

• Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pve is like 200k an hour vs work at min wage per hr. Real money to zen is more efficient then pve x.x
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    True -- did that analysis and came to the depressing conclusion that $s are far more effective. Option 3 was meant to include those who pay for stuff when they need it for a toon.

Option 2 is still viable for many, though. Frugal spouse, better game immersion, insufficient disposable income, helping guildies / friends get pvp ready, etc.

I hope Cryptic realizes the gold-mine this game can be with just a little PVP investment. It wouldn't take much to turn this into the best MMO PVP available. Thus the countless PVP suggestion / feedback threads. Tremendous potential as of yet mostly unrealized.

PVE attracts. PVP sustains.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    as my recent post suggest. I disagree. PvP is a content-production-sink that more quickly leads to boredom and drop-off in players.
  • Options
    brodyhoule1brodyhoule1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    as my recent post suggest. I disagree. PvP is a content-production-sink that more quickly leads to boredom and drop-off in players.

You have absolutely no statistical facts to say that. Unless you can provide proof that people play less because of pvp, because a lot of people I know play solely for the pvp.
    My name is Tank, and I will not die.
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I said that people play less because there is less content, not because of PvP. Though I consider PvP to be an inhibitor in PvE content creation.

I never intended to have facts backing me up. That is why I used the words "I disagree". But beyond that, you have no statistical proof to contradict me. I know loads of people that spent 1000's of dollars withing a month of release (rich oilworkers) who abhorred PvP, and said they always did. So I guess we have about the same level of legitimacy to our argument.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I said that people play less because there is less content, not because of PvP. Though I consider PvP to be an inhibitor in PvE content creation.

I never intended to have facts backing me up. That is why I used the words "I disagree". But beyond that, you have no statistical proof to contradict me. I know loads of people that spent 1000's of dollars withing a month of release (rich oilworkers) who abhorred PvP, and said they always did. So I guess we have about the same level of legitimacy to our argument.

Well seeing how there are at least 15 guilds dedicated solely to PvP, each with well over 50 people in each, there are more people that spend money on pvp.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Given that NWO doesn't actually do any PvP content...I don't see how it affects the guys putting out fresh content at all.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No one knows but PW / Cryptic about who spends more $ on what but it would be interesting to see. I know in my guild no one plays pvp other then the odd GG (when they played that is - most have moved on now). I personally have done very little PvP its not my thing and I have spent about 4k on this game which I'd bet is more then a lot of guilds combined player base. My guild was about 40-50 ppl peak and everyone but about 2 guys bought at least the $60 starter pack most spent around $100 with purchase of a bag or two / pet etc.. but no one came close to the level of funds I've pumped into this game. No one in my guild did the PvP other then the odd GG, no one!
  • Options
    kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Where is the "no I pay to win" button? :p
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Combining this poll and the similarly named 'do you pvp?' poll:

44% only enjoy PVE (31% only play PVE)
    41% only play for PVP
    15% enjoy both

No wonder the friction.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Whats PvE? I thought PvP was the only mode that mattered...
  • Options
    draezendirehanddraezendirehand Member Posts: 93
    edited December 2013
    Well seeing how there are at least 15 guilds dedicated solely to PvP, each with well over 50 people in each, there are more people that spend money on pvp.

With that math you have approx 750 people dedicated to PVP out of the supposed millions of players in this game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1.jpg
    When life turns it's back on you, sneak attack it for extra damage!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    With that math you have approx 750 people dedicated to PVP out of the supposed millions of players in this game...

Note how I said AT LEAST. There are plenty of other guilds that only PvP, and there are people that are not in guilds that are dedicated to PvP also. Most of the PvP only guilds tend to have the top tiered people in them too, the ones that have r8s, perfects, etc.
  • Options
    thatasianbradahthatasianbradah Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To be fair, everybody has to do a certain amount of PvE in order to properly experience PvP because without the basic combat experience and gear farming from PvE, a player won't have the necessary basic training needed to have a general fighting chance. Of course there technically isn't an option to not PvE as well. Everybody does it from the get go even if it's only for a few days worth then grinds the rest of the lvls due to PvP, but chances are that same player may be a heavy Zen/AD purchaser because that player (if he/she does not PvE) wants to win habitually, that person will need to have enough Zen/AD to buy top-tier T2 epic gears to suffice.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I see top geared players only in PvP guilds. Just imagine: Top PvE Guild! I can't even pronounce it without smiling. What the point of gearing for PvE? You can complete any dungeon with T1 gear and R5 enchants, there's no progression, no ratings, no special gear/achievement requirements. So why do I make my character better?
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . I primarily only PvE. There have been very few times I've PvP'd in this game, so few I could count them on two hands. I do not play a PvE game to PvP, therefore I do not PvP in Neverwinter unless I have both dailies from Rhix and Neverember and then only when my guild "coerces" me to with cookies and puppy dog eyes.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i do like an occasional pvp match, but i'm definitely more geared towards the story, the lore, the awesome environments and attention to detail...
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I think the better question would be...

Do you PvP?

This is a PvE Game. Believe it or not PvP makes up the minority of players in every MMO that doesn't focus completely on PvP. It just isn't the be all end all that PvPers so commonly believe. If you look into any of the polls most PvE games have more players who are happy to never see any PvP than there are PvPers who avoid PvE at all costs.

Now in Neverwinter I used to PvP quite a bit. I thought it was a lot of fun, more fun than I have ever had in any PvE game's PvP before. Sadly as the game progressed the imbalanced matches became so common that I completely lost interest. I want challenging matches all of the time not matches where I either have no contest wins or losses.

Until a matchmaking system is added into Neverwinter's PvP I don't anticipate I will be PvPing much if at all anymore.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Top PvE Guild! I can't even pronounce it without smiling.

There are MMOs where guilds compete for a "World first".
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    There are MMOs where guilds compete for a "World first".

Yeah, with lots of raids with lots of bosses and lots of gear tiers. So cool.

Also killing bosses in said MMO might take a lot of wipes and practice.

Here we have what? Who kills Valindra that has 3 rehashed spells at her disposal, in a 30 mins dungeon first?

Not gonna work.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I primarily only PvE. There have been very few times I've PvP'd in this game, so few I could count them on two hands. I do not play a PvE game to PvP, therefore I do not PvP in Neverwinter unless I have both dailies from Rhix and Neverember and then only when my guild "coerces" me to with cookies and puppy dog eyes.

This game has PVP and PVE. With just a little investment, Neverwinter can be the best of both worlds. Especially since the MMO PVP benchmark is not very high.

Like it or not, the 2 recent polls suggest that 30 - 40% play this game exclusively for PVP. Another 30 - 40% play this game exclusively for PVE. The game attracts a variety of players. As melodywhr has said, diversity in this game is a key ingredient to its success. PVE-only and PVP-only players should encourage a balance of both aspects in order to sustain the game and its diversity.
    I think the better question would be...

Do you PvP?

This is a PvE Game. Believe it or not PvP makes up the minority of players in every MMO that doesn't focus completely on PvP. It just isn't the be all end all that PvPers so commonly believe. If you look into any of the polls most PvE games have more players who are happy to never see any PvP than there are PvPers who avoid PvE at all costs.

Now in Neverwinter I used to PvP quite a bit. I thought it was a lot of fun, more fun than I have ever had in any PvE game's PvP before. Sadly as the game progressed the imbalanced matches became so common that I completely lost interest. I want challenging matches all of the time not matches where I either have no contest wins or losses.

Until a matchmaking system is added into Neverwinter's PvP I don't anticipate I will be PvPing much if at all anymore.

The PVP question was asked in a poll posted a few days earlier. I play primarily with people who play only to improve their PVP, so was curious what percentage of the population plays for this purpose. As evidenced, it's a much higher percentage than many PVE-only players care to admit.

This game has PVE. It also has PVP. This is a game, and player-demand determines its future PVP/PVE split. The demand on these forums is quite clear and pronounced.

A match-making system will be great. Couple this with Foundry PVP and a ranking-system, and Neverwinter instantly becomes the best MMO PVP game available.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think you are misinterpreting the statistics.

First, the middle question is poorly phrased. It can easily be misinterpreted as asking if players PVE only to get stuff for PVP, *or* if they PVE to get stuff for their friends/guildies. So answering yes to this prompt doesn't necessarily signify a devotion to only PVPing.

Second, you have to show that the forum population is representative of the entire NW population as a whole. I doubt that can be shown.

Finally, you're essentially making a post hoc argument. You're arguing that since there are PVPers here, that there ought to be more resources devoted to PVP. The presence of PVPers doesn't necessarily justify changing the focus of the game to PVP, any more so than, say, the presence of broccoli in my kitchen doesn't necessarily justify changing my lifestyle to become a vegetarian.

