test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the GOAL of this game

kinextionskinextions Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello...the only other game ive ever played in the MMORPG world is SWTOR and in that game there is a basic storyline to follow. In NW i dont get the point. I go into a cave, kill a few monsters and then kill the main boss???? is that it, do I just keep doing this over and over?????
Post edited by kinextions on

Comments

• Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You are doing T1, T2 dungeons, Gauntgrlym and then finally Castle Never. You are doing Sharandar quests and then finally Malabog Castle.
    I didn't know about a big difference in the other MMOs.
  • Options
    ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Goal is to get you to buy Zen.
  • Options
    kanenankanenan Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Collect Mounts. New mounts every week while major issues go unanswered! You will forget about all of them while riding your overpriced Flayed Rainbow ManBearPig.
    - behold, halflings.
  • Options
    seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Fun, maybe? I've been playing MMOs as long as they've existed, and so far I've haven't accomplished a darn thing except a lot of fun.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kinextions wrote: »
    Hello...the only other game ive ever played in the MMORPG world is SWTOR and in that game there is a basic storyline to follow. In NW i dont get the point. I go into a cave, kill a few monsters and then kill the main boss???? is that it, do I just keep doing this over and over?????

You mean from PWE/Cryptic's standpoint or the players? You might not like either answer. As to your other question, yes, but as you get higher lvl so do the number of adds you have to fight. You're welcome.:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The gauntlgrym horse race is the ultimate challenge of this game. Once you have achieved a perfect gear score, have a 110% mount, you can compete in a tower capping bonanza along with 39 other highly skilled equestrians. vying for first place. As the race goes on, powerful npc's will appear on the map to fight against you or fight on your side, depending on how many bardings your side collected in the exciting preceding gauntlgrym pve event. After the wonderful parade of armored bears, unicorns, nightmares, and other exotic specimens of 3500 zen coin mounts is over and your faction's horses proves themselves to be victorious, celebrate with the following event to challenge the undead dwarf kng in his own lair.
  • Options
    diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Personally i think the goal of this game is to create your own character who plays through all the different areas, following the storyline and eventually getting to max level where you aquire all the epic gear so that you can do all the hardest content.
    More content will come out and this will continue, a lot of people in games like this only seem to see the last point, grind and get epics, i don't like those people.

I understand what you're saying about the storyline though, at first it seems like there will be one, with the necromancer and the theft of the crown of neverwinter, but then it seems to just break away from that into random things, the story does pick up again i in little pieces here and there, but i think it could be better connected.
  • Options
    azithothazithoth Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2013
    The gauntlgrym horse race is the ultimate challenge of this game. Once you have achieved a perfect gear score, have a 110% mount, you can compete in a tower capping bonanza along with 39 other highly skilled equestrians. vying for first place. As the race goes on, powerful npc's will appear on the map to fight against you or fight on your side, depending on how many bardings your side collected in the exciting preceding gauntlgrym pve event. After the wonderful parade of armored bears, unicorns, nightmares, and other exotic specimens of 3500 zen coin mounts is over and your faction's horses proves themselves to be victorious, celebrate with the following event to challenge the undead dwarf kng in his own lair.

i thought the idea was once you have perfect gear and mount is to sit in the middle of market for hours on end... o,O
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for all the replies.....I have a lot to read about on this game.....i am a TR in this game and I'm level 43. I just seem to have gotten bored with this game very quickly and it is the game I was waiting for for so long. at least with SWTOR there are several different storylines to start out with. If i pick a new character in this game it is still the same story.....oh well.
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kinextions, it would be very sad if you were to leave before you saw the end game dragons. They have the same animation as dog companions and is very cute!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The goal is obvious. Race to 60, then moan and complain on the forums.

In all seriousness the over all story is fairly hard to miss. Each zone has its own self contained story that can only be missed by skipping dialog. This adds to the main story by adding to the list of friends and allies that can help Neverwinter due to your efforts.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for all the replies.....I have a lot to read about on this game.....i am a TR in this game and I'm level 43. I just seem to have gotten bored with this game very quickly and it is the game I was waiting for for so long. at least with SWTOR there are several different storylines to start out with. If i pick a new character in this game it is still the same story.....oh well.

