test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Research Shows that NWO = Epic WIN!

seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In this thread, I was challenged by the OP in post #6 to do my own research. In response, I have done my own, fully anecdotal research and come up with results that I feel are equally relevant to all the other statements about the success or failure of the game that I've seen on these forums.

It turns out that the game is doing incredibly well. There's a healthy player base investing in the game both financially, and in terms of Foundry creation, to the extent that PWE/Cryptic expects to produce ongoing, new content. Though some hardcore players aren't happy with Fury of the Feywild, my research has demonstrated that the majority of players consider it a welcome, casual path for end-game advancement, that replaces grinding with daily quests that mirror the leveling process.

Though my extensive polling of the player base indicates that there is some dissatisfaction with some parts of the BOP dynamics, the majority of players, though interested in voicing their opinions, accept that like all MMOs, NWO is an ongoing work in progress, and is overall a lot of fun.
Post edited by seneca671 on

Comments

• koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    seneca671 wrote: »
    In this thread, I was challenged by the OP in post #6 to do my own research. In response, I have done my own, fully anecdotal research and come up with results that I feel are equally relevant to all the other statements about the success or failure of the game that I've seen on these forums.

It turns out that the game is doing incredibly well. There's a healthy player base investing in the game both financially, and in terms of Foundry creation, to the extent that PWE/Cryptic expects to produce ongoing, new content. Though some hardcore players aren't happy with Fury of the Feywild, my research has demonstrated that the majority of players consider it a welcome, casual path for end-game advancement, that replaces grinding with daily quests that mirror the leveling process.

Though my extensive polling of the player base indicates that there is some dissatisfaction with some parts of the BOP dynamics, the majority of players, though interested in voicing their opinions, accept that like all MMOs, NWO is an ongoing work in progress, and is overall a lot of fun.

So, the devs are now hijacking accounts, and boasting about research they won't provide evidence for.... Wow. Link us to your poll, please. Show me a poll where the majority of players were satisfied. I've not seen one in the many months I've been here.
  • baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So where are your "results" or proof?

Your research (without evidence at all) that nwo = epic win

Our research (polls, months of feedback) that nwo = epic fail
  • rofehrrofehr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »

That's it.
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited August 2013
    I have a research too and i found out i'm the most handsome guy playing Neverwnter. LOL.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Okay. :D...
    edited August 2013
    I have a research too and i found out i'm the most handsome guy playing Neverwnter. LOL.

My research says I have the most potent stench of all Kobolds. Yee-haw!
    edited August 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »
    So where are your "results" or proof?

Your research (without evidence at all) that nwo = epic win

I couldn't have said it better myself. You must have 21+ Charisma.
  • seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Congratulations!
  • vaffanchtulhuvaffanchtulhu Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Let me guess, you must be one of "those" lucky players.
    edited August 2013
    Let me guess, you must be one of "those" lucky players.

Yipyipyip

My research shows that:

Lucky = Win

Other research shows that:

Kobolds = Win

Yipyipyipp wooopow!

May Bahamut have mercy on all of your souls. For great justice!
  • riftizdeadriftizdead Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2013

Troll or simply have nothing better to do ????
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

So you won some internet discussion and for that alone NWO=win ? Have you played the game lately ? lol I guess you haven't but that's ok , since half the population from open beta and off launch already left a month ago .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
    edited August 2013
    So you won some internet discussion and for that alone NWO=win ? Have you played the game lately ? lol I guess you haven't but that's ok , since half the population from open beta and off launch already left a month ago .

Your username = win.
    edited August 2013

Oh, there's no winning with some people. NWO = win for me, and I've been playing since launch. I said that all my research was anecdotal - only my experience - which puts it on par with statements like yours, i.e. "since half the population from open beta and off launch already left a month ago." It's these sort of broad, unsubstantiated statements that I'm riffing on.

The closest thing to "research" that anyone on these forums has is polls composed of the loudest, angriest segment of the population (the forums), and as somedoge indicated, it turns out that loudest, angriest segment are... angry.

There's no meaningful data to be had on the forums, but that doesn't stop people from presenting their opinions, backed up sometimes by a sampling of their friends, their guild, or pulled out of thin air, as evidence-based truth. As a minority forum opinion (I basically like the game, have spent some money but not a crazy amount, and am having a great time) I figured I'd post my own, unscientific opinion as fact.
  • evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Oh, there's no winning with some people. NWO = win for me, and I've been playing since launch. I said that all my research was anecdotal - only my experience - which puts it on par with statements like yours, i.e. "since half the population from open beta and off launch already left a month ago." It's these sort of broad, unsubstantiated statements that I'm riffing on.

The closest thing to "research" that anyone on these forums has is polls composed of the loudest, angriest segment of the population (the forums), and as somedoge indicated, it turns out that loudest, angriest segment are... angry.

