test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Makes me feel lame not having an epic mount or companion

jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I feel so out of place using my crappy brown horse and my useless level 15 cleric, while everyone has sexy naga lady or epic fire horse and spider

I wish there was a way to get that kind of stuff without relying on expensive AD, lock box or zen market

when i am level 60 i know people gonna laugh at me for only having the brown horse and the cleric companion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• Options
    xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I feel your pain - I signed up for a month at IGN Prime to get the Green (lvl 20) tiefling cleric. She lasts 1.5 secs longer and gives you an extra heal! Joking side, was worth it I feel. Still have my 5g horse, feel like I should be in the slow lane as I'm always getting run over by spiders!
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm always confused when people talk about being too poor or having a hard time finding money in this game.

I was able to gear up my GWF to 12k GS very soon after hitting level 60. Didn't take me long to buy a Heavy Worg through AD to Zen Exchange. Soon after that expense, I funded my GF's level 60 gear, placing her at 10.5k GS(Tactician feats, not Conq) instantly after hitting level 60. My GWF now has 13.1k GS, while my GF has 11k.

This is all from pugs. I didn't join a guild until very recently.
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Save save save... even having a 500 zen horse from the store will make you feel better for the visual appearance and its not too hard to get to..
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The only times you're going to wish you had a faster mount at level 60 are in PvP (Domination and GG) and maybe quick runs of Aberrant Assault skirmish when the AD bonus is up. No one is laughing at you for not having a shiny horse.
  • Options
    gefjongefjon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The one thing I really wish I could get is the 'flaming bird' thingy.

The other thing I wish is that we could choose the appearance and maybe the gender of the Companions we are given.

One of my characters has the Cleric (which looks quite good), but another has the Wizard (which is male and is a dark-skinned Elf (not Drow though, as iirc they have white hair and his is dark). I wish he looked like the Elven Disciple girl, which looks a lot better.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well look at it this way where everyone else has the EXACT same outfit/mount/pet you will looks totally unique! I have the spider and i actually keep my green pets out more than my panther cause a lot of the time they are more useful. Phoeras are accually cheaper to get now than a hawk. cause people have driven the prices down so bad.

you ca also get blue alchemy stuff for a steal thanks to the snake girl who IMHO is ugly. They are going to add i companion traiing scrolls. ad probibly many more pets and mounts as time goes on. You can get a flying sword pet from glory, save up ardent coins for an angel, or do foundry stuff for the foundry stone.

Or you can always get the 65$ elf pack that comes with a way cooler pet than the north set. but you know everyone will have them too. Im sure in time you will get your purples(or train up your greens with scrolls) But dont feel shame for not being in a rush.
  • Options
    symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited August 2013
    I was stood outside the mount vendor on wednesday.
    Buying people a horse (about 10 ppl).

But yeah, some people are just happy to get a mount lol, it seems so long ago horses were 2g, i don't think many people have 5g at lvl 20.
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . You can sell your Astral Diamonds for Zen on the Astral Diamond Exchange and then in turn use that Zen to buy whatever you desire from the Zen Store. One never needs to pay any RL money for anything, if you're willing to save up and part with your Astral Diamonds for this. Although, I do admit, that can be a rough decision when taking into account just how many things cost Astral Diamonds (and how much of them) in the game.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    My advise: If you buy nothing else buy a Tier 3 Mount. Even if you have to save Astral Diamonds.

It's the only thing I don't think I could live without. ;)
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    when i am level 60 i know people gonna laugh at me for only having the brown horse and the cleric companion

Uh? Why? I used to have both for quite some time, didn't feel "lame" at all. You don't need all these expensive toys to play the game. Some of the best pvp players i know still have the free horse. Of course it helps a lot. I would have trouble playing pvp without a purple horse myself. But it's not mandatory. There are also countless people with the common cleric companion. The fact is that the vast majority of the players still have the 5g mount and a free pet. You don't need to waste diamonds on that. Sure, it looks cool, but a free palomino and a free cleric look cool too.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I might just be mental but I like my brown 5g horse it does the job and its free , thats a win in my books. End of the day I have more monies for rum :D
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    T3s are useful for PvP and just faster in general obviously even when moving around PE, but in this game with its very linear zones, mounts don't generally add the same value as they do in an open-world game. They're useful, for certain, but the way that the zones are set up, the speed increase is only marginally useful between a regular mount and a T3. If you PvP, you'll want a T3 given that PvP in this game is node domination, where speed is critical.

The only other "must have" items beyond the vanilla ones, I think, are the augment companions, especially at level 60.
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I feel so out of place using my crappy brown horse and my useless level 15 cleric, while everyone has sexy naga lady or epic fire horse and spider

I wish there was a way to get that kind of stuff without relying on expensive AD, lock box or zen market

I've got 9 level 60s and 8 of them have standard 5g mount. The other one doesn't have a mount. Why would you care what other people think? Not that other people care what mount you have. Even those people that it matters to are too busy reveling in how awesome they are to notice that you even exist much less which mount you have.

Also most pets aren't of much use, and the ones which are and add stats are only really required to compensate for player ability.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Buy your happiness.
    Thats how world turns.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I feel you completely misunderstand what people think when they see players with mounts or pets.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speak for most people, but I do so with confidence that this is accurate. Most people, honestly, don't give a second thought to it. What someone has for a pet or mount generally means NOTHING to most people. And the one time they do care. Its not in the manner that you might expect.

When they do care about someones pet or mount, its simply because said pet or mount is blocking a vendor or simply in the way. And those folks would like it gone. No out of jealously or envy. But simply out of convenience.
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What sockmunkey said, except the Elitists. They'll only accept u in a team if u have a stone or a cat. Those ppl are silly...
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2013
    Get a T3 mount (epic), dont bother with the lower ones. Get it from the Zen store, since once you have bought it, it's unlocked and free for all your alts.
  • Options
    bongstickbongstick Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2013
    Making money in the game now is much harder. No more exploits, prices deflated alot on t2 (especially on Beholder). I remember making a couple mil every week in the first 2 months of this game. Got 6 mil rotting now since i don't really play anymore.

Now i am waiting for this cute woman to buy her stuff on Beholder, but no one wants to go out with me because i am so ugly :(
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it seems so long ago horses were 2g, i don't think many people have 5g at lvl 20.

Which is why they give you three 5-hr mount rental tokens in the lv20 Adventurer box. So that you can try the mounts out until you get 5g (or save up AD/decide to spend zen).
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I got a T3 mount just by scrimping and saving ADs from invoking, selling items on the AH, grinding leadership tasks, and by selling the preservation or coalescent wards I got from the 7-day celestial coin box. It takes time, but it is definitely doable. If you are diligent and keep your eye on the goal, you will get that T3 mount. Now, in my case I sent for the 2500Z T3 horse... it'll cost you more if you want one of the others...

Before that, once I got my 1st character to 60, I simply used them to buy the 5G mounts and companions for my alts.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Im a lvl 60 DC fully geared and i have a pale horse lol Mounts in neverwinter are only good for PvP and... well to look cool :)

For me is not top priority atm, i rather spend my AD to test some transmutes and dyes and find the look im looking for ;)
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    T3s are useful for PvP and just faster in general obviously even when moving around PE, but in this game with its very linear zones, mounts don't generally add the same value as they do in an open-world game.

The mounts in this game definitely aren't need as much as they are in Atlantica Online(massive continents), but they are still a huge boost while leveling characters.

A T3 mount makes leveling a new character less of pain on a few different levels.
    -You get to objectives faster, letting you complete the quests faster.
    -You're fast enough to outrun any monster. No worries about an annoying enemy following you everywhere.
    -It takes 5 hits to knock you off, something that can only be done by 6 ranged mobs and/or DoT mobs.

This means you spend a lot less time fighting mobs that noticed you, something that normally adds a lot of extra time to leveling.
  • Options
    ind1go99ind1go99 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Seriously? I take it as a point of pride that I'm level 60 and still using my 2g horse and free (and only) tank companion. And they're far from useless. I would be ashamed to be seen on a nightmare, not only because it looks awful but because it also means that you've been suckered by the lockbox lottery. I am genuinely surprised that people find things like that to be cool and desirable, but I am equally genuinely grateful that they do.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ind1go99 wrote: »
    I would be ashamed to be seen on a nightmare, not only because it looks awful but because it also means that you've been suckered by the lockbox lottery. I am genuinely surprised that people find things like that to be cool and desirable, but I am equally genuinely grateful that they do.

The items from the "lockbox lottery" are not BOP. So if you see someone on one that doesn't mean they were suckered by it. Last time I looked there was plenty on the AH to just straight up buy with AD. Still not as good a deal as buying a Zen mount, but some people prefer the flaming horse look.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    vikingbradvikingbrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I went for the 1500 T2 Mount as its only 1500 Zen. At around ~350 zen/AD thats 525K certainly doable.
    (There are 1800 T2 mounts but the 1500 is just as fast)

I paid as wanted to give something to Devs for such a great game. (was pretty hard to pay but thats another story)

T2 mount is fine if you aren't into P2P and just want the speed boost and don't need the flashy mounts.
    Ricky Gervatheist Lvl 60 DC on Dragon Server
    Looking for a guild for PvE Dungeons to suit AEST evenings
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Instead of saving for a T3 mount, I got a T2. Sure he's not as fast a Warhorse as the T3 one, but if anything any new characters I create will have access to it when they hit the proper level.

Now I'm saving for the T3 Warhorse (I'm not fond of the more expensive fancy mounts such as the Tigers and Bears... and I bet they'll eventually come out with Lions too). Well... right after I get a Bear companion for my Cleric.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*