Well, this game is module/hub based, so it's more similar to games like DDO than the more typical MMOs like your example here. I personally like it, there's freedom to pick and choose content, and skip something you don't like. Each hub is basically a self-contained story with only limited interaction with others, and there isn't really an overarching storyline to speak of. It's like a collection of short stories vs one long novel in this regard. Some of the stories do have a plenty of character if you bother to read the dialogue.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    imo swtor is kind of unique where the class-specific storylines are concerned. I kind of like NW better though. It is not as good in terms of game balance, items, currency, or overall content. But NW DOES have crack-level addictiveness in terms of pure game-play.
  • Options
    nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    have fun and spend money so the developers can buy houses,cars and vacation homes and pay for the kids collage.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

The goal of this game is plain and simple. For you the player to get tricked into buying zen or items from the zen store. If you spent money on the game then you have gotten to the main over all goal.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Well, this game is module/hub based, so it's more similar to games like DDO than the more typical MMOs like your example here. I personally like it, there's freedom to pick and choose content, and skip something you don't like. Each hub is basically a self-contained story with only limited interaction with others, and there isn't really an overarching storyline to speak of. It's like a collection of short stories vs one long novel in this regard. Some of the stories do have a plenty of character if you bother to read the dialogue.

Thanks...that was a great explination. And thanks to everyone else. I do like the game and I wont be quitting anytime soon.
  • Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The goal with every game is the same; have fun.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013

The game does have story lines that crop up every once in awhile that act as threads that interweave with the specific stories of each area. Valindra Shadowmantle's efforts against Neverwinter, and Valindra herself, are mentioned several times as you go through the story, with the occasional run in with her. Also, the rebuilding of Neverwinter, and the strengthening or relationships with those near the city, are mentioned several times too, as the backdrop for some adventures.

The main storyline of the game, though, is you.

In particular, it is about how your character develops from someone that washed up on a beach that just happened to get caught up in an attack on Neverwinter to someone who becomes a hero of that city through his varied adventures on behalf of it. This transformation is shown over time by how you are viewed by those of Neverwinter as shown in how NPCs act, react, and interact with you as the game goes on.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While I have to agree with SWTOR had a much better story for each class, this game is way more free 2 play then SWTOR was. There are actually very few if any game/play limits here, where as SW very seriously hampered you if you didn't spend any money and if you spent just a little you got a couple of those lifted, but otherwise you might as well have subbed.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    traveller609traveller609 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    To keep you entertained until Skyrim Online or Pathfinder Online?
  • Options
    omenjsjomenjsj Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I have a guildie who spends their day picking flowers in the summer festival........
  • Options
    hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2013
    Have you been playing Foundry quests? I'm finding the most interesting stories in the game via Foundry.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    To give you something to do until Elderscrolls online or WILDSTAR MMO starts up. I am leaning to WILDSTAR MMO since Elderscrolls online is for Xbox one and ps4 and PC.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013

The main storyline, (before counting the modules like Feywild), is to aid Neverwinter and its allies with their problems. This takes you to different areas where Sgt. Knox et al think you can be of most help. There are a few missions related to your class or race, but overall this game is more about you helping Neverwinter than any sort of personal agenda.

The existence of epic dungeons at 60, while nice, makes things a bit weirder since each dungeon can be thought of as the ultimate completion of their respective zones - Cloaktower, for instance, is where you face off against the leader of the orcs that are assaulting the tower district...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    rki2rki2 Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2013
    the current goal atm is to...FINISH THIS DAMNN PATCH
  • Options
    derkesthai#1386 derkesthai Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    +1

(and I have a slow connection so I don't patch run-time, because then I have to wait 5 minutes between every transition)

On topic:
    Goal of the game.. have fun and try not to get annoyed too much by whining people.
    rki2 wrote: »
    the current goal atm is to...FINISH THIS DAMNN PATCH
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    you guys always have the best responses......lol....thanks for the feedback. I love the D&D type games and being a drow.....what is another comparison to this game????
  • Options
    buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The story is Neverwinter: its fall to near ruin and the factors that shaped its fall; the factions vying for control; the challenges from the surrounding environments; the aftermath of spellplague; and enemies hampering its rebuilding and future prosperity. With most mmorpgs it takes a while for the initial stories to be pulled together into a climactic battle against the dark force (which initially brings clarity), only to reveal that there are forces behind forces........

How much of a part you play in the story will depend on you. Your development does not require it. There are also many other stories to be told by the inhabitants of Neverwinter and its surroundings. How far you delve there will depend on whether your daily objectives are to line your pockets with coin and jewels to fund your quest for fame, glory and riches or to explore your world and occasionally get lost along the way.

Luckily, those invisible pixie scribes update your Journal while you rest and you can always dip into the lore there particularly if a nasty blow to the head requires you to refresh your memory.

PS. A journey through lore, a hack n slash or the pursuit of ever shinier equipment and riches are all valid stories.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Will this thread make 4 pages before it get sent to the depths?;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's on-topic and civil. As long as it stays that way, no problem.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia