test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Cryptic Trying to Lose Their Players?

Comments

• Options
    odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What they are doing is a form of insanity. Sure I dropped some cash in building my DC and CW, and I didn't mind as I saw it going towards something permanent. Now, why would I bother running new content with nerfed builds? Why would I bother leveling any more characters (with Zen-store purchased stones) if the whole process is now entirely un-fun? I read these patch notes and all my excitement about Feywild just vanished. Spend more money in the Zen Store? Buy the new Feywild Pack?

NO!!
  • Options
    adinosoulwoodadinosoulwood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited August 2013
    I have been hanging on by a thread. Doing my daily log ins and gateway. Waiting for the expansion. Losing interest as the days tick by wondering if it is worth it to go back to the game. Thanks for making the decision easy. Nerfing the GWF... I mean really?

It took you guys 5 months to create a LFG and trade chat? You don't even need it now the game is so empty that "all" chat is fine for both.

Just sad. Later folks.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Where does it say you have to buy keys to get into areas. Link or it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    dryfter22dryfter22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't have the slightest idea of where to post this, so posting it here. I have spent quite a bit of money, and opened about 50 nightmare lockboxes. Not a nightmare mount in any of them. I've spent my last dime on this game. Rigged is one thing, impossible is another. Thanks for all the junk Cryptic. For some reason expected better from you.
  • Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Not enchanted keys, but you do have to buy keys to get into areas. To do the entire thing, it comes to 300,000 AD, so for two characters, that's 600,000 AD, the same amount that just happens to be in the FoF boxes they're selling. Being them, though, they also added a character slot into the box, so the buyer still has to pay 300,000 AD to get that third character through it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Link where it says this or it doesn't exist. No link. No truth to this.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Cleverly, there is no "official" link to this (that I know of). Doing the content on the mimic shard is how one finds it out. I did. It is talked about extensively in the "Are you excited...?" thread. I'll link that if you like.

Edit: Here you go. I believe around page 3 or 4 is where details come out the most.

The link to at least one thread talking about it in detail.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Link where it says this or it doesn't exist. No link. No truth to this.

Just download test and see for yourself, or simply accept what those that have done so are telling you. This isn't some sort of wild conspiracy theory where forum posters are guessing about something. It is there, on test, right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    All I have seen is ONE person bring it up in the other topic. If it was true then there would be way more complaining about it on the forums which there hasn't been
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    All I have seen is ONE person bring it up in the other topic. If it was true then there would be way more complaining about it on the forums which there hasn't been

Very few people actually go to the test server.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Quoted from that topic:

You have to buy keys to open different areas of the Campaign tracker. These keys are bound to you and have nothing to do with enchanted keys. You only have to buy 3 keys (I think) and they are 10 - 50k each. It is easier to just think of the keys as the price of admission. Two keys open new quest zones and the other opens Malbog dungeon (I think it was 50k to get in there). Once you are able to go in the new area the key serves no purpose (I don't even think it is ever put in your inventory).

The new buffs added to the game also cost between 10 - 50K each and there are 5 of them. There are also tasks that will get you some new gear and they also cost 10-50k AD per task. Technically you only have to buy the keys to progress, you do not have to take any of the buffs or the gear, but if that is all you buy you will get nothing from the new area except for some of the new shards and a bunch of BOP blues that probably are not for your class. You MUST open all of the quest areas to get all of the buffs.

There are 3 areas to quest in (You have to pay the price of admission to get in two of them), and each area has a solo dungeon with a chest. You get to open one chest per day for free so chose your chest wisely. Each chest will give you a enchantment shard and a BOP blue. It will take you quite a few days to open the second area, so at first you only have one chest to open. When you get to the second area you will have access to a new chest, but you still only get one key. If you want to open any other chests it will cost you 10K AD to buy another chest key. You will have to pay this fee per key. You DO NOT have to buy the keys to open chests, they are entirely optional. MAKE SURE you want to open the chest BEFORE you go in the dungeon with a key in your inventory because you must open the chest if you have a key on you. I do not think you can leave the dungeon until you claim your reward (you may be able to go out the door you came in, I never checked).

I mentioned the AD cost for these items but there is also a gold price that has to be paid as well. I do not remember the gold cost because I didn't pay attention to them as much. Each task you perform in the Campaign tracker has a cost assigned to it. A few (VERY FEW) only require new area currencies. All the rest require AD, Gold, AND new area currency to complete them.