I find it kind of funny that there are so many people here demanding more PVP, more PVP, more PVP, when *it's a PVE-focused game* as stated by the devs and as demonstrated by the overwhelming proportion of resources devoted to PVE over PVP. It's sort of like going into a seafood restaurant, that has most of the menu devoted to seafood but one entree that has steak, and then complaining that the steak tastes funny and demanding better steak. If you want a good steak, don't go to a seafood restaurant! Likewise, if you want a great PVP experience, then don't play a game in which the devs, via their words and by their actions, have shown that their time isn't going to be spent on PVP.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    pointsman,

You appear to have just posted everything that I was about to add, but phrased it slightly more nicely. Thank you, it saves typing.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    This game has PVP and PVE. With just a little investment, Neverwinter can be the best of both worlds. Especially since the MMO PVP benchmark is not very high.

Like it or not, the 2 recent polls suggest that 30 - 40% play this game exclusively for PVP. Another 30 - 40% play this game exclusively for PVE. The game attracts a variety of players. As melodywhr has said, diversity in this game is a key ingredient to its success. PVE-only and PVP-only players should encourage a balance of both aspects in order to sustain the game and its diversity.

The PVP question was asked in a poll posted a few days earlier. I play primarily with people who play only to improve their PVP, so was curious what percentage of the population plays for this purpose. As evidenced, it's a much higher percentage than many PVE-only players care to admit.

This game has PVE. It also has PVP. This is a game, and player-demand determines its future PVP/PVE split. The demand on these forums is quite clear and pronounced.

A match-making system will be great. Couple this with Foundry PVP and a ranking-system, and Neverwinter instantly becomes the best MMO PVP game available.
    . . . . . Your gathered statistics assume that the majority of players who play the game also post on the forums, when it is common industry and media knowledge that most players who play MMOs do not post on forums. This is what we call the "Vocal Minority," which is often implied as the game's "Majority" by those highly vocal about the MMOs they play.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

This is a very sensible and smart approach. Both aspects of the game should be constantly improved.

As for those that keep on saying "it's a PvE only/focused game", are there any dev resources that actually say this? I'm curious.

And if they are, why PvP in this PvE focused game? Because the devs made the mistake to code a very enjoyable combat system with decent amount of theorycrafting available on the side. It's too late to back away from it.

Also, there has to be a sample of players. The forums offer the best way of polling the community for now. Many good players post here, some already made guides, others videos and so on. These are the most important and representative players IMO, not the myriad of level 1-30 that play once every 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    pointsman wrote: »
    I think you are misinterpreting the statistics.

Doubt it. I'm a statistician and set up this poll with the intent of combining results from the similar PVP poll, as seen in my prior posts on this thread.
    First, the middle question is poorly phrased. It can easily be misinterpreted as asking if players PVE only to get stuff for PVP, *or* if they PVE to get stuff for their friends/guildies. So answering yes to this prompt doesn't necessarily signify a devotion to only PVPing.

Middle part: "Yes, but only to get AD / gear / levels / boons / artifacts for PVP (for self or friend/guildie)"

I see no potential for misinterpretation from anyone comfortable with the english language.
    However, if one were to misinterpret as you suggest, selecting option 2 would still imply that the person only PVEs to help others. Thus, unless they only play the game to help others, they are likely PVP-focused.
    Second, you have to show that the forum population is representative of the entire NW population as a whole. I doubt that can be shown.
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Your gathered statistics assume that the majority of players who play the game also post on the forums, when it is common industry and media knowledge that most players who play MMOs do not post on forums. This is what we call the "Vocal Minority," which is often implied as the game's "Majority" by those highly vocal about the MMOs they play.

As with any study / survey, there are limitations. I've noted this limitation and caveated it in a few posts. With that said, it's the best intel we have available.
    Finally, you're essentially making a post hoc argument. You're arguing that since there are PVPers here, that there ought to be more resources devoted to PVP. The presence of PVPers doesn't necessarily justify changing the focus of the game to PVP, any more so than, say, the presence of broccoli in my kitchen doesn't necessarily justify changing my lifestyle to become a vegetarian.

The high percentage of pvp-only players suggests that the developers should focus on PVP if they wish to retain and/or grow these players. It also suggests that their design, even if by accident, is well-suited for PVP. The focus of the game is not some predetermined immutable thing; it must evolve with player demand if the game is to succeed in the long run.

