test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Malabog's Castle - 3/3 Clears after Val Patch

dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A really quick poll:

Who has beaten Malabog's Castle last boss (Val + Dragon) after the patch that fixed Val's bug and hasn't used any other bugs. Legit 3/3 Kills.

I'm on Mindflayer and have a solid group that clears MC and haven't found others that can beat them since patch.
Post edited by dkcandy on

Comments

• Options
    alandoril1alandoril1 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's simple enough if your dps react fast enough when she appears.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I haven't but that's a lot to do with:
    1) Being in a guild with only 1 or 2 regulars on, so pugs may not be as skilled. I should search for a new guild though.
    2) Being lazy. The drop rates are horrible, not only are we unlikely to get fragments or off hand items, we're unlikely to get anything remotely of value apart from the chest item making it almost a complete waste of time.
    3) Dragon is bugged. Why should I try coping with valindra when the dragon can ace us out of range.

Basically there's little incentive for me to actually queue for it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The bugs with the dragon actually bring a unique challenge to the fight, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. My group is even able to 4 man the entire fight. But I also come from Eastern MMO's & Older WoW that had very complex boss fights with many 1 shot team wipe boss mechanic's.

So figuring out the bosses animations, rotations and timers is pretty intuitive.
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This should be seen as a cautionary tale in "Be careful what you wish for". People kept asking for a boss fight without a dumb boss and many adds. Well now you got it, and it seems very awkward. This game was designed around many adds, hence the reason for a Control Wizard and certain Cleric abilities.

These type of boss fights dont really match up well with the current class structure.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    The bugs with the dragon actually bring a unique challenge to the fight, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. My group is even able to 4 man the entire fight. But I also come from Eastern MMO's & Older WoW that had very complex boss fights with many 1 shot team wipe boss mechanic's.

So figuring out the bosses animations, rotations and timers is pretty intuitive.

So, this poll is meant for boasting?

Besides, many people cleared MC without bugs in the first week, including me on my CW main. This is because it was fresh and new and all the most geared, experienced and eager players threw themselves enthusiastically at it.

Now, everyone has figured out there is little incentive to do it and those that want to do it are either undergeared (yes, Valindra is meant to be a dps check) or inexperienced or uncoordinated. So, few bother doing more than 2/3.

It is basically the "Epic Dread Vault Effect", except greatly shorter dungeon and at least Epic DV endboss has a chance for a big reward. :)
  • Options
    komodoonekomodoone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 64
    edited September 2013
    I have tried about 5 times, but eventually, she will come down and the group will either be too far away to get to her in time or will miss seeing her until it’s too late. Then it is portal time.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The bugs with the dragon actually bring a unique challenge to the fight, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. My group is even able to 4 man the entire fight.

Video or it didn't happen.;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Video or it didn't happen.;)

:( No video's sorry. But what you need is:

2 - Players that can 1 shot VAL
    1 - DPS GF that controls the dragon and prevents breath on team mates during VAL encounters and worst case can solo Burst VAL.
    1 - DC that doesn't die to stupid things

So you end up with (3) Players that can solo burst VAL & 1 Good DC. The only hard part of the entire fight is VAL portals because once the white knights are summoned the fight goes to ****.

The 5th player can be any class.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    It is basically the "Epic Dread Vault Effect", except greatly shorter dungeon and at least Epic DV endboss has a chance for a big reward. :)

Big rewards in Dread Vault?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, that's a good one! :D
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Big rewards in Dread Vault?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, that's a good one! :D

[Longsword of the Timeless Hero] alone is 2M-3M reward. Not big enough for you? :)

Of course, Feywild may have devalued it somewhat. But someone always wants such things for vanity reasons alone and those are the kind of players that can afford such prices.
  • Options
    realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've only manage to kill her without exploit once, and that was my first kill on the day I unlocked the dungeon. Used Dest GWF/2 CW/TR/DC. We were all decked out too.
    Our guild hasn't bothered enough to try hard beating her at this moment since the work you put into it isn't even worth the payoff.
    Admiralsig.png
  • Options
    therancidcattherancidcat Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Beat it with a PUG yesterday, i'm a dps GF, i really don't see what the problem is, it all went pretty straight forward?

