test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TR new player help

kenakthkenakth Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Thieves' Den
So I started playing the game five days ago and hit 60 yesterday (had the time off), and decided to PvP. Upon rolling my first character (a human TR), I wound up rolling the stats listed in the INT rogue PvP build that tends to stick on the first page here. Thought I'd give it a try, and learned a couple things.

One: I suck at PvP. I fully admit that, and will get better.
Two: The build doesn't seem to have any damage. This is likely due to a lack of gear, stemming from just hitting level 60, but I find myself constantly being berated over my lack of damage, and only being good for stalling point captures.

I'm finding the build isn't my style. Having hit 60 so quickly on my first character, I have a poor grasp of game mechanics and theory crafting. Is it really worth re-rolling another TR for different stats, or should I just stick with what I have and try to find something else that's a bit more damaging? Starting stats were 15 str/13 con/15 dex/12(+2) int/13 wis/14 charisma. I don't mind leveling another character if it would make that much of a difference. The end goal is primarily PvP, but hopefully having the ability to deal sufficient damage in the occasional dungeon.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't want this to degrade into an argument over if permanent stealth is viable/cowardly/stupid/lame/cheap/etc. or not, please don't let it get to that.
Post edited by kenakth on

Comments

• Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Don't reroll, just respec. I think it's like 350 zen (like $3.50) for a respec token. If damage is what you're after, go with a standard executioner build.
  • Options
    jaradofwindcrestjaradofwindcrest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd say it depends on how important min/maxing is to you. If you're more of a casual player, or no longer have the time off, respec'ing makes more sense. A few stat points here or there won't make or break your character, especially if you already know permastealth isn't for you. (Perma is much easier with higher Int.)
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    reroll absolutely. you have 5 days in the game ie nothing, no gear no time in it, and if you don't like the int build rerolling is the only way to fix it. There is no way to fix your starting stat distribution or race choice.

Just roll a Half Orc with 18 dex starting and strength/cha secondary
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    reroll absolutely. you have 5 days in the game ie nothing, no gear no time in it, and if you don't like the int build rerolling is the only way to fix it. There is no way to fix your starting stat distribution or race choice.

Just roll a Half Orc with 18 dex starting and strength/cha secondary

You can change your attributes (Int/Str/Dex/Etc) with respec. Race? Not so much...
  • Options
    appl3martiniappl3martini Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi,

how do I equip my left hand for a trickster rogue?
    I cant seem to equip em. :(

Thank you for the clarification.
  • Options
    goblinelitegoblinelite Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've been playing long enough to have a mid thirties CW and a low forties GWF. As I was considering a TR, I was doing some raw calculation combined with my play style, and a question came up: does one need the end of the paragon power ladder for other things than feats? I'm curious to experiment with a mix of two tiers of the top (stealth) and three tiers of the bottom (crit) because it seems like it might be funky. The end tiers of CW and GWF I can see as must-haves, but I'm wondering if the mix I'm considering might actually be worth not going for end-tier paragon TR.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    You just hit 60, of course you aren't going to do well in PvP. You need some gear, experience, and enchants. The perma-stealth build really only works in the hands of a well geared and experienced player as well, you may want to try an executioner build with lashing blade or impact shot as your main damage. Do some gauntlgrym and get the skulkers set, that is a must for perma-stealth first of all, and is also BiS for a TR in PvP. You can also get the Skulker daggers, they are a close 2nd to the ancient daggers (actually better for some people)

Once you have full T2 and skulker daggers (or at least T2 epic daggers) try PvP again, it will be a very different experience.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Alright, thanks for the advice. I guess for now I will stick with this character. If I reroll I would be sticking with human anyways most likely, with drow or tiefling as a possible option (I never could stand surface elves or orcs... that's just me being picky.) I knew I needed gear to make the permastealth build work. Does Gauntlegrym require me to be in a guild?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kenakth wrote: »
    Does Gauntlegrym require me to be in a guild?

Yes, but the regular PvP set works very well.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just finished the regular PvP set... thanks for the help everyone.
  • Options
    malphaeousmalphaeous Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2013
    reroll, and when you get to the stats screen on Character gen you can keep rolling for better starting stats than that. look at the builds especially the exec builds for DPS and map out where you want to go with feats and powers before you level.
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Did I mention, I do not have good intentions?