test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lvl 60 and I can't see the point anymore

drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It's been a week or two now. I've finished the Whispering Caverns, farmed some AD to get a few purples, played some PvP and now I have become disenchanted. I'm hoping someone can give me some reasons to carry on.

So I realize it's not D&D. Fine. What is it then? PvE is terrible. Each new location is just a different looking version of the previous one. Even the quests are the same with only cosmetic changes. Kill some leaders, gather some things, move deeper into the zone and repeat. The dungeons follow the same pattern; they're essentially indistinguishable.

Combat has become really repetitive - the monster AI is certainly artificial, if not intelligent. Groups of creatures hang around for no apparent reason and don't react to a fight just a short distance away. I play a CW and each fight is the same because they always react in the same way. To be fair with only 5 spells + a daily, variety is going to be hard to find.

The roleplaying is even worse. I played text adventures as a kid on 32k machines that had more sophisticated interaction. The world never changes when I do something - the Blacklake District is still overrun by Nashers, the same NPCs are doing the same thing.

So the fantasy side is bad, the combat is boring. What am I missing? People have forked out serious money if the forums are to be believed. Why?

I don't mind pay to play - I already pay annual subscriptions to a couple of other online games. Pay to Win isn't my thing, but not for the reason it irritates most people. The reason I don't like it is that it renders crafting pointless and dungeon pickups meaningless. It's taken me forever to get to level 13 in tailoring and lvl 14 in leadership. I still haven't got to the point where I can make something better than the stuff I bought in the AH for a few thousand AD. A couple of skirmishes and PvP domination matches and bingo, Controller's Elegant Pants (they're a bit tight mind you).

The AH is full of Purple. It looks like I have been wasting my time in dungeons. I picked up my first shard today and that somehow brought home the futility of it all. Running the same (boring) dungeons over and over to get a few shards that can be bought on the AH for a few hundred AD??

Bah, that sounds really grumpy and whiny, which wasn't my intention. I'm sure I'll still log on every now and again and play the odd skirmish or PvP, but I miss the fun I had as a lvl 10 :(
Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
Post edited by drscone on

Comments

• arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You could even do what I do and make another character of a different class and race. I find that a solution to continue playing the game. I went ahead and bought 4 extra character slots for only $10.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • vindemandenvindemanden Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I kinda feel the same. It doesnt look like there's something real to go for. I went to clear Castle Never Epic 4 man as a bunch of first timers and now what?

I do actually like the game, but i miss some competitive side both in PvE and specially PvP.

Does the development team have special things in mind for the future? Well i don't know, i've tried to search, but so far i haven't found anything, it might be there, but it definitely aint easy to reach.

I think there's things incoming, but i would love to know it as well!
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    drscone wrote: »
    It's been a week or two now. I've finished the Whispering Caverns, farmed some AD to get a few purples, played some PvP and now I have become disenchanted. I'm hoping someone can give me some reasons to carry on.

So I realize it's not D&D. Fine. What is it then? PvE is terrible. Each new location is just a different looking version of the previous one. Even the quests are the same with only cosmetic changes. Kill some leaders, gather some things, move deeper into the zone and repeat. The dungeons follow the same pattern; they're essentially indistinguishable.

Combat has become really repetitive - the monster AI is certainly artificial, if not intelligent. Groups of creatures hang around for no apparent reason and don't react to a fight just a short distance away. I play a CW and each fight is the same because they always react in the same way. To be fair with only 5 spells + a daily, variety is going to be hard to find.

The roleplaying is even worse. I played text adventures as a kid on 32k machines that had more sophisticated interaction. The world never changes when I do something - the Blacklake District is still overrun by Nashers, the same NPCs are doing the same thing.

So the fantasy side is bad, the combat is boring. What am I missing? People have forked out serious money if the forums are to be believed. Why?

I don't mind pay to play - I already pay annual subscriptions to a couple of other online games. Pay to Win isn't my thing, but not for the reason it irritates most people. The reason I don't like it is that it renders crafting pointless and dungeon pickups meaningless. It's taken me forever to get to level 13 in tailoring and lvl 14 in leadership. I still haven't got to the point where I can make something better than the stuff I bought in the AH for a few thousand AD. A couple of skirmishes and PvP domination matches and bingo, Controller's Elegant Pants (they're a bit tight mind you).

The AH is full of Purple. It looks like I have been wasting my time in dungeons. I picked up my first shard today and that somehow brought home the futility of it all. Running the same (boring) dungeons over and over to get a few shards that can be bought on the AH for a few hundred AD??

Bah, that sounds really grumpy and whiny, which wasn't my intention. I'm sure I'll still log on every now and again and play the odd skirmish or PvP, but I miss the fun I had as a lvl 10 :(

If you want to have the same fun again just reroll a new class , other than this if you can't find a reason to play anymore too bad can't help you .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm on my second class as it happens. The first was a GWF. He's currently around 30ish, in Helm's Hold. Maybe I'll have another go with him. It's a shame that leveling up is so fast. The earlier stuff definitely seems to have had more thought put into it - Plague Tower and Clockwork Tomb were pretty fun.

I may be missing the whole point of the game though, having read this thread : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?408031-Drop-Rate-on-the-new-healer-is-a-joke

Anyway, thanks for the replies folks.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It's plenty D&D, to me. Plenty Forgotten Realms and Neverwinter, specifically.
    I was reading the FR Campaign setting this weekend and then was pleasantly surprised a couple days later to recognize the lore behind fighting Vansi in the Cloak Tower. Also, enjoying the lore of the Battle for Gauntlgrym. Best way to upgrade my gear.
    And... and... having fun with old and new guildies.

Considering all the farming I'm doing, I think I like that we don't have phasing yet.
    I can wait for an expansion to see areas change significantly based on my actions.
    Some NPCs do recognize completed quests, so that's good enough for now.
    In general, doesn't matter much since we're mostly moving on to other areas and there's no in story reason to return to a lower level area.

And I'm looking forward to the new stories and content in the Feywild in the next couple weeks.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Actually, it is a form of D&D, that harkens back to the simplicity of earlier editions with some elements similar to the later editions. The claims it is not D&D are mostly from those that seem unfamiliar with the changing state of the game over time.

The other things are familiar fantasy tropes, actually some ways similar to the old module series. Start small, encounter your way up with periodically more challenging encounters, all leading up to the finale of that module, to begin the process all again in the next of the series, until you have the final encounter in the last module. I find the PvE to be more enjoyable than in some MMOs.
    Yes, this could be better, especially the groups of things randomly hanging around. Then again, that's not all that different from the older adventure modules in a lot of ways. In room A3 you find a group of angry kobolds. In room A4, you find a group of angry goblins. In room A5, you find a group of angry...
    You can't role-play with NPCs, so I'm guessing you mean the canned dialogue and story. The game is pretty much on rails and is as theme park as you can get, so there really isn't much that can be expected here. I haven't played a lot of MMOs where the world actually changes in response to player actions. That would be more likely in a sandbox type MMO I think, which there aren't to many of these days.
    I think they did alright with the story, with some being better than others. If I want good story, I'd be more inclined to look for it in a book. I enjoy the combat, in comparison to some other MMOs I played. What you might be missing is that some others will have different tastes than you so find more merit in the game than you do.
    Perhaps subscription games are simply more to your taste.
    I don't let what's in the Auction House bother me. I focus on my enjoyment, and not on what is going on around me.
    It's not grumpy or whiny. It's just a list of your feelings about the game. About the only thing I can say that might inspire you to continue is that the next update is introducing some new systems you may find of interest. Perhaps this style of game simply isn't for you, and you'd be better off finding something more suited to your tastes and desires.
    edited July 2013
    Well, I started playing D&D Basic, 30 years ago :D And have played every edition except 4.0, which might be part of the problem. Thanks for your considered reply riqita. I am getting the feeling that I haven't missed anything and it may be, as you say, that it just isn't my thing.

Like I said, I will drop by every now and again. Fun has been had :)
  • thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    Have you tried doing the Foundry quests? There seems to be a lot of interesting quests although a lot of real bad ones too. My first character, a GWF, has been on level 60 for a couple of weeks now but I still keep doing dungeons a lot. I'm trying to get the ancient weapon set and other than that I just help guild mates and try to find loot to sell. I started a CW but got somewhat bored while leveling and just today fell in love with the DC. Having a good guild saves you from a lot of headache because doing dungeons is a lot more tolerable and people actually listen to each others. There you also learn about other classes and start to see the big picture. Now that I've taken a look at the CW and DC I find more motivation because I can understand better what the others are doing.
  • xenzanxenzan Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Tell it to fanboys here. They all like it how it is. This only encourages game companies and developers do it more and more in this same way: no new ideas, no improvements, nothing like old games was way back, when any other of them was something new, fresh and exciting.

I always wonder lately how low has fallen standards for games today and how gladly people chew it up. Just do big hype and you can even sell half backed product!
    And when I think about it, I found that it is only thanx to us, gamers, that things with games are what they are now, because we allow it to happen with our purses and acceptance.
  • thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    xenzan wrote: »
    Tell it to fanboys here. They all like it how it is. This only encourages game companies and developers do it more and more in this same way: no new ideas, no improvements, nothing like old games was way back, when any other of them was something new, fresh and exciting.

I always wonder lately how low has fallen standards for games today and how gladly people chew it up. Just do big hype and you can even sell half backed product!
    And when I think about it, I found that it is only thanx to us, gamers, that things with games are what they are now, because we allow it to happen with our purses and acceptance.
    Quoted for truth. But if no one even tries to do games as awesome as the old ones, what can we do? Just quit playing everything?
    halolz-dot-com-fpsmapdesign-1993-2010-doom.gif
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    All I do is Foundry quests pretty much. Not because there is nothing else I enjoy, but simply because I enjoy the Foundry quests the most. There are literally so many and they cover all genres, it's a real Aladdin's Cave of quests.

I'm quite happy to just kick back at L60 and not have to worry about AD, gear-score, competing.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There was a time in mmo gaming, when I had a hard time deciding what to do when I logged on. There were so many choices and so many things to do. Now gaming is trying to find something interesting to do from a small list of things you have already done 100 times before.

It's just the way it is.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter is the first MMO in 15 years with anything interesting to do after hitting max.
    Plus two modules in 6 months... for free.
    Better track record than pnp D&D, even.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Neverwinter is the first MMO in 15 years with anything interesting to do after hitting max.

Hmmm. ok is this sarcasm?
  • creedgamingcreedgaming Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    People who find this game enjoyable from a hardcore gamers standpoint have never played the old MMO's like Ultima Online , maybe they just all started playing MMO's when WoW came out and there used to the same repetitiveness?
  • apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    You could even do what I do and make another character of a different class and race. I find that a solution to continue playing the game. I went ahead and bought 4 extra character slots for only $10.
    And then what? I have 5 level 60's...all different classes and races and almost all in full purple (minus shirt/pants on some (as I've settled for 55 blues for them) and a couple accessories here and there). The op is right. There is NOTHING else to do once you get to level 60 other than rinse-repeat the same dungeons over and over again...but why do that? Most of those items can easily be obtained by working the AH.

PVP is flat with only a couple maps and a single type of mode.

I started playing at the end of April....I reached 60 on my 5th toon 3 weeks ago. That's a mere 2.5 months! 5 characters in 2.5 months reaching level 60? And I'm not hardcore player.

Anyway, hitting 60 for the 5th time, I've been playing other games because there is just nothing to do. I have "beaten" Neverwinter. I've reached the end. There's nothing left.

Content is 1 month away...ok great. If there's a new class, I'll level that guy up. But without level increases...why bother playing the other toons again? More AD or gold? Why? For what purpose? Just to get slightly better gear on the AH? OK...that's fine...but WHY do that?

It'd be one thing if there was a substantial amount of content or if there were raids, or if there was world pvp with achievements or if there was a pvp system that was just meeting the bare STANDARDS of mmo gaming...but NW just doesn't have that.

NW looks pretty, it has great UI (IMO), and it hooks you early (which is where ALL the reviews come from...early level playing). But in the later levels...the game dies....and hard. There's just NOTHING to do.
  • apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    ...I hope you had some typos in that post.

If not...then WHAT is there to do that is interesting after hitting max and getting geared in all purples? Getting a different set of purples?
  • devlinnedevlinne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, speaking for me and mine. If/when a good mmorpg with OPEN WORLD PVP comes out......cya later alligator^^
    PITY,REGRET, AND MERCY are just EXCUSES for the strong not to kill the weak!
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately, I have to agree.
    • 2 pvp mini games with identical objective...bad
    • Dungeons with identical boss mechanics....bad
    • Pointless crafting....bad
    • Unorganized/poorly executed foundry functions...bad
    • No new classes/paragon paths....bad

The only thing that was keeping me playing was the foundry, but bad customer service and slow updates have took all the wind out of my sails. PWE only cares about cash shop companions.

Its too bad, this game had great potential.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
    edited July 2013
    People who find this game enjoyable from a hardcore gamers standpoint have never played the old MMO's like Ultima Online , maybe they just all started playing MMO's when WoW came out and there used to the same repetitiveness?
    Clearly Neverwinter isn't targeted primarily at hardcore gamers.
    I've played the major MMOs from UO on.
    None of them had fun endgames.

What is there to do after gearing myself in purples?
    Helping my guild-mates gear up and play GG.
    Soloing dungeons and reviewing the details of the lore.
    Playing with the Foundry.
    And... Feywild should hit Preview within a couple weeks.
  • jawarisinjawarisin Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Ah well, when I come back from a dungeon with an item, it's usually worth 800k ad. I guess that's the difference between your "just hit 60" and someone who's played the game to the end uh? Getting lvl 13-14 in proffession literraly takes 2-3 days depending. Even less if you use the gateway. "Purple" stuff isn't all the same, why dont you look it up a little instead of classifing something all the same because of color.

Of course, since you need 256 shards to make a perfect...
    CW Renegade comprehensive build+guide PvP:
    Here for the build+guide
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This must be your first MMO.
    edited July 2013
    jawarisin wrote: »
    Ah well, when I come back from a dungeon with an item, it's usually worth 800k ad. I guess that's the difference between your "just hit 60" and someone who's played the game to the end uh? Getting lvl 13-14 in proffession literraly takes 2-3 days depending. Even less if you use the gateway. "Purple" stuff isn't all the same, why dont you look it up a little instead of classifing something all the same because of color.

Of course, since you need 256 shards to make a perfect...

And quite a few coalescent wards too. I am aware of the various T1 and T2 gear sets available for CWs. I'm just not that excited about doing the same dungeons over and over and over to get them. When I have got 2 or 3 full sets, then what do I do with them? End up like all the other CWs with a High Vizier set and an SW set as backup I guess.

The UI is really nice and combat flows well, but I've run out of content... I have tried a few Foundry Quests and it's fair to say that they're mixed :D Some are very good. Others are awful, even the highly rated ones.

For now I guess I'll just play a bit less.

This must be your first MMO.

It is, yes. I don't think Diablo II counts :) Friends of mine that do play MMORPGs (Skyrim and DIII I think) have described them as Auction House trading games with some fantasy themed team combat thrown on the side.
  • neyph69neyph69 Banned Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    devlinne wrote: »
    Well, speaking for me and mine. If/when a good mmorpg with OPEN WORLD PVP comes out......cya later alligator^^

http://www.archeage.com/en

This is what you will be playing if thats what you want. I sure as hell will be there as soon as it goes beta.

Also, before someone says that posting other games is against RoC and this gets locked, dont really care =)
    edited July 2013
    It is, yes. I don't think Diablo II counts :) Friends of mine that do play MMORPGs (Skyrim and DIII I think) have described them as Auction House trading games with some fantasy themed team combat thrown on the side.

Skyrim and DIII are not MMOs.
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I invoke, do professions and log off. Rinse and repeat as required. It's a shame as the game had so much promise, but seems to be veering down the road to obsolescence. Emphasis seems to be on shiny trinkets in the Zen store, not repairing the cluster of exploits, bugs and imbalance which plague the game.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • zaodonnzaodonn Member Posts: 109
    edited July 2013
    Why do people who play MMORPGs continually make posts like this on message boards.

NEWS FLASH: When you play the same video game (ANY VIDEO GAME) to its end over and over, you will find it boring to KEEP PLAYING IT. MMORPGs are *NOT* exempt from this fact. Its just that often, new content delays the inevitable.
    edited July 2013
    zaodonn wrote: »
    Why do people who play MMORPGs continually make posts like this on message boards.

NEWS FLASH: When you play the same video game (ANY VIDEO GAME) to its end over and over, you will find it boring to KEEP PLAYING IT. MMORPGs are *NOT* exempt from this fact. Its just that often, new content delays the inevitable.

you dont see posts like this on many other REAL MMO forums. Thats because it takes more then 1 week in 90% of MMOs to get to end game, then another couple of months(if your lucky enough on drops) to get BiS gear. By the time you do that the next expansion is out and you start doing that. While, in Neverwinter anyway, it takes less then a week to get to 60 and about another week to get your BiS gear. On top of that there is no talk of upgraded content or actual expansions with lvl cap increases or anything, in fact they have allready stated in interviews that there is currently absolutely no raid content even in development at all. That makes for a very stale game after just a few weeks of playtime. Yeah, theres foundry quests but what is the reward for doing them? You get at best a green item to merchant for a gold or 2. Again, it has nothing to do with playing the game over and over again thats making people bored, its the complete lack of content that this game offers.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

People will kill me for this - play TSW. :P
    Make us an exciting foundry quest so we all flock to the foundry server and overload it :)
    Wait August 22 for some content. Mostly daily quests, daily solo missions and a whole (ofc very memorable) new dungeon.
    Look at the market and find some other game to play with. Just to compare, you know.
    Maybe you will like it more there.

P.S. All MMOs end-up gear grinds. Some MMOs have more end-game, some less.
    WoW now has 4 difficulties of raiding, changes to PVP (again)
    Rift is F2P and have those beautiful dynamice events I adore.
    Just browse and see for yourself.
  • roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    I've been at level 60 for about three weeks now. I still log in eagerly each night that I am able. The Foundry is there waiting with a slew of new and varied quests, or even campaigns, for me to adventure through. To me, this is pure genius on the part of Cryptic and the talented player authors who contribute!