test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP is hard as a fresh 60

mailbromailbro Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
Why is PvP so hard fro a fresh 60, I'm not saying vetran 60s shouldn't have an advantage I'm just saying getting crit for 19k when I have 23k health is pretty imbalanced.
Post edited by mailbro on

Comments

• captainmyth6324captainmyth6324 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It happens. You are not going to be geared enough to survive in 60 PvP. Many players have had weeks if not months of PvPing time. Don't expect it to be completely balanced with so many higher-level gears ahead of you.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's not even that bad :) As a CW with 12.5K GS and after a few months of playing, I still get 2 shotted almost each time I meet TRs that know their business. The other classes are quite capable as well, I can score Ice Knives of 35K or so or 15K Icy Rays on ungeared/debuffed people myself. So this is not really about veteran vs freshie, this is more of an issue the entire PvP in NWO has.

My personally opinion is that there should be special PvP sets (new ones) with PvP-only resilience stat that is
    relatively easy to get, so people doing PvP would end up with lots of resistance against enemy players and gimped damage (i.e. resilience would replace stats such as crit, power...). This way you can model class damage without damaging and affecting PvE as Cryptic likes to do (TRs 1 shot people in PvP? Let's nerf their abilities. Oh, now they do lame dungeon damage and cannot compete in PvE? Who cares... we don't").

Also as a freshie you should fight other freshies, but NWO will set you up against random teams, which sometimes will be premades with people with perfects and Rank 8-10s, which will make your team leave.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2013
    PvP has been ignored since launch, basically. It has no ranking system, no gear score or enchantment brackets to separate new players from fully geared vets, and no separation between premades and pugs, not to mention no new maps or modes. It's kind of a joke. The developers obviously don't take it seriously and neither should you.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    PvP has been ignored since launch, basically. It has no ranking system, no gear score or enchantment brackets to separate new players from fully geared vets, and no separation between premades and pugs, not to mention no new maps or modes. It's kind of a joke. The developers obviously don't take it seriously and neither should you.

^^this.

If you do decide to take it seriously, then you'll need to farm your a.s.s. off in PvE to get decent gear. Thankfully, unlike WoW's resilience system which actually is part of a structured and fully supported PvP system, your PvE gear can be used directly in PvP. Also, you can,

1. often get good blue/Rare gear extremely cheaply from the Auction House to use in PvP, while you are farming a weapon.
    2. do Gauntlgrym to farm Coins for high level weapons or sets (depending on class some may be better than others).
    3. adapt your PvP playstyle to be as highly defensive and sniper-oriented while remaining effective. You can also use your mount to travel to the furthest objective in Domination, directly contributing to winning a game without having demon gear. As your gear improves, your playstyle options and ability to go offensive improves.

Believe me, we've all been through it. Some of us even multiple times!
  • zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now that blue items drop frequently, you can get some of the best PvP gear for less than 10k ad total (if that).
    (^^If you have any questions about which gear, send me a message here or in-game, i'd be happy to help^^)
    You'd still need to enchant them. For that I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the nodes in Rothe Valley (dungeneering, nature, thief, etc.) You'll get a number of rank 3 and 4 enchantments from these. When you have enough, you should combine them to make rank 5s and enchant your gear with those. Rank 5 enchantments are a good way to start.
    For the actual armor set, gauntlgrym is an easy method if you are online a lot, or you can take your chances with farming PvE, or even glory farm for the PvP t1 set if you can stand pvping before you have good armor.
    It's really easy to get gear that can benefit you in PvP. Then from there you just have to familiarize yourself with techniques and you'll be a match for some veteran players. Obviously having much better gear gives an advantage in PvP, but I've seen some lower gear score people really do well in PvP.
    Another thing that could help is to find a nice guild group to PvP with.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I don't get this criticism, at all. I am a casual player- an hour a night weeknights with the occasional 2 hour splurge on the weekends. Much of my nwo time is spent in pvp. The other half is spent doing the standard missions/dungeons/skirmishes. I read a LITTLE and watched a couple youtube vids before starting my nwo toon, and came up with a basic build/gear/playstyle concept that I have followed all along. I don't farm anything, am a fresh level 60 (since last night) and have a gs of 9863 which I know is not great. Yet level 60 pvp for me has been 2/3rds win. I have yet to do an epic dungeon. Around lvl 58 I went to ah>expire time>epic and snagged a shield and weapon for a decent price. No t2 gear.

I am not sure how many people get the idea that pvp in nwo is about keeping as many nodes blue for as long as possible and if node is red it at least needs to be red/blue. It is more about that than winning fights, though of course not being slapped around silly can help. You can have someone in the very best gear that money an buy but if they consistently fight off nodes, fail to back cap, fail to at least contest red nodes....they are going to consistently lose.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • terhikkiterhikki Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2013
    I never found pvp in NW that easy or hard. Sometimes ppl with super sets just came along, it happens. Sometimes you can't get off the platform, since other team is down waiting and your team just quitted suprisingly.

It's just that in every mmorpg I've played, pvp has been the best thing I love about it. Now just in NW... It is boring, stupid, boring, hmm did I mention boring? Game developers don't pay any attention to pvp and well it shows. Now I only play pvp when it's needed and that is Gauntlgrym.

But if you really want to play pvp, ppl have told you various ways now how to deal with it. GG is easy and quite fast way to get epic gear to play pvp with. Though after you get your decent pvp gear, honor becomes obsolete, which is amazingly stupid too..
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As long as, you know what to do in pvp. It is not too bad. Here is one of the threads for beginner in pvp:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?492261-A-Beginners-Guide-to-Successful-PvP-by-Alysin-Chains

Few more things:
    - Do not be shy to purchase a bunch of pvp potions. They are cheap and a legit way to help you survive through hard times.

- During the preparation time, take a look of your teammate gs then follow the guy with the highest gs. If everyone has the same low gs, then stick with your team, do not wander alone. It is the nature that weaks should stick together or strongers.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • georgian07georgian07 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hi all.when game is opened i stardet play,and no one kills me,but because of i dont know good english,and dont know where i can get good items,what's skills what means.power-feats.i dropt this game,and where donators are king,peoples sharers theyr styles. "Stealt rogue" i think its are idiotizm,you just stay and look how he kill you :)) and really im to make'd critical strike 20 000k 15 000k 10 000k when people really have 20 000 hp :)) im join much dungeons but can't open last boxses its locked.etc. i can't understand why this boxes locked,and game not have any ranking,or open map where when you want go and make pvp,how to WOW or etc. gamesyou just join pvp and 5vs5 its not a funny :)))) and i think gaungrym pvp are good but its not opened alltime, and i see pic where you say 4v5 it is impossible ? we winned 3v5 2v5 to,but we losted to 2v5 3v5 because are much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at pvp.why you maked gold system when you cant buy anything with gold,just potions and etc. **** items.all races are friends and too much idiotism,tnx you all "AssassiN"
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For the people that are saying "pvp has been easy for me" I have to ask how often you actually play. If it's 1-2 hours every once in awhile you don't really have an idea of the state of pvp in NW right now. The veterans have been candid with their responses and I can say with certainty that new level 60's have it rough, this is also dependent on class.
    For the OP, there are some great guides that will help you gear up using blue items until you can get better. I'm not going to focus on the negatives of the current system but will instead tell you that we have a great and helpful pvp community.
    We're all waiting on some new content and that does play into some of the responses you're seeing. My suggestion is have fun with it and even if you're getting steamrolled, ask for some 1v1 or to have the opposing team let you cap node.
    Most premades (I can't speak for all)are honestly just looking for a good fight. They don't want to rolfstomp your team.
    You'll find that just talking to them about skill usage and gear will be very educational and help you be a better player.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Be careful with this notion that you can get good blues for cheap. The blues that have PvP value are crushingly expensive. Especially so if they stack regen and defense. Most of them may be dirt cheap, but whether they are good or not is debatable while the good ones can be as costly as a purple and is some cases far more expensive.

