test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disable enchantment visuals

morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
@Cryptic developers:

Please please please for the love of God, consider letting us disable the visual enchantment effect on our armor and weapons (yes I'm talking about the enchants you get from shards).

I'm wearing the Courtesan's Wear fashion set, and I have a Soulforged enchantment on my armor. Now, I dont know if this is intended or not, but for some reason the armor enchantment's visual effect goes through my fashion item. Its like I enchanted my fashion set, which I DIDNT, and is not even possible.

So please, either remove those visual effects from fashion items, or AT LEAST add an option to disable them if we want. Like "Disable Effects" or something, that would keep the armor on, but disable the enchantment effect.
Post edited by morpheas768 on

Comments

• byzantionbyzantion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I support this thread. Some of the particle effects are just a bit much, and I personally prefer a bit more simplicity. I'm sure that people will say there are better things dev resources could be spent on, and many other things along those lines, but this is a pretty simple option that could make some people happy, won't really affect any one else's gaming experience in a negative way and seems pretty easy to implement.
  • lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    I understand why it's done though.. If i play PvP i can see what type of enchant my opponent is using, and react accordingly. If you were to disable the soulforged effect i could not. I agree that it's annoying and partly ugly but i understand the reasoning and think it's a good thing eventually as it gives information on your groupmates/opponents
  • morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lejdg wrote: »
    I understand why it's done though.. If i play PvP i can see what type of enchant my opponent is using, and react accordingly. If you were to disable the soulforged effect i could not. I agree that it's annoying and partly ugly but i understand the reasoning and think it's a good thing eventually as it gives information on your groupmates/opponents

I disagree.

Partly because this isnt a PvP only game, its an MMO with a main focus on PvE, but features PvP on the side. Thus it isnt nowhere near as competitive as other games (say, Dota, LoL, Starcraft 2, etc), and most matches are unbalanced due to a free for all system. If there are 2 people with 5-6k GS in your team, its gg, you cant win. I've played a lot of games like these.
    So, not being able to see the enchantment effect isnt that important imo. After all, you cant see the enemies' gear anyway, since you cant inspect them, so WHY should you be able to see the enchantment effects?

Also because,
    1. its kinda hard to spot the enchantment effect in battle sometimes, for example, I am TR so I will use stealth, and I wear the Courtesan's fashion set, which means there isnt much area of the body covered in that effect (plus its a Lesser soulforged).

2. Even if you spot the effect, what good will that do to you? Soulforged enchantment is the #1 armor enchant in PvP. You can expect that enchant 90% of the time, even on DC and CW. And so what if you are surprised by it? Its not game changing. Next time you see the same enemy in battle you know what enchant they've got.

In any case, I didnt spend 1500 zen to buy a fashion set, + another 300 to dye it, only to have it ruined by a ridiculously ugly enchantment effect, which I kinda need in PvP, and even in PvE sometimes.
    And btw, about the PvP thing, they can make the effect visible only in PvP, if thats so important. I wouldnt mind that at all.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lol pvp naked imo
  • morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    lol pvp naked imo
    My problem isnt PvP, I wouldnt even mind if enemies could inspect me.

My problem is the fact that my appearance is ruined by this effect.
  • fefeenahfefeenah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I also support this thread. The enchants might look cool on melee classes but it's really, really, really out of place and HIDEOUS on my cleric. Purple smoke over a white, blue and gold armor piece??
  • zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Please take the laser beam/flame out of the game! It makes everything look like toys. I don't play other games because I don't want to wear plastic toy armors. Military armors please. Look at Total War, World of Tank and Company of Heroes.

121592864_7e8358f60c.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    @Cryptic developers:

Please please please for the love of God, consider letting us disable the visual enchantment effect on our armor and weapons (yes I'm talking about the enchants you get from shards).