You can choose to starve, be malnourished, and/or be wasteful in your kitchen if you want. Or you can adjust and eat the readily available broccoli. Btw, you can still have meat too. We're not talking about going 100% PVP.
    I find it kind of funny that there are so many people here demanding more PVP, more PVP, more PVP, when *it's a PVE-focused game* as stated by the devs and as demonstrated by the overwhelming proportion of resources devoted to PVE over PVP. It's sort of like going into a seafood restaurant, that has most of the menu devoted to seafood but one entree that has steak, and then complaining that the steak tastes funny and demanding better steak. If you want a good steak, don't go to a seafood restaurant! Likewise, if you want a great PVP experience, then don't play a game in which the devs, via their words and by their actions, have shown that their time isn't going to be spent on PVP.

Please provide a reference where a developer said this game is a PVE game.
    If you find a reference, here's a counter argument: the developers put PVP in the game.

The initial proportion of resources devoted to PVE does not suggest the game is a PVE game. Many games start by establishing their PVE before implementing and improving their PVP. In fact, some games don't have PVP at all on release. In a way, Neverwinter is ahead of the curve with regards to PVP.

If 40% of my customers at my seafood restaurant prefer the steak option, I'm going to listen to their suggestions regarding the steak. Maybe they like coming to the restaurant because it's local, has good music, good atmosphere, etc, and are indifferent to the seafood aspect. I'm not going to ignore and potentially lose 40% of my customers just because I'm too stubborn to listen to my customers' interests. That's a bad business model.

Neverwinter could quite literally be the best PVP MMO game available. It could revolutionize MMO PVP. It could do this with minimal effort and w/o much impact to PVE. Match-making + Foundry PVP. Put some salt on that steak. With the extra cash from the new and retained PVP players, the game could then put more resources into PVE and PVP. Win-win. That's why players push for PVP -- we see the tremendous potential.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Forum broken.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Neverwinter could quite literally be the best PVP MMO game available. It could revolutionize MMO PVP. It could do this with minimal effort and w/o much impact to PVE. Match-making + Foundry PVP. Put some salt on that steak. With the extra cash from the new and retained PVP players, the game could then put more resources into PVE and PVP. Win-win. That's why players push for PVP -- we see the tremendous potential.

I cant stress this enough, DEVs if you see this or ANYONE who works for Cryptic, pass this along! This 1000x this.

Neverwinter COULD easily be THE pvp MMO. the combat is second to none I cant say that enough. The thing that sucks about it is its the same two boring maps over and over. No matchmaking, no ranking, no new gametypes no new maps etc.... Absolutely NO resources put into this game.

If you give pvp some attention itll bring back ALOT of players. Maybe even the "streamers" who made it popular in the first few months which THEN pads everyones pockets and allows you to spend more resources on PVE.

Honestly, you could hire a frikin entry level programmer full time for probably <60k/yr and put him to work full time pvp content and easily cover the costs AND more... I know players who would gladly drop $1,000 or more into this game if it just stepped up its pvp. I know players who HAVE contributed thousands (yes plural) to this game and imagine how much more iv you add more pvp.

Its really just so sad, people WANT to give you money, they WANT to play your game they are TELLING you what they want and still people go "its a PVE game" honestly if you cant see the effects a stable and good PVP environment bring to even a PVE focused game, you really I guess deserve to play a dead game... and If cryptic/PWE continue to ignore the facts, they deserve to have their game die....
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    posts like the one up there don't sound constructive. they sound like threats. "make this game how i (and all of these people who i don't really know but assume exist) want it or suffer the doom of the MMO graveyard!!"

and then you insult the intelligence of management by suggesting that they don't know how to run a company or how to hire developers. if running a company was so easy and changes so easily implemented, why isn't it happening elsewhere? where is this success story?

i hate to break it to you but people already are giving this company money. and they are playing their game. all you have to do is log in and look around: zen store mounts, zen store fashion, dyes, keys, companions and packs. whether it's a thousand people or just a hundred. they're in there enjoying the game. that's not to say that people don't have wish lists... but trying to put it in such a "sky is falling" kind of way is ridiculous without knowing actual metrics.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ayroux is frustrated because the game offers tremendous PVP potential with minimal investment. No threat or insult, just a simple and passionately felt observation. Salt the Steak and you revolutionize the game. Why put so much effort fighting against using a little salt? It's baffling.

I'm shocked that anyone could interpret this passion as insults or threats. Perhaps melodywhr is referencing a different post. I hope the developers see the plea here as constructive, impassioned feedback.

I'm glad people are giving the company money for this game. I want the game to succeed. I believe a couple minor PVP improvements will earn Cryptic more money and thus further help the game succeed.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark