test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why i put my credit card away.

tripztertripzter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So i started playing Neverwinter few months back. I must say it was pretty cool at first since it was something new. Then i started hearing the "pay to win" on zone chat. I figured theres some mounts etc that are purchased with zen, no big deal so i continued playing till level 30ish. That's when it became evident to me that i needed bag space. So i looked for bags. Definitely didnt have enough astral diamonds to purchase any bags from the AH so i looked at the prices of the items you purchase with zen. Obviously at first glance the prices didnt mean much to me until i found out the conversion rate of dollars to zen. 10 bucks for a single bag? 50 bucks for a mount? 30 bucks for a companion? This is just coding folks. You arent working hard for replicate a mount so why charge 50 bucks for one? To be exact you arent working at all after the initial coding is done. The game it self does the transaction. That said prices in the zen shop are outrageous.

Take a look at the competitors such as wow, guild wars, and tera. You can spend 50 bucks and buy out half the game while in here you get 1 piece of code. Of course wow doesnt have a zen store however it does sell mounts and companions for money... that cost 9 bucks and are available on every single one of your characters.

I know you guys are out to make money however dont take my arm and a leg in the process.

That said i'll keep my money in my pocket.
Post edited by tripzter on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I tend to be a packrat. The limited inventory space, (never forget to get the free 18 and 12 slot bags from quests), has forced me to think differently, and I think in a better way, in the long run.

Also, you can get everything you want *eventually* - grind leadership tasks on you characters, participate in skirmish and delve events, and sell whatever you don't want or need on the AH.

I got 6 additional character slots, a T3 mount, a few keys, and several profession packs that way. Yeah - it took me over a month to get most of it, but I feel it was worth it. You need only spend money if you want something *now*.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I tend to be a packrat. The limited inventory space, (never forget to get the free 18 and 12 slot bags from quests), has forced me to think differently, and I think in a better way, in the long run.

Also, you can get everything you want *eventually* - grind leadership tasks on you characters, participate in skirmish and delve events, and sell whatever you don't want or need on the AH.

I got 6 additional character slots, a T3 mount, a few keys, and several profession packs that way. Yeah - it took me over a month to get most of it, but I feel it was worth it. You need only spend money if you want something *now*.

Not jumping on you Bioshrike, but people play games to be entertained and have fun, not grind, and not farm. Some may like that that type of game interaction, the vast majority does not. You have Gamers, and then you have grinding, farming Gamers. The developers know full well what they are doing and the current drop in both this games population, which is also commensurate with the current forum views, really shows how disgusted most consumers are with current management and what they see as "The game is fine and our goals have been met".
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

True you can get everything eventually , the point is eventually means more often than not "the day that I retire".
    I remember when I was playing WoW : I wanted this swords for my character, I wanted it really and I did everything to get it. Guess what? When I got it, I had outlevelled it to uselessness, I had already another sword that was three times better....
    Here is the same, when you eventually grind what you want you realize that, in the meanwhile, something better and that you like more is on the market. That is the reason that most players want to have something now while the fun to have it last, not tomorrow when that same thing is ripe for the waste bin
  • Options
    kelletonkelleton Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tripzter wrote: »
    10 bucks for a single bag? 50 bucks for a mount? 30 bucks for a companion? That said prices in the zen shop are outrageous.

Take a look at the competitors such as wow, guild wars, and tera. You can spend 50 bucks and buy out half the game while in here you get 1 piece of code.

10 bucks for a bag isn't a big deal imo that equates out to 350k AD which is nothing.

the mounts work on all your charecters although I still think 50 bucks is a tad high - 10-20 in my opinion would be a good price.

You cant compare wow to this - wow you pay a subscription and pay for the game - you don't here. So far ive bought 2 bags and 4 profession packs while alchemy event was live and a few keys. Ive been playing a month and that's still cheaper than buying a $60 box. If you don't want to spend money don't - just work toward your items instead using AD.

I choose to support this game though even though it is buggy (god please fix this) it is a great game and the current flaws (bugs) can only be fixed by them having resources to throw at this game (money - which comes from zen shop)
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    <i posted this in another similar thread but it seems more appropriate in this thread>

lets do some math to deck out a character

4,000 - bags (initial bag is 30 slots anyway so you don't need 5)
    3,000 - 3,500 for a decent companion
    3,000 - for the mount (and let's not try to fool ourselves here it does give a huge advantage in PvP)
    300 - if its your first time playing that class (because lets face it hardly anybody gets their powers/feats/stats the way they want them on their first try)

Wow that adds up to $108+ usd...for 1 character (minus the mount)
    i already went and bought 6 extra character slots and you want me to pay $70 per extra character to deck them out i might try at $30 until then, no thanks i think i'll just buy a new xbox game and every dlc that comes out for it too.

thanks for making this game free though it had a lot of potential (aside from the fact you locked classes out of any kind of D&D customization cant believe you have the balls to call this a D&D game but thats for a different thread)
    21.jpg
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Flipping the switch and giving you some bag space doesn't take much effort from the devs. It might be a little extra information to store on their servers, but not much. But this is not why it costs money.

In FTP games, it's not like it doesn't cost the company to host for the players who don't pay anything. Everybody can play for free because the company makes enough money from the optional purchases to cover everyone. So things like slot unlocks are going to cost more than the dev effort behind them, because they're holding up the bulk of unpaid gaming. It's just how this system works. Even when you put your money away, somebody else who doesn't mind 10 bucks for inventory space keeps the game going so you can enjoy it.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    possum440 wrote: »
    Not jumping on you Bioshrike, but people play games to be entertained and have fun, not grind, and not farm. Some may like that that type of game interaction, the vast majority does not.

To be honest, NW is all about farming, it's the only way to produce the gear you need in order to play and have a chance. If you don't like farming, or can't, you'll need to get out your wallet.

I reckon the whole endgame is about running around in ultimate ubergear, either looking pretty in dungeons or facerolling everything with it in pvp.

And if that's the case, the devs are right on target.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    possum440 wrote: »
    Not jumping on you Bioshrike, but people play games to be entertained and have fun, not grind, and not farm. Some may like that that type of game interaction, the vast majority does not. You have Gamers, and then you have grinding, farming Gamers. The developers know full well what they are doing and the current drop in both this games population, which is also commensurate with the current forum views, really shows how disgusted most consumers are with current management and what they see as "The game is fine and our goals have been met".

I understand what you're saying, but when I say "grind" I mean just staying on top of tasks. I set up my 6 or 8 hour leadership tasks, then go to work or bed. I log in maybe once a day, (twice or more if I'm off), to invoke and set up new tasks. Those tasks take no more than 5-15 minutes, if that. I actually play the game at my own pace - in fact, I tend to like getting into a dungeon delve team when there is only like 5 mins remaining, because then they don't feel this need to rush.

But taking your point, if you want to drop some cash to get a good head start, here's how I'd spend it:

$25 - tier 3 horse - this unlocks for all your chaarcters, so it becomes a better value w/ all the slots.
    $5 - 2 extra character slot
    $6 - 2 x profession packs - if you don't plan on crafting, any green or higher non-leadership assets you get can be sold on the AH for a good amount.
    $4 - 400 zen to convert into AD, (about 139K ADs at a rate of 1Z:348AD).

That adds up to $40, and will give you a great head start in the game. Now for me, I like playing alts, so I made 1 of each character. If nothing else, simply creating a character for each slot gives you w/e their basic inventory is for storage, (30 slots IIRC), plus an additional 30 once you get the 2 free bags. This, IMO, is a much better use of money than buying a bag. Plus, if you get them to level 10 or so, you can start a profession and invoking. That means that through leadership and invocation, you'll get free ADs coming in. If you get a dragon egg in one of your profession packs, well that's just the cherry to the whole thing. You can buy a wererat thief or blue skeletal dog on the AH for about 50K ADs last I checked, and the 2G ones are good enough to get you by for most of PvE.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Take a look at the competitors such as wow

I am pretty sure in world of warcraft you have to pay just for the privilege of playing, while in Neverwinter you can get everything for in game without paying a dime.