Example - Right now on the AH there is a +6 Exemplar's Chain Armor of Youth with a 350,000 starting bid and a 699,999 buyout. At that price you can get the armor piece from two of the DC class' T2 sets. The Grand Templar pieces range from 275,000 to 400,000. You will get the Beacon of Faith piece for under 200k.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited November 2013
    A basic understanding of value vs. cost would obviously come into play. There are still plenty of blues and lower tier purples to be had at a reasonable price. Just because someone put an absurd AD amount on an item doesn't make it the cats meow.
    Which is exactly why I advised him to check out the guides out there that would be helpful to him.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I mostly disagree that AD prices are not an indication of in-game value. That +6 Exemplar's Chain Armor of Youth packs;
    420 recovery
    743 defense
    368 regeneration

No piece of T2 armor for a DC can match that defense or regeneration, they don't even come close. It has nearly twice the defense of even the Mircale Healer piece and no T2 piece has regen as a stat. Also, in PvP the elites easily match a blue of this standard with their existing purples to put together formidable builds. This blue piece would be the centerpiece of a tanky/regen build, a build that may not have impressive kill/heal numbers but will be able to hold points and in a team that wants to win outright and not just worry about who gets the most kills, that is an invaluable team member.

There are exceptions. For 20k AD you can get two Ancient Priest's Rings and that is 1232 HP, 308 defense & 308 deflection, which is a fair bit of extra beef at a very cheap price, but for the most part gear that makes PvP ''easier'' will cost you a fair amount of AD because everyone wants it. Prices go up when demand is high.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited November 2013
    I think you're getting too specific Staggy. I'm generalizing for the sake of not making it seem so daunting a task.
    Knowledge is power. The OP just needs to do some reading, make some friends in game and have fun.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    whole game is not made new players friendly ;/ we who started first will always have huge adavntage we could drag and kill boss,we could buy cheap gear on ah thx to BoP,it was a lot more easy to farm glory for gear 1.4k per run,we could sell this gear and buy better on ah from dungeons new player have only 2 choice now mostly to just play foundry for fun or if want to do epics charge and get 12k+gs+stone+g or p vorpal so we dominate pvp if we play even my dps gwf kills
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013
    Guys,
    they are alot of guilds who are doing constantly PvP.
    Try to join some of them and u will get better and better if u are whiling to learn something and to improve ur skill and toon-build.

Solo players are Doomed in PvP.
  • aiausaiaus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    YOU SEE THAT DEVS?
    >
    ranncore wrote: »

Maybe You should be listening to the people who say such. This Game isn't "Only Based on PVE, It's PVP As well.

STOP Ignoring it and DO something about it Geez been taking so many mouths only playing with PVE programming sted of focusing on PVP. LOTS of people Live for PVP for this game......That is all.

PS: Fire those guys/girls who are making weapon skins they are killing D&D. Weapons are ment to look AWESOME not small or ugly.
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Man, I just can't see how people get so hurt over gettin' stomped in PvP. You kill some you die some, big deal. Win matches, loose matches....re-Q and have fun. That's just my point of view (which is obviously is not shared by some).

From what I've seen, the high end PvP guilds more often than not will entertain anyone's desire to 1v1. They allow you to cap points even if you do not ask. What I also see a lot of is the ones who start whining because they are getting stomped...offer them the opportunity to cap, they insult you. Offer to 1v1 they insult you, insisting that you're to credit card happy because they are losing so badly. Everyone wants to win and they want it to be easy. If it's not easy for them the tears start flowin.

I have fun in just about all of my matches because PvP is what I make it. And it's not just fun 'cause I'm winning because truth is, I get my *** stomped more often than not but that does not deter me. I enjoy the competition and it's more fun if you are out matched and pull off a win or have an absolute battle for the last scrap of points even if you narrowly lose.

Even new to 60 players can learn from doing it often and can be quite good. Had my *** busted a couple times from low geared players who's tactics were sound.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Never forget about the fact, that intelligence is very important and plays a big role in PvP.
    It's a huge factor to consider, besides gear & gems & mounts, etc.

Have a nice rest - weekend.

• josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I PVP with FaceControl and Authentic (now 'Reborn') on occassion. Always fun -- get to run with skilled & geared players from a variety of guilds. It's a different experience than guild-premade (no voice com, etc), but fun. It's also fun to q solo. All depends on mood and personal preferences.

I don't understand the name-calling, etc. FaceControl doesn't form groups to "farm pugs". It's almost always for PMvsPM. Sometimes it takes time for both teams to form, so he'll random-q us until ready.

It's not much fun face-stomping or getting face-stomped. So long as both sides of these unfortunate situations are respectful, some fun can still be salvaged.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    I PVP with FaceControl and Authentic on occassion. Always fun -- get to run with skilled & geared players from a variety of guilds. It's a different experience than guild-premade (no voice com, etc), but fun. It's also fun to q solo. All depends on mood and personal preferences.

