test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Discussion] T1 dungeons are unnecessary at this point in the game due to the AH.

lobstersaurusblalobstersaurusbla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Currently, there are several tiers of dungeons, which I'll post in short form here.

Epic Dungeon
Gearscore

Cloak Tower, Cragmire Crypts

Lair of the Mad Dragon, Throne of Idris, Grey Wolf Den

Pirate King, Frozen Heart, Spellplague, Temple of the Spider, Karrundax, Dread Vault

Castle Never

Since my main is a GWF I will mainly address from that class's point of view, but other classes should be similar.

A fresh 60 with all green gear has about 5000ish gear score (or so). Through buying cheap blues on the Auction House (AH), you can go to 6000 or likely even 6800 straight out of the door through the AD gained from leveling up (around 50k in my playthrough with some still left over). As the game has progressed to this point, many people are at the T2 stage which can be achieved from the AH for approximately 50-100k astral diamonds or through obtaining PVP gear, etc. The queue for T1 dungeons is outrageous at this point, often taking 45 minutes without finding a group. The quick solution to this is to keep 2 T1 dungeons (say Cloak Tower and Cragmire) and bump the gearscore to 6300 or so. Change the rest of the T1 dungeons to T2 (this is easy, just scale the levels to 65 and scale health accordingly). This would decrease queue times and allow new 60s to experience dungeons with other players. (Also scale skirmishes to 60 please)

On the other hand, I believe there is a larger problem with loot drops themselves. If you look in the Auction House for GWF mainhand swords, here are the 4 best GWF swords available with lowest price - Beholder shard.

Sharpened Ice Axe - 5k AD
769-941 dmg
1344 power
270 recovery
270 arpen
225 regen

Berserk Champion's Greatsword - 200k AD
787-962 dmg
1654 power
279 crit
126 recovery
126 deflect

Valiant Duelist - 400k AD
787-962 dmg
1654 power
279 crit
126 arpen
126 def

Ancient Castle Champion's - 930k AD
805-984 dmg
1690 power
284 crit
133 recovery
133 deflect

As you can see, the last three swords are pretty much the same thing although the Ancient Castle Champion's gets a set bonus (+450 crit) when paired with its sword knot. The problem is that there is no random loot rolls (unlike Diablo) so there's no point in farming items when you get the exact same item as everyone else, down to the stats. The T1 market is oversaturated already with thousands of the same item which now go for hundreds or a couple thousands of AD on the auction house because they're not worth anything when a T2 item is clearly better. Solution? Add random loot rolls, and allow high rolled T1s to roll to low T2 level. This would give people a reason to farm T1 (faster dungeon, more drops) while still giving better gear. This solution wouldn't require rescaling dungeons, but would have to have a large revamp of the loot system which is probably infeasible.
Post edited by lobstersaurusbla on

Comments

• kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The reason the low T1 dungeons are now useless is because as you said most have moved on. I would say a good 90% of the community has atleast 1 lvl 60 and I wouldn't be surprised if a very large chunk of that is already a piece or two into T2. IMO this whole problem is due to the lvling speed. We are nearly 3 weeks out of release and already your community has maxed out. There is something wrong when a game rushes you to End Game as quick as possible, and the reason is because they often find they have less End Game Content then they thought they had. I am guess they figured they would have had more time to work on new content while players were lvling but that is now out the door.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    15k GS running T1 for unicorn seals to get skins daily. Problem?
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stalwart helm. Mad Dragon Epic. 1.5mill AD. I don't really need to say any more.

Personally I hope the Feywild expansion will introduce that much needed fresh content to NW, at least for a week or two.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Stalwart helm. Mad Dragon Epic. 1.5mill AD. I don't really need to say any more.

Personally I hope the Feywild expansion will introduce that much needed fresh content to NW, at least for a week or two.

timeless hero sword

7 million ad

ggggggggggggggg
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm levelling up a new character just to have a reason to do T1 again. I miss the "old" cloak tower and idriss, because with my BiS DC it's really not interesting anymore. Sometimes i do cragmire for loots, secret rooms and chests (it's the most profitable dungeon gold-wise afaik), but when you tell that to the guys in there they start screaming because they want to rush it, so, i've almost stopped doing that one too.
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I hate rushing through dungeons. People scream for more content. I two manned the regular spider queen once and we found a whole other lower sub dungeon with duergar demolitionists and gelatinous cubes. No we couldn't beat the final boss two man but exploring the dungeon and taking it slow was fun! Maybe if people quit doing speed runs and actually explored they wouldn't be so bored. :/
  • lobstersaurusblalobstersaurusbla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skyewolf1 wrote: »
    I hate rushing through dungeons. People scream for more content. I two manned the regular spider queen once and we found a whole other lower sub dungeon with duergar demolitionists and gelatinous cubes. No we couldn't beat the final boss two man but exploring the dungeon and taking it slow was fun! Maybe if people quit doing speed runs and actually explored they wouldn't be so bored. :/

I fully agree with this point. However since many players' main source of income is the loot from dungeon runs (if they don't want to grind foundry/pvp or don't have lvl 20 leadership already), they often feel that a run where everyone wipes before the boss is worthless, especially during DD. Perhaps scaling up skirmishes and increasing other rewards (making chest drops more useful) would encourage exploration. I've noticed an increasing number of players ragequit in pug dungeons, which is quite annoying after you've spent an hour or more on an epic and can't complete the boss/receive DD loot without all of the players.
  • toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

In minecraft, you are rewarded for exploring. You dig around and find a diamond vein, or you wander around the nether and find a nether dungeon with loot. In neverwinter, you are not rewarded for exploring. You explore a dungeon and you are rewarded with trash mobs that drop nothing. all value is so heavily focused on dungeon delves and getting to that last boss that everything else is insignificant
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am not 60 yet because I love exploring. I will never ragequit on a group once I get there, because I am patient. (Ergo, people should look me up. Am looking for friends of the same mindset once I get there. Which might be a while.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • davedogxdavedogx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Random loot rolls would give me an incentive to play again. Quit weeks ago after maxing out my DC and getting the best gear in the game.
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I am not 60 yet because I love exploring. I will never ragequit on a group once I get there, because I am patient. (Ergo, people should look me up. Am looking for friends of the same mindset once I get there. Which might be a while.)

