test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disable enchantment visuals

Comments

• llantissllantiss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pandora box to armor & weapon swappers across the globe, unite!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    from an MMO perspective, having the ability to hide enchantment effects is just as easy as adding the code. from a d&d lore perspective, hiding enchantment effects are not as simple. from a pvp perspective, if the matchmaker system was better, it probably wouldn't be a big deal... but i can already tell when i'm up against a pre-made and which great weapons fighter has the shiniest blade... when soulforged triggers, we're going to be able to tell that you're using soulforged. it would not be fair at all to hide these effects. not to mention, anyone can look you up on the gateway and see your gear, your rank 8 darks, your perfect soulforged and your greater vorpal anyway. while some may not like the enchantment effects as stated by the OP about how it changes dye selection, etc... it would seem that others would try to use this as an unfair advantage in-game.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    from an MMO perspective, having the ability to hide enchantment effects is just as easy as adding the code. from a d&d lore perspective, hiding enchantment effects are not as simple. from a pvp perspective, if the matchmaker system was better, it probably wouldn't be a big deal... but i can already tell when i'm up against a pre-made and which great weapons fighter has the shiniest blade... when soulforged triggers, we're going to be able to tell that you're using soulforged. it would not be fair at all to hide these effects. not to mention, anyone can look you up on the gateway and see your gear, your rank 8 darks, your perfect soulforged and your greater vorpal anyway. while some may not like the enchantment effects as stated by the OP about how it changes dye selection, etc... it would seem that others would try to use this as an unfair advantage in-game.
    There was a suggestion to make all enchantments force-enabled during PVP. It is fair and i support this.
    BUT
    PVE is also an important aspect of the game :) For me - it is more important than PVP, and, being a girl, i do love all that fashion stuff :rolleyes: So would be nice if we could disable enchant visuals in PVE only.
  • rapssodyarapssodya Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    A disable option when out of PvP. Boom. End of story.

No need for intellectual flexing here XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Krass Mustang - GF
    Diamond Krass Mustang - GWF
    Shadow Krass Mustang - TR
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    well to all those seeing problems in pvp: disabling visuals would not necessarily mean that you disable the proc visuals. when the effect of the enchantment triggers i would not have a problem displaying this (this is like the visuals from abilities - you don't see the hand of my dc glow all the time, but you see the visual effect when i cast an abilitiy). the major problem ist the constant visual that ruins your complete look.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    well to all those seeing problems in pvp: disabling visuals would not necessarily mean that you disable the proc visuals. when the effect of the enchantment triggers i would not have a problem displaying this (this is like the visuals from abilities - you don't see the hand of my dc glow all the time, but you see the visual effect when i cast an abilitiy). the major problem ist the constant visual that ruins your complete look.

This. Seeing how people with some entchantments look like, I am seriously considering leaving my empty slots empty.
    Besides, if everyone can hide visuals, it is fair, right?
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This would be a great option. I purposely haven't used Negation or Barkwood because I don't want my dwarf with those animations. It's my character and I have a certain look I want to go for. Being a walking disco ball isn't one of them.
    I would think people would want to have the option to not show soulforged because when a TR has dyed black armor/shirt it makes it look like he has perma ITC. Some complain that it's difficult to determine when it's on/off.
    It's more of a cosmetic thing for most people.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeap I vote for this one!
    I like my Bronzewood stuff on the wep. but don't like the looks of all those butterflies all over me :p
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I did think about armor swapping, as well. But right now it's not considered exploiting. It's just a really cheap move in PVP. People do it anyway and don't think twice about it with the visual. I'm not sure it's going to change much if you disable the visuals.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »

ok so if you can see proc visuals then why disable them at all in pvp? with all weapons enchants, they all proc on hits, correct? so they'd be... flashing on contact? sounds like unnecessarily overloading client/server communication with those changes.
    edited October 2013
    I did think about armor swapping, as well. But right now it's not considered exploiting. It's just a really cheap move in PVP. People do it anyway and don't think twice about it with the visual. I'm not sure it's going to change much if you disable the visuals.

i wasn't aware that people do that in pvp. it would probably be a somewhat simple fix to make gear changes impossible if you're in battle. swap gear all you want in the spawn area... but once you're in the middle of it...
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    ok so if you can see proc visuals then why disable them at all in pvp? with all weapons enchants, they all proc on hits, correct? so they'd be... flashing on contact? sounds like unnecessarily overloading client/server communication with those changes.
    Who's talking about PVP? Ppl want their PVE looks to be cool :)
  • faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    There is no reason the enchants have to show. It should be a matter of personal choice. Consider the fact a thief in lore may dress up as someone else to mislead people, a prince might want to be a pauper and vica versa. No reason for anyone to know what anyone else has.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Indeed! I didn't transmute and dye my gear to look horrible anyway because of entchantments!

Some people even used real money to but fashion items that are ruined now.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sadly, this is only one area where Cryptic needs to improve appearance. Champions Online lets you look like whatever you want! It's insane the amount of diversity. Here, we have to pay AD to transmute items that generally look the same as other items. It's very poorly limited.

Enchants are just the beginning. Give us more diversity in appearance!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to agree with OP. Cause it's something that has a big impact on PvP gameplay. So it should be possible to turn it off.

