test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cat or stone?

valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Library
Simple question which should I choose for a cw?
Post edited by valetudo78 on

Comments

• honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It doesn't matter. Their base stats are tiny and will pale in comparison to the gear you put on them. If you like little kitties, get a cat. If you like a floater stone thingy, get a stone.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Cat is better. Stone gives you power, crit and recovery (173 with 22 CHA), cat - only crit and recovery (238 with 22 CHA). Cat has a belt slot, where you can place blue belt 143 crit and 243 arp.
  • mortmagemortmage Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Cat provides lvl 25 stats of
    234 Crit
    234 Recovery

The Ioun Stone of Allure provides lvl 25 stats of
    168 Power
    168 Crit
    169 Recovery

So the Stone provides 37 more points overall than the Cat.

The only other difference is that the Cat provides a belt slot and the Stone provides an Icon slot.

The choice tends to come down to whether you need more total points in stats like Power, Crit, ArP, and Recovery or more of a specific stat like ArP. If you need more total points and can hit your overall stat targets with gear and enchants, the Stone is usually the right choice. If you need help on specific stats like ArP, you can get a blue belt for the Cat that has 243 ArP and 133 Crit or you can get a blue Icon for the Stone that has 288 ArP, but nothing else.

One other thing to note is that the Cat can die if it falls off a cliff or into a spike trap. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. The Stone never dies.
  • jackero0jackero0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They are pretty much equal as their real benefit comes from equiped runestons and items. You just slot your pet with what you need most.

So, there is no need for a pet that boosts only crit and ArP (cat). Just use the right combination of rings/neck/belt and enchants to get the stats you want.
  • threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2013
    One other thing to note is that the stone is a good 200-300k AD cheaper (depends on exchange prices).
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It doesn't matter. Their base stats are tiny and will pale in comparison to the gear you put on them. If you like little kitties, get a cat. If you like a floater stone thingy, get a stone.

This ^^^^^
  • jaeldynjaeldyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually the main difference is that cat can equip a belt while the stone can equip an icon, making the cat better overall since belts tends to have better offensive stats, especially the famous blue belts !
  • kalithiankalithian Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think people are forgetting one very important thought. Cat can die in combat, stone can not die. You may say 'but my cat never dies', Im pretty sure it does, or comes close during boss fights, which is really where you need and want those extra stats. I would say Stone simply because it doesnt die. I dont have to worry about loosing over 1900 stats mid battle with the stone.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    For near 70 CN runs and countless T2 runs my cat died only 3 or 4 times. On trash.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stat-wise, I think Cat is most efficient for most classes due to either ArP or defensive or some Recovery builds, mainly due to the Waist slot.

However, if you are literally BiS in everything, including rank 8+ enchants, then such efficiency is pointless, the little bit of extra Power from Stone is welcome, and the risk of Cat dying becomes an annoying concern. Of course, if you are that geared and therefore that rich, you could afford to have BOTH if you wanted! This scenario does not apply to most players.

So, overall, if you can literally afford the choice between Cat and Stone, i.e. have enough AD to get either, I'd get Cat.

If you do only have enough AD for Ioun Stone of Allure, I'd get Stone. Having any augment class pet is far more useful than trying to save up and waste more time training it up, unless you already have an existing augment class pet to fall back on.
  • jackshiznitjackshiznit Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For 200k AD you can keep your meow meow and I can balance my stats elsewhere. Stone looks better, has better overall stats, and never dies Neither is coming to PvP, so the ArP is irrelevant. If you're still trying to kill stuff with a CW in PvE or PvP, you're doing it wrong. I also take the icon over the belt any day, making it cheaper again.
    edited July 2013
    Ok. Acquire 2530 arp without 9-10 rank dark enchantments with stone. And where better stats on stone? 165 power? It's a drop in a sea.
  • ohman1336ohman1336 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    Ok. Acquire 2530 arp without 9-10 rank dark enchantments with stone. And where better stats on stone? 165 power? It's a drop in a sea.

why are you so obsessed with getting 2530 ArP from companion only? Is there something wrong with enchanting your own gear with ArP? I don't see the problem here
    edited July 2013
    Ok, 2530 ArP.
    Ancient excorcist neck 154 ArP + 7 rank 185
    Ancient slavemaster ring 0 ArP + 7 rank 185 ArP
    Ancient fugitive belt 154 ArP
    Shirt + Pants - 154 ArP +7 rank 185 ArP in shirt
    MH + OH - 185*2 ArP
    925 ArP from ench and 462 from gear. 1387 ArP total. If with 10 rank stones it will be 1962. Where will you get rest?
  • ohman1336ohman1336 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    Ok, 2530 ArP.
    Ancient excorcist neck 154 ArP + 7 rank 185
    Ancient slavemaster ring 0 ArP + 7 rank 185 ArP
    Ancient fugitive belt 154 ArP
    Shirt + Pants - 154 ArP +7 rank 185 ArP in shirt
    MH + OH - 185*2 ArP
    925 ArP from ench and 462 from gear. 1387 ArP total. If with 10 rank stones it will be 1962. Where will you get rest?
    You understood me wrong, i rather gear my stone primarly for ArP but at the same time not sacrificing other stats for ArP, if I dont reach ArP cap with stone only, big deal? I simply enchant my gear with ArP instead
  • malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, to rely solely on ArP from a pet is foolish at best. Given Cryptic's track record, you'll never know until it's too late if they change DR tables or reduce the effectiveness of stat gains from companions without saying anything about it in the patch notes.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • khalibuskhalibus Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    Not to mention if you have all your Arp on your pet, then you don't have it when you PvP. I know not everyone cares about that but I do.
    edited July 2013
    You won't have much arp from gear. Better take tene ench for every slot free from arp ench.
  • khalibuskhalibus Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    Right now my PvP set is my PvE set. What you say is true, but while teneb is great in PvP, it's not as great PvE. ArP is good in both. One day when I'm rich ill have separate gear sets for each and you're right, ill have Tenebs in my PvP set and for my PvE set it won't matter if my arpen is on gear or companion. But for now it matters.
    edited July 2013
    Tene has no cap or diminishing. Other stats exept power has.
  • joyvinjoyvin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cat has a belt slot, where you can place blue belt 133 crit and 243 arp.

In Neck slot u can also put this stats.
    signature.jpg
    edited July 2013
    joyvin wrote: »
    In Neck slot u can also put this stats.

Cat has Neck and Ring too. You cannot find those stats on Cleric's Icon which is what Stone has as 3rd slot.

Since that third slot on Stone is specific to a class, it is also unlikely to scale as well with future content because it risks giving too much stats to a specific class plus will always have a lower variety of stats.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    LOL who would have guessed that an irrelevant choice would generate 3+ pages of posts?! :P
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    LOL who would have guessed that an irrelevant choice would generate 3+ pages of posts?! :P

One may then argue that it is indeed relevant.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'm sure new players or players who finally came into some diamonds will wonder about this for weeks to come (or until they release a better companion).

I would just suggest getting the Stone which is around 200,000 diamonds cheaper and does not die.
    edited August 2013
    Same for cat... it doesn't die too.
    edited August 2013

Cat does die, especially to aoe from elites. Just because it is relatively infrequent is not the same as "not die" or "never".

On my DC, my Cat dies about once every 10-15 days in dungeons. Not enough to inconvenience but enough to always surprise you when it does, haha!

The Stone is not flawless either. I have not noticed any pattern, but on my CW on two occasions over several months it has occasionally not given stats to me so that I had to re-summon it for the stats to take effect.

I would say both those flaws are about equally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

So, it really does boil down to either Waist slot vs Cleric offhand or just looks.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Yes, it does.

You really shouldn't post unless you are certain as you might confuse new players.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    So, it really does boil down to either Waist slot vs Cleric offhand or just looks.

Price is a factor too for a lot of people. And the Stone is considerably cheaper.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

[insert faceplam here]