test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Opinions: Is it worth Upgrading the common Cleric Disciple?

sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
For my Guardian Fighter, I was thinking of Upgrading my Cleric Disciple companion. Thoughts and opinions?
Post edited by sedryntyros on

Comments

• jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't waste AD on it

I only found her useful during levelling, after that i don't think i've used her once on my GWF. My DC doesn't even have her for obvious reasons
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wouldnt bother upgrading any companions. Unless you just got loads and loads and loads of excessive AD to throw away.

I would only advise it if your swimming in AD.
  • jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    For my Guardian Fighter, I was thinking of Upgrading my Cleric Disciple companion. Thoughts and opinions?

No. It will not heal for more and it will still die. All you get for upgrading it is a higher HP pool which gives it a little more survivability, but not much. And, as already mentioned, once you hit 60 you really won't use it too much. You are better off using a stone and potions at that point.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would not spend 300k AD on that upgrade.
    If you're going to spend anything, go for the IGN Prime account ($6) and get the green Faithful Initiate cleric companion for your entire account. Check the promotions wiki page for directions: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Promotional_Item_Giveaway_Codes
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I use a green cleric, but I think a white one gets the same slots when fully levelled, no?

I use a mix of rank 5 profane and empowered runestones on them for extra defense and hitpoints. Neck and icon slots are level 60 green items with defense and recovery. Survivability with this build seems pretty good in Feywild with my GWF. She's doing what she's supposed to do.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jarlsburg wrote: »
    No. It will not heal for more and it will still die. All you get for upgrading it is a higher HP pool which gives it a little more survivability, but not much. And, as already mentioned, once you hit 60 you really won't use it too much. You are better off using a stone and potions at that point.
    This pretty much what I thought would happen - a bit more survivability. I still find the Cleric Disciple useful in solo PvE, but I am not gonna upgrade any companion for a bit more HP.
    Upgrading the quality, and higher quality in general, should give a substantial boost to the companion stats and powers, not just allow higher levels.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    why would you need to upgrade her anyways? you should be able to solo quite well as a gf with the white one, once you go into a dungeon you have a dc and the heals your companion gives you there won't turn the tide anyway (most likely the cleric will facetank the boss anyway and die or stand around without dodging the red areas and die to the first aoe). so even if it has slightly better stats you won't see any differences at all. if if would cost 20k to upgrade then i would upgrade any companion just for the fun part of it. but costs don't justify the benefits at all.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Strange as it may sound, if a team has all rank 25-30 companions, they often draw off some of the heat from teammates and other companions, especially when enemies randomly pop up or when running past enemies to die at a fireplace. There are times where they will simply wipe though, like when dracolich starts using the hand.
  • bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Agree with the replys, dont upgrade, Upgrade wont make her more robust and she wont heal for much more even at lvl 30, all upgrading will do is open up more gear slots, which even if equiped with epics will not make that much difference to her survivabilty or healing.

Agree also with the above reply 'loose' companions have a bad habit of pulling threat from loose mobs.

Save your AD and save for a Ioun stone or Cat, 2 upgrades on your cleric would buy a Ioun stone with some AD left over. I am sorry but the ONLY companions IMO, worth spending on are the Ioun stone or cat and i think most people would agree here, all other companions are just fluff in comparison.
    Every enchant and item you equipe onto a Stone or cat you will get a full 100% of those stats added to yours, you just cant beat that.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The best upgrade you can give your companion is to give it a lot of Life Steal/regen/recovery items...don't bother upgrading it. The same goes for the green (promo) cleric - it is not worth upgrading to blue, but with the right items it will last you well up to level 59, and while soloing as lvl 60 as well.

Just about the only companion that you might consider upgrading is the green Ioun stone of might - it might be worthwhile to upgrade that to blue.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you have to ask then you already know the answer. Hell no.:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree with the previous posters, it is not worth it in AD. As others have said, it is hard to beat the stone or cat for what they give.

What I would suggest cryptic consider doing for the common companions is to structure upgrades for them based on gold. They cost gold initially, so we could do a gold upgrade for the common ones. Something like 10 - green, 30 - blue, and 50 to 75 for purple. This could potentially raise the value of this currency. It would also be worth re-evaluating the AD, zen, and real money obtained companions for an upgrade price reduction in AD.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

No it is a HUGE waste of AD's
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited September 2013
    Absolutely not.

The only companion I would upgrade is the Ioun Stone of Might. It comes as green, meaning you can't equip its second ring til you upgrade it to blue. I wouldn't bother upgrading it to purple.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you have to ask then you already know the answer. Hell no.:)
    <meme video removed per Rules>
    va8Ru.gif
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think the Acolyte of Kelemvor is good once she gets her level 30 power. And there's the Lillend. I don't think I'd ugprade the cleric companion, as it won't make her heal better.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm thinking I'll just go for the Ioun Stone of Allure instead of upgrading any of my existing companions.
  • kartaekartae Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    One thing you can do, if you want to see how she would be upgraded is copy your character to the test server and upgrade there. This doesn't effect your real character at all and lets you see what will happen.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    300K? Not worth it.

There are epic companions who has healing but you should buy augmentation instead!
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    If you're going to spend anything, go for the IGN Prime account ($6) and get the green Faithful Initiate cleric companion for your entire account. Check the promotions wiki page for directions: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Promotional_Item_Giveaway_Codes

This.

I cannot stress enough how useful it is to have a healing companion immediately after the tutorial that is green quality. For EVERY character you ever make. It's definitely worth the 7 dollars it costs to get it. I have the HoTN, Guardian, AND Feywild packs (and therefore all of those purple quality strikers that come with them) and the Faithful Initiate is still the first companion I use, and the one I use the most.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The first thing you should do when you hit 60 is delete all your non-augment companions so that you never accidentally have one summoned when you enter a dungeon. you will never use them again, much less pay AD to upgrade them. You don't even need them for soloing.
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    If you have the AD, get the Lillend. She doesn't heal as much as the Cleric but there's the 20% additional damage debuff which works wonders on enemies. And if anyone in your party is taking a lot of damage, she will go to them and assist them in battle.
  • manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »

This.

Your best bet will be to get an augument companion (at this point and time).

I still enjoy the other pets and still run around with them because hell, never know when Cryptic might actually make the little <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> useful and not an aggro magnet in dungeons (hey, it could happen....).

At the moment though, NPCs die too fast, the Cleric hireling included. The green quality one at least is an account wide level 20 'upgrade' from your current cleric. It's a Tiefling instead of human. Have kept her out as life insurance on my characters that haven't earned either the cat or the ioun stone. If you notice, Cryptic does have a thread (probably burried right now) that is asking for our advice on how to fix the NPCs, and I strongly suggest everyone hit there pointing out every little aggro issue you've ever had in a dungeon with them.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?478021-Think-tank-Companions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh you got to lvl 60? Conrgats! Now buy a cat/stone. Any other companion for any class is waste in PVE.
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to try it... just to see... who knows... but level 25 upgrade is not to green, that's a blue companion.. I plan on upgrading her just to say I did, and if I can justify it in boss fights then it will be worth it.

Also you can not upgrade augment companions...

A properly geared cleric with purple gear, slotted with rank 7 or 8 enchants AND an augment stone might be dayum interesting. Once I do... I will repost here and let you know.
  • valeriob80valeriob80 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I'm interested too, since with the upgrade the cleric should gain a new skill too... I'd like to know what it exactly does (the tooltip is a bit obscure, does it mean that she will do AoE heal instad of single target?) and if it's worth these 300k :-)

P.S.: All other healing companions have % of healing far lower than the cleric 20%, do they heal more often or they simply heal less?
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Another thing I noticed is the even tho the skills are the same, the base stats for the normal cleric and upstart cleric are different.

The upstart cleric has defense as it's base stat, while the normal cleric has recovery.