test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proper way to handle PVP bots

Comments

• alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    How about a seperate Spawn Chamber for PvP? You know.. one that the combatants appear in. After death, you appear in there and must solve that puzzle to get out. If you can't solve it in time or the player decides to AFK in there, they get kicked from the match and are replaced by other players waiting in line to get in. :)

lol.. creative!
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    How about...take the rewards out of PvP altogether. Guaranteed no bot environment when all you get to do is gloat and teabag when you win.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    How about...take the rewards out of PvP altogether. Guaranteed no bot environment when all you get to do is gloat and teabag when you win.

Would have to include XP because people still afk level this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
  • eazydzzzeazydzzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited July 2013
    Wish they would at least try something.

I like the OP's idea, and I don't think it would be as easy for a bot to circumvent as some are making it seem.

Again, it would be nice to try something...anything, and let us know that they are working on a solution.

The complete silence on this issue is disturbing.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The puzzle thing is interesting. but why not simply allow us to vote kick party members? Then just identify the bot, vote for kick and we're done.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The puzzle thing is interesting. but why not simply allow us to vote kick party members? Then just identify the bot, vote for kick and we're done.

That sort of thing can be abused. Maybe the botter and his bots can do the same thing to legitimate players?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • nolifekrippariannolifekripparian Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    The best way to solve the problem is to give the possibility to the players to report them by clicking an icon,if they get a lot of reports the mods check the player behaviour and if its obvious that its a bot they permaban him, if this operation is fast enough creating new accounts for new bots would become inefficient
  • pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Make some separation by gear score, lower than 6k etc. that would be obviously a bot.

Create another pvp, without any rewards or the daily quest, instead give us rankings and scoreboards. People are not joining for the PvP, only for the daily quest or the glory, and yet they complain.
    edited July 2013
    pelkast wrote: »
    Make some separation by gear score, lower than 6k etc. that would be obviously a bot.

Create another pvp, without any rewards or the daily quest, instead give us rankings and scoreboards. People are not joining for the PvP, only for the daily quest or the glory, and yet they complain.

I also wish there was gear score tiers for pvp.. but it wouldn't solve the bot issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Change PvP spawn points to be completely enclosed rooms with a teleporter. Upon interacting w/ the teleporter, you are presented with a simple puzzle like the OP described. When you answer correctly, you are then teleported into the match area. You can only gain XP/Glory/rewards once in the actual combat arena, and must be in there for more than a certain % of the overall match length. Just hanging out in the pre-fight spawn point won't garner you any rewards.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Easy way to stop botting, do not let trading between online players, only let them sale items to game vendors, and letting those items to be sold by those same vendors so price gouging would not work based on the amount of items sold the price would go up or down. The items and gold you have is yours only and tied to your account this means no trading if more than one account as well.
    This would make it very hard to sale anything and of course they could level a toon and collect gold but would have to sale the whole account. (a way around this would be to link to an email address and the account could not be sold as is linked to the email account and only one account) Now putting all this in to play would be very annoying and could cause other issues, the simplest way would to not let trading or selling of anything in or out of game including accounts. This may sound heavy handed at first but I for one think would be great.
    edited July 2013
    Easy way to stop botting, do not let trading between online players, only let them sale items to game vendors, and letting those items to be sold by those same vendors so price gouging would not work based on the amount of items sold the price would go up or down. The items and gold you have is yours only and tied to your account this means no trading if more than one account as well.
    This would make it very hard to sale anything and of course they could level a toon and collect gold but would have to sale the whole account. (a way around this would be to link to an email address and the account could not be sold as is linked to the email account and only one account) Now putting all this in to play would be very annoying and could cause other issues, the simplest way would to not let trading or selling of anything in or out of game including accounts. This may sound heavy handed at first but I for one think would be great.

I don't think this is a good idea.. Trading items between players is an integral part of the online gaming experience. It may not be perfect but it would hurt the game overall rather than fix the problem. The problem could be fixed with a simple puzzle. Why ruin it for everyone else? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Change PvP spawn points to be completely enclosed rooms with a teleporter. Upon interacting w/ the teleporter, you are presented with a simple puzzle like the OP described. When you answer correctly, you are then teleported into the match area. You can only gain XP/Glory/rewards once in the actual combat arena, and must be in there for more than a certain % of the overall match length. Just hanging out in the pre-fight spawn point won't garner you any rewards.
    hehe.. as long as it was simple I suppose it couldn't hurt ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Imagine people solving puzzles during the intense PVP match.
    - Mate, when are you coming? We are getting fried!
    - Wait! I can't solve that freaking puzzle. One attempt left!

But puzzles might be a good solution :)
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    alaerick wrote: »
    Put a UI option that must be clicked with the mouse in an ever changing location on the screen like a code or a puzzle. Each time a person queues for a PvP round and it pops the code must be entered. It can be something simple, 4 digits, or a phrase. If the box is always moving to a new location and the order of the numbers / letters in different tile locations bots will fail to enter pvp rounds. Problem solved. No other silly solutions required.

