test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP Ranking Tournament

cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hello Everyone.

I have been trying to set up matches with other big name guilds recently but it is always hard to put something together because everyone has conflicting schedules. Tension has been high on the forums recently and much argument has been made over who is stronger than who and why, so I think it's about time we had a ranking system.

Your guild can either wait the months (or longer) for Neverwinter to introduce a ranking and ladder system or you can join us this Saturday, October 26th to see exactly where you, and everyone else, ranks in the PvP community!

DETAILS:

I would like to make this a recurring event as A teams change, new people get geared, and guilds have different schedules and can't always make it.

There will not be an exact set time for this. Schedules are different and games can run throughout the day. The only thing I need is a confirmation that your guild is available and wants to participate, then we can work out the details of who plays who and when. Once we are finished there will be a defined ranking system of guilds who participated. Expect to play at least 4-5 great games, depending on the number of guilds that dare to show up, to get an accurate ranking.

There will be no AD requirement to join as I want to afford every guild that wants to participate the ability to do so. This also means that there will be no monetary reward except for bragging rights and of course a defined ranking system that so many are calling for on these forums.

RULES:

Rules are simple and are the same for most tournaments.

1. No external buffs - Potions/Elixers/Feasts etc.
2. No armor swapping - Multiple people will be recording anyway so this will be easily enforced
3. No excessive trash talking - "/zone Ooh I got you 1v1!" : that's fine
- "/zone wow you are total garbage n.o.o.b." : No

RANKING:

Once I have a list of all teams that will participate and what their schedule will be I can set up some brackets. This is not single or double elimination, even if you lose you will continue playing other guilds so we can get an accurate ranking hierarchy. I will post all results to all matches including the ranking system and how I derived the rankings, and any video's that have been made can also be posted in that thread. Any unknown factors after games played, such as 2 guilds both equally deserving of rank 3 or something, we can set up a special match on a given day to decide that.

If your guild does not participate then they will be unranked and have no basis to claim their superiority as they had the opportunity to prove themselves and did not take it. That being said, this will be a recurring tournament and you will have the opportunity to participate again either the next weekend or 2 weeks from this Saturday. Other dates can be chosen as well, as Saturday may be bad for a certain guild.

TEAMS:

Team comp will be anything you want so long as there are no more than two of a single class. I don't need to know any details about your team or the members participating, that is a big part of your strategy IMO. The only information I need is your Guild name, your probable schedule for Saturday (when you'll all be on), and the @handle of someone I can contact in game. If you want to switch up your team comp after a game, fine. If you want to change the players on your team, fine. So long as everyone on your team is in your guild it's fine, this is again part of your strategy.

CLOSING COMMENTS:

I really hope to see a large turnout. A very large number of players were looking for a ranking system for the game, and that is exactly what we are going to derive through this. This will be a great source of tracking how well your guild is doing, working to increase in rank, can certainly be used as a recruiting tool, and obviously bragging rights (at least for 1-2 weeks until you get get beaten by a new team comp =P)

This should be lots of fun for everyone as well, I know I'm tired of pug matches that end in the first 30 seconds, and I'm sure a lot of you are as well.

Please reply with your guild name, the times you will probably be available saturday, and the @handle of someone I can contact. You can also sent me an in game mail with that info. Please send mail instead of a tell, much easier to see. After I get your mail I will add your team here on the forums.

We will see you all on the battlefield, we'll be the Enemy Team.
Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
Post edited by cribstaxxx on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Reserved just in case.
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Like the preview tournament I like the idea although I'm not into PVP at all. Said it there, say it again: Really feels like Cryptic should be doing some sort of Ladder/Tournament system in the near future.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Allow me to start =)

Guild: Enemy Team

Available most of the day Saturday

@cribstaxxx
  • Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I don't know how well this is going to go since most of the top PvP guilds know the truth.
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited October 2013
    Is this going to be on the test realm so that everyone can have equal gear and enchants? If not, it's not going to be an accurate assessment.
  • Options
    gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    i think it would be better go to the test realm, so everyone can go well geared and it is going to be a 100% teamwork-skill gameplay.
    my schedulle is not very fix, some weeks i have almost no work and a lot time in home, some weeks i work too long and even weekends too much to do. depends a lot to say.
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • Options
    someguy313someguy313 Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2013
    So just 1 team per guild then?
    PWN (GWF) - <Lemonade Stand> Live Streaming PvP on Twitch
  • Options
    srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    someguy313 wrote: »
    So just 1 team per guild then?

I would hope not seeing how this is ranking guilds overall....How would scoring be done ?

Each player participates in 10 premade matches and their kill / death / point total goes into a pool credited to their guild.

Teams should be able to consist of members from other guilds registered in the tournament...as point totals / kill / death is attributed to guilds...

So therefore a Pugstomp hurts rankings more than helps... this would give creedence to having premades and forcing the players of the best guilds to play against each other...

I like this... would love to see how a scoring system could be implemented.

-Svet

(Edit: Rainbow rule should be in effect )
  • Options
    alt2jalt2j Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2013
    that makes no sense

you want to see top guild, its all about team synergy, not about who can kill steal best and run away

plus no one would run a dc
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    alt2j wrote: »
    that makes no sense

you want to see top guild, its all about team synergy, not about who can kill steal best and run away

plus no one would run a dc

Feel free to add any ideas you may have instead of being critical without adding anything to the conversation.

Teams are not guilds.... Having 1 Team represent a guild is not a judgement on the entire guild...

this is a Guild ranking is it not ?

Not a team ranking.
  • Options
    lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    srdjana2 wrote: »
    Feel free to add any ideas you may have instead of being critical without adding anything to the conversation.

Teams are not guilds.... Having 1 Team represent a guild is not a judgement on the entire guild...

this is a Guild ranking is it not ?

Not a team ranking.
    How about if two teams per guild (if they have enough members) and the win/loss ratio of these teams will be averaged to form one guild win/loss ratio.
    If a guild can only enter one team, then that will be there one win/loss ratio.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I would hope not seeing how this is ranking guilds overall....How would scoring be done ?

Each player participates in 10 premade matches and their kill / death / point total goes into a pool credited to their guild.

Teams should be able to consist of members from other guilds registered in the tournament...as point totals / kill / death is attributed to guilds...

So therefore a Pugstomp hurts rankings more than helps... this would give creedence to having premades and forcing the players of the best guilds to play against each other...

I like this... would love to see how a scoring system could be implemented.

-Svet

There isn't going to be peronal player rankings (it would just take too much time). Ranking is going to be based on wins and who you beat. I will make a full bracket showing where everyone ranked, why they ranked there, and how I went about calculating it, and at that point if there is any discrepency we can always do "make up" matches perhaps between 2 guilds that didn't meet each other that day.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    Is this going to be on the test realm so that everyone can have equal gear and enchants? If not, it's not going to be an accurate assessment.

The test realm idea is a thought, but this is an in game ranking system. We want guilds to be able to gear up, get better, and increase their rank the following weeks by doing so. The other problem with the test realm is that matches generally take 15+ minutes for the Q to pop, not to mention the preview server goes down from time to time.

We would be more than happy to do matches on preview any time, however I think if we are going to derive a ranking system out of this that updates weekly/bi-weekly then it should be live server so that people actually have something to work for.

Very few extremely skilled PvP'ers are running around in R5's and lessers anyway, I can tell you that the results wouldn't change much by going to the preview.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lazuree wrote: »
    How about if two teams per guild (if they have enough members) and the win/loss ratio of these teams will be averaged to form one guild win/loss ratio.
    If a guild can only enter one team, then that will be there one win/loss ratio.

Multiple teams can come from the same guild, just put guild name then (team name)

so it would look like Guild: Lemonade Stand (Sugar Cubes)

if sugar cubes was your team name lol. That can also help if you have a large guild and a disputed A team, you can see how each of your teams matches up against other guilds.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I thought about this, but I think there is a lot of strategy in team comp as well. Also by being able to switch up your team comp it allows guilds with multiple good players showcase all of their talent =)

Also I think we will see a lot of one team switching up their team comp to beat another and then come to find out that other team switched theirs around and has the advantage, will make for some interesting video's to hear people's commentary lol.

And again this is another part of the strategy that can lead your guild to victory, so if you end up getting matched against a team that just has a huge team comp advantage over you, you can learn from that for the next tourney and easily increase your rank with better team comp strategy. This will encourage guilds to broaden their playerbase and gear new characters, which in turn will keep the game running strong so that we can keep doing this =)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    NW is not going to implement ranking and ladders until at least module 3, that is when they said they would look at PvP. If as many people as post about it actually wanted it that bad, I would think 5-10 guilds would have already signed up.

Do people honestly want a ranking system or do they just want to complain about PvP?

As I said all the rankings will be posted including my methods on how they were ranked, and all of that will be available for discussion. If anyone is afraid their guild won't get a fair shake, you don't need to be, ranking is going to be completely transparent. And if there is valid reasoning it will be up for debate or new matches will be scheduled.
  • Options
    gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    i think rainbow compo necessity is something people should start to rethink about...
    playing at your will is more fun i think, so each team really can play with what they have best.
    it will become very messed up when they release ranger and warlock in the game. because both class will probably have a dps aspect, a debuff, or maybe "tank".
    so even if you switch for example a ranger for a cleric, or a warlock. in the end you will be playing with more dps focused classes instead the so "rainbow" setup.
    think about that guys.

but any rule, i am down to play. my guild really has a lot to improve on Rainbow team, so itshould bef un.
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • Options
    marobi1marobi1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Overall Points Spread difference OR win loss ratio wins. Kills dont win matches now so why change the existing rules. Just my 2 cp..
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i think rainbow compo necessity is something people should start to rethink about...
    playing at your will is more fun i think, so each team really can play with what they have best.
    it will become very messed up when they release ranger and warlock in the game. because both class will probably have a dps aspect, a debuff, or maybe "tank".
    so even if you switch for example a ranger for a cleric, or a warlock. in the end you will be playing with more dps focused classes instead the so "rainbow" setup.
    think about that guys.

but any rule, i am down to play. my guild really has a lot to improve on Rainbow team, so itshould bef un.

IMHO it should always be some kind of rainbow setup, even when new classes are introduced. This shows skill across a broader spectrum than stacking certain classes. If you can have two of a certain class, why not three? or have the whole team be one class? It might be interesting to see or test out, but having a maximum of 1 of any class better displays skill. Because it leaves the responsibility of performing on that class to a single person, rather than multiple people. Think about having 2 CW's at mid, if both are focusing one target and one of them makes a mistake, the other one is there to make up for it.

Its also harder because you cant have multiples of the same class running different specs, ie. having 1 GF be very tanky and 1 GF be very glass cannon. You have to be more particular about your build and make it have some flexibility.

Not to mention you could get team setups that would be totally out of hand, like 5 TRs or 5 GFs, it narrows the game dynamics and lowers the skill requirement.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    IMHO it should always be some kind of rainbow setup, even when new classes are introduced. This shows skill across a broader spectrum than stacking certain classes. If you can have two of a certain class, why not three? or have the whole team be one class? It might be interesting to see or test out, but having a maximum of 1 of any class better displays skill. Because it leaves the responsibility of performing on that class to a single person, rather than multiple people. Think about having 2 CW's at mid, if both are focusing one target and one of them makes a mistake, the other one is there to make up for it.

Its also harder because you cant have multiples of the same class running different specs, ie. having 1 GF be very tanky and 1 GF be very glass cannon. You have to be more particular about your build and make it have some flexibility.

Not to mention you could get team setups that would be totally out of hand, like 5 TRs or 5 GFs, it narrows the game dynamics and lowers the skill requirement.

5 of 1 class would be totally out of hand, I agree, that's why it's a max of 2 of a single class. Why take out one of the biggest forms of strategy to PvP? Team composition can be a huge boost or a big disadvantage depending on what the enemy team has. Knowing exactly what the enemy team is going to consist of every single match is boring and take half of the strategy and planning out of it.

IMO being able to win against any team comp is a much greater judge of skill than just playing rainbow every single game. Not to mention this makes it easier for smaller guilds with less diversity to field a team.

If team A has the best rainbow team in the game and can beat all other rainbow comps but loses Team B in every other type of comp. While team B loses in only rainbow but can beat any other variation of "max 2 of each class" then that shows more talent and ability to overcome whatever the enemy may bring, IMO of course. The Devs are certainly never going to implement that all premade's are rainbow so when they finally do come out with ladders it's going to be this way anyway.
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Not to mention this makes it easier for smaller guilds with less diversity to field a team.

Is it really that hard to field 1 of each class? lol
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . . .
    Guild Drama need not apply and is not allowed. Keep the fights in game and off the forums. This thread has been cleansed. Do not reply to this moderator notice, as that is not allowed either. Instead, PM us to discuss Moderation. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    Is it really that hard to field 1 of each class? lol

You never know, there could be a guild of friends that has only like 10 people but happen to be well geared and want to participate. This is open to everyone that wants to join.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thank you Old Wizard who I am definitely not responding to =P

Don't know why there would be drama in here, I'm trying to set all of this up because so many players have asked for this. This is not a tournament with a prize or to get a bunch of recognition because we think we're the best. I'm trying to give the server the ranking and ladder system that they've been asking for (though not as complex as when cryptic releases it)

If this is successful we could even branch out and pick out an MVP each week/bi-week that gets some sort of prize. There are all kinds of things we can do with this, but if no one signs up then we will continue to have no ladders/ranking until the devs decide to release them.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A few questions cribs:

- is this on the test shard? I just realized that if yes, I could actually spec&gear my CW properly for PvP :) If it's on the normal shard, oh well.
    - how many teams have signed yet?

If you intend to run it on the live shard, you might think about reconsidering, since because we lack dual spec this will severely limit the number of people wanting to participate (i.e. only PvP-only people will join, because they are the only ones that have built for that sole purpose). Running it on the test shard (if it ever comes to life...) will allow many others (such as me) to join and have fun, without affecting their chars on live.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    A few questions cribs:

- is this on the test shard? I just realized that if yes, I could actually spec&gear my CW properly for PvP :) If it's on the normal shard, oh well.
    - how many teams have signed yet?

If you intend to run it on the live shard, you might think about reconsidering, since because we lack dual spec this will severely limit the number of people wanting to participate (i.e. only PvP-only people will join, because they are the only ones that have built for that sole purpose). Running it on the test shard (if it ever comes to life...) will allow many others (such as me) to join and have fun, without affecting their chars on live.

I am trying to mimic what everyone is asking cryptic to implement. Cryptic is not going to put ladders on the preview server. I would think that PvP guilds are the ones that are going to be interested in a PvP tournament right? When a dual spec is added I will certainly take advantage of that, but as it stands you have to spec for PvP to do really well.

I have 7 60's now, 6 of them are PvP only, and my very 1st main CW is the only character I PvE on =)

Currently I am still waiting for teams to sign up, apparently there was a flame war which was cleansed while I was not on the forums lol.

So many people from so many guilds have asked for this so I really don't understand why people aren't signing up. Essence of Agression, Complaints Department, and Lemonade Stand were all talking about who played who when and what the outcome was which is what gave me the idea for a ranking tournament in the first place. I have also seen Mass Grave Aesthetics, The Silent Blade, and Authentic talking about PvP quite often and lots of players from all these guilds asking for ladders.

There is at least 7-8 "top" PvP guilds that I figured would join for sure, but I guess they all want to keep their perceived "top" positions without ever being tested on this =/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I thought teams signed up for this...*looks around*
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I thought teams signed up for this...*looks around*

Lol if they did it got cleansed apparently.

Currently we have:

Guild: Enemy Team - @cribstaxxx - Available most of the day Saturday

I guess others are scared =P (said in hopes of getting people to sign up to look not scared...)
  • Options
    baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    So many people from so many guilds have asked for this so I really don't understand why people aren't signing up.
    I think post #5 answers this question.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »
    I think post #5 answers this question.

Lol what is that even talking about?
This discussion has been closed.