I don't understand the name-calling, etc. FaceControl doesn't form groups to "farm pugs". It's almost always for PMvsPM. Sometimes it takes time for both teams to form, so he'll random-q us until ready.

It's not much fun face-stomping or getting face-stomped. So long as both sides of these unfortunate situations are respectful, some fun can still be salvaged.

Thanks for the possitive back-up...

Want to note that we change name to ' Reborn.' becouse we had members of 2 different guilds that currently joined us.

On topic: Problem in this Neverwinter Community is that everybody thinks he is the best and the word ' respect' is tabu.
    People think the Perfects and the Rank 8+ come from heaven and that the players that have them made account yesterday.
    The only interesting part for me and many other still remaining players is PvP.
    Dont blame us for not making it easy for u guys.Blame the People who are responsible for the static position PvP is at.
    edited November 2013

There's nothing respectful camping a pug with 4x10K GS persons below the spawn when you're 500 points in advance. Repeatedly, on more than one occasion. Never-ever was a call for 1 vs 1 responded or offered, or an offer to cap points for those that might need the glory.

If it's not fun to face-stomp people, stop queuing as a PM with perfects against pugs. What do you expect? You make it sound these are some "unfortunate" occurrences, yet they are EXACTLY what will happen if you queue a PM randomly.

Nothing to salvage.
    edited November 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    There's nothing respectful camping a pug with 4x10K GS persons below the spawn when you're 500 points in advance. Repeatedly, on more than one occasion. Never-ever was a call for 1 vs 1 responded or offered, or an offer to cap points for those that might need the glory.

If it's not fun to face-stomp people, stop queuing as a PM with perfects against pugs. What do you expect? You make it sound these are some "unfortunate" occurrences, yet they are EXACTLY what will happen if you queue a PM randomly.

Nothing to salvage.

(directed at FaceControl) I want you to use the PM channel and set up PM vs PM matches when you're in a PvP geared party

When I'm in a boring 300-0 match, I typically offer 1v1s, let cap, and/or leave. I'm sorry you had a different experience. It's not the norm (unless against TRs ;). As a DC, there is literally no fun in those matches w/o doing any of the above. No strategy, skill. Nothing.

That said, when no premades want to go, random q-ing w/ a group can lead to fun matches and meeting good people. It's usually less frustrating than random q-ing solo because you don't have to explain basics in every single match.

Sitting and waiting all day just for the rare opportunity to do a PMvsPM = no fun. Spending half the time typing basics (only to be ignored) is also not fun. The situation isn't ideal, so we do what we can.

Good suggestion on the PMvsPM channel. It's what I use. The test server is also good, but few q there.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • dgfdsdgsgh3dgfdsdgsgh3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    I want you to use the PM channel and set up PM vs PM matches when you're in a PvP geared party. As I said, sometimes even 1-2 guys with perfects and PvP experience is enough to break a pug match completely, and you queue 5 of them :\

As for respect, there's none from me towards you or players like you. Respect is earned through actions, you can ask for it 1000 years while still mobbing pugs, from me respect is never gonna happen.

It is true I don't know you, what I know is your PvP behavior. No worries, you're not alone in it, many like you.

As another CW who always queues alone and gets his *** kicked I agree with this post.

The deal is if I see 3 people from same guild in opposing side I QUIT, instantly, just to deny those premades the pleasure of massacre for my part.

And then we see threads going for hundreds of posts wondering why people quit PvP. If I were a dev I'd slip a feature to game where if you queue as premade to pvp and end up agains pug you spawn in hell fighting demons instead.

NO respect.
    edited November 2013
    As another CW who always queues alone and gets his *** kicked I agree with this post.

The deal is if I see 3 people from same guild in opposing side I QUIT, instantly, just to deny those premades the pleasure of massacre for my part.

And then we see threads going for hundreds of posts wondering why people quit PvP. If I were a dev I'd slip a feature to game where if you queue as premade to pvp and end up agains pug you spawn in hell fighting demons instead.

NO respect.

It's interesting, because I'll sometimes quit immediately if I don't recognize anyone in the opposing party. Likely no fun, and no one to learn from. On the other hand, I'll stay if I see that other group is a premade. Once the rest of my pug team leaves in the first 30 seconds, can be fun to 1v1, test stuff, friend people, etc.