Example: Code word - PVPFTW

Example Random Config 1:
    |P|X|W|
    |V|P|T|
    |X|F|X|

Example Random Config 2:
    |X|F|P|
    |T|X|V|
    |W|P|X|

etc.. by clicking the correct code you are entered in to the round. The wrong entry will rearrange the letters to a new random configuration and give the person a second chance to enter it correctly. Two failures and it cancels your queue and forces you to start over. Mind you in my example there's two P's which provides a problem unless either counts as either spot but I figured it would suffice.

Example code #2: 123456789

|4|2|7|
    |1|6|9|
    |3|5|8|

etc..

Problem solved.

-The End-

A bot can destroy this test easily... The best bot test is image recognition.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    How about a seperate Spawn Chamber for PvP? You know.. one that the combatants appear in. After death, you appear in there and must solve that puzzle to get out. If you can't solve it in time or the player decides to AFK in there, they get kicked from the match and are replaced by other players waiting in line to get in. :)

I think this is really good idea, say you have 5-10 doors to go through and these symbols and doors can be if different locations each spawn, each has a number or symbol and some text describing the symbol or image, and you have to go through that door to re-spawn, go through the wrong door and your account is flagged and you go back to the spawn point, get 1 or more flags you don't get any rewards, get 2 or more flags and your account can be ear marked, get 10 more in a short period of time a GM can check your character out.

Like it KUDOS idea......
  • griz024griz024 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Something needs to be done quickly.

Pvp while lvling is almost all bots. Matches are decided by which team has more/****ter bots.

Sad to say it, but i am happy we can leave pvp with no penalty. I would have quit this game if it wasnt for rhe ability to gtfo of bot infested games.
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »

This is so false it hurts. Bots in their current state can't even beat Captcha images on forums. This is a step up from that. Thanks for playing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alaerick wrote: »
    This is so false it hurts. Bots in their current state can't even beat Captcha images on forums. This is a step up from that. Thanks for playing!

That seems true enough. This is probably why they have cheap labor to solve them. From what I've read on Wikipedia, they could use large numbers of unwitting people to solve the puzzle, then send out the bots once it's done.

Again, according to the article this may not save the goldsellers money though... they have to hire actual people who they do have to pay (though they're paid far less than minimum wage).
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This would annoy the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of me.
  • thatasianbradahthatasianbradah Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How about you're not allowed to leave the spawn camp without a mount? Cuz everybody that's not a bot ends up using a mount in end game pvp to some extent especially after respawns to leave the camp. It's a simple idea, but it just might work. If anything, bot developers can make their bots ride mounts making them at least more viable as "team mates" and "opponents"
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »

I don't think the OP intended for the puzzle to use real text - it would be a stylized image, similar to a CAPCHA or w/e it's called.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What do bots do in PvP? I just ran a few PvP matches. In two of the matches my team had only 3 or 4 people and were completely dominated by the other team. In both of those matches I got exactly 300 points (for grabbing the first node) and nothing else as we were completely destroyed by the other team. My reward was absolutely nothing (I should point out that I am level 60 though so experience was not even a possibility). Unless the PvP bots are scripted to fight what is the point of botting? I got no reward of any kind and I actually played the whole match (though toward the end of each of those matches all of my team that was left was simply pacing around our spawn point since we could not move more than a few feet without being killed). What kind of reward does a bot get unless it actually fights?
  • merlin420idmerlin420id Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's an idea.........

In my experience, bots usually end up with something like 2 kills and 18 deaths. But never, ever, ever, even against a well put together and geared team, have I had 3x as many deaths as I've had kills/assists. So what if say no experience or glory were awarded to a person who has 3x or even 4x as many deaths as they have kills. That sounds like the most easy thing in the world to me.

And as far as the OP, I think it's a good idea too, but I agree, it would be a day or two max before we were once again inundated with bots.
  • merlin420idmerlin420id Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This would be a good idea, but they'd probably make it 3 votes to kick which would mean you'd need to have 3 people you knew weren't bots before you que'd. If ya got in a match with 3 bots, yer done.
    edited July 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    IP bans aren't terribly difficult to bypass.

Also there is an issue with this. If that IP is recycled in the future, and a completely different person tried to play NW under that IP address, they will be banned.

Same applies to MAC address bans.

Yes, this is very true. I was once banned from a game I had never downloaded or played ever. Went to download the free two week trial to find that my IP addy had been banned.
  • killakobrakingkillakobraking Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's an idea.........

In my experience, bots usually end up with something like 2 kills and 18 deaths. But never, ever, ever, even against a well put together and geared team, have I had 3x as many deaths as I've had kills/assists. So what if say no experience or glory were awarded to a person who has 3x or even 4x as many deaths as they have kills. That sounds like the most easy thing in the world to me.

And as far as the OP, I think it's a good idea too, but I agree, it would be a day or two max before we were once again inundated with bots.

What about the Clerics? We don't get many kills and get owned once astral shield stops. I think a cache before you click join group for PvP would work... maybe
    edited July 2013
    What about the Clerics? We don't get many kills and get owned once astral shield stops. I think a cache before you click join group for PvP would work... maybe
    Yeah that's one of the reasons I suggested what I did. It doesn't penalize players only bots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
  • pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A ban button, may work. Unless there are more bots than humans in play. It will also require some responsibility from the players.
    edited July 2013
    pprandom wrote: »
    A ban button, may work. Unless there are more bots than humans in play. It will also require some responsibility from the players.
    Too easily abused unfortunately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-