test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character Cap's

stormcrowcjstormcrowcj Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion

Question Why did Cryptic put a level cap of 60 most mmorp's set there lvl at around the hundred mark I think most game players would hope that the power's that be will at some point increase the character cap and in the future have higher lvl Dungeons to satisfy the growing number of player that are getting frustrated.
There are quite a lot of lvl 60 players most player"s attain this lvl within a couple of week's the doesn't seem to be any challenge I know this is a bit of a ***** at the powers that be but please try and increase the cap plz also a few more competitions to win some nice gear And not tier two gear try for some epic plz I play a few mmorp games Rappelz being one of them they run competitions and seasonal event's that the gamers look forward too this would be a nice touch.
This could be such an Epic game if the game design bod's increased the cap and gave us seasonal event's .
Well I think that's about all I have say it's a splendid game but could be so much better.
Post edited by stormcrowcj on

Comments

• Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Cause they can.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm guessing it has to do with WotC's direction and the DnD brand's marketing.

The pen and paper RPG (4E version) has 0-3 daily powers by level 10 and you get a Paragon Path at level 11, with stat pips at every 4th level with +1 to all stats at levels 11 and 21 and an Epic Destiny at 21.

NW offers 2 daily powers by level 20, and a Paragon Path at level 21 with stat pips every 10 levels and +1 to all stats at levels 30 and 60 and Epic Content to further develop your character's power beyond level 60 (even if your level number is static).

See the general alignment in development of characters in the games?

My bet is cryptic wanted 100 levels, WotC said no.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Even if they put the cap to 200, people will hit it in under a month. The leveling in the game is extremely fast and they probably put the cap around 60 for the power/feat points so that people actually have to choose stuff to not get.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm guessing you missed all the "seasonal events" we just had?
    Like all of these...

[TH="class: headerSort, align: center"]Start Date[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, align: center"]End Date[/TH]
    [TH="class: headerSort, align: center"]Event Name[/TH]

2013-06-17
    2013-06-20
    Valindra's Invasion

2013-07-03
    2013-07-08
    Celebration of Lliira

2013-07-26
    2013-07-29
    Tymora's Gift

2013-08-29
    2013-09-19
    Midsummer Festival

2013-10-17
    2013-10-24
    Coins of Waukeen

2013-10-29
    2013-11-04
    Masquerade of Liars

...and if the level cap were 100 -- in a matter of weeks you'd be screaming for it to be increased.
    WoW was limited to 50 if I recall, it was only after being out SEVERAL YEARS that it was increased to 60.
    Neverwinter has been out like SIX MONTHS.

Did you visit all the scrying orbs?
    Have you found all the hidden bosses/encounters?
    Have you leveled to 60 in EVERY CLASS??

Chill.

My gawd this generation has serious ADD.
  • Options
    andferne3andferne3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    No mmo I have played had a level cap of 100. All of them 20 levels lower than 100 if not even lower than that.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i Agree. Any MMO I have played never had a cap at 100. There is one MMO that has been around since 2007. Their lvl cap I believe started at 50, first expac which came out over a year after the game was released took it to 60, 2nd expac which came out a year and a half after the first expac took it to 65. 3rd expac came out a year after the 2nd expac and took it to lvl 75. 4th expac a year after 3rd expac took it to 85. 5th expac which just came out was just over a year from the 4th expac took the game to 95.

So after 6 years of the game being around, the game has had 5 lvl cap increases.

This game has only been out for like 7 months. Don't expect a lvl cap increase for awhile.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . I've only played a couple MMOs that had a level cap near or beyond the 100's and I'm not even sure if they started that high upon release. Never-the-less, I am sure as time goes on, we'll see small level cap increasements, just like we've seen in Star Trek Online. It took quite a while to get the first increasement in STO. Give Neverwinter time, for the game is still in its infancy.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I cant say for sure if they started out with a lvl100 cap but I can say that when I started playing PW its lvl cap was in fact 100 and after a few years they finally raised it to 105. But I've also played a few other games that I can say for sure had a lvl caps of 100.

We don't need a lvl cap increase in this game. What we need an exp decrease. There is no good reason that a casual player should be able to hit the cap in 5 days.
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Really level caps stay around for a year or so on all MMo's when they are released.

The reality is if the game is doing well financially they will create new content/feats/levels etc...

If it is not doing so well they lv cap will stay.

At least this game had boons and pretty fast as well.

Everyone likes to compare this to WOW. But they compare it to WOW as it is at the moment. I played it from day 1. Took them 6 months for every city to have an AH and any PVP battlegrounds. 2 years before new content release and a new lv cap - which only goes up 10 at a time and stays for about 2 years.

I understand though - this game you can level especially at the moment with x2 XP - form even just invoking and doing Leadership profession in a couple of months. A lv 60 in the start of WOW took months - I was working and played weekends and every night and it took me 4-5 months, a big huge grind.

Oh well there has to be a ceiling somewhere.

The only place that you do not really need a ceiling is in PVP if it was just lv based - or really just give us ranked PVP lv's that are endless.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

Chill.

These are not true endgame challenges. Hidden bosses such as Occulus didn't even had an epic drop when I killed them, so they were a loss of time basically. Finding scrying orbs? No thanks, I'm here to kill dragons and take their treasures. Level each class? But why, I only like mage types in RPGs.

True endgame, for me, would be elaborate raids, with extremely challenging bosses, and with epic loot, or PvP as an e-sport, with ladders and rankings.
  • Options
    solamniesolamnie Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tera: 60
    Rift: 60
    Pwi: 105
    lotro: 85 i believe
    RoM: 77 i believe...
  • Options
    vintenarvintenar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find this game to be a real challenge to find stuff to do when your over 60. Seems to me like the only real challenge is to generate enough astral diamonds to by the epic gear you want. Of course that is only a challenge if you don't succumb to the converting real money to fake AD money.

Like a few have mentioned the problem is they have set up the game to be fast paced to get you to level 60, which kind of takes away from the sense of accomplishment that goes along with trying to get to that point. So once you finally get there you don't have a whole lot to do, now that you don't really have to agonize over choices that you make along the way. So once you get to sixty and still don't have a lot of purple gear like i did, you wind up succumbing to paying for gear, because the path to get the gear is too difficult, not to mention if your not uber you got people *****ing at you cause your the weak link in the party, and then kicking you out of the group, which makes it difficult to get uber gear.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lotro is now lvl 95 with the latest expac. My previous post was in reference to Lotro.
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And I thought this was a thread about hats :/
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    craeh1craeh1 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    hehe n1 drscone :D

Why does a level cap matter to so many people?...
    Would it change a thing, if we could choose paragon path at level 50, get the attribute points every 16.66 levels and all that...?
    Well, the only thing it would change: even more people start crying about "leveling too fast".
    But leveling to fast compared to what? NWOs level cap is compared to what?

Ok, you hit 60 just by the storyline itself. At other games you may have still a few levels left after storyline's end - but at that point it's brainless grind. Mostly you have no chance for epic stuff, but still need to get some levels.
    Maybe it would be nice, if there are still 2-3 levels after storyline, since everyone does it very different and also it would "save" some space for foundry, PvP,... and also maybe saves from outleveling normal dungeons and skirmishes.

Also comparing very different MMOs just by levelcap is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Check for example a GuildWars (level cap at 20), and a basic WoW (50) - both been pretty nice with nice mechanics in there, but absolutly different in playing and almost not to compare.
    So let me say some words about GW, read a post where someone did the 20 cap in about 3 or 4 hours, just by rushing and exp boosts. Okay things like that may boost a bit, but there's been stil a long way to go until endcontent came insight.
    Same so in WoW, hitting level cap is one thing - being equipped and skilled to do the endgame stuff is another story.

I guess just setting the cap higher would kill alot of NWOs machanics at this point, first the content is needed for that, and I think it would be hard to match with the leveling system itself.
    Also you may hit level 60 with ~5k or ~6k GS, theres still a long way to go to be successfull at Castle Never or Malabogs and even the T1 epics are kinda hard at that point.
    I'd say it will be about GS almost forever. There will be harder content some day, that requires to gear up again.

Last words about:
    Those who scream about higher levels: thought about what I would change?
    Let's say it would be raised to 70... +2 Attribute Points? Maybe a few hundred HP more?
    Also it would probably bring new power and feats, so you still don't get the points, to "skill it all"...
    In the end it's still the same as we got it now. Some points need to be waisted to skill higher powers, not everything can be skilled.
    And on the other side of it: harder content matching to the level - the it would feel like now, just looking a bit different.
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to play the right way!
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Is there any point to have a higher cap? Leveling should be fast enough to get you directly to action while you get a basic idea of what you are playing. No point on running in circles killing helpless mobs and collecting exp.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Besides, if they raise cap all of our gear would be obsolete. I don't feel like losing money invested in gear and seals of ex
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

Chill.

characterlist.png

I dont feel like ss and posting achievements but i'm sure you get the picture.
    21.jpg