It's one way to handle the situation. The problem isn't premades. Or pugs. It's match-making, as has been pointed out 100s of times. No reason to insult other players suffering from the same problem.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
    edited November 2013
    When I'm in a boring 300-0 match, I typically offer 1v1s, let cap, and/or leave. I'm sorry you had a different experience. It's not the norm (unless against TRs ;). As a DC, there is literally no fun in those matches w/o doing any of the above. No strategy, skill. Nothing.
    The situation isn't ideal, so we do what we can.

Yes, that's what a gentleman would do and if I were to play against you, in my eyes you've already earned the respect some seem to crave.

And it's obviously true that this tension is primarily caused by lack of action from the developers. So many good PvP suggestion topics, they flood this subforum, and I've seen no response ever.

Thing is, some people choose to take advantage of the lack of a proper matchmaking system, while others choose to still act in a considerate way regardless the differences in gear, skill and score. I've met a few pro PvPers this way when I remained alone against their teams, we chatted, we did 1 vs 1, I obviously lost most but it didn't matter, it was cool to meet them and talk to them. But some PvPers are way too eager to farm the other undergeared team after the match is done (this usually means the 1st middle confrontation, when 1-2 people will invariably leave the pug side).

In conclusion, it is the developer job to fix these issues, you cannot ask nicely for example the PvE exploiter to stop exploiting bosses, you have to patch the exploit. Same goes for PvP. You cannot ask nicely the out-for-blood guy in perfects and a PM to stop farming the undergeared pug, the developer has to step in and put matchmaking and ladders.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I come from 5 years in Age of Conan whish is far far more advanced in pvp then NW. They started out with premade but banished them for obvious reasons.
    You can queue as premade vs premade but then you have to go to seperate queue system.

Persephone is just ahead of his time am sure the solution will come here also. Now that boones have been implemented it will further increase the differance between new players and old players and in AoC the implement pvp where all have same basic gear/skills.
    They also have pvp gear and pve gear whish you can use freely in pvp.

Anyhow PM bis geared groups that hunt pugs and taunt them in chat standing below the ress pad killing anybody what jumps down even if they called 1-1 first is nothing but bullies and sad people.

To make these bis geared PM groups going against pugs (with ts communication or the like ofc) can only be for the reason of feeling mighty at others expence. And most know that peeps that have a need to feel mighty at other peoples expence isent the most harmonious ones.

There is absolutly no challange to a PM bis geared group from a pug and there is no exuce for hunting them beside above reasons.
    edited November 2013
    A *Forced* Separate Q system is not needed. Working w/ friends over voice should be recommended and should provide an advantage over those that random-q. Optional q-system for premades would be a nice-to-have.

Match-making is needed. It's important to send a clear, unified message to the developers: improve level-60 match-making.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mod note: please continue to have a civil conversation about the difficulties of pvp matches for a fresh level 60. respect each other and each other's opinions. if you can't say something nice, please don't say it. continued infractions may be escalated to the community managers. if you need to re-read the community rules of conduct, you can find them here.

please do not respond to this message. instead, send PMs to any of the community moderators or the community managers sominator or cmpinpointerror. thank you.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    PvP is not hard for a fresh lvl 60... PvP is impossible for one.
    One of former guild mates returned the other days and said.. hey lets do a pvp match!, we;ve entered the game and was over in less then a min (opponents left) and he left the game again saying this is a joke: cause truth is that there is no pvp!

Hell even i cant play all my toons as i used to do: I cant gear all of them in perfect, high rank enchants/ farm sets, campaigns and now artifacts. You are increasing an already huge gap between an elder character and a fresh one, result being a bad experience for all of us!

All successful games have a strong pvp component and the main reason why they are so successful is that they are making easy for the new players to catch up. Gear is somewhat preset, skills are also balanced for it!
    You, the ones that are making decisions, should really sit at a table and think this in more depth cause now u are going to start to spend more money balancing things because they are complicating way to much! Suggestion (i am pretty sure that one hundred people said that before) : Create another tab for our char, like the one with fashion, add pvp gear and items usable only in that tab similar to fashion (let us keep our visual from our pve gear) and create a dual spec cause pve and pvp are different things.