However, whoever listed it as a 45min dungeon, needs shooting.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can do it easily, did her legit for the first few days of feywild. Question is why bother? Theres no reward for fighting that boss. Oh a fey touched shard and a 34silver blue drop? Sign me up! Wait i get better rewards from gnarlroot cave.
    45min sounds about right for 3/3 clear. If you're doing the side rooms in the castle, the competing adventuring party, etc it could take longer.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    At least you admit it. Doing it in public on the forums isn't the smartest thing, though.
    Now tell me, what is the right way to go?

Not the one where you shoot someone for only taking an apple.
  • Options
    durandurahandurandurahan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have with guildmates, but never with PUG. so I choose never. Because if you have queue available for every dungeon, then it must can be cleared/done by PUG or queue party.
  • Options
    riftizdeadriftizdead Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2013
    For those that think the fight is straight forward, yes it is but the area is kind of big and how do you deal with it when Valindra is too far to reach her ?

I thought the mechanics was valindra only teleports to one of the members and cast a "choke" spell, if you can burn her in 2 secs: safe, if not she'll put up a portal in the same spot. At least this was pre patched to me. But now it seems Valindra comes down to any spot in the area and sometimes we are just too far from her.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you should fight always in the middle of the battlefield.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If she is putting down a portal there is no life or death rush. Kill the portal and deal with the unhallowed, fulms phase change lightning rake kills any wights between phases.
  • Options
    feiergiantfeiergiant Member Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    1 - DC that doesn't die to stupid things

there we go. impossible dungeon.
  • Options
    realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    At least you admit it. Doing it in public on the forums isn't the smartest thing, though.

Personally, i wish every exploiter would just leave the game... starting to hate these mmo locusts, whose only desire is to break things and make the game worse for everybody else except themselves. Just because they are 12 or less years old, or their countries do not have laws, it doesn't give them the right to ignore the rules.

Example:

If you wanna pick apples, on somebody's property. Do you ask that person if you're allowed to?
    Or do you hop over the fence, because it isn't high enough to hold you back anyway?

What would happen?

Answer A: You would probably get permission, or not in the worst case.

Answer B: You would probably get shot, before you even reach the apple tree.

Now tell me, what is the right way to go?

I don't think you understand how the "old" exploit went. It was unavoidable. We didn't do it on purpose. We would keep wiping on the boss and at some point, Valindra just ends up despawning.
    Admiralsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    riftizdead wrote: »
    I thought the mechanics was valindra only teleports to one of the members and cast a "choke" spell, if you can burn her in 2 secs: safe, if not she'll put up a portal in the same spot. At least this was pre patched to me. But now it seems Valindra comes down to any spot in the area and sometimes we are just too far from her.

This happened originally before the patch too.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    OK so my group tried again today for the second time since patch and more stupid bugs:

- Valindra sometimes teleported down without having any indication that she is about to (such as the evil laugh etc...).

- The dragon wing flap aoe is a lot bigger than what it looks like on the ground. About 1.5 times more than the red circle around the dragon.

- Valindra even spawned a portal in the spot by where she stands on the cliff and the adds came down to us. There is no way for us to take down the portal. Unless range have to focus on it.

- Even keeping the dragon dead center of the area, sometimes valindra teleported to the edge of the area and make it impossible to get to her in time.

Last but not least, from what I read earlier today that cryptic never had any kind of method to measure the difficulty of this fight when they designed it other than make it extremely hard not even themselves can pass it and just let the players "test the water out" for them, I think this is like the last nail in the coffin as far as their competency in gaming design. The current cryptic team has no business to be in MMO industry period. I mean when you put those stat numbers on gears/characters/monsters for a reason along with variety of spells/attacks etc......and now it sounds like you just put them there for the heck of it. Really ?!?!?

Do you even have data analysts as part of the game design or just a couple of dev's a the rest is just a never-ending-greed cash shop ??

This reminded me of the failed Diablo 3 with J. Wilson so who is on cryptic team now ?
  • Options
    finalwinterfinalwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good cleric with x2 CW that know how to use their class and know the mechanics behind Val+ a very good TR and a GWF. We killed the dragon in less than 10 min. Not a hard fight if you have an elite team that knows what they are doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Good cleric with x2 CW that know how to use their class and know the mechanics behind Val+ a very good TR and a GWF. We killed the dragon in less than 10 min. Not a hard fight if you have an elite team that knows what they are doing.

We 1 shot valindra every time she came down except for when she is by the edge of the area and then we had to deal with adds. And as I stated, other times she just popped up "quietly" and caught us off guard and then the deceiving red aoe from the dragon that just made me say "F&** this is just a waste of time". I am not saying it is not doable for everyone cause obviously some are able to beat it like your team. But do I have to do it and go the gd extra miles to "accommodate" the incompetency/laziness here ? No. It's not worthy.
  • Options
    zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This should be seen as a cautionary tale in "Be careful what you wish for". People kept asking for a boss fight without a dumb boss and many adds. Well now you got it, and it seems very awkward. This game was designed around many adds, hence the reason for a Control Wizard and certain Cleric abilities.

These type of boss fights dont really match up well with the current class structure.

HAhahaha So why do ppl still take 2-3 CW's to these fights? Oh yes it's because CWs pop Val with Iceknife instantly at range where very other DPS has to close in fast enough and do more damage than a CW can at range. So good TR's can do it. GWFs and GF's cannot.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you can't figure out dragon wing buffet I'd suggest your team goes to karru and learn how all dragon wing buffets work since the patch in a carefree environment without fear of dying. hint it's the dodge key.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you can't figure out dragon wing buffet I'd suggest your team goes to karru and learn how all dragon wing buffets work since the patch in a carefree environment without fear of dying. hint it's the dodge key.
    That's nice, but if there's an indicator range then I expect it to work correctly. Using dodge is kind of too forgiving imo, you can dodge something and still be in the red area and dodge it, but if you try and dodge the 'right' way out of the zone but not timing it the same way then you can get hit.

@riftozdead Well it's the same requirements as CN which is insanely hard and has much tougher mobs. to get to the final boss, so it wasn't really going to be an easy ride. Of course I can't really talk if I've not done it legitimately yet because I'd rather have my work pay off instead of just getting blues.
  • Options
    zhhkzhhk Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lets be honest, bugging Valindra made Fulminorax more like a Canary than a Dragon.

Valindra and Fulminorax aren't that hard, your team needs some communication that's all. Of course you require some gear in order to murder the last two bosses in one of the two final dungeons in the game, but that's to be expected. I don't know how many people try a Rainbow setup in this dungeon, but I'd say that's a bad idea. The two best class setups is as follows:

2 x CW / 1 x GF/GWF / 1 x TR / 1 x DC
    3 x CW / 1 x TR / 1 x DC

I personally prefer bringing three Control Wizards because the trash and first two bosses are killed that much faster. The nice thing about bringing either a Guardian Fighter or Great Weapon Fighter is both of them are like sponges when it comes to damage. But with three Control Wizards you can mow down pretty much anything in little under a minute. Your for sure biggest problem is going to be the Totemist's.

When it comes to Valindra and Fulminorax you want to fight in the exact same spot you're used to from bugging her. You want to stand pretty close to the middle, but somewhat closer to the door than to the off-end of the map. The Control Wizards need to see Valindra on her spot at all times. You need to keep track of when she's gonna spawn a Portal and when she's going to choke and kill a member of your group. She always chokes first, then spawns a Portal second. Every member of the group has to save their Daily, that's what is going to make this work. Control Wizards manage to build AP fast enough to have their Daily both for her choking a member, and her spawning a portal. Anyone who is not a Control Wizard should save their daily for her Portal.

If she does indeed manage to spawn a Portal it needs to be destroyed before loads of adds come through it. The Portal itself doesn't have too much HP so while the TR is tanking the Dragon on the far side of the map the rest of you can burn that portal and add within about 20 seconds of spawning. I understand this boss is hard without using any sort of VoIP, but I also think that's to be expected. Turning off your music and turning up your in-game sound is also something you should try. Valindra will make a grand entrance before she's actually on the map so just listen for her if you don't have a direct line of sight.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    me and my guildies killed it after 2 tries. it is definately refreshing to fight a boss like this, but since then everyone just uses bugs.

all we had to do was
    1. dps save dailies for valindra
    2. boss tank the dragon parallel against a wall/side.

thats all there is too it. and we was using 1 gf, 2 gwf, cw (me) + DC. wasnt too difficult. didnt even use voice coms.

i think any composition is viable, but having a GF sure does make the fight alot easier.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".