What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Grimah's Comprehensive Wizard guide

Comments

• Options
    vincentrdragonvincentrdragon Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?337592-((T2))-Thaumaturge-Spec-Powers-Role/page64&highlight=nethreldras%27

nethreldras has done some testing and is posted on copticones guide. there are a lot of pages in that post. but this link brings you to the heart of nethreldras tests.

Thanks! That was REALLY helpful!

It's just sad to know that not all AoE spells are affected by Evocation and the feats.
  • Options
    cenomxcenomx Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2014
    "Tier 1
    Tempest Magic: When your target is below 30% maximum hit points, you deal 2/4/6/8/10% extra damage.
    Useful during boss fights, when you must dish out some damage before the end. With the amount of hitpoints bosses tend to have, it can be a useful feat. (Stacks with Tiefling racial)"

Sorry, just want to confirm.. This "(Stacks with Tiefling racial)" ~ So as a Tiefling I would get 15% damage bonus against monsters bellow 30% hp ~ And Fire archon also Stacks, right? So I would get 20% bonus?
  • Options
    vincentrdragonvincentrdragon Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When Bitter Cold and Destructive Wizardry says "does not stack", does it mean "does not stack with itself, like stacks of Arcane Mastery can stack up to 5" or does it mean "does not stack with any other bonuses, like does not stack with Arcane Mastery, with each other, with Blighting Power, and so on"?

Because if it is the option 2, then Bitter Cold and Destructive Wizardry are pretty useless unless they fit into your rotation when you don't have any other bonuses.
  • Options
    musicpersonifiedmusicpersonified Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So which is better? The High Vizier Set or Fabled Iliyanbruen Set? :confused:
    13677_941316809230508_9089329589751409780_n.jpg?oh=34b04c6c8964f27ee21e3bbc6773779f&oe=54DC6680&__gda__=1424029933_d200cb2c1a6a2b821f683a2870b5ac78
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    So which is better? The High Vizier Set or Fabled Iliyanbruen Set? :confused:
    High Vizier because of the def-debuff for the whole group.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    nz87nz87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?337592-((T2))-Thaumaturge-Spec-Powers-Role/page64&highlight=nethreldras%27

nethreldras has done some testing and is posted on copticones guide. there are a lot of pages in that post. but this link brings you to the heart of nethreldras tests.

Sorry, but isn't this outdated? I've heard that some/all of the interactions have been fixed. Does anyone have a more recent list of which spells work with both the AoE and Chill damage increasing abilities/feats?
  • Options
    silgalian1silgalian1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    First I would like to say a big thx for this guide. Best 1 out there. Its my CW Bible.

Anyone got any numbers on how the recent changes to storm spell effect its damage?

I use CC as main at will and was wondering whether to go Chilling Presence and EotS instead of Chilling Presence and Storm Spell.

My crit is already about 40% so I'm not sure how much use EotS would really be?

Thx again for such a comprehensive guide.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Take eots and move some of that crit (keeping it around 30%) to arp or power. Take storm spell or evocation for aoe and chilling for single target but keep eots always.
  • Options
    hello112211hello112211 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is this build still viable or is it outdated?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This is not a build guide per se. It is a comprehensive UP TO DATE guide to everything involving wizardry. Once you get a good understanding of the way of the wizard, you can use your new arcane knwledge to hone your skills. If you are already wise in the arcane arts and wish to experiment with builds from ledgendary wizards that have come before you, then check out Grimah's shadowmantle build or Stox's build for Spellstorm or dive deaper into the facinating real of fire with the build posted by Chemboy. All of these can be found in this forum.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    This is no build, it is a comprehensive guide--and current and viable as that.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is this build still viable or is it outdated?

The best thing about this thread is that it offers a lot of useful information about CWs rather than a single template. Templates are great for introducing less experienced players to viable build options that will get them up and running, but understanding the class helps players customize their builds in a way that helps them get what they want out of their gameplay.

If you're a beginner at CW, then you'll probably benefit from one of the current and well-received guides suggested by niadan. If you already have a handle on the class, then you don't need anyone's build unless you're just looking for some different ideas.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    hello112211hello112211 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Who is stox? I can't find him.. I am a beginner and looking for the spellstorm Mage build for end game T2 dungeons, VT & Malabog etc. please help..
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Who is stox? I can't find him.. I am a beginner and looking for the spellstorm Mage build for end game T2 dungeons, VT & Malabog etc. please help..

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?539741-Grimah-s-Shadowmantle-Spellstorm-Thaum-Spec-(PvE)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?535911-Stox-s-PVE-CW-Thaum-DPS-guide

They're both viable, but read the fine print before you commit to a build. Stox's, for example, requires that you know how Snap Freeze works and that you run a specific rotation to maximize results. Otherwise Snap Freeze becomes useless.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited March 2014
    A hybrid of the two builds is very popular as well where you use the stats (stack power) and feats from Stox but take Frosen Power Transfer instead of Snap Freeze and use COI on tab. Again use these as guides and adjust to your own playstyle.

Happy hunting!

Niadain

PS take what grimah, uurbs and vorphied say as wizardry Gospel...their advice are diamonds in an otherwise foggy forum of misinformation.
  • Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?539741-Grimah-s-Shadowmantle-Spellstorm-Thaum-Spec-(PvE)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?535911-Stox-s-PVE-CW-Thaum-DPS-guide

They're both viable, but read the fine print before you commit to a build. Stox's, for example, requires that you know how Snap Freeze works and that you run a specific rotation to maximize results. Otherwise Snap Freeze becomes useless.

That is the best explanation of the 2 builds I have seen. I highly doubt that as much as Stox and Grimah changed their builds that either run exactly what they posted, but a mashup and a bit of testing and personal playstyle preferences will lead you where you to the build you want. Neither build is bad and are good baselines, some people don't like CoI on Tab, others don't like snap freeze / chill strike, but both are solid starter builds.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Going to update this, but need some feedback. If theres anything glaringly wrong, please post here. I do not actively play my wizard anymore, and kind have gone off them so I'm no longer willing to run tests and such.

One thing I may need to correct is the ray of enfeeble debuff amount, my tests from before gave results of 20% (18%ish) I may have forgotten to take off elemental empowerment but i honestly cannot remember. If anyone can confirm whether it is 20% or 7.5% from some posts ive noticed, please say.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Nothing really wrong that I can see, other than that we are really no longer a primary controller in dungeon or group related play. I would begin to classify it more as a primary AoE damager and a secondary controller as the primary uses have changed a great deal. While our primary use is still trash clearing its not done the way some people perceive it to be done.

That said, the only MAJOR thing that changed was Icewind Dale and how you have to do things there. It made some powers much more valuable, and in my opinion greatly increased the viability of the MoF paragon path as its able to fully take advantage of its DoT powers on mobs with higher health. Honestly throws a monkey wrench in a lot of the old ways of doing things.

Also with the advent of Tenacity many of the older Single Target control powers do not work as efficiently as they used to so that is a consideration.

Also the increase to Combat Advantage damage bonus needs to be looked into as well as Artifacts these have been a game changer, as it has made Renegade Specs much more valuable as well.

I think those are the only major changes since your guide was updated.

The MoF build I've been running up there has payed out in spades, but it was designed specifically around Icewind Dale so may not be as effective in the old Dungeons which I have not run in some time. I don't think so.... because even in the Kessel Skirmish where you are in direct competition with other players and mages, its maintained its strength in comparison to other CWs. But I haven't seen its performance in the old world dungeons as I haven't been back there for some time.

The Spellstorm builds I played on Preview however maintained their strength so long as they were set up for Damage. There they tended to be much stronger on weaker 2-3 man HEs and you could clean them out in one shot. The usual with being stronger on lots of weaker mobs. They tended to have more problems with the larger HEs as you had to get a lot closer to do damage. But still very solid.

However you could not mess around with powers that don't kill mobs or do a lot of damage quickly, as the mobs are just too strong there and will kill you in a heartbeat, hit them fast, hit them hard.
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    If theres anything glaringly wrong, please post here.
    Under "encounters":
    - Reference to AP gain from EF hitting multiple targets. Abilities now give the same AP gain regardless of targets hit.
    - The passage on Repel could use a little something something about how horrid this is in most group fights, pointing out it's situational nature.

Under "statistics":
    Power now grants 1% damage increase per 166.

It'd also be nice to have a bit more about how to play in a group setting under the "wizardry 101" headline. Alot of newcomer CWs start out playing group content just as they would solo, using things such as repel and ice storm to keep mobs away instead of making sure they're all in a tight ball of juicy mob meat that can be killed off quickly. Basic suggestions such as grouping mobs up by the ranged enemies (melees will come running to that spot by their own accord), avoiding to cast OF or shards in the middle of a group - trying instead to cast these on the outskirts to push mobs tighter instead of apart. To stand by the tankier people in the group instead of running around all over when chased by baddies. To assist clerics and occasionally tanks when they're taking too much heat instead of just going for top damage.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thanks, ive made the corrections, as well as some old mistakes i only just noticed. (CA is 15% base damage not 10%! unless that changed too)

I think its better to let new players figure those group things out for themselves, I do not want to dictate how they should play, even if I would find it annoying.

Good suggestion about artifacts, but my playtime on this game is getting rather casual so i don't think i can keep it up to date, as you notice theres already alot of new companions added.

As for PvP, that loadout is just an example. Theres just too many variations and depending on your skill-level and level of your opponents.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • Options
    gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi everyone,

This week-end I tested a lot of things on Mimic server for the upcoming change.
    I noticed a good thing : Sudden Storm worked with Evocation.
    So, I decided to test it on live server to know if I missed something useful in the last month with the patch note.

After a lot of hit with sudden storm on dummies, without and with Evocation.
    I can confirm that sudden storm work with Evocation now on live and on test server.

I don't know if someone else have noticed that, but I think it's a useful information to everyone.

I tested conduit of ice too, but it doesn't work.

Here is an update of Power affected by Evocation :

At will :

Chilling cloud (3rd hit)

Encounters:

Chill Strike (Mastery)
    Repel (Mastery)
    Shield
    Icy Terrain
    Steal Time
    SoE Avalanche
    Sudden Storm

Dailies:

Ice Storm
    Oppressive Force

I hope it can be useful.

Thank you
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • Options
    atarcanatarcan Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2014
    Thank you, I was looking for info about it. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gildriador wrote: »
    I noticed a good thing : Sudden Storm worked with Evocation.
    Thats coffin nail for storm spell...
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Shardplosion hits a lot more targets than 5 after extensive testing
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Shardplosion hits a lot more targets than 5 after extensive testing

It will knock over and prone more than 5, but will it damage more than 5? If so, what is the limit?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've managed 10 targets in foundry, but its possible that more could be hit by shardplosion if you bunch them up more, which isn't quite so easy solo
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You sure its the explosion?

The prone has no limit (or 10+ if i remember correctly)

Thanks for the list gildriador, I will try to update this when the next mod hits.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    I've managed 10 targets in foundry, but its possible that more could be hit by shardplosion if you bunch them up more, which isn't quite so easy solo

Did you parse data, or are you just counting how many different numbers ring up? If it is the latter then what you may be seeing is Shard Slam damage (the damage of the shard rolling into enemies) and not the actual explosion damage. Shard slam can theoretically hit infinite enemies so long as they are all in exactly the same spot (like some foundry missions). The explosion damage is limited to 5, or it was when I last tested it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xreverusxxreverusx Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is obviously not for those who are NEW ... Never mind that everything I try to read about Neverwinter has unusually horrific grammar, to the point of being near incoherent, but this guide doesn't actually describe what anything being referred to actually IS. The author introduces numerous terms and descriptors with no indication of what they mean.
    So, I am sorry that I didn't play WoW for the last decade and pick up all the crazy gamer-talk! If you are going to make a comprehensive guide that will actually help intelligent people who are new to games like Neverwinter, who are searching for help regarding technical game mechanics and issues with tactics as they level up to 60 then here are some tips:

1. Try to use complete sentences, or at least complete phrases.
    2. If you are going to use a term, define it.
    3. In modern literature, it is customary to use the full text of a name or thing PRIOR to introducing an abbreviation or
    acronym. example: Damage per second (DPS) .... then just say DPS from there out, don't assume I know what

So, I have been playing Neverwinter for about 6 weeks, nearing level 60, and there is either "babytalk beginner guides" or "All I have ever done in life is play video-games" super advanced gibberish. Try making something that you can imagine being printed and sold to the public, then maybe it could be considered useful to those of us who are NEW to online gaming.

NOTE: Considering that I annihilated Diablo 3 front to back when it came out so I don't consider myself to be an imbecile when it comes to gaming.
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xreverusx wrote: »
    This is obviously not for those who are NEW ... Never mind that everything I try to read about Neverwinter has unusually horrific grammar, to the point of being near incoherent, but this guide doesn't actually describe what anything being referred to actually IS. The author introduces numerous terms and descriptors with no indication of what they mean.
    So, I am sorry that I didn't play WoW for the last decade and pick up all the crazy gamer-talk! If you are going to make a comprehensive guide that will actually help intelligent people who are new to games like Neverwinter, who are searching for help regarding technical game mechanics and issues with tactics as they level up to 60 then here are some tips:

1. Try to use complete sentences, or at least complete phrases.
    2. If you are going to use a term, define it.
    3. In modern literature, it is customary to use the full text of a name or thing PRIOR to introducing an abbreviation or
    acronym. example: Damage per second (DPS) .... then just say DPS from there out, don't assume I know what

So, I have been playing Neverwinter for about 6 weeks, nearing level 60, and there is either "babytalk beginner guides" or "All I have ever done in life is play video-games" super advanced gibberish. Try making something that you can imagine being printed and sold to the public, then maybe it could be considered useful to those of us who are NEW to online gaming.

NOTE: Considering that I annihilated Diablo 3 front to back when it came out so I don't consider myself to be an imbecile when it comes to gaming.

personally i need to thank grimah for being my primary source of enjoyment with this game. i had never played mmo before and without his advice i never would have beeen able to beat top tier dungeons etc