test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what app do you use for screenshots

rsabatino20rsabatino20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have fraps installed in my computer and today I took a couple of screen shots and made game go to desktop . what app is preferred for screenshots ?
Post edited by rsabatino20 on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I just use the in-game screenshot commands. Start typing /screenshot and you'll see several screen shot commands. You can then bind them by typing /bind <key> <command>

. . . . . For example, /bind b screenshot_ui_jpg - screenshots are saved in the Screenshots folder of your installation's Live directory. Using printscreen or third party apps will also capture any custom gamma/video card color settings, so may make your images look off-color for others.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On top of using the ingame screenshot commands, the demo record tool is great for setting up great shots. Should be some tutorials on the forums somewhere about using demo record (along with the twitch videos they have done in the past about demo record).
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    for in-game screenshots, i press the prtscn button above my insert key on my keyboard. those shots show up in the screenshot folder mentioned above.

also, the /demo_record filename will record your game action until you stop it. the company uses it for their video trailers. and you can as well... here's the link with more info on how to use it for screenshots:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?83951-Demo-Recording-AKA-how-to-make-awesome-videos-screenshots
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    for in-game screenshots, i press the prtscn button above my insert key on my keyboard. those shots show up in the screenshot folder mentioned above.

Yeah, I used to do that in STO (and games like Oblivion & Fallout 3), but then it stopped working for no reason I've been able to figure out. So for STO & NW, I use that "/bind <key> screenshot_ui_jpg" thing.
  • nallifnallif Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I just use the in-game screenshot commands. Start typing /screenshot and you'll see several screen shot commands. You can then bind them by typing /bind <key> <command>

. . . . . For example, /bind b screenshot_ui_jpg - screenshots are saved in the Screenshots folder of your installation's Live directory. Using printscreen or third party apps will also capture any custom gamma/video card color settings, so may make your images look off-color for others.

This function is too limited.

Open my bag, mouse over an item, and capture screenshot of stats? - NOPE
    Open my character screen and screenshot my items? - NOPE

Let's get back to the OP's original question, what app is (I'll change this to GOOD) for screenshots?

Capturing a video, then going through that video to make one screenshot is too time consuming.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    nallif wrote: »
    This function is too limited.

Open my bag, mouse over an item, and capture screenshot of stats? - NOPE
    Open my character screen and screenshot my items? - NOPE

Let's get back to the OP's original question, what app is (I'll change this to GOOD) for screenshots?

Capturing a video, then going through that video to make one screenshot is too time consuming.
    . . . . . Have you tried the commands? The /screenshot_ui_jpg and /screenshot_ui commands will capture UI and tool-tips. I do this quite regularly having the commands bound to a keystroke. Not sure how that is too limited, it's actually quite liberating to not have to use a third party app. As well, the other commands allow me to quickly capture screenshots showing now UI, for some really nice shots. Limited? Hardly!
    edited August 2013
    I did a little research, downloading, and installing, and found this program. I did not try any others.

http://www.picpick.org/

Works very well. While installing, be careful to Decline to install the extra software if you don't want it.

Also, I configured it not to open the editor upon starting and auto save to a file location of my choosing.
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Have you tried the commands? The /screenshot_ui_jpg and /screenshot_ui commands will capture UI and tool-tips. I do this quite regularly having the commands bound to a keystroke. Not sure how that is too limited, it's actually quite liberating to not have to use a third party app. As well, the other commands allow me to quickly capture screenshots showing now UI, for some really nice shots. Limited? Hardly!

You are correct, the / commands do capture the tooltips and character screen. I originally tested only the /bind commands, which do not.
    edited August 2013

this is good to know. when i wanted shots of my UI, i went through the much longer process of ctrl+prtscn and then ctrl+v to paste it into my editor program... crop the extra screen out... save as jpg. thanks!
    edited August 2013
    nallif wrote: »
    You are correct, the / commands do capture the tooltips and character screen. I originally tested only the /bind commands, which do not.

doesn't the /bind command bind a key to a particular command? so if you type in /bind b screenshot_ui_jpg then all you have to press is 'b' to get your user interface screenshot? the bind command itself does not screenshot.
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    doesn't the /bind command bind a key to a particular command? so if you type in /bind b screenshot_ui_jpg then all you have to press is 'b' to get your user interface screenshot? the bind command itself does not screenshot.

I typed /bind b screenshot_ui_jpg. Then, I pressed b and the game saved a screenshot. I then pressed C to see my character sheet, pressed b, and the game did not save a screenshot.
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    If you have your game tied in through Steam, you can use F12 which will screenshot to a local dir and upload to your steam pic stream as well.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • tulipvorlaxtulipvorlax Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use Greenshot because i like to be able to select a portion of the screen and not have to use gimp or any other image editor before sending them online to put link on forums and all.

EDIT : I also use RightLoad so that i can right click a file to send it to an hosting service, but i stopped using them i now i upload all my image on my own web server directly by FTP using same app.