What server are you on? I and many of my guild mates love doing the same thing :D
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

And it's not always about rushing through. I haven't seen CN, and Dread Vault is exactly what it sounds like. A vault of dread with the broken fires. Actually running dungeons is fun. Taking time is fun. But, you can't take time when everyone wants to blow through to get the gear from the chest, that is on a six hour or so timer. Many players see no reason to run dungeons unless DD is up. So, those players don't run, and it makes it harder for those of us that DO want to run dungeons at any time, to do that.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And it's not always about rushing through. I haven't seen CN, and Dread Vault is exactly what it sounds like. A vault of dread with the broken fires. Actually running dungeons is fun. Taking time is fun. But, you can't take time when everyone wants to blow through to get the gear from the chest, that is on a six hour or so timer. Many players see no reason to run dungeons unless DD is up. So, those players don't run, and it makes it harder for those of us that DO want to run dungeons at any time, to do that.

Yesterday, i've queued for karrundax without a premade team, right before the end of the DD event. I've been kicked from the group because i was killing all mobs on the way and didn't take any shortcut. Of course it happened after someone aggroed the first boss, thus they got no replacement. It's amazing to see how much people can agree to waste a DD run if it's not something they can exploit.

The best moment to "force" randoms to explore is queueing 5 mins before the end of the DD, because they know they have to deal with you. If they get angry, don't answer in chat, they will think you're a **** and won't bother checking your gear anyway.

With this trick i've been able to fully explore most dungeons except CN. There are a lot of secret mini bosses. Too bad most of them drop no seals and blue <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> no one wants because it doesn't even have a unique skin. Have you ever been to the secret boss in Karrundax? Do you guys even know where all the secret chests and nodes are? If not, then, queue 10 minutes before the end of DD, don't rush and take your time. :cool:
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Incorrect. Not everyone wants to invest thousands of hours to get that one loot drop. I was in a dungeon, the group broke apart before we even started. Its very frustrating. For those who are willing to open their wallet a little wider, you can buy enchanted keys then sell those keys for Tier 2 Gear.

Yet its not easy as it sounds. Each item of gear roughly cost at least 5 enchanted keys. The company profits when I buy the keys, the person I'm buying from profits from getting the keys. I profit from getting the gear. You can buy almost anything in game already, bag space, companion, boost in profession.

This is just complaining from elite few that wish to walk around boasting in their T2 gear, how they are the greatest thing in the world. I like Bind on Equip. It lets those who want spend time to, get the gear. It also equally allows a chance for those willing to pay to obtain gear.

Why does that bother you so much, are you worried you won't be a special snowflake.
    edited June 2013
    Sometimes I don't care if I get the loot drop or not. I just want to explore and unless you manage to find 5 like minded people or can run with guildies then it's hard to do that with everyone so focused on loot loot loot :/ That's why I often enjoy just two or three manning the lesser dungeons just to explore and play the game.

I have no need to boast...it's just a game.
  • desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    12.2 GS (insert Class here) who bought all their gear on the AH, has not run one T1 epic dungeon so I really do not know how to play my class (unless you count soloing) LFG T2 or CN Please....Oh and when we fail I will guarantee I will rage quit the group after 2 attempts on the boss.

/sarcasm off

This is why we need T1 dungeons. People need those easier places to learn how their classes work best with others. Take a CW and a GWF in a group. Most CW's will singularity and then shield push the mobs all over the place. This leaves the GWF and the tank chasing singles instead of cleaving through the whole group. a CW who has a clue will singularity them, shield push while its going to build AP, then steal time to stun them when they land from the singularity, allowing the AOE classes to melt them down. Thats just one example of stuff I see when on the odd occasion we take a PUG to fill a shortage from a guild run. There are plenty out there for all classes.
  • lobstersaurusblalobstersaurusbla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is why we need T1 dungeons. People need those easier places to learn how their classes work best with others. Take a CW and a GWF in a group. Most CW's will singularity and then shield push the mobs all over the place. This leaves the GWF and the tank chasing singles instead of cleaving through the whole group. a CW who has a clue will singularity them, shield push while its going to build AP, then steal time to stun them when they land from the singularity, allowing the AOE classes to melt them down. Thats just one example of stuff I see when on the odd occasion we take a PUG to fill a shortage from a guild run. There are plenty out there for all classes.

In order to do this, you have to make T1 dungeons worthwhile. If you run T1 and KNOW that the item you are going to receive is inferior to a T2 item and will probably sell for maybe 10,000 AD max on the AH, there's no incentive to run (unless you're going for stalwart helm or something like that, with a low drop chance). With random loot rolls, there would be more of an incentive but with the quantized gear levels we have right now (T1, T2, T2.5) there's zero point in doing this. Maybe a requirement for new 60s would be doing the T1's a certain amount of times (new daily quest hmmmm) so they would learn mechanics.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What server are you on? I and many of my guild mates love doing the same thing :D

Oh, right, forgot to say. I'm on Mindflayer.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia