test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So you want my money cryptic? how about a subscription model

yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I think all the lockbox changes and spamming (i get lockboxes so frequently it feels like it is bugged) would be better served if we could get a sub model that allows us to open them (like dcuo does) rather than the constant spam we get now. I have no issue with spend the 10-15 dollars a month on a sub, and i currently spend that on keys (as if i was subbing) but i find the perpetual key drop annoying and when i shell out for keys, it is really only once in a while you feel that it was not a mistake to buy the keys rather than actually go for ad and purchase.

So i wonder, how many would be willing to sub if it meant free keys? I think some sub model will serve better than the micro transactions, but i do not see the numbers. I base this on the number of complaint threads about keys in general.

I am sure you would need something else too, like maybe a few extra bank slots and a few toon slots, but i am surprised there is no sub offering.
Post edited by yyrkoonstyphoon on

Comments

• Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jack emmert has already stated that they have no intent to change to a sub model. here's the article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/05/24/cryptic-studios-ceo-jack-emmert-on-free-to-play/
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The game was conceived, designed and built from day one to be free to play, to change it would be a massive undertaking, it would probably be easier for them to just build a whole new game, and i think at present the dev's have enough work ongoing with all the bugs and problems within the game at the moment to keep them well busy for a while.

Also a sub game as a whole new set of consumer rules to follow, free to play they can near enough basically do what they want within the game, they dont 'owe' any body anything, but a sub model would would mean anything paid for with real money would have to be working as advertised and any promised new content or items would have to be stood by with the company.

There have been a few threads with this topic in mind, but although in theory it does not sound like a big undertaking, but in practice it is a whole different ball game all together.

To put it in simpler terms, if you buy a item from a shop and found it faulty, defective or even not the same colour as described, you have rights for refund or replacement. However if you are given somthing free of charge you 'get what you get'
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yea, its not happening. I looted close to 500 Fey boxes last month, they are still sitting in my bank. How many free keys would $15 a month get me? Hardly enough to make a dent in that. And what of the people who don't care to open lock boxes? What motivation would they have to sub?

Even if you had a sub model, it would do nothing to remove the cash store. CO has been a hybrid system for years now. New stuff has been added to the store each and every month, with new lockboxes. Subscribers, on the other hand, have gotten nothing new at all in all that time. With the exception of one single basic hideout for free.

Id rather not be locked into a subscription, renting my characters. Only allowed to play then when I pay the fee. Only to watch as each and every new shiny gets released as something id have to pay an additional fee, just to have. A few extra bank slots, inventory slots, character slots, and perhaps even a modest stipend. Really isn't worth the simple ability to pick and choose what I want, when I want it. All without being held hostage by a subscription.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Just a small correction to an earlier post. This was not originally conceived in the F2P model. There was quite the uproar when the announcement was made that changed it to F2P. The old forum became very active for a short time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was not suggesting a pure sub model, but rather a hybrid version like DDO and DCUO use. It is really another offering, but yeah, why would they change things?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Just a small correction to an earlier post. This was not originally conceived in the F2P model. There was quite the uproar when the announcement was made that changed it to F2P. The old forum became very active for a short time.

there is actualy a post from a lead dev on these very forums stating that it was always intended to be f2p since day 1, But that said they do change there minds alot, as what happend with the Companion unbinding feature that was stated in a few places and early reviews to be a up coming feature to be introduced into the game, Then a few months ago we get a qoute from a lead Dev stating it was NEVER intended to be introduced, lol

But as i say, in a free to play model they can change what they want and whenever they want withouit having to answere to anybody
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I was not suggesting a pure sub model, but rather a hybrid version like DDO and DCUO use. It is really another offering, but yeah, why would they change things?

i understand you thoughts, but you will find all games that have a sub option and are free to play were originaly designed to be Sub from the getgo. It is fairy easy to make a existing sub game into free to play all the same rules apply and some can be removed alltogether, But like i say to make a free to play game into a sub model, or even partial sub model is a totaly different thing altogether. most of the game would have to be re-wrote
  • Options
    whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They make far more from the shop than they would from subs believe it or not.
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited October 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    there is actualy a post from a lead dev on these very forums stating that it was always intended to be f2p since day 1, But that said they do change there minds alot, as what happend with the Companion unbinding feature that was stated in a few places and early reviews to be a up coming feature to be introduced into the game, Then a few months ago we get a qoute from a lead Dev stating it was NEVER intended to be introduced, lol

But as i say, in a free to play model they can change what they want and whenever they want withouit having to answere to anybody

The game wasn't even intended to be an MMO originally. They can change whatever they want, whenever they want.

I see no reason why the game could not be F2P, keep the zen store, and still offer a subscription that gets you x benefits over x period of time. Call it a "Premium" subscription versus a "Free" subscription.
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game wasn't even intended to be an MMO originally. They can change whatever they want, whenever they want.

I see no reason why the game could not be F2P, keep the zen store, and still offer a subscription that gets you x benefits over x period of time. Call it a "Premium" subscription versus a "Free" subscription.

Actually that isn't quite correct.

The Idea was kicked around Gencon 2009, Crypic asked attendees how they would feel about a NWN type MMO, it was met with great enthusiasm. Cryptic then went to their evil and unintelligent masters Atari since they had the D&D license at the time and asked if they could make a MMO set in Neverwinter; they said "sure you can" and handed them a quarter of what it would cost to make a MMO, so Cryptic did the only thing they could do make a single player game with some co-op elements.

When Cryptic was rescued by PWE, they asked "Didn't you originally want this to be a MMO?" And Cryptic said "yes...yes we did", so PWE gave them the funds and support to make it so.

I sorta have been around since inception of the game, so seen a lot of changes through the years...also there is no way in hell they would ever do a subscription again.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why would they make it sub when they make over 500 times more money calling it f2p?
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I think all the lockbox changes and spamming (i get lockboxes so frequently it feels like it is bugged) would be better served if we could get a sub model that allows us to open them (like dcuo does) rather than the constant spam we get now. I have no issue with spend the 10-15 dollars a month on a sub, and i currently spend that on keys (as if i was subbing) but i find the perpetual key drop annoying and when i shell out for keys, it is really only once in a while you feel that it was not a mistake to buy the keys rather than actually go for ad and purchase.

So i wonder, how many would be willing to sub if it meant free keys? I think some sub model will serve better than the micro transactions, but i do not see the numbers. I base this on the number of complaint threads about keys in general.

I am sure you would need something else too, like maybe a few extra bank slots and a few toon slots, but i am surprised there is no sub offering.

Sub model for this game would never work ever. For one people would expect a higher degree of quality from the devs. They like the substandard F2P model and the game reflects that model at present. They dont have to put out quality or quantity with a f2p model.

If you want to pay monthly you can if your that kind of person who doesnt know how a f2p model really works. Go ahead give them your 10-15 bucks a month.

At this point of low population if they went sub 15 a month or 10 a month they would start loosing money.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    Sub model for this game would never work ever. For one people would expect a higher degree of quality from the devs. They like the substandard F2P model and the game reflects that model at present. They dont have to put out quality or quantity with a f2p model.

If you want to pay monthly you can if your that kind of person who doesnt know how a f2p model really works. Go ahead give them your 10-15 bucks a month.

At this point of low population if they went sub 15 a month or 10 a month they would start loosing money.

You are typing like this is fact instead of opinion...their business model has nothing to do with the quality of the game which is just fine to the vast majority of people oh and you might want to look again PE on Dragon has been pretty packed for the past few days.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I for one would not pay a sub. I'm under the opinion that the sub model is obsolete.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Actually that isn't quite correct.

The Idea was kicked around Gencon 2009, Crypic asked attendees how they would feel about a NWN type MMO, it was met with great enthusiasm. Cryptic then went to their evil and unintelligent masters Atari since they had the D&D license at the time and asked if they could make a MMO set in Neverwinter; they said "sure you can" and handed them a quarter of what it would cost to make a MMO, so Cryptic did the only thing they could do make a single player game with some co-op elements.

When Cryptic was rescued by PWE, they asked "Didn't you originally want this to be a MMO?" And Cryptic said "yes...yes we did", so PWE gave them the funds and support to make it so.

I sorta have been around since inception of the game, so seen a lot of changes through the years...also there is no way in hell they would ever do a subscription again.

I wish they finshed what they started before they started the soft launch of the game. PWE should of gave them more funds to finsh the job
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You are typing like this is fact instead of opinion...their business model has nothing to do with the quality of the game which is just fine to the vast majority of people oh and you might want to look again PE on Dragon has been pretty packed for the past few days.

Ya well i bit the bullet and waisted an hour in the game today. About 7 instances and about 70 average on each for PE isnt packed. I waited an hour for queue on whatever the new skirmish was. What a joke after a hour i signed out.

And lagging rubber banding.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    Ya well i bit the bullet and waisted an hour in the game today. About 7 instances and about 70 average on each for PE isnt packed. I waited an hour for queue on whatever the new skirmish was. What a joke after a hour i signed out.

And lagging rubber banding.

Dunno not having your issues, your account was made this month so what you have spent five days hating so far?? Just seems to me that you're predisposed not to like the game....hope you find what you're looking for.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    I for one would not pay a sub. I'm under the opinion that the sub model is obsolete.

I agree. Not only does the F2P model allow me to spend how ever much (or little) I want, when I want (without losing access to my characters), but it also means I have no sense of having to get my play time in before my sub is up.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Hmm, i been playing on Dragon since beta weekends, have 7 lvl 60's all lvl'd up around or before the 'live' launch, i can say without any doubt PE on dragon has less than a third the population it had 3 or 4 months ago, so no idea what you think 'packed' is, as for the game being 'fine' well most of the broken and bugged content in the game at present actually worked back then, It seems every time the attempt to 'fix' one thing they break 2 or more in the process, and it is getting worse.

As for the vast majority of people you do see in game most are new players at the moment, most the 'old' players have long gone, those that are left are just hanging around in hope to see some major fixes, added to that there is a well known high majority of players who just log in to invoke set proff tasks, then log off.

"their business model has nothing to do with the quality of the game" Their business model has everything to do with the quality of the game, If you was paying for content, you would fuly expect it to work as is should. As free to play they dont 'owe' anybody anything, they can do whatever they want in the game, they can fix things when they please. If it was sub, the game would have set standards to work to and everything would have to be kept working and up to date all the time.

The free to play model from their point of view is the best for business

If this game went sub or even partial sub , they would loose money, it is free to play for a reason.

And no, i am not a hater either, i actually love the game, play every day with out fail, i just hate what it is becoming
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    Hmm, i been playing on Dragon since beta weekends, have 7 lvl 60's all lvl'd up around or before the 'live' launch, i can say without any doubt PE on dragon has less than a third the population it had 3 or 4 months ago, so no idea what you think 'packed' is, as for the game being 'fine' well most of the broken and bugged content in the game at present actually worked back then, It seems every time the attempt to 'fix' one thing they break 2 or more in the process, and it is getting worse.

As for the vast majority of people you do see in game most are new players at the moment, most the 'old' players have long gone, those that are left are just hanging around in hope to see some major fixes, added to that there is a well known high majority of players who just log in to invoke set proff tasks, then log off.

"their business model has nothing to do with the quality of the game" Their business model has everything to do with the quality of the game, If you was paying for content, you would fuly expect it to work as is should. As free to play they dont 'owe' anybody anything, they can do whatever they want in the game, they can fix things when they please. If it was sub, the game would have set standards to work to and everything would have to be kept working and up to date all the time.

The free to play model from their point of view is the best for business

If this game went sub or even partial sub , they would loose money, it is free to play for a reason.

And no, i am not a hater either, i actually love the game, play every day with out fail, i just hate what it is becoming

Interesting could you post this on an account that is older than four months? I mean if you've been playing since beta and all. :rolleyes:

Also can you provide empirical evidence that most of the people playing are new? I just don't see how you can prove that . This evening on Dragon PE there was fifteen instances with an average of 90 players just in PE, 1350 players on just in the town proper instance is nothing to sneeze at.

As far as bugs go... I have been reporting bugs since beta one, I'm pretty familiar with most of the major ones and the outstanding bugs now are the intermittent ones, if you ask anyone who has ever done any development what so ever they will tell you intermittent bugs are the worse to track down and address.

But glad you love the game and all, stick around it''ll get better.
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Let's say 20$/month Sub model = infinite keys for you. Which means you can open all lockboxes until your heart's content, which means way less money for the company. Since not everyone would sub for that, because the people who sub would get the free keys and put them on AH ( we would see keys for 20k each due to the infinite resource of them due to the sub).

But right now, if you want a mount you would pay over 60$ on keys and you may still not get them. Not to mention some intentionally open lock boxes just for trade bars nothing else.

So your idea basically would make the company lose money, and would make the items from lockboxes extremely cheap.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Interesting could you post this on an account that is older than four months? I mean if you've been playing since beta and all. :rolleyes:

Also can you provide empirical evidence that most of the people playing are new? I just don't see how you can prove that . This evening on Dragon PE there was fifteen instances with an average of 90 players just in PE, 1350 players on just in the town proper instance is nothing to sneeze at.

As far as bugs go... I have been reporting bugs since beta one, I'm pretty familiar with most of the major ones and the outstanding bugs now are the intermittent ones, if you ask anyone who has ever done any development what so ever they will tell you intermittent bugs are the worse to track down and address.

But glad you love the game and all, stick around it''ll get better.

This account is older than 4 mounths along with the 5 others i have got.

For them , yes the game is going 'fine' Going off their quarterly public profit report, it is going better than 'fine', but thats their monetary income the game as gone definatly into decline, its survives off the income of new players first and formost and as no player retention content what so ever.

I also have been reporting bugs since beta and some are still here in the game, lol,
    As for players online the past few days, for a start there is a 'special' event on, which always boosts online players. and i think 1350 players in PE in all instances during such a event when most are based in PE while queing for such event, out of a claimed 2 milion unique players is far from being busy in a international world wide MMO

I was in Rothe Vally last night, at peak US time, and there was 3 instances open, the one i was in had 2 players in it, and the others, 1 one had 8 and 1 had 13 players. thats a total of 23 players in one zone in a world wide MMO and in a peak time, that is a long way from being remotely busy. same with Gauntlgrym last night, we had 45 players on our side for the first PVE event, i never seen it so empty.

I never said i could 'prove' most players are new, you are making assumptions, you only have to look around to see players lvls and see the constant spam on PE zone chat of people asking obviously new player questions.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As one of the more significant perks of subbing, why not just let subbers open lockboxes without the need of a key? That would give much more value to a subscription than many F2P games have now.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    As one of the more significant perks of subbing, why not just let subbers open lockboxes without the need of a key? That would give much more value to a subscription than many F2P games have now.

That seems insanely generous. This last month alone I looted 500 Feywild boxes. What motivation would their be to allow my $15 a month equal $625 in keys? When that very same $15 is only worth 500 zen in both STO and CO.

Sure, the main rebuttal is. The drop rate of the Fey boxes was over the top. I should of looted a fraction of that. Problem is, it really doesn't matter. You can buy all the boxes you want for 200AD, they sell for next to nothing.

So, assuming you actually have a system where subscribers can open an unlimited number of boxes per month. Do, you honestly think they would stop at just looted boxes? Can you not envision a system where it would be abused to absurd levels? For the low low cost of 200AD I would buy thousands of them. And so would everyone else. To the point that nothing in the boxes would be worth anything.

Why would cryptic do that?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Undoubtably the current free to play model is the best for both player and company, for a start if they thought any different it would not be free to play currently, and the big plus for them having it free to play leaves them with no agreements to honor, they can do and change what ever they want and when ever they want.

As for the player, you can spend what you want,its up to you, can play when ever you want. litteraly 'no strings attached' for both player and company.

Free to play with a cash shop makes them alot more money than sub or partial sub would ever do, plus any 'perks' they would or could offer any 'sub' version would have to be in their favor, otheriwse there is no point them doing it from the start. Its a business and designed to make money from entertainment. end of. If it dont make them profit they would not do it at all
  • Options
    mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't see the advantage of a subscription model in this game. You can't start F2P and then go sub, you'll alienate a good portion of your fanbase. Companies only go F2P from from a sub model after they realize they can't make bankroll.
    You'd be surprised how much money people will dump into a cash store game compared to a monthly sub game.

Gambling is fun.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »

It would give too much value, actually.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i like sub more too.
    more serious people who don`t put their accounts at risk maybe.
    the spam of players is actualy worse then goldsellers.
    but certainly wouldn`t do it with this game.
    it`ll never be a sub game also.
    it`s actualy a beta game.
    too much wrong with it.
    just a timefiller.

downside of sub is i have to play each day if i decide to go for it. because i don`t like paying and not playing much then :s

so afterall i don`t like sub, wildstar system is going to close the gap a little for me.
    which has the option to play frequently to purchase the gametime with ingame currency and also the option of sub.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    MOD NOTICE:

Please do not respond to a post which may be violating Rules of Conduct. Quoting a violation will result in subsequent removal of the post.

Per RoC, responding to this notice is prohibited. If you have any questions about this notice, use the PM system or the support website. Thanks!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    uhm no for a multitude of reasons... Those that are about to launch with sub models will most likely end up F2P, it's only a matter of time, even wildstar with it's popularity I'm sure will eventually hit that wall.