test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Channel "First_time_dungeoneer"

skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
/first_time_dungeoneer

After sitting around and never being able to land a group, I decided to start this custom channel and see if I could enlist the "newbs" or the "scrubs" or the people that didn't feel like running through dungeons, exploiting bugs, or being overly critical, or not really having kittens if we don't survive the dungeon or wipe or whatever.

I just want to experience some of the dungeons either successfully or after 10 or 20 injury kits and failing. I'm 45 years old and I am really far past the run through dungeons, leet dude push push that can go on, and just want a more casual channel that is willing to hopefully be full of folks that will just join up and try an epic dungeon.

If we don't have the stuff to finish the dungeon, so be it. If someone needs to take a bathroom break, so be it. I would hope that this channel would be populated by folks that don't kick people off the team at the end or do dirty tricks. Hopefully it will draw to other grandpas and grandmas like myself that are not in a huge hurry and just want to run through some dungeons without asking past what my Gear score is, or my fastest run through whatever dungeon x is etc etc.

Thanks for your time,
Post edited by skarlspeed on

Comments

• l3l3l3l3l3l3l3l3 Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2013
    Born 1968.

Not a grandpa yet.

I will try and remember to join your channel if my memory doesnt fail me.

edit: im not a ****, and i have all classes but tr upto 60, but wouldnt mind being able to find chilled out groups. Some pugs have been 20-30 minutes of nonstop hell.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nice idea. I don't run epic dungeons with anyone except my guildies because of the stuff I've heard about queueing, except I almost never run epic dungeons as a result because my schedule is weird. Good to have another way to find people who aren't in it for the exploits.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Good idea..Many like myself are scared of grps. I don't want to get yelled at learning. Just need someone to teach what grps want. GWF so I know folks don't want us. I have no mike. Not allowed here. The yapping at night distrubes other patients.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'll tell Dad to try it too. He's 58. A not stealthy TR..:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm no grandpa, and I'm not sure about how to join your custom channel but count me in. :) I most usually do not play in pick-up groups myself and had to experience all the dungeons with people I know well and it slowed the learning process down for me. Never played with bug exploits while everyone else was doing it. Though I'm not much of a newbie anymore, I'd like to be able to assist people who wish to learn some of the ropes or experience things just for the heck of it.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Todesfaelle: when you log in next, type /channel_join "First_time_dungeoneer" into the chat. It will join the channel for you and you can customize under Chat Settings if you'd like.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks. I really have no savvy for these sort of things, apparently. I'll be sure to join up later once I log in! See you guys there. :)
  • andferne3andferne3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'm (Trickster Rogue) usually running around with my girlfriend (Devoted Cleric) and my brother (Greater Weapon Fighter). We still have not tried many of the Epic tiered dungeons but are wanting to. We do not random que for many of the reasons mentioned already. I'll join the channel and try to get them to as well. We would love to have some laid back people to try and run these with that do not mind a slow paced, or learning process.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is a great idea. I'd also like to shamelessly plug the NW_Legit_Community channel - we don't use cheats or exploits, and overall are a very patient group of players!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey I guess I posted in the wrong place. Anyway, I'll log into nw_legit_community and hopefully some patient folks will pick me up for a few runs as well. I just want to see all of the game :)
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'll join this channel. I don't mind going slow and learning the dungeon, or exploring it completely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    skarlspeed wrote: »
    Hey I guess I posted in the wrong place. Anyway, I'll log into nw_legit_community and hopefully some patient folks will pick me up for a few runs as well. I just want to see all of the game :)
    . . . . . Nah, it was a decision to move this here as the Moonstone Mask is more of a "Community Helping" orientated area of the forums than the rest. I felt that this thread and the other channel thread were getting shoved off the pages too fast by general discussions in the main forum. Here, they won't be pushed off so fast and fit in much better with the "Community Helping" theme of this forum. No worries!
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've joined this new channel too -- I don't run a lot of dungeons, but this sounds more like the crowd I'd prefer to do them with. <3
  • jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can join us on the legal channel, we don't care if you are a firts time lvl 60, we help people to lern how to do a dungeon on the legal way. I can tell you, some people took 10-15 mint o kill FULMINORAX whit bug, my guild took 10min to kill it ^^ Why bug it so xD Is one of the most easy boss in all the dungeon. The most hard to kill i found is the final of Gray Wolf Den >< And is a T1 xD. If you wont guys, come say hello to us on the legal chat ^^ See yo soon in game, and have fun ^^
  • grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I've been solo only here so far, but this has my interest for sure. Question though... is voice chat a must? I've never messed around with voice, so not sure how to do it. And once I join, am I always joined? Or do I need to rejoin each time I log in? What if I swap chars? Are they joined as well? What if I only want to log in for a short solo run? Will I still be free to do that??

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all very new stuff to me.
  • msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd like to join this channel. Do I just type this into zone chat? or LFG?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I'd like to join this channel. Do I just type this into zone chat? or LFG?

Just click into the chat typing area, or hit enter, then type in /channel_join First_time_dungeoneer and press enter again. That should get you into it.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    my english is bad ... can I join too?
    edited November 2013
    grandinata wrote: »

I am confident in saying that all are welcome, (as long as you are joining to actually help others and/or are willing to be patient and learn, of course).
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the best option is to find/join a good guild, then when you are in a dungeon run get on teamspeak/raidcall/whatever and do your best to listen to what the more experinced players are telling you.

The problem with PUGS is that

1) They think they know what they are doing when they don't
    2) A lack of communication often due to a lack of voice chat
    3) Sheer exasperation.

As for PUG groups I never pug anything except CN, and only then when I know 2-3 people in the run. When you can clear CN in 40-45 minutes, why spend 2 hours suffering through a fail run for no loot? Why?

But if you want to learn and are willing to work for it and do things like listen and follow directions, feel free to ask me @chemboy613 sometime and chat :D
  • grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    thanks guys!
    Yesterday I joined the channel, and I quickly found a party to the throne of idris and the frozen heart ... both completed!
    @ Chemboy613 ... you add to the list of friends, I have a lot to learn :)

Aeris is my main pg (@grandinata)
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    grandinata wrote: »

I'll tell you a little story. I was stuck in the hospital for a whlie a few years ago (minor stuff, don't worry), and over here, we are usually forced to share the room with someone else. With my luck, I was placed in a room with a woman from another country. Which is fine, except she only spoke Italian. I don't speak Italian at all, so you can imagine the problem. But we were stuck in the same room for three days, and I thought it was going to be horrible. How do you spend three days in the same room with someone who doesn't speak a language you understand? But know what? We were both in this situation, and we tried our best to get along. In the end, we ended up using a lot of gestures and made-up sign language, and we had a great time. Once you get past the language-barrier (or get creative! hehe), you'll quickly notice people are pretty much all the same, no matter where you live. As long as we both accept the situation and try to get along, you'd be surprised what we can accomplish. :)

Anyway, I've done all dungeons up to the Grey Wolf Den (around lvl 40), but can I join the channel anyway? I like running dungeons with newcomers. I can perhaps offer advice when needed, but most of the time, I just tag along and try to have fun. :)
  • msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So I have to say that I joined this channel and there is never anyone in it when I'm in game. It's pretty much like a ghost town. I would love to run dungeons with other people who are new to running them; but I haven't had much luck connecting with anyone. Is anyone on in the evenings EST?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    That's a common problem with new channels: There are no one there. But if we quit because of it, the channels won't grow big. The best thing to do is simply join it and have it in a different color than the rest. That way it's easy to ignore it, yet remember it when someone actually post something there. With time, it can hopefully be useful. :)
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for this information.

I play my TR level 60 toon almost every evening and mostly stay in the new zone doing those dailies. I have not completed about3 dungeons form the original areas mostly because the last thing I want is to play with a group that will speed run the dungeon and criticize every move myself or another player will do. I play the game for fun as well as an escape for the days workload at the office. I am a 50 year old Grandad, so fun is what I am looking for..........not "your an idiot because you play your TR wrong" etc....This finally gives me hope that I can share my "newbness" of certain dungeons with other players that are either new to this dungeon like me or simply want to share their experience and expertise and pass that information on.

Thanks for posting this information.
  • nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm glad I found this post,(yes I'm a grandpa,wont give my age,:) ) I have 3 level 60's,and a couple of very low levels,I haven't learned how to run dungeons or work with a group because the few times I tried resulted in bad experience's and no fun,I like to explore things and I don't quit,if I have to do it over and over I will keep at it,this now gives me hope to be able to learn and have fun,and once I do learn I will be sure to spend time to help others learn.
  • phoenixegg8phoenixegg8 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Im young but your group intruiges me as im new here and would rather not get yelled at for not standing in the right spot to exploit something or what not. Any low levels in there who can get through while giving a walk through?
  • cdatski321cdatski321 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My 1st post. I'm glad I found a thread on something for my level. Joined the game because my son (13 going on 18) wants to play (or has been playing and not told me) and I thought I'd check it out. This idea of a channel for us old folks is a great idea. The other major online game I play had people from different countries but most are under 30 and lack the skills needed to work with people not at the same learning level as them. This is more my cup of tea. I'll be surfing the forums before adventuring too much in the game but if anyone has a link or 3 to point me in the right direction, it'd be a great help. Some of us old farts need time to absorb the info before diving into an unknown situation. I guess that is why we are older. We've learned.
  • cdatski321cdatski321 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can't talk for everyone but a younger person joining to learn with the older folks shows uncommon good sense. 1st thing I always do when starting a work project or anything in life, that I do not fully understand, is find the most senior knowledgeable person and learn with them. Parents and grandparents do not yell as much because we've had to raise the kids and learn to cope with impulsive behaviors. Better to show and explain then to yell. When you yell, younger folk have a tendency to stop listening (not that my frustration dosen't sometimes get the best of me and I do yell to my daughter (11 going on 25).
  • pakarletupanpakarletupan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    just had my first 5 levels and so far loving it as elf ranger. too bad I could only afford 1mb/s internet connection here. lagging most of times.