I'm wearing the Courtesan's Wear fashion set, and I have a Soulforged enchantment on my armor. Now, I dont know if this is intended or not, but for some reason the armor enchantment's visual effect goes through my fashion item. Its like I enchanted my fashion set, which I DIDNT, and is not even possible.

So please, either remove those visual effects from fashion items, or AT LEAST add an option to disable them if we want. Like "Disable Effects" or something, that would keep the armor on, but disable the enchantment effect.

At first I was like who cares but you make a solid point. This and many other things should be addressed before any new content or classes.
  • renace13renace13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    New content and classes are, and should be, an ongoing must. However, development of these things should NOT preclude the correction of issues that are clearly not intended: i.e. dwarf noses that poke through the front of helmets, visual effects on weapons that create ridiculously huge glowing auras that do not even match the weapon dimensions, or auras on armor that turn carefully selected and dyed outfits into a greasy looking mess. It is true that these things are cosmetic, but for a certain portion of the player base, they matter. If they didn't, the devs could save a lot of time, energy and money by releasing Neverwinter with graphics on par with Donkey Kong.

The Neverwinter team has done a great job getting the game on its feet, but there are clearly areas that still need attention. This is one of them, and the OP's suggestion would help with some of it at least (although I suspect it might not be as simple to implement as we think). Fixing these things may not be a top priority, but I certainly hope someone manages to find the time to address the issue relatively soon.
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    renace13 wrote: »
    New content and classes are, and should be, an ongoing must. However, development of these things should NOT preclude the correction of issues that are clearly not intended: i.e. dwarf noses that poke through the front of helmets, visual effects on weapons that create ridiculously huge glowing auras that do not even match the weapon dimensions, or auras on armor that turn carefully selected and dyed outfits into a greasy looking mess. It is true that these things are cosmetic, but for a certain portion of the player base, they matter. If they didn't, the devs could save a lot of time, energy and money by releasing Neverwinter with graphics on par with Donkey Kong.

The Neverwinter team has done a great job getting the game on its feet, but there are clearly areas that still need attention. This is one of them, and the OP's suggestion would help with some of it at least (although I suspect it might not be as simple to implement as we think). Fixing these things may not be a top priority, but I certainly hope someone manages to find the time to address the issue relatively soon.

I agree whole-heartedly. This would enhance my game playing experience greatly. Please consider this request in your next review cycle.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Can we please have a disable visuals option for armor and weapon enchantments? Similar to the normal disable visuals option at each slotted item. If you want to disable only the visuals for armor enchantments, this should be possible, same with weapon or disabling both.

1. It ruins your armor appearance and the dyes you have put one (I have put the negation thing on and now I have this white rune pattern flowing over my armor constantly and my golden shiny armor looks most of the time whitish now, or take Barkshield where some barks are growing somewhere in the air near your arms which doesn't look cool at all).

2. No one needs to see right away what you have slotted (in PVP). You don't see either if someone has slotted Silvery, Azure or Dark enchantments.

3. When you switch visuals from normal outfit to fashion outfit the visuals currently stay. So I end up having this white rune flowing over my Sunite fashion item, too.

Just implement such an option please. Thanks.
  • rapssodyarapssodya Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Just yes ... YES!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Krass Mustang - GF
    Diamond Krass Mustang - GWF
    Shadow Krass Mustang - TR
  • baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Yes, totally silly that you can't.

I purchased dyes for armor, only to find when using soulforge it ruins it.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Soulforge has terrible visuals imho...Vorpal also looks ugly for me.
    I'm all for disabling visuals for special enchantments!

If it also could be possible to make some enchants transmute into your weapon, so you don't get its effects - but visuals only...that's be fantastic :rolleyes:
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    2. No one needs to see right away what you have slotted (in PVP). You don't see either if someone has slotted Silvery, Azure or Dark enchantments.

I totally disagree. I and many others play (sometimes very) differently depending on the enhancements of whom I am up against or even fighting with. I am not even a demon PvP player - though that is the only activity I do these days - yet even I can tell this feature and impact on gameplay far outweighs your ability to "look cool".

So, they only way I would back this idea is if Disable Visuals on Enhancements did not apply to PvP combat zones.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    I totally disagree. I and many others play (sometimes very) differently depending on the enhancements of whom I am up against or even fighting with. I am not even a demon PvP player - though that is the only activity I do these days - yet even I can tell this feature and impact on gameplay far outweighs your ability to "look cool".

So, they only way I would back this idea is if Disable Visuals on Enhancements did not apply to PvP combat zones.

Lol this is exactly why this should happen in PvP. So that if the player doesn't want his opponents to instantly know what he has, he can disable that.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Lol this is exactly why this should happen in PvP. So that if the player doesn't want his opponents to instantly know what he has, he can disable that.

Well, that's a whole different question... Nothing to do with appearance for appearances sake. That's a gameplay change.

Also, they get to see my enhancements too. We all have our hands on the table.

In addition, just making it an option alone introduces complications. At the moment, there is no choice. Everyone sees everything. If you make it an option, some will remove visuals, others will not and may end up getting focussed in a fight or otherwise affecting the gameplay of that fight or even disadvantaging your own team since it may make it obvious you are the only geared player (with balls) on your team.

So, then the question arises whether enhancement visuals should be auto-disabled when entering a PvP combat zone.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Well, that's a whole different question... Nothing to do with appearance for appearances sake. That's a gameplay change.

Also, they get to see my enhancements too. We all have our hands on the table.

yeah true, and most weapon enchants you can only tell with greater or perfect anyway.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Would love this and it's such an easy fix.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I totally disagree. I and many others play (sometimes very) differently depending on the enhancements of whom I am up against or even fighting with.

And that's why they should not be seen if anyone wants to hide what he has. If you see a GWF standing around you don't know what he has slotted as abilities or which feats he has picked. And you don't know what gear he has (because his original gear might be transmuted). So everything is unknown. Why should you then know if someone has a negation or a soulforge enchantment?
  • kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just wait for everyone crying for TR stealth nerfs......wait they already are crying for stealth to be nerfed. The visuals show through stealth. Disabling them will improve stealth.......the devs should do it to make the tears flow! mwhahaha
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kingculex wrote: »
    Just wait for everyone crying for TR stealth nerfs......wait they already are crying for stealth to be nerfed. The visuals show through stealth. Disabling them will improve stealth.......the devs should do it to make the tears flow! mwhahaha

LOL, you know they fixed this forever ago. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »

Shhhh, let them think otherwise :)
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What do these enchantments look like?
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is a good idea IMO,

Greater and perfects have way TOO much visual, lesser and normal look pretty good.

Id love to disable visuals on enchants!
  • misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    This sounds like a nice idea, but, force-enable them in PvP is better imo, lore-wise, a CW would have no problems pinpointing your TR by his vorpal, stealth or not. Now, allowing them to do this in PvP would be OP as hell, bye bye stealth, bye bye not having the other teams CW's being able to tell your teams exact positions every single moment. But, please, keep the lore element of strongly enchanted weapons having an aura.
    Wizard.jpg
  • mikezorrmikezorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is a good idea was thinking exact same thing +1 support this.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This sounds like a nice idea, but, force-enable them in PvP is better imo, lore-wise, a CW would have no problems pinpointing your TR by his vorpal, stealth or not. Now, allowing them to do this in PvP would be OP as hell, bye bye stealth, bye bye not having the other teams CW's being able to tell your teams exact positions every single moment. But, please, keep the lore element of strongly enchanted weapons having an aura.

Eh, easily dealt with by keeping the weapon covered until you strike. Wrapping a dagger in dark cloth won't impede it's ability to stab someone but will muffle the sound if it knocks against a buckle. Lore-friendly and everyone is happy. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »

I havent played it lately, waiting for more content. Now the visuals do not show through stealth? good.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd be down for this for sure. :cool:
    va8Ru.gif