Do you want to know how much I paid for my epic tier 3 mount in neverwinter, on all 4 of my characters? 1.2 mil AD.

People can cry all they want about how the game is pay to win, but those that do are totally ignorant of the truth.
  • Options
    dexymandexyman Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is just coding folks. You arent working hard for replicate a mount so why charge 50 bucks for one? To be exact you arent working at all after the initial coding is done. The game it self does the transaction.

you have absolutley no idea about game development or design.....its extremely labour intensive that requires highly trained individuals normally with bachelor or master degrees ranging from modelling artists, animators, texture artists through to programmers....just to name but a few. the software and hardware alone will be a multi-million dollar investment.
    The point is a huge amount of capital investment goes into developing a game before you get the opportunity to whinge about it. so you don't want to put your bucks into the game, thats fine you don't have to...but that hardly warrants a qq thread based on a lack of knowledge...oh and FYI yes i do know what i'm talking about i did a masters degree in 3d animation.
  • Options
    dootudootu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    I am pretty sure in world of warcraft you have to pay just for the privilege of playing, while in Neverwinter you can get everything for in game without paying a dime.

Do you want to know how much I paid for my epic tier 3 mount in neverwinter, on all 4 of my characters? 1.2 mil AD.

People can cry all they want about how the game is pay to win, but those that do are totally ignorant of the truth.

Rift.

Blows this game apart, gathers the pieces up with a 100,000 Watt vacuum cleaner, sticks them into a particle accelerator and fires the pieces into the Sun, which vaporizes them.

Stable on release, polished on release. Strangely there was hardly any agro in forums on release also.

Gone F2P (Just like WOW btw).
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dootu wrote: »
    Rift.

Blows this game apart, gathers the pieces up with a 100,000 Watt vacuum cleaner, sticks them into a particle accelerator and fires the pieces into the Sun, which vaporizes them.

Stable on release, polished on release. Strangely there was hardly any agro in forums on release also.

Then why are you still here and not off playing that fabulous WoW-knockoff?
  • Options
    sareksarek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is nothing compared to the Warsoul weapons in Perfect World. 20k$ a pop (yes k, not just $). Well at least back when i was playing PW actively, the rough amount of money needed to craft one was 20.000$. (for 1 single item.)

They got cheaper when the Mysterious Chips were put in the cash shop with the Rank 9 gear (yes really).
    By the time I left there were upgraded versions of the warsoul weapons with better stats (finaly) and 3 star rank 9 gear.

For these reasons and more, as sad as it is for me to say it, PWI is broken. :(
    I played from launch too :(

Still NW is quite fun, I just hope it stays that way for a nice long time.
    IGN: SomebodyCB
    Class: Slayer
    Level: 35
    Guild: None
    Server: Atlantis_1
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    if u want a big zen discount, u have 2wait for 24hour Christmas sale, till then..........................
  • Options
    yosen82yosen82 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I personally enjoyed the game at the beginning, spend some $ on it too. Not much as I'm not rich, and it should be free to play anyway.

But this game, or Rift, or any other MMO, are just a time killers for me personally. I'm waiting for hopefully really GREAT game that is supposed to be released in 2 months!

GTA 5! <<< This. That game will kill all those time killers that most of us play now. After GTA5 is released, I'm happily gone from here :)

What about you guys?
  • Options
    dootudootu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    Then why are you still here and not off playing that fabulous WoW-knockoff?

I loved my old 1988 V6 Holden Commodore Utility, but I don't want to go buy it back and drive it around again. Sometimes you have to move on to hopefully better things.

As for this game, I basically don't play it, apart from a quick DD and log whenever I'm bored.

Definition of WoW-knockoff: Any MMO that has ever come out after the release of WOW, notwithstanding that WoW "knocked-off" many ideas from MMO's that came out before WoW did. We shall not talk about that or the WoW creationists will be up in arms.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Keep in mind that for WoW you have to buy the software as well. If you want to play all of the content in WoW, you need the license keys for the various expansions, and so right off the bat, even if you only play for a month, you're giving Blizzard more money than what you are talking about for bags and mounts here. If you subscribe to WoW for a few months, it's even more money. Because an FTP game is not getting any money up front nor any money monthly, they have to provide some incentives for some people to spend money in the store.

Generally, the complaint usually is "if they priced it lower, more would buy", but if you look at the economics of freemium games, this isn't generally the case. The overwhelming majority of players of freemium games either buy nothing (one of their main motives in playing is because it is free) or some very small amount. On the other hand, there is a small group of "whales" who spend quite a bit of money because they really like the game. So the "dance" of designing a FTP game from the economics point of view is making the base game fun enough to play for most people who don't want to spend anything such that there are enough people playing and the atmosphere is engaging enough to convince the small number of whales to spend money in the store. Because the number of whales is small in any freemium game, the prices are set at levels that seem, to non-whales, to be pricey.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    1. Ioun Stone is enough for a companion 20 bucks. BUT if you make Foundry Quests and receive Moonagent title - you get a purple Stone for free! Read on how in some of the forum posts.
    2. Bag 10 bucks - it is a must but you can survive with $6 one. Barely.
    3. Assets - 60-70k AD for a blue asset. 16-17k for green. Level 3 green asset is enough.
    4. Wards - you get green or blue every 7 days. Blue cost 100k a pop.
    5. Gear - you can buy off AH for Zen->AD and is the best thing to spend Zen->AD.
    6. Mount - get a cheap 5 gold mount, gather 100 Ardents to get a green one. Or save moneyz for a $25 mount if you want to look kewl.

The rest is useless.
  • Options
    quoiskyquoisky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, don't say I never told you so -.o
    Just keep checking other PW forums and see the pattern on "pay-to-win". You'll quickly find that even these guys in here trying to lick NW's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by stating all it's greatness, will soon come on forums and start changing their tune because some fix or some item got derped!

Either way, the truth is here. Posts after posts of players getting tired of endgame! Worst thing is, we just barely started live. Just a few handfull of players will hold on because they got "lucky" accounts and can open a nightmare box or two and get that horse! I'm sorry, but when you go past the 100th box and still can't get a nighmare horse, there's an issue! (this happened with me...270+ boxes and counting!) No qq, just pure <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!

The prices in the Zen market are there for suckers! No one pulled you by the arm. But if your all dumb enough to pay it, I'm sure the devs are rolling in it and laughing their arses off as we speak! Again, +1 to the devs whom outsmarted the kids with mom and dads credit cards!
    But this isn't the only game pulling that stunt, just check out the other forums and see the paper trail angered players only realizing they over spent but come in forums to attempt to justify it somehow... Why even bother?

Bottom line is, everyone and their dog is level 60. So now what? Well, until NW comes up with pretty much a whole entire game that drags the players on for another month, you can pretty well call it quits! 250+ players in the clan I'm in tells the tale! Maybe 10-20 members online daily if that. Most below 60. All 60 have gone MIA! Surprised? That pretty much ends this topic and for me well, this game.

T'ill next MAJOR improvement, bye bye NW.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Definition of WoW-knockoff: Any MMO that has ever come out after the release of WOW, notwithstanding that WoW "knocked-off" many ideas from MMO's that came out before WoW did. We shall not talk about that or the WoW creationists will be up in arms.

When you can show a screenshot of a game and I can't tell it isn't WoW at a quick glance, it's a WoW knockoff. Rift is yet another one of those games that do absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from WoW. It looks nearly identical, from the graphics style all the way down to the UI. Its gameplay seems to be **** near identical. It's pretty amusing how quick you are to defend this game and slag me off like I don't have two eyes and a working braincell.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rift.

You should learn how to do basic, elementary school level research if you think WoW is free to play beyond a trial basis. If your knowledge about Rift is equally limited, then I feel very sorry for your guild.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I very much empathize with the OP. It is a shame that so many of the people who have come newly to this game truly believe that they owe PWE something, that they should dole out money for a terrible product. Just because your options are bad doesn't mean you have to choose a bad option.

One hears the endless cry, “if you don't pay you don't get to gripe” but that's just silly. I don't owe them anything and neither do you. PWE is the one that wants me to play their games, Cryptic is the one that said I should come play it for free. They should not have said that if they didn't mean it. In some circles that is called lying but that isn't really the point.

If PWE and Cryptic want my money they will have to earn it. Unlike the flock, I did not show up to be sheared. And earning it isn't that hard, I just want a comparable experience to other games at the very least. At the bare minimum I expect to be as entertained and feel as engaged with the experience as other games (which I can't mention due to the RoC). But instead I get a slew of bugs and exploits, the laziest code I have ever seen, the travesty of player crafted chat bans, cash grabs, dead end mechanics, unbalanced play, unstable engines, psychological con-artistry, and much more.

In case you aren't keeping score so far, that's not earning it.

Very much like the OP I will be keeping my money and reserving my pity for those poor souls who fell prey to the hype (and are still falling prey to it). There are many other people in life who will be parting them from their money.

I will be comparing this game to the next one. Is this the way games will be produced from here on out? Will future game be soft launched one quarter complete, replete with exploits and scheming to get cash for nothing? Time will tell. But in all truth, this game has lowered the bar significantly. The next game doesn't have to do much to win and if it gives me even a passable experience, that is certainly where my money will be going.

Lest I get too negative though, I will cede that this game is much, much better than Solitaire. But the margin is narrowing.
  • Options
    feiergiantfeiergiant Member Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This game is Pay2Try2Win.
    There's no realistic chance of anyone beating me.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    There is nothing in this game you have to spend money on.

If you decide to spend RL cash you still have a free game at start, so you have $50-60 that you can spend on upgrades before having spent more than you do on just buying GW2 or another game. Bags are also not a must have, I dont think my bags have filled up except when I forgot to sell. Mounts are account wide, companions are optional.

I bought characterslots at start, and for a respec here and there. But now when I'm used to the game it's easy to get what you need through ADs.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The word of the day is subjective. Also your truth may not be my truth.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    imo bagspace isnt a problem at all, every new char has 16 Bankslots and 30 inventory slots and every free account has 2 charslots
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This is nothing compared to the Warsoul weapons in Perfect World. 20k$ a pop (yes k, not just $). Well at least back when i was playing PW actively, the rough amount of money needed to craft one was 20.000$. (for 1 single item.)

I like this example cause Virtual items go for 10's of thousands of USD. I was playing Diablo 3 before this and still love the Real money AH there. A single item in that game went for 14,000 bucks. The best of the best will always sell high but lets look at the facts no one needs that.

This game isn't pay 2 win and will never be its just pay for convenience. I bought 2 bags. I bought some keys I like 2 gamble but you can make tons of AD in this game. I have gotten 3 heavy inferno nitemares. 3 from opening boxes. I kept 1 and sold the other 2 for over 1mil AD. Just like that. Its easy to farm and sell enchants and items nothing and I mean nothing on the cash shop is needed to play this game. I love to farm which is how I make my AD and I bought bags to start but lets look at it this way every game is about a 60buck investment to buy it. I bought 2 bags for 20bucks so I can farm my heart out. I saved money still. This game will never be pay 2 win and that phrase gets way over used.

I am curious what are these Warsoul weapons I want one... Hmmmmm 20k huh. need to get one and sell it.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    In my opinion a fully stocked fashion shop would be a more profitable plan than enchants which must be upgraded with a 1% success chance without special zen items. That is where this game becomes "p2w". Sure you can buy them off the AH.. Someone else paid so you can win, you just paid with your time to acquire them from that person.

If there was a slew of different cool looking outfits on the zen shop.. Well customization is king in the land of online gaming.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    alaerick wrote: »
    In my opinion a fully stocked fashion shop would be a more profitable plan than enchants which must be upgraded with a 1% success chance without special zen items. That is where this game becomes "p2w". Sure you can buy them off the AH..

those come from the 7 celest coin pack too though