test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric Disciple - companion development.

grymdaelgrymdael Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

my cleric disciple is now at level 20.

I am wondering how best to develop the companion from here.

Which runestones to equip?

What equipment to gear her up with?

Finally is it worth the 500, 000 AD to upgrade her to the next level.

Thoughts, and advice most welcome.
Post edited by grymdael on

Comments

• xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now that your companion is level 20, can you post the (damage) of her healing flame as listed when you click the icon for it? Default damage at level 15 is something like 44-58 (or something like that). What is it at level 20?

Thanks!
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd vote no on the upgrade. Healing is at a flat percentage and doesn't increase with level. Its skillset is....meh.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    3 eldritch runes (augments)

purple gear with power/crit and whatever other stats you want. don't spend a lot here because diminishing returns. 5-10k per pc gets you within 95% of stuff worth millions...

don't bother upgrading it, you only get a few stat increases in the single % digits, SO not worth the $$
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    3 eldritch runes (augments)

purple gear with power/crit and whatever other stats you want. don't spend a lot here because diminishing returns. 5-10k per pc gets you within 95% of stuff worth millions...

don't bother upgrading it, you only get a few stat increases in the single % digits, SO not worth the $$

I am going to have to disagree here. Since the heal is on a 30 second cooldown, I feel that slotting for recovery is your best bet. In the defensive slots I typically slot for extra HP or defense, so she can survive longer. The rune that gives you a % of her stats isn't really worth it - even at 10% you;d only be seeing like +40 or so to a few stats, and that's with very good gear and such...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I upgraded my Cleric to 30.
    WHY?
    Because that is the only pet I ever have out.
    The difference between 20 and 30?
    Only thing I have noticed is she never dies...at all...ever...
    I do suspect that groups are benefiting from her heal having the addition 150% range.
    But worth the money? that's extremely subjective. For me, it was AD well spent.
    Better spent than, say, selling AD for ZEN to open lock boxes with keys....
  • xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Leeford, Can you please tell me the damage (listed) for healing flame. Its the weak power for the cleric vs the strong power (can't remember the name) that does 20 percent heal over 10 seconds. thanks!
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I am going to have to disagree here. Since the heal is on a 30 second cooldown, I feel that slotting for recovery is your best bet. In the defensive slots I typically slot for extra HP or defense, so she can survive longer. The rune that gives you a % of her stats isn't really worth it - even at 10% you;d only be seeing like +40 or so to a few stats, and that's with very good gear and such...

I started kitting out my lvl 15 cleric w/ defense and deflect gear, and she survives longer. Might pop for the next level for her, we'll see, but it beats carrying a sh-tton of healing potions around.
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Leeford, Can you please tell me the damage (listed) for healing flame. Its the weak power for the cleric vs the strong power (can't remember the name) that does 20 percent heal over 10 seconds. thanks!

Sure, I can do that tonight and post it with a followup post.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    recovery doesn't work on pets. their skills that is, it does work for augments.

if you use 3 eldritch level 6 or 7 that's 8/8.5% x3 = about 25% of her stats as yours. no it's not much but it's better than putting defense or deflect on your level 15 cleric so she can survive 1.02 hits instead of 1 hit :p just don't put HP on pets it doesn't transfer to you.

I don't know about levelling her up, I think if you are going to spend the 900k it costs (?) better off buying a purple healer snake thing whatever its called (Lillend?)
    edited November 2013

Sacred flame is hitting in the 90's and critting in the 200's (note I don't have my cleric well runed or geared really)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I use rank 5 profane runestones on my Faithful Initiates (green quality tiefling version of the Cleric Disciple) and give them a level 60 green icon and necklace with more defense. Secondary equipment stat, you could go regen. They don't die in Sharandar content, ever, unless the spiders get them. They don't typically even come close in the instance boss fights.

In group content, they still get put away because the party DC makes them redundant.

While playing solo or duo, I would much rather have a battle/healer pet upright and doing something useful than be drawing a small amount of stats from it while it stays alive, for the brief amount of time it's even able to stay alive without giving it some defensive bonuses. If I want my companion to act as an augment, then I'll use an augment companion and get *all* the stats from it.

Incidentally, I find that if I am wearing regen gear, the solo content goes by quicker if I use a properly outfitted battle pet to help with DPS/knockdowns/interrupts instead. The Guardian pack dire wolf is very nice, but you've got a lot of options in all those "useless" green striker companions that have been made available from events.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    and give them a level 60 green icon and necklace

Only greens? When blues and even purples are pretty darn cheap?
  • stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still have mine at lvl 15. Screw the high cost to upgrade them. If enough people would not spend the ad on it, they'd lower it.

I went all defensive on runes. hp, and def. If and when I get high lvl ones I'll try and figure out what's best to stack. Very hard to do since I don't use wards on them. I save them for my character.
    edited November 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    Only greens? When blues and even purples are pretty darn cheap?

You can get 125 each to 2 stats you want on a green, or 250 to a single stat. What combination you want on the equipment depends on what kinds of runes you can put on the companion. Level 60 green items can often be purchased for 1-25 AD, maybe as much as a few hundred. When these are good enough, I find it difficult to justify spending 10k+ just to have a companion in purple gear. Gear on companions used to not bind, which meant you had the option of reselling later if you gave one something really valuable. Now that it binds, I'd say it's smarter to outfit them as cheaply as possible.

On blue items, you can get 133/133/110 or possibly 243/133 to desired stats, but not all stats work on companions, and items can't roll with all possible stat combinations, or they'll only come up on certain unique pieces that either have lower numbers, or add in not-useful stats, or are expensive. If you're looking at a blue "of youth" item, you're getting 110 regen for your companion as opposed to the 125 you'd get from a green.

The most worthwhile stats to look at putting on companions, in my opinion, are defense and then either regen for casters or life steal for fighters. Anything else is far less functional in keeping them up and helping you instead of lying on the ground while you grit your teeth and mutter to yourself about how useless they are.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can get 125 each to 2 stats you want on a green, or 250 to a single stat. What combination you want on the equipment depends on what kinds of runes you can put on the companion. Level 60 green items can often be purchased for 1-25 AD, maybe as much as a few hundred. When these are good enough, I find it difficult to justify spending 10k+ just to have a companion in purple gear. Gear on companions used to not bind, which meant you had the option of reselling later if you gave one something really valuable. Now that it binds, I'd say it's smarter to outfit them as cheaply as possible.

On blue items, you can get 133/133/110 or possibly 243/133 to desired stats, but not all stats work on companions, and items can't roll with all possible stat combinations, or they'll only come up on certain unique pieces that either have lower numbers, or add in not-useful stats, or are expensive. If you're looking at a blue "of youth" item, you're getting 110 regen for your companion as opposed to the 125 you'd get from a green.

The most worthwhile stats to look at putting on companions, in my opinion, are defense and then either regen for casters or life steal for fighters. Anything else is far less functional in keeping them up and helping you instead of lying on the ground while you grit your teeth and mutter to yourself about how useless they are.

Gotcha, but I think there are probably some purples worth checking out. Thickgristle's Sturdy Belt is under 8k currently and gives 575hp and 144 regen (and some others). 8k is pretty darn cheap in my book (1 day's invocations and some daily events) #justsayin
    edited November 2013
    Thickgristle's Sturdy Belt is one where I'll grant the exception, especially as a patient shopper can find them for 6k (salvage cost) or even slightly less, though I do find life steal preferable to regen on my melee pets, which are the ones that tend to roll with a belt slot.

Neverwinter Census 2017