I say impact on gameplay for a simple reason. Talk about barkshield. It can be spotted from miles away. You have big shields of wood floating around you, even with a lesser one. A CW or a TR can easily spot it and nullify it by hitting you with 3 fast at-wills from a distance. On the other side, a stealthed TR can hide it. Other enchants, such as SF or negation, can be spotted at higher ranks, but it's not like you can do something about them. You have to deal with SF immunity at some point.
    Disabling at least the visual part could be useful. Also, the icon near the health bar. I don't see why it should be possible to check enemy gear. you have to learn or guess what your enemy could be using during combat, not by some cheap way like a huge visual appearence or simply clicking on a name and looking into the character gear.

I say, people have to build strategies during fights using their knowledge. Not by clicking and reading all they need to know about the enemy beforehand. Also, as said, the barkshield enchant is disadvantaged by this, cause it can be nullified easily.
  • astariadodfastariadodf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok its is time to say this:

Cryptic - Weapon Enchants are but <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ugly.

I am fairly peeved that my nicely crafted Formorian great sword is going to look like a piece of trash when I put an enchant on it.

Get with it, you say this game is supposed to be about character customization? Then why the xxxx did you take out dying of weapons that worked fine in beta before enchant graphics? Furthermore, I dont recall any issue for the small time frame that you could enchant over dyed weapons.

1. Allow us to turn off display of enchant - say you want a clue in PvP of what enchant - so what, its off the white damage so is such a small amount of difference its irrelevant in terms of strategy. Hell, I think its more important to not see nekkid chuckleheads running around.

2. Cant turn off enchant? - then make them a TRUE graphic function, not something that hides the gear. Fire from the edges, dull the color of a terror - with ectoplasm wisps, etc.

3. And again, why not allow dying?

Needless to say Armor looks poor too in a lot of cases.
    edited October 2013
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To sweeten the pill for Cryptic, how about this: a small AD sink, you have scrolls that can "con" enemies in PvP, i.e. you know what enchantments ppl have. You could even tie it to a tradeskill or something.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is an interesting callout. We'll look into it!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Thank you Sominator always nice to hear when the players are being heard :)
    edited October 2013
    ya saw that now when scanning. but my main point is we should be able to customize more. Trust me, there was a time you COULD dye weapons.

That post is more about hiding the fact they have a Perfect enchant - same mentality as nekkid people in pvp.

I will be more clear, I want BETTER enchant effects, and if that cant be had, allow us to shut them off.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ya saw that now when scanning. but my main point is we should be able to customize more. Trust me, there was a time you COULD dye weapons.

That post is more about hiding the fact they have a Perfect enchant - same mentality as nekkid people in pvp.

I will be more clear, I want BETTER enchant effects, and if that cant be had, allow us to shut them off.

Still can dye weapons. Just awkward.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited October 2013
    honestly, i don't think there's anything wrong with the current effects. they kind of speak for themselves in my opinion. i think my favorite is plague fire as a weapons enchantment. of course, the lesser the enchant, the more subtle it is... so perhaps having the ability to scale back the normal/greater/perfect effect the same way we have the ability to change the skins on leveled companions would be a better solution.
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Still can dye weapons. Just awkward.

Really? I have tried a dozen times, different toons different weapons. Always get a system error message. Care to share?

Melody, you havn't noticed how most make the weapon a flat dull bright or dark piece of color? The one enchant out there that is somewhat ok is the Perfect Feywild box drop (forget name i dont open boxes) It actually has an animation of dropping leaves on the swing, and its glow is not nearly as heavy, but could be improved too.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really? I have tried a dozen times, different toons different weapons. Always get a system error message. Care to share?

Melody, you haven't noticed how most make the weapon a flat dull bright or dark piece of color? The one enchant out there that is somewhat ok is the Perfect Feywild box drop (forget name i don't open boxes) It actually has an animation of dropping leaves on the swing, and its glow is not nearly as heavy, but could be improved too.

You can right click use dye, then manually drag a weapon into the slot. Some weapons work perfectly, some only work via this method, some only work via this method and only with dye bottles(the Formarian weapons are picky like this).
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    You can right click use dye, then manually drag a weapon into the slot. Some weapons work perfectly, some only work via this method, some only work via this method and only with dye bottles(the Formarian weapons are picky like this).

Thanks for the reply. Didnt work for me, always got the error cannot dye weapons. Of course, it was a Fomorian great, but tried all kind of patterns of use/manual/swap the spot in bag (old bug) and always the error showed.

My armor is solar armor, so it is black green copper and gold - the Sword is really great black gold, so I would like some green accent. Think we are back to asking the devs - why was dying removed?
  • swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The trick is to start with a single colour dye. Not a dye pack. Then just before you confirm, swap in the dye pack of choice.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I have a huge problem with them... Everytime i look at my perfect vorpal i am afraid to not suffer an epilepsy stroke, had to change the quality to medium then the perfect soul makes me all black and i cant see anything of my nice armor set that was transmuted and dye, same goes for almost all the perfect enchants with minor exception. Can u please add a feature on armor piece/weapon to hide the enchant effect or maybe an option that affects only that enchant and leave the rest of the effects on full?
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A lot of people have a problem with people hiding their enchants because of PvP. I personally don't care even though all I do is PvP, but can see the point. Maybe if you had the option to change it to an outline so you could still see your weapon/armor, but the type of enchant would still be determinable.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired