Install Arc
Options

So you want my money cryptic? how about a subscription model

2»

Comments

• Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    maybe, depends. if it handles the bugs and exploits better then this over here, it could be nr 1 for a long time.
    because there will not be comparable f2p`s
    like this game, it could have brought an amount of money the owners only dream of, if it only handled the bugs, exploits, ping, dual spec etc. and would give us more fun.
    then it would realy have the millions of players, instead of the 100k it has now, or lower.
    sure they earn still loads with it, by making a prety game and their prety tempting lockbox drop if you re a new player and think you got something realy epic because it`s purple :D
    but too bad, the bug,exploit handling and systems devs prove it`s a moneygrab.

for example, how long is mc here ? with the jump thing.
    they can`t even come up with a overlapping wall to prevent it.
    all this time and they can`t come up with this T < try to jump that ;p

most mmo`s that start as sub and go f2p later is because they`re fail games.
    nothing more nothing less.
    i don`t know what wildstar is going to be.
    i don`t even am that excited about it, but it`s free and can spend some time in it :D
    at least i`m not going to make the same mistake again to pay in a f2p :D
    f2p means there`s something wrong with it.

and, even gw2 is kind of a fail. but ok didn`t see that coming, so many people paying and they let also exploits in it way longer then it should be. don`t know even if they fixed that jumping thing :)
    but anyway, sylvari still walks with a start walk of an angle of 90 degree knee bend which looks like s...
    but don`t regret buying it, it was fun and worth the money. leveling was nice.
    but ok, gw2 the end for me since a long time.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i think's they will get more money whit the f2p shop. if you notice, theere allways all the day Zen in the market, a lot of zen. Sometimes, free to play can give more money then a p2p. They start now to fix all the bug and when all the dungeon and skill bug there will be fixed, the old player will be back play. Just look at Aion in Europe, was p2p and whit the f2p model in 1 year they manage to get double of the income whit the p2p, same things for TERA in europe, a lot of people was angry when the game start to be F2p.
    F2p is the future of the online game
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    but as you can see it`s no good for the gamer who wants to play a game on a longer term.
    it`s grab as much money in short time as they can.
    there`s no care about their game or players.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tcarnce wrote: »
    but as you can see it`s no good for the gamer who wants to play a game on a longer term.
    it`s grab as much money in short time as they can.
    there`s no care about their game or players.

I'm not seeing that with STO, that game has been F2P for awhile and while we did have a content drought once the change over happened afterwards there was a ton of content and still is, this has brought a lot of people into the game and the future looks really bright and a big piece of that was that team listening to the players.....why should it be different for Neverwinter?

Getting maximum profit is all fine and good but if you talk to any of the devs like I did at Gen Con you can see that isn't their only motivator, they have a lot of plans for future content too, they just never are going to be able to crank it out fast enough for the content locust.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    you mean the concept about expansions bringing players ;p yes sure it does. for a limited time.
    (which means more moneygrab)
    it`s not happening on the beholder shard anyway, maybe the others, but what we see is a game on it`s way to the end.

as long as a game is underdeveloped it`s a moneygrab, simple as that.
    you want to give people hope everything will be ok ? go ahead.
    i`m not the one sticking my head in the sand and people spending money on garbage.

in neverwinter in the first place it`s not about content, but underskilled system designers.

pvp system for example is a joke :D
    how xp/glory rewards are calculated.
    not going to repeat what`s wrong with it.
    link lol

ps: i doubt the few "old" neverwinter players that possible return will ever spend a single penny on this.
    because they should know what this game is about at the moment :D

grab grab, game worth of title still being in beta

so the main grab will be from new players, that need to be warned about this very unfinnished product.
    wish i was wrong because i do like it. the graphics and stuf, nice voice acting.
    but unfortunately..
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    you mean the concept about expansions bringing players ;p yes sure it does. for a limited time.
    (which means more moneygrab)
    it`s not happening on the beholder shard anyway, maybe the others, but what we see is a game on it`s way to the end.

as long as a game is underdeveloped it`s a moneygrab, simple as that.
    you want to give people hope everything will be ok ? go ahead.
    i`m not the one sticking my head in the sand and people spending money on garbage.

in neverwinter in the first place it`s not about content, but underskilled system designers.

pvp system for example is a joke :D
    how rewards are calculated.
    not going to repeat what`s wrong with it.

Not really sticking my head anywhere dude, just understand how development usually goes, and yeah I would rather be positive than a Negative Nancy, but that's just me. What I can't figure is we get folks complaining about things being so bad yet they keep showing up...even though they swear that they are done.

Also just because you see something as garbage doesn't make it universally so..it's just garbage to you, and honestly I could give puck all about PVP I thought it was a mistake to implement it in the first place because unless it's perfect out of the gate it is a endless source of complaining. As far as under skilled developers go, you might want to actually try to do their job before you start calling them under skilled.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Also just because you see something as garbage doesn't make it universally so..it's just garbage to you, and honestly I could give puck all about PVP I thought it was a mistake to implement it in the first place...
    Agree on both counts. The reasons why someone doesn't like it can also vary, so what you want fixed may not satisfy me.

Whether it is F2P or P2P is sort of immaterial to me, what my greatest disappointment with it so far is the lack of D&D depth to this game. So far it has the veneer, but that area needs much more work. It is still a fun game so I keep playing and will wait to see how it develops. I take a long view of things, I don't need everything immediately. Development of anything, be it software or otherwise, always takes time.

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!
    Robert Burns 1785
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "yeah I would rather be positive than a Negative Nancy,"

haha, i prefer reality over stories, that`s all.

"What I can't figure is we get folks complaining about things being so bad yet they keep showing up.."

because i paid i still show up and the reasons i already told, graphics, voice acting.
    just filling my time here to go to the next game when it comes out.
    that`s also why they keep development so low, keep costs low, because people are going to move.
    developers don`t believe in stories also, they need to make the profit and keep it, instead of going out of business.
    i don`t mind, lucky they have players like you who are so positive about these games.

i quit replying on mindless stuf now.
    it`s not my job.

you think in pvp playing for you enemies points isn`t garbage ?
    you think all the exploits because of bad walling isn`t garbage ?
    i don`t mind, people will be sooner done with the game because of that, because if they can just jump on a wall and solo bosses and loot, there `s more simple exploits like that to solo bosses.
    you can call them as you want.
    go copycat and call them locusts ;p
    haha, but in reality it seems to be very hard to resist for a lot of players.
    so they`ll drop out sooner because the so called gear objective is completed in no time.
    you see that happen in more games.
    one wall that isn`t right and more then 75% of the players use it.
    actual number is way higher, but ok, otherwise i`m the "negative nancy" again in those heads :D

i don`t see how namecalling helps in such a case, and a simple wall does.

the fail to read and act on beta reported exploits proves only that this team which is handling that stuf is too small, or just incompetent.
    both rollbacks were beta reported issues.
    so have fun put your trust in fairy tales.

so there`s system designers that need to be educated, bug report need to be handled better.
    then the walling, which causes a huge source of exploit.
    can go on, but again, it `s not my job.
    and detailed isn`t allowed.

at the time it would come close to finnished, other games which are better would have gotten more attention.
    so less money.
    that`s why they brought out this beta game
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same complaints where made against CO. Its dead game, it would never last. Yet its still here. Granted, no where near its former glory, but its still here, still getting development..albeit slowly, and in no danger of closing.

The same complaints where made against STO. Its not Trek enough. Its a dead and dying game. It will never last. The next big game will kill it. Its still here, still growing. And doing better then ever.

The honest truth is, the doom criers are nearly always wrong. Its rare for a game to completely fail. Granted, most never reach epic heights, that seems nearly as rare. But few, actually fail. Most plug away, comfortably, keeping their own audience happy. And do so for years. Even those that eventually close, few are willing to call them failures. CoH closed, but to call it a failure on this forum and you'll end up with a fight on your hands. SWTOR was it a failure? Certainly not the huge WoW killer they wanted. But hardly a failure either. Its stable, making money, and looking to do just fine for the foreseeable future.

Of the hundreds of MMOs released over the decade, how many have truly failed? 10? maybe less? And yet, even in the face of this hard reality there is a line of waiting would be doom criers eager to be wrong, over and over again. Simply because the game isn't something you enjoy. Or you have issues with parts of its features, development, or pay model. Does not in any way make it a failure. No game will ever be everything to everyone. Its best to focus on the parts we enjoy and ignore or deal with the rest, rather then the other way around. Otherwise, no game, no matter how well done, will ever measure up. And the cycle will simply continue.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    another fairytale believer hehe :)

wall it up cryptic

and probably close topic, it`s going nowhere.

they don`t fail moneywise no, because their moneygrab based.
    guess it`s me, because all titles mentioned are all <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    you don`t agree ? then, do you play it frequently ?
    the simpleminded things.

now i`m realy done here.
    you have family working on those games or something ?
    or some emotional attachment :D

where you get these ideas that these games will still be there in the future ?
    because people play it after they give a bit content.
    even wow is dying with that thought.
    want numbers ?
    google it.
    reacting with: but they still have millions of players and you call it dying ?"
    will be another simpleminded reaction.
    huge downfall is proving it each 3 months. which is happening the last years.
    you think inferior games will last while the king is dying :D
    lol
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Allod Online is about the only f2p game that's doing an experiment with a p2p server. The new server started just a couple of days ago so you would expect millions of "p2p lover" crashing their login queue, right?

This is the actual status of the game described in their official gpotato game forum:

"The population. Oh my God, the population is disheartening. I have played Private Servers for games originating in Korea hosted in the U.S. that was played by more people than I've seen so far. I've literally made a tally of all playable characters that have roamed with me. I've come across 60 people, some more than once. I think I haven't seen more than maybe 40 players. This is the biggest issue. I can be very happy paying a set "subscription" price to stay away from the whole item shop hole I can easily fall down in, but I'm not going to be paying this kind of money to play a game with 20 people."

Need I say anything more about subscription based server?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    one more reply for fun, the posts are getting more informative now.
    :) haha
    *sarcastic*

but now the word private server is mentioned, played those too.
    same issues as neverwinter has :D questmarks hanging between the npc`s legs :D

now i`m realy out.
    such a time waste.

ps: i realy don`t see what quoting a random message from someone who played on a random private server has to do with f2p and p2p
    you mean what private server means right ?
    illegal copy. with more bugs then a normal human with a little money wishes for.

why would i expect those million of players ? why pay a game while it`s there for free.legal.
    i realy don`t care about cashshops, some do. but bringing 2 models on 2 seperate servers is weird.
    if they had a mind they implement it on one server.

silly posts.

-out
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    one more reply for fun, the posts are getting more informative now.
    :) haha
    *sarcastic*

but now the word private server is mentioned, played those too.
    same issues as neverwinter has :D questmarks hanging between the npc`s legs :D

now i`m realy out.
    such a time waste.

ps: i realy don`t see what quoting a random message from someone who played on a random private server has to do with f2p and p2p
    you mean what private server means right ?
    illegal copy.

I am not sure if your reply is to my post but since there doesn't seem to be another post that matched your post so I'll assume so...

Anyway, the status of the game was from the OFFICAL gpotato run Allods server, not from a private server. That player simply said the official Allods p2p server is a lot less populated than even a private server of any game he has played. I agreed with what he said as I found the same thing when I tried there.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    well thanks for mentioning the game, i`m going to try it out also sometime.
    don`t remember if i played it.
    just for fun ;p
    actualy am a bit done with neverwinter, only thing left is diamond farm for better runestones. which is a bit crazy. the millions ad, time spend on it vs such small reward.
    but ok, that`s cryptics plan to keep people playing.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    SWTOR was it a failure? Certainly not the huge WoW killer they wanted. But hardly a failure either. Its stable, making money, and looking to do just fine for the foreseeable future.

Heh, SWTOR not being a failure is probably the only point there I'd argue with. For the amount of money they pumped into that thing it should have been one of those rare games that reached 'epic heights' you mentioned. The only thing that saved it was they realized they botched it. And opened up a cash shop so people with tons of money could support it before it got critical. Don't get me wrong. Its free, so I still play it from time to time. The stories are great. But when I log in it takes a while to get use to it. The quality of everything besides the storytelling just seems poor.

But, yeah... I kinda got offtopic, sorry. People are always crying about some game or another being dead or dying.

As for the OP's post about this game and a subscription. I hope they don't try to add in a sub model. Every game I've played that had free players and subbers mixed was filled with strife over it.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    jserubyjseruby Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There are, I'm sure, many players like me who either are on a fixed income, or have little or no income, who enjoy playing the game as a mental escape for a few minutes a day. Having to buy Zen to get keys to open the boxes is a hardship, because we just don't have the money. How hard would it be to either create a way to earn keys, or have them drop from high-level bosses? Just like a lot of players, I have a stash of lockboxes that I'll never be able to open, because I cannot afford to buy Zen, to buy the keys. It is truly not fair to me, and players like me, who just don't have the money to spend. Don't tell me to trade my ADs - I can't play often or long enough to bank up on those, because I have responsibilities. I feel like I'm being discriminated against.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Heh, SWTOR not being a failure is probably the only point there I'd argue with. For the amount of money they pumped into that thing it should have been one of those rare games that reached 'epic heights' you mentioned. The only thing that saved it was they realized they botched it. And opened up a cash shop so people with tons of money could support it before it got critical. Don't get me wrong. Its free, so I still play it from time to time. The stories are great. But when I log in it takes a while to get use to it. The quality of everything besides the storytelling just seems poor.

But, yeah... I kinda got offtopic, sorry. People are always crying about some game or another being dead or dying.

As for the OP's post about this game and a subscription. I hope they don't try to add in a sub model. Every game I've played that had free players and subbers mixed was filled with strife over it.

if it wasn `t chat limited for free users i`d go play it.
    even my opinion is from what i saw the game looks flat, little detail.
    but if chat was there .. ;p
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    This game will still be around even when the population drops to 100k Those hard core fans will pump money into the game to keep it afloat. They will just reduce the dev size and keep the sub standard quality going as long as it can.

I wish this game was finshed first then launched with a sub. If it was a finished game it would of held onto more players longer and brought in more money so as they could keep up with the bugs and exploits at a standard rate. This would of also kept more people playing. Plus the sub would of also kept some of the gold farmers away and sellers. Botz would of been less of a problem to. If people lost a paid sub game account less illegal stuff gets tried.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jseruby wrote: »
    There are, I'm sure, many players like me who either are on a fixed income, or have little or no income, who enjoy playing the game as a mental escape for a few minutes a day. Having to buy Zen to get keys to open the boxes is a hardship, because we just don't have the money. How hard would it be to either create a way to earn keys, or have them drop from high-level bosses? Just like a lot of players, I have a stash of lockboxes that I'll never be able to open, because I cannot afford to buy Zen, to buy the keys. It is truly not fair to me, and players like me, who just don't have the money to spend. Don't tell me to trade my ADs - I can't play often or long enough to bank up on those, because I have responsibilities. I feel like I'm being discriminated against.

I'll tell you to trade ADs because you don't have to play all day to get them. Not if you play smart. Plan out your dailies and professions. You can maximize your time spent and easily make a ton of AD every week. Heck, just logging in and hitting the invoke button for 7 days in a row gives you a chance to get something that sells for 100K. If you don't want (or can't) spend money, they give us a time based option (AD). If you are saying you can't invest a little bit of time. Then maybe you need to worry about keys less. You don't actually need anything from the lockboxes to play anyway.

All that said, it would be cool if they had one weekly quest that rewarded you with a key. Might convince more people to try buying keys once they used one. But if they did, someone would complain its not enough.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Why do these threads exist? You can play this game as a sub game any time you want, put in 15$ per month and enjoy your 1500 zen on any items you wish. Save up if you want something bigger. The difference here is if you just have to have it right now you can put more money in if you want.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    snip...

i don't get how people who are obviously anti-cryptic/pwe come here to waste their time on less than 10% of the game's population with their unrealistic expectations, grasping-at-straws conjecture and doom and gloom posts.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i don't get how people who are obviously anti-cryptic/pwe come here to waste their time on less than 10% of the game's population with their unrealistic expectations, grasping-at-straws conjecture and doom and gloom posts.

Yeah really. You must not have found any better game zalcs as you would instead be in their forums commenting on said game. If you don't like NW then go do something you do enjoy, and let the people that are having fun do so.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    This game will still be around even when the population drops to 100k Those hard core fans will pump money into the game to keep it afloat. They will just reduce the dev size and keep the sub standard quality going as long as it can.

I wish this game was finshed first then launched with a sub. If it was a finished game it would of held onto more players longer and brought in more money so as they could keep up with the bugs and exploits at a standard rate. This would of also kept more people playing. Plus the sub would of also kept some of the gold farmers away and sellers. Botz would of been less of a problem to. If people lost a paid sub game account less illegal stuff gets tried.

you mean friends and family ?
    a lot of the so called hardcore players wished their money back in publc on the forum.
    after superexploit nr 1
    lot`s exploits still remaining there for months, which should be fixed. before even thinking of a mount ;p and sub game