This content is GUARANTEED to suck almost every AD you can refine right back out of you. You can make 24K a day and it will cost you over 300k to complete it all. I do not know the total gold cost. It is not super high, but 1 Gold pretty much equals 1500 AD in player exchanges, so you do the math. NONE of the quests in the new area give you AD (refined or unrefined).

Buying the Feywild pack will give you enough AD to get 2 characters through the content. What a wonderful deal. They sell you this shiny new pack with a bunch of AD and then take them right back. Very slick. They also give you another character slot to give you a chance to go in the hole 300k. lol.

One last thing. They were very nice to the players and finally added upgrading companions to the game. Wait till you see the cost for that. LMAO. This game is not F2P anymore.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Wow. We're not lying. You can go there and see for yourself. The first time you have to cough up AD happens pretty soon after you begin it. Why would anyone lie about this? Why would random strangers back each other up in a lie? I'm sorry, it does suck, but it's still true. And, it's not just AD, but gold as well as other things that you have to pay to open them.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    use them? Like how?

You know how in that Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li movie, how Bison uses organized crime to drive down the value of real estate so he can more easily buy everything up, and create his own little empire plus resell some of the land at an inflated price for a huge profit? Well, they sort of did that with everyone's equipment, by devaluing it with a nerf so that they're forced to open up their wallets to get the AD to remove the enchantments, and buy new enchantments, which will inevitably get nerfed if they work well, so that everyone has to open up their wallets again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If they go through with this, the new area will never see me. I am not a rich man, I am a person living from paycheck to paycheck and I play to have some fun, but these changes go above on what little money I can spend in the game.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While some parts of that sound a bit unattractive..... this thread is like a masterclass in stating things in the absolute most negative way you can. :rolleyes:

edit: you know, I've never understood this whole attitude of "it costs AD? OMG, cash grab! I'm too poor to play this!" I've never seen AD as cash. Sure, you can exchange zen for it if you absolutely want to, but why would anyone do that? (Yes, I know that some people must, otherwise there'd be no zen in the exchange, but..... I still have no idea why people want to do it in the first place. Seems completely wasteful and silly, when you can just get AD in-game. /shrug)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Your post wasn't helpful. Telling people to stop speaking their minds when they have a legit complaint, or in this case, MANY, is a waste of time in itself. You aren't doing anything better than they themselves are doing, and you could have avoided your problem by simply not opening the thread. Their problems were put upon them by playing the game, and so speaking their minds about that game only makes sense.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Time. AD/Zen exchange is more or less an exchange of time/money.

You may have a lot of free time? Many of us have very little, but fairly healthy bank balances. If for instance I decided I needed to get a full set of miracle healer's armour, well...in the time since I started playing I've managed to accrue maybe 300k AD, since I just can't spare the time to play that much (that's maybe 4k a day from praying and leadership quests, and a bit here and there from selling drops). That's not gonna get me much. I do have money though, so if it mattered to me that much, I could buy zen, convert it into AD, and buy myself a supersuit (inb4 it gets nerfed, ofc).

And people who do that are much more the market cryptic is trying to cater to, since they actually drop money on the game. People who play for incredible amounts of time while not spending any money are useful to cryptic only in that they help create a thriving economy, the appearance of a busy game, and a source of AD for those that want to spend real life money on it.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Time. AD/Zen exchange is more or less an exchange of time/money.

You may have a lot of free time? Many of us have very little, but fairly healthy bank balances. If for instance I decided I needed to get a full set of miracle healer's armour, well...in the time since I started playing I've managed to accrue maybe 300k AD, since I just can't spare the time to play that much (that's maybe 4k a day from praying and leadership quests, and a bit here and there from selling drops). That's not gonna get me much. I do have money though, so if it mattered to me that much, I could buy zen, convert it into AD, and buy myself a supersuit (inb4 it gets nerfed, ofc).

And people who do that are much more the market cryptic is trying to cater to, since they actually drop money on the game. People who play for incredible amounts of time while not spending any money are useful to cryptic only in that they help create a thriving economy, the appearance of a busy game, and a source of AD for those that want to spend real life money on it.

I see nothing wrong with spending real money on equipment for an MMO. In fact, this game's future depends on players doing just that. However, there is something totally wrong about nerfing in-game equipment if people have spent real money on it. It's called Bait and Switch. You bait them into buying uber gear, then nerf the gear after enough people have bought it, and release more uber gear for them to have to buy if they want to be effective players. Even if you can get this gear for free with enough time invested, they're still robbing you of your in-game progress. I've never been a fan of nerfs. I can understand why they might be necessary, but it's still going to discourage us from paying or grinding in the future. If no one is spending money on this game, and no one has incentive to play it, it will die. The devs seem pretty short-sighted IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with spending real money on equipment for an MMO. In fact, this game's future depends on players doing just that. However, there is something totally wrong about nerfing in-game equipment if people have spent real money on it. It's called Bait and Switch. You bait them into buying uber gear, then nerf the gear after enough people have bought it, and release more uber gear for them to have to buy if they want to be effective players. Even if you can get this gear for free with enough time invested, they're still robbing you of your in-game progress. I've never been a fan of nerfs. I can understand why they might be necessary, but it's still going to discourage us from paying or grinding in the future. If no one is spending money on this game, and no one has incentive to play it, it will die. The devs seem pretty short-sighted IMO.

Great point, I am with you, I am not against spending money in game for armors and weapons, but do not bait and switch, that is wrong, it is immoral, it is dishonest and it is a robbery. It is like going to Best Buy to buy a brand new PC and I give you an older model wrapped in a nice new model box.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is typical Cryptic.

Put out something with minimal content, then try to squeeze people to 'justify' every little bit of development that comes thereafter, abandoning anything people don't swarm over mindlessly as 'not viable.'

See: Champions Online (and Vibora Bay controversy), Star Trek: Online.

Cryptic just doesn't get that you need to create great morale and a thriving game and let the synergistic benefit get people to happily toss money at them.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ^ Didn't I just say all of this in another post? Only.. less volatile. Eh, it's just one big carousel of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mind you, I WILL say that Cryptic handles STO far better than the other games. The f2p system has been really well managed, and while it took them a very long time to expand on spotty content... they HAVE. KDF are finally a full faction, and Romulans offer a lot of cool stuff (it's not a faction, however they want to spin it, but it's something... else, and there's a good amount of stuff to it).

So... part of my frustration is that Cryptic HAS managed to do a decent job, once. I just wish they'd apply some of those same principles to either of the other games.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kingblood69kingblood69 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "Pay to win" ....not "Pay to whine"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i do not believe it is getting worse for many reasons:

think about it --> the game is harbored with people using game's economy for gold farming , ad farming and transferring them to zen farming then selling them for real money this is not accepted

in addition like it or not --> the community (players) are abusive and exploit we have to admit it and rather than being fun to play game it became experience in exploiting to play

my only concern is only the gold income for people to do more dungeon runs since pots and kits cost money and for pub parties that may have inconsistent players trying to get their T2 gear it is gonna be hard and community is not nice to them

other than that for rogues since my main is a rogue --> i am happy to the power nerfs to duelist flurry it is gonna put the strength tr half orc to be on equal charts with other races if not for the fact that community keeps exploiting the game in no# calculations and developers keep fixing it (which is a normal procedure in any good mmo)

no offense but the thread poster is just moaning about fixing exploits with all respect fixing classes and balancing it out is what keeps players not makes players stop playing game.

if it only shows anything you only mentioning hammer of fate the DC's daily , that is a DC's daily but where in the world in MMO's was there a healer class that is supposed to be DPS other than here - if not for a fact having high ac is great contribution to MMO in creating new type of healers

be analytic

this patch is a great way for making people do pub parties and run more CN for mediocre profits not people selling a pair of weapon from 1 month ago like 7 million ad then after 1 month goes to be 700k ad ya it is understandable more people doing dungeons --> for zen buyers that is too much no offense but from one month that is like $70 and now $7 the economy is being monopolized rather than being controlled some may say it is getting cheaper well more people getting to play and remember how many times lately in zone chat you have seen people selling currency for real money if not for they did farm 2 to 4 times CN and kicking party members to have CN gear and sell them - this salvage system gonna stop the madness among players for making profit and gonna provide equal opportunities

but think about it - this is D&D and not supposed to be easy - if i farm on my main 60 rogue and sell T2 swash gear and CN weapons i could easily gear other classes and not bother doing dungeons anymore.

that is killing huge part of game content and learning better builds that the class could have not being just robotic android that follows community builds

and as for companions, services and other complementary stuff we need the devs mentioned their prices gonna be reduced understanding that ad income is limited to 24k per character so what? it is gonna be little bit longer i don't see a problem

i am really excited about this patch ---> it is game on cryptic and gonna clear the tasks and challenges

this patch is protecting many zen buyers in my opinion and reviving game content to new players

so old players do not expect new content when it is us (community) who skipped every content by exploiting

it is mmo people and struggling is part of it --> if you don't like it go play super mario or go fishing
  • Options
    oreninorenin Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really hate the rouge changes. At the moment, the only viable attack skills to have for a rogue are
    sly flourish and cloud of steel, and both are getting nerfed down. Duelists strike makes you stand still for 5 seconds while its casting, definitely not something you want to be doing as a rogue, or any other class for that matter. Gloaming cut has a pretty long attack animation and does not do enough damage for it to be worth it. It will do as a replacement for sly flourish since its being buffed, but it won't feel as fluid.

As for clouds of steel, its getting its max dagger count nerfed to 8. with 12 it already ran out pretty fast. If there was a long engagement you couldnt continue using it effectively, but it was a better choice than any other skill, because you could continue attacking from afar after you rolled away.

After this patch there will be no good at-will abilities for trickster rogues except gloaming cut, which is supposed to be used as an execute. It really looks to me like there is a 1 person balance team and he decided to nerf the hell out of every class he wasn't playing. I know other classes got nerfed as well, and it may not seem like trickster rogues got nerfed much in contrast, but not having any good at-will abilities is really going to make the class feel pretty useless.

I get that they want people to be using the higher level abilities, but they need to design better abilities if they want that to happen, not nerf the only useful abilities the class has to try and make the others viable options.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    My 2 level 60 toons (TR and GFW) are going to retire, move to Florida and become crafters and sell their junk in the flea market. So time to start leveling my CW, oh wait it got nerfed too, do we have any class left? Oh my.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »

i seriously doubt that game developers had little to do with any "bait and switch" or that this was intentional. anyone that is familiar with MMOs know that there are always balance changes between between classes. they are also familiar with the TOS and EULA which states that the company can make whatever changes they want to without notifying you of anything. that being said, there's also that saying that if something is too good to be true, then it probably is?

when your specific key-combo insta-kill with your overpowered gear advantage suddenly changes and you actually have to work for your kill... then it probably means your character had an unfair advantage over other characters.

and you don't really have to spend real money to gear up quickly. you just have to grind instead of sitting in protector's enclave opening nightmare lockboxes.

you know this is probably part of the reason they decided to make all of the bind on pickup changes they've made... they want less gear in the auction house and more gear flowing through the salvager. thus in order to get gear, you have to grind. you have to earn it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i seriously doubt that game developers had little to do with any "bait and switch" or that this was intentional. anyone that is familiar with MMOs know that there are always balance changes between between classes. they are also familiar with the TOS and EULA which states that the company can make whatever changes they want to without notifying you of anything. that being said, there's also that saying that if something is too good to be true, then it probably is?

when your specific key-combo insta-kill with your overpowered gear advantage suddenly changes and you actually have to work for your kill... then it probably means your character had an unfair advantage over other characters.

and you don't really have to spend real money to gear up quickly. you just have to grind instead of sitting in protector's enclave opening nightmare lockboxes.

you know this is probably part of the reason they decided to make all of the bind on pickup changes they've made... they want less gear in the auction house and more gear flowing through the salvager. thus in order to get gear, you have to grind. you have to earn it.

I am going to bookmark your post so when the patch is release and you see what people are complaining about, I can remind you we told you so.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

Ah, so making you waste money is bad, but it's ok: you could've wasted TIME instead! (yay?)

-_-

Mostly it's just that they've shown a tendency to nerf fairly liberally, and not always in any sensible fashion, meaning there's essentially no way of knowing if your "great build" is actually great and will remain so, or is actually "OMG SO OP NERF INCOMING", so....why should anyone invest time and effort in anything at this point?
This discussion has been closed.