There's no meaningful data to be had on the forums, but that doesn't stop people from presenting their opinions, backed up sometimes by a sampling of their friends, their guild, or pulled out of thin air, as evidence-based truth. As a minority forum opinion (I basically like the game, have spent some money but not a crazy amount, and am having a great time) I figured I'd post my own, unscientific opinion as fact.

So if you're having a blast, why are you posting on the forum instead of actually playing the game?
  • zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I think you're very wrong here. Some hidden poll with 3 voters proves nothing, look around at the forums and you'll get a better perspective.
  • bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    I think you're very wrong here. Some hidden poll with 3 voters proves nothing, look around at the forums and you'll get a better perspective.

What perspective? The perspective of a small portion of the player base that is unhappy and gathers on the forums?
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • nwntalonnwntalon Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The forums are not the place to gauge player opinions. The forums seem to be home to only those who feel they must express their displeasure in something that others may enjoy. I myself have been playing since day one of OB, and have been enjoying the game. I have not spent a penny, have two level 60's and more on the way. Just because you or your friends have decided to quit does not mean that a majority of players have. Only Cryptic can know those numbers for sure.
    Kildrak Gemviper - 60 GF
    Void Reaper - 60 CW
    Eliza Trickfoot - 60 TR
    Scarlet Maiden - 60 DC
    Timmy Orc-Bane - 60 GWF
    Ranger Jo - 20 HR
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So if you're having a blast, why are you posting on the forum instead of actually playing the game?

Gamers with jobs. Which do not block us from using the internets to makes posts about games.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • baconteabacontea Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Food for thought...
    What usually happens on patch day with a new expansion comes out? give up?
    Pretty much all the mmo's ive played usually have a que to get into the server or the download speed is slow.
    Though on the day of the expansion there was no que's at all and downloads were fast.
    And before you say "well you could download the patch prior to the expansion, well if you look around the forums, you will see that many many people couldnt download it because it kept resetting.
    Another thing youll notice is lag, from the amount of people on the server... i myself didnt experience any.
    There is no way 3 shards could support 2 million people. I also remember reading somewhere about people requesting a shard merger cause the population was low, forget which shard that was.
    From all this alone, it doesnt look very healthy.
    edited August 2013

I already did my Feywild dailies. I still have to unlock the second zone (which I guess means more dailies?). I think the forums are relentlessly, unrealistically negative and I should probably stay off them, I just can't stop myself, sometimes.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So many people completely missing the point of the OP.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited August 2013
    bacontea wrote: »
    Food for thought...
    What usually happens on patch day with a new expansion comes out? give up?
    Pretty much all the mmo's ive played usually have a que to get into the server or the download speed is slow.
    Though on the day of the expansion there was no que's at all and downloads were fast.
    And before you say "well you could download the patch prior to the expansion, well if you look around the forums, you will see that many many people couldnt download it because it kept resetting.
    Another thing youll notice is lag, from the amount of people on the server... i myself didnt experience any.
    There is no way 3 shards could support 2 million people. I also remember reading somewhere about people requesting a shard merger cause the population was low, forget which shard that was.

It's funny - if there's lag/queues, people complain, if not, they worry about the health of the game. Okay:

The "all the mmo's I've played" is still not a big enough sample to mean that much, and you quickly drop into full anecdote, your own experience only, and extrapolate it as everyone's.

The problem with this statement is that it's in no way clear that the patching issues of the forum goers is a good measure of the larger community. One % doesn't necessarily accurately reflect the other.

There is no way 3 shards could support 2 million people.

Really? Are you sure? What do you know about shard technology? You're also using a number (2 million) that is the number or users registered - there is no estimate of how many were trying to log in, that day.

I also remember reading somewhere about people requesting a shard merger cause the population was low, forget which shard that was.

Somewhere? And even if true, the evidence that the population was low is most likely anecdotal, i.e. "I can't get a group!" Well, there are all sorts of questions you'd need to ask for this to mean much, and you'd need a real sample of players.

True, but there's no evidence. That was actually kind of the point of my post - no evidence there, either.

I'm not trying to pick on you - heck, for all I know, you're right 100% and the game is in trouble! I just don't know, and neither do you.
    edited August 2013

When people use anecdotes or non-representative samples as evidence to reach conclusions, they still think those conclusions are valid: when someone else does the same thing it's "wrong." Some of the response you're seeing on this thread are people using their own non-evidence to argue with my non-evidence.

I'm actually pleased at the number of people that get it!
  • pwe4lifpwe4lif Banned Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    It's funny - if there's lag/queues, people complain, if not, they worry about the health of the game. Okay:

The "all the mmo's I've played" is still not a big enough sample to mean that much, and you quickly drop into full anecdote, your own experience only, and extrapolate it as everyone's.

The problem with this statement is that it's in no way clear that the patching issues of the forum goers is a good measure of the larger community. One % doesn't necessarily accurately reflect the other.

There is no way 3 shards could support 2 million people.

Really? Are you sure? What do you know about shard technology? You're also using a number (2 million) that is the number or users registered - there is no estimate of how many were trying to log in, that day.

I also remember reading somewhere about people requesting a shard merger cause the population was low, forget which shard that was.

Somewhere? And even if true, the evidence that the population was low is most likely anecdotal, i.e. "I can't get a group!" Well, there are all sorts of questions you'd need to ask for this to mean much, and you'd need a real sample of players.

True, but there's no evidence. That was actually kind of the point of my post - no evidence there, either.

I'm not trying to pick on you - heck, for all I know, you're right 100% and the game is in trouble! I just don't know, and neither do you.

Ive been playing MMOs since 1999, I played Everquest and basicly tried every MMO since. What i have learned is that on expansion patch days login servers are severly clogged with an influx of new/returning players and lags up the servers quite a bit. Having 2 million accounts is not really that much in a F2P game where the same person can have as many accounts as he/she wants. 3 shards is no where near enough to house 2 million individual players. The 2 million person player base is just how many accounts they have NOT the amount of people that actively play the game. If there were 2 million people actively playing this game on just 3 shards then you would not even be able to move because of the sheer amount of data being sent and received would overload them. Hell, Id be surprised if each shard could support over 50,000 people. As for the shard merger, im not sure, i dont remember anyone requesting it. I do however remember seeing many posts from people asking when it was going to happen though.
  • jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    What perspective? The perspective of a small portion of the player base that is unhappy and gathers on the forums?

I see this excuse all the time on these forums. Is it really true? Do happy players just stay completely off the forums? If so, then that would mean that all the "Feedback" PWE has been using to make changes came from unhappy players. Why are so many of the unhappy players unhappy about changes they requested.

In my opinion, the forums are comprised of players who like to check the forums to get information and stay in the know. This group of people can be happy or unhappy. Unfortunately it seems that many of them are unhappy at this time.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Yep.

There was one very important word in his post which almost everyone has missed.....
    edited August 2013
    pwe4lif wrote: »
    Ive been playing MMOs since 1999, I played Everquest and basicly tried every MMO since. What i have learned is that on expansion patch days login servers are severly clogged with an influx of new/returning players and lags up the servers quite a bit. Having 2 million accounts is not really that much in a F2P game where the same person can have as many accounts as he/she wants. 3 shards is no where near enough to house 2 million individual players. The 2 million person player base is just how many accounts they have NOT the amount of people that actively play the game. If there were 2 million people actively playing this game on just 3 shards then you would not even be able to move because of the sheer amount of data being sent and received would overload them. Hell, Id be surprised if each shard could support over 50,000 people. As for the shard merger, im not sure, i dont remember anyone requesting it. I do however remember seeing many posts from people asking when it was going to happen though.

Me, too - I started with UO, then moved to EQ (for a casual player, these games have gotten so much more fun!).

I've experienced the same clogs you have in past games. My guess is that NWO is doing pretty well - making good money, but I don't know if it will keep doing that long-term. I have some frustrations, but am having a good time and spending money. Am I the majority? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if some of the frustration is due to the gambling elements - people spend a lot of money, feel trapped into it, blame the game, and so forth. I fret that the game has too many whales who will burn out, and that they're not isolating the "best" player base (me, of course!) which is people who consistently spend money on the game, and might do so for a long time.

I have no idea, though, really - just a bunch of thoughts. As usual, it's almost always moot, because my play pattern tends to be stick around for a few months - up to a year - then move on. Then come back, then move on, and so forth.
  • conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited August 2013
    I stopped reading at "fully anecdotal research" nothing to see here, move along /thread
  • pwe4lifpwe4lif Banned Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    Me, too - I started with UO, then moved to EQ (for a casual player, these games have gotten so much more fun!).

I've experienced the same clogs you have in past games. My guess is that NWO is doing pretty well - making good money, but I don't know if it will keep doing that long-term. I have some frustrations, but am having a good time and spending money. Am I the majority? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if some of the frustration is due to the gambling elements - people spend a lot of money, feel trapped into it, blame the game, and so forth. I fret that the game has too many whales who will burn out, and that they're not isolating the "best" player base (me, of course!) which is people who consistently spend money on the game, and might do so for a long time.

I have no idea, though, really - just a bunch of thoughts. As usual, it's almost always moot, because my play pattern tends to be stick around for a few months - up to a year - then move on. Then come back, then move on, and so forth.

I have the same tendacies as i am constantly looking for a MMO that is much like classic Everquest with updated graphics. I tend to find games, play for a while, leave and come back multiple times. Hell, i've even played EQ1 in the past year to see how far its come and its nothing like it used to be =((. People that spend alot of money on the F2P model games are always going to feel trapped, because when it comes down to it your just paying for pixels and if you quit that game then you wasted however much money you spent on those pixels. Yes, i have spent about 200$ on NW during OB but i dont feel like im now obligated to be here. The people that dropped 500+ because they wanted BiS gear with full rank 10s and perfect enchants are the ones that are going to feel like idiots when they quit/the game dies out.