test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter - Hunter Ranger Class Preview

Comments

• wildfire412001wildfire412001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    question? if there's already a new companion and a new mount what will at least semi go with the Hunter Ranger, is there gonna be a new profession as well and if so, what is it? thanks!!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is no new profession required, as the ranger will use weaponsmithing and leatherworking for gear.

If any other new non-class-specific professions are planned, they haven't been revealed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    question? if there's already a new companion and a new mount what will at least semi go with the Hunter Ranger, is there gonna be a new profession as well and if so, what is it? thanks!!

Bear, tiger, or wolf/worg mount, and bear, wolf, or sprite companion fit well with the ranger. Heck, even the new hunt rider companion, boar, or hawk companions fit the theme.

I presume that weaponsmithing and leatherworking will be used for the ranger as well.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Bear, tiger, or wolf/worg mount, and bear, wolf, or sprite companion fit well with the ranger. Heck, even the new hunt rider companion, boar, or hawk companions fit the theme.

I presume that weaponsmithing and leatherworking will be used for the ranger as well.

Yes, Ranger uses weaponsmithing and leatherworking to make it's weapons and armor.
  • fistiganfistigan Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to say im a little confused, in the game Rangers are the hero class Giant killers, trackers some of the best two hand fighting bonuses etc.. but in here now there is next to no control no real damage save range and with the aggro draw you always end up in melee at some point with no way to beck out and fight at range maybe a shot or two its a very labor intensive class at level compared to others. feats give you big damage at range but there is no real way to keep enemies at bay especially in solo boss fights. its rough around the edges considerably.
  • arkanorrarkanorr Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    The Hunter Ranger will be an essential member of your next dungeon delve party when Module 2: Shadowmantle is live!

Learn more about the next playable class in Neverwinter: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1018611

If you can make full customise for all class it woulb be cool.....Some like in PWI....
  • arkanorrarkanorr Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you can make full customization fo characters (expecialy for face) it would be great.
  • madmouserinmadmouserin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great, now all they have to do is make Aasimar a playable race and I can die happy.:D
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great, now all they have to do is make Aasimar a playable race and I can die happy.:D

Assimar were replaced with Devas in 4th edition.
  • madmouserinmadmouserin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Assimar were replaced with Devas in 4th edition.

Booooooo, they were my favorite, why weren't Tieflings replaced too?
  • galykgalyk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The ranger class will be for free members?
  • empa88empa88 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    galyk wrote: »

yes it is free
    GF lvl 60
    TR lvl 60
    HR lvl 30
    CW lvl 30
    DC lvl 50
    GWF lvl 30
  • rondo5150rondo5150 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ok so now I am really confused, and or I was lied too. I have generated a ton of stuff and gold & AD on the preview server and cannot get an answer to my question. Is all the work and things I did on preview for nothing? When the Ranger comes out, will I have to make a new guy-account-or pay to get another character slot to make a ranger all over again? Or do I have to delete a character and make a ranger from a paid slot on my account? Progress I made in preview, is it lost and a waste of time? Or can I transfer him to the main server so I don't have to start all over again. And, if these questions can get answered, how do I access the answer(s)? as I have never seen any response's to any of my questions.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    galyk wrote: »

The Ranger class will be free. Neverwinter does not have a subscription model, so there is no distinction between paying members and non-paying members...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited November 2013
    rondo5150 wrote: »
    Ok so now I am really confused, and or I was lied too. I have generated a ton of stuff and gold & AD on the preview server and cannot get an answer to my question. Is all the work and things I did on preview for nothing? When the Ranger comes out, will I have to make a new guy-account-or pay to get another character slot to make a ranger all over again? Or do I have to delete a character and make a ranger from a paid slot on my account? Progress I made in preview, is it lost and a waste of time? Or can I transfer him to the main server so I don't have to start all over again. And, if these questions can get answered, how do I access the answer(s)? as I have never seen any response's to any of my questions.

Characters on the preview server stay on the preview server. It is intended for testing purposes. Whether you consider that a waste of time is up to you.

If you don't have any slots left to make a new character, then you will either have to free up a slot or buy more slots.
  • jackwolfschinerjackwolfschiner Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The biggest thing that I would like to know is when it will here to play? I have always preferred the Ranger over other range attackers.
  • caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Before the end of the year" is the only answer we have. However, you can sign up for Preview and play with the class now.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Characters on the preview server stay on the preview server. It is intended for testing purposes. Whether you consider that a waste of time is up to you.

If you don't have any slots left to make a new character, then you will either have to free up a slot or buy more slots.

Additionally, character slots used on preview do not count towards your account total.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • rajanixisarajanixisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited November 2013
    rondo5150 wrote: »
    Or can I transfer him to the main server so I don't have to start all over again. And, if these questions can get answered, how do I access the answer(s)? as I have never seen any response's to any of my questions.

I can't think of any game that lets you transfer from Test to Live. This is to prevent issues with exploits, bugs, and issues like having content on test that isn't on Live cause issues for the live server.

Don't forget, you can make unlimited copies from Live to Test. If you could go from Test to Live it'd be real easy to dupe rares.
    -Rajani Isa
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    annoying thing is i only have 2 slots on preview when i have 9 on live server
  • xdeckarxdeckar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For a 5 man dungeon, you'd want:

1 defender (guardian Fighter)
    1 leader (divine Cleric)
    1 controller (control Wizard)
    2 strikers (swords hunter Ranger, bow hunter Ranger)

Ta-da :D

so the GWF and TR are now useles, i don't think so
  • chimera855chimera855 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The changes they made in damage were too severe. At level 40 I was pumping through potions more than any class I've played. Did the respec to make him more melee to see if that would help but no, melee was weaker.

I think it was forgotten that the HR "HAD" to be hit for every strike from Split the Sky. Taking that much damage from 4 or 5 mobs at once and not being able to take them down sucks, because I could do that with the other classes.

And Rapid Shot needs at least 1.25 the damage of a single magic missle since it gets 3 hits at the end instead of just 1 more shot. That's just to make him the same as CW, but he's more a striker class than a CC one.

And the melee abilities that coincide with the ranged ones... really do suck worse than the ranged stuff. They are "range"rs right? Shouldn't their ranged abilities be their main form of combat? Thereby doing more damage with their bow? Answer: Yes, at least that part is correct, the only part that got messed up was bringing the ranged down to nearly melee standard.

Weak grasping roots? That's a laugh, they barely last any amount of decent time to do anything significant.

Constricting Arrow? It does the initial damage but no sign of continued damage like what the description suggests since it "constricts". You'd think DoT dmg of some sort along with a snare effect, but no. Another disappointment.

Rain of Arrows/Swords? I think not, the AE size for arrows is paultry at best and the mobs move out of the targeted area unless engaged by someone in melee. The sword version doesn't even compare in size to the arrow AE, over half the time mobs around the front of me would take zero dmg... ZERO.

The HR has nothing on the rogue except range, staying out of point blank ae ranges easily. The HR's dmg doesn't even compare. When I've got to use more potions than I ever have, even with cw and their cruddy armor, it means the dmg just isn't there to take down standard mobs at a decent speed.

HR is sad in their current state, there are no real competing reasons to take an HR over a TR or GWF, they are currently more solid in survivability and damage.
  • panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For a 5 man dungeon, you'd want:

1 defender (guardian Fighter)
    1 leader (divine Cleric)
    1 controller (control Wizard)
    2 strikers (swords hunter Ranger, bow hunter Ranger)

Ta-da :D

Man wake up...melee Ranger ONLY for SOLO play...
    Melee Ranger < TR :D

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If you are playing your HR as *either* ranged or melee then you are missing out on a lot of damage. (That is not directed at you specifically, I just picked your post because it was handy). You get the best results out of a HR by using it as the hybrid it is meant to be. Stance switch often, but only when it is advantageous, and it is easy to learn when you need to stance switch. It does force a more "active" playstyle than any other class though, and it will not be for everyone.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

You do know the combat tree is totally different from the archery tree right Combat leans towards High AoE Melee dmg the keystone feat in Combat make it so your melee attacks have a chance at striking twice and the second strike is unmitigatable dmg. Aspect of pack or serpent and twin blade storm or blade storm will boost dps even more. Follow up with split the sky even after nerf its still a great AoE encounter Fox Cunning/shift for hard dodge and support + great single target/AoE skill and ME for your get out of jail free card.

Personally i like to use steel cloud Hurricane/forest meditation and Seismic Shot dailies for this build. I was able to go from 30 to 60 quite easily with this build i am a lil bit more open minded then some people so i am open to any ideas but to utterly shot down melee ranger as not viable is false TR and Melee Primary rangers are a different as night and day their dps Yes is Melee but their dps is done in different ways.

Did i mention we deflect more in melee mode I think there's a boon that deals dmg on deflect it mite have a ICD but its nice looking into it. I think it would be nice to combo that with split the sky stand in it with forest meditation deflected become reflects in theory during thats cast time another skill mite be off CD restart you rotation. There other ways to boost dps also campaign boons artifacts also the companion active passives .Not complementing your Melee skills with you AoE ranged skill is killing your dmg remember your a hybrid no matter what and you should act like one.

Oh have you seen the T2 sets for HR They are all kick *** Royal Guard in particular has a chance of reducing the recharge of your encounters by 30% it would speed up some builds even more thats set also comes with alot of deflection and Armor pen i dont even think you have to worry about that state on HR Grab your self a lightning terror or PF enchant and go to town.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trepanatuetanostrepanatuetanos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    arrows arrows!!!

The most dangerous class!
  • granitesoulgranitesoul Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At level 40 I am having the exact same problems. I go through potions aat an extreme rate even with cleric or Lillian companions. Hard bosses are nearly impossible to beat since they bring swarming minions and the Hunter/Ranger can not withstand them all. After the first shot the HR is swamped and must fight melee, but has nowhere enough power to counter the minions of the boss.. The HR absolutely must be strengthenedb both in ranged and melee offense and in melee defense.

Good job "Chimera" in clarifying the problems

chimera855 wrote: »
    The changes they made in damage were too severe. At level 40 I was pumping through potions more than any class I've played. Did the respec to make him more melee to see if that would help but no, melee was weaker.

I think it was forgotten that the HR "HAD" to be hit for every strike from Split the Sky. Taking that much damage from 4 or 5 mobs at once and not being able to take them down sucks, because I could do that with the other classes.

And Rapid Shot needs at least 1.25 the damage of a single magic missle since it gets 3 hits at the end instead of just 1 more shot. That's just to make him the same as CW, but he's more a striker class than a CC one.

And the melee abilities that coincide with the ranged ones... really do suck worse than the ranged stuff. They are "range"rs right? Shouldn't their ranged abilities be their main form of combat? Thereby doing more damage with their bow? Answer: Yes, at least that part is correct, the only part that got messed up was bringing the ranged down to nearly melee standard.

Weak grasping roots? That's a laugh, they barely last any amount of decent time to do anything significant.

Constricting Arrow? It does the initial damage but no sign of continued damage like what the description suggests since it "constricts". You'd think DoT dmg of some sort along with a snare effect, but no. Another disappointment.

Rain of Arrows/Swords? I think not, the AE size for arrows is paultry at best and the mobs move out of the targeted area unless engaged by someone in melee. The sword version doesn't even compare in size to the arrow AE, over half the time mobs around the front of me would take zero dmg... ZERO.

The HR has nothing on the rogue except range, staying out of point blank ae ranges easily. The HR's dmg doesn't even compare. When I've got to use more potions than I ever have, even with cw and their cruddy armor, it means the dmg just isn't there to take down standard mobs at a decent speed.

HR is sad in their current state, there are no real competing reasons to take an HR over a TR or GWF, they are currently more solid in survivability and damage.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good damage and decent defensive abilities combined with extreme mobility meant to harass and retreat an enemy rather than all out in your face blow for blow fighting. The HR looks to be one of the most tactically minded of the classes and I think the vast majority of players who pick it up without embracing the skirmish fight style are in for a disappointing experience.

Just in case those who are surprised by the rangers gameplay missed my first post. The HR in its current incarnation isn't meant to replace the TR in groups as a primary striker. You will be disappointed if that is what you were expecting. You want a ranged striker that can dish out gobs of damage then roll a whisperknife.
    For those who can accept the skirmish combat style and fully utilize the versatility, you will find they are quite enjoyable to play. If its not your cup of tea well hey, there are other classes that may be.
    I will per empt this next statement with a disclaimer. I am not speaking of any person or persons in particular but I believe the ranger was made for a more advanced style of play, some players may not be able to adapt to it.

I see the new 5 man group being:
    1 GF
    1 CW
    1 DC
    1 TR
    1 HR

You have tactically sound group with great synergy here and a nature paragon HR will make them godly
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    caexar wrote: »
    Just in case those who are surprised by the rangers gameplay missed my first post. The HR in its current incarnation isn't meant to replace the TR in groups as a primary striker. You will be disappointed if that is what you were expecting. You want a ranged striker that can dish out gobs of damage then roll a whisperknife.
    For those who can accept the skirmish combat style and fully utilize the versatility, you will find they are quite enjoyable to play. If its not your cup of tea well hey, there are other classes that may be.
    I will per empt this next statement with a disclaimer. I am not speaking of any person or persons in particular but I believe the ranger was made for a more advanced style of play, some players may not be able to adapt to it.

I see the new 5 man group being:
    1 GF
    1 CW
    1 DC
    1 TR
    1 HR

You have tactically sound group with great synergy here and a nature paragon HR will make them godly

When you run Nature ranger you have to run forrest lord t2 set the two were made for each other it gives extra buffs on top of the buffs you give to the party. And it had a but load of recovery If you combine that with Int on ranger makes for a very fast buffing build i would take fox cunning giving the whole party a force dodge is just godly and stag heart. You can get the CD down so low on fox cunning its almost staple for nature build.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't like how they <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> leaves when they dodge. Makes me feel like a fairy:(