test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why did you choose Neverwinter to play?

Comments

• cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    psupirate wrote: »
    I agree, the cash shop is way out of wack. Certain things are fine (vanity mounts and such never really bothered me) but some things are absurd (bags and bank slots in particular).

BTW, is that "psupirate" as in power supply unit, Penn State, or something else?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Morbid curiosity. I play Champions, I wanted to see if the cash shop is worse than ours. IT is, we can buy bags in game.

However, CO is partially maintained by subscribers. This game is not. This results in some difference in revenue generation practices, so it isn't surprising this game relies more heavily on the cash shop.
  • darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    I too am a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms setting and D&D/PnP in general. I ran a 4th Edition campaign awhile ago, and always thought that its themes and mechanics could inspire some awesome MMO gameplay. That's what first drew me to the game, and the combat, questing, and Foundry are what hooked me from there!

Funny how you devs seemingly only choose to answer lame posting like this. Actually it’s sad when there have been some many other posting asking about fixes and changes that need to be answer and those seem to always fall of deft ears.

In fact devs post usually end up with this comment.

Hey all thanks for the feedback and discussion on this. Much appreciated!

So, from what I’m taking from this comment is, yea we hear ya, but were not going to do a **** thing about it. GG is a good example of what I’m referring too.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Free to play, i enjoyed the combat mechanics during the closed beta, and now i have something to do in game (farming to get my enchantments). I also love pvp, this is my reason to stay here.

The dev team has fixed dungeon exploits and didn't dumbed down the game too much for now. I hope this won't change. If they want gamers to stay here the game has to be really challenging. There are too many theme-park easy mmos out there.
  • iceybluekitsuneiceybluekitsune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    doubt this wil be read by anyone but figured id put in my reasoning.

the reason i play(ed) neverwinter is because long ago when i was younger i played baldurs gate and then BG2 then i found neverwinter nights and it was so much fun playing those games. they were different than most other games i played. they were great games, they gave me some insight into what my mom, uncle, sister and our neighbors would play downstairs on some weekends which was pen and paper DnD (1st or 2nd edition i think) and they did have a huge grided chalk board for making rooms for dungeons and all that sort of thing. i wasnt allowed to play because i was too young and it may have been a bit violent/adult in some of the story. sure there was a lot of reading which i wasnt a big fan of in games but i still enjoyed them. when i played NWN 2 it just continued.

after NWN 2 it was a while before i found dragon age origins. and that game was a great attempt at a continuation, but it didnt have the aspects of neverwinter nights which i really enjoyed. they were on different levels. i enjoyed both equally but for different reasons. when i heard there was going to be another neverwinter i was really happy. then i heard it was going to be an MMO which would be free to play. that was a big let down. i am giving it a chance and for a while i was happy with it. but now i am seeing so many problems that are killing my desire to play but thats not what this thread is about.
    edited June 2013
    doubt this wil be read by anyone but figured id put in my reasoning.

A forum is all about reading and posting. The two go hand in hand. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • psupiratepsupirate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BTW, is that "psupirate" as in power supply unit, Penn State, or something else?

It is for Penn State (my alma mater). Love the cobra commander pic btw.
    edited June 2013
    psupirate wrote: »
    It is for Penn State (my alma mater). Love the cobra commander pic btw.

Thanks. :) And I work for Penn State right now. Live in State College too. Can't remember if I talked to you in a PM or not.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    crystal7j wrote: »
    Myself, I don't have the funds now to spend on a p2p so that leaves f2p. I might have picked RIFT over Neverwinter but I already played back when it first came out. I played the f2p DDO and loved it to death so I wanted to try Neverwinter.

Why are you here?

TL;DR

This game is not pay2win. You only pay for slight advantages that make you better than other players in pvp. Everything that can be gotten in the cash shop can be earned by just playing the game and paying a little money in the cash shop. This is not really a factor for balance because jobs are easy, so anything in the cash shop is a non-issue. Learn2play. Working as intended.
    edited June 2013
    pregnable wrote: »
    TL;DR

This game is not pay2win. You only pay for slight advantages that make you better than other players in pvp. Everything that can be gotten in the cash shop can be earned by just playing the game and paying a little money in the cash shop. This is not really a factor for balance because jobs are easy, so anything in the cash shop is a non-issue. Learn2play. Working as intended.

..."slight advantages which make you better than other players in pvp"... sorry, but that's Pay2Win. Doesn't matter if you can also earn those advantages through regular gameplay and buying AD with gold. It's still Pay2Win because those PVPers who pay will get those advantages much MUCH earlier than the people who grind to get them.

Worse is when the people who grind to get them finally do, Cryptic/PWE will release a new wave of paid advantages. So it becomes an endless cycle where no-payers are continually behind the curve in PVP.

As for PVE this has little to no bearing. And that's good, because I do mostly Foundry (create and play UGC), so it has little effect on me. The effects on me are indirect, with players leaving because of it, so that's less players to play the content I make. Less people in my guild, and fewer people in general in which to PUG, etc.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love Forgotten Realms. Read dozens of books. Without the FR title I think lack of class options would have detoured me but being in the Realms is just pure bliss.

Oh and playing with a PS3 Controller is very relaxing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I love Forgotten Realms. Read dozens of books. Without the FR title I think lack of class options would have detoured me but being in the Realms is just pure bliss.

Oh and playing with a PS3 Controller is very relaxing

There's no controller support in Neverwinter, at least not to my knowledge. Do you just map buttons manually?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's still Pay2Win because those PVPers who pay will get those advantages much MUCH earlier than the people who grind to get them.

Paying for time is what F2P is all about, if you can achieve it via putting in time OR purchasing with money then it is not pay to win.

I started playing NW because some friends of mine talked me into it heh. I played WoW and decided I wasn't going to ever play an MMO again b/c of how much of a time sink they are. But now that I have been playing I'm really enjoying it!

I really like the F2P model, with P2P you pay $15 (ish) a month just for access, but with NW I got the game for free, play for free, and when I decided I want more character slots I put in $10 dollars and bought them. I have also done surveys and traded AD for Zen for a mount, keys (waste of money lol), and vanity items (wish they we're account wide =/)

I've been playing 2 months and I have everything extra I wanted quickly and saved $20
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    crystal7j wrote: »
    Myself, I don't have the funds now to spend on a p2p so that leaves f2p. I might have picked RIFT over Neverwinter but I already played back when it first came out. I played the f2p DDO and loved it to death so I wanted to try Neverwinter.

Why are you here?

By the time neverwinter was official announced i didnt play any MMO anymore and that was 3 years ago and i didnt play any other MMO's until nevewinter was released. The reason for that is because this is a D&D game mostly in forgotten realms world... But know the only thing that keep me playing is the combat and play it with some friends.... its not the D&D part anymore because the game have nothing to D&D at all :(
  • h4lofanatich4lofanatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    There's no controller support in Neverwinter, at least not to my knowledge. Do you just may buttons manually?
    Apparently there is. Enderlin isn't the only person I know who has used a controller. Apparently it feels rather nice to use one.
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I came for 2 reasons, I'm a converted 3d shooter gamer, now into the MMO style of gaming, I like building a charcater up, then dungeon running to get what should be top line cool gear to dress them out, I played the original Bauldors gate and really liked that game. And 2 it was F2P, so I lost nothing for trying it out. I have to say, at this stage I am totally dissapointed in the game, seems the makers are more interested in getting you to buy all your gear, rather than earn it, as shown from the deluded AH, or spend cash on ZEN, for practilly worthless copy and paste items.. BF4 is out in oct... I plan on being in it. Till then.. not sure, I may go give Rift another try as I'm pretty burned out on this game already. Not being harsh guys, just my personnel on the game... end game is def. lacking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
    edited June 2013
    Apparently there is. Enderlin isn't the only person I know who has used a controller. Apparently it feels rather nice to use one.

I have a feeling they're just mapping buttons manually to WASD and abilities, then may be analog thumbstick to mouse cursor. But unfortunately no automatic way to set up a game controller from what I can tell and have read.

So that means these controllers are being run with software to do the mapping. I have a Logitech one that works like this, but I can't run it in XBox mode, I have to run it in PC mode to map everything. So someone using a console controller that doesn't have a PC mode and software seems questionable.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As expected some folk want to turn this into a "Why I am disappointed with Neverwinter " or "Why I hate cryptic PWE/Zen/f2P" etc...

For me it had just as much to do with the pre alpha community here than it did with myself being a huge D&D FR fan, but that has been drowned out by the doomcryers.

The good news is the in game community is nothing like the forums.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I chose Neverwinter because of gameplays, lore, opinions of other players and my friends who are playing it.
    I was looking for some game which is different and possibly F2P because I can't spend much money this summer - problems with my job. Anyway I found it here so I was happy to stay.
    edited June 2013
    For me it had just as much to do with the pre alpha community here than it did with myself being a huge D&D FR fan, but that has been drowned out by the doomcryers.

The good news is the in game community is nothing like the forums.

Indeed. Better yet: dedicated guilds are usually nothing like the forums either. :)

I can understand complaints and such, as I have more than my fair share. But all of the "this game is dead", "sue Crytic/PWE", posts and comments are silly. May be a little entertaining, but yeah, silly. There's certainly some fine line between complaining and ranting like a lunatic. ;)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Friend: "Hey! You should try out D&D: Neverwinter. It's in beta, but the devs confirmed they aren't gonna do a server wipe when the game goes live!"

Me: "Ewww D&D Online? We played that game and it sucked. Remember?

Friend: "No no no! This isn't D&D Online. It's a whole new game made by different developers and it's <huge explanation of the combat system> and best of all, it's F2P!"

Me: "F2P and it's not another tab-target lamo MMORPG? Sign me up!"
    edited June 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Me: "F2P and it's not another tab-target lamo MMORPG? Sign me up!"

MMORPG-Logic-Gif.gif
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I decided to give Neverwinter a try do in large part to being bored with World of Warcraft. I grew up playing Ad&d 2nd edition among other pen and paper role playing games and wanted to see if this was any good. It's turned out to be an o.k game, and that's all that matters to me. Plus it gives me that much needed break from World of Warcraft, which is also a good thing, because after 9 years I needed a break.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    It's turned out to be an o.k game, and that's all that matters to me

About the same for me. The game itself can be fun, but nothing spectacular. The reason I'm here is for the Foundry, otherwise I'd still be playing GW2 and probably getting ever more burned out on it. Being able to build UGC into a game is rather unique in an MMO (Foundry from STO), but not so much in a regular game.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • taarnfalktaarnfalk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got tired of WoW and EQ 1+2 and needed a changed. I choosed it because it was free and because i love NvN and Baldurs gate games. I must say i like the game so fare thugh i really could use more bag space :D
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I thought it was gonna be the "new and improved NWN2"..................lol.
  • teezy604teezy604 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I came here for the exploits and the game delivered!
  • gulrakdarkgulrakdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rodosto wrote: »

Instead of those i found these reasons to quit.

1. Bugs, bugs and bugs. Alot of bugs and exploits. Uncompleted game and still in Alpha state.
    2. There isnt any D&D. Except the places, names, classes, races.
    3. Content is TOO boring. There is nothing to do at the endgame.
    4. AH became the endgame.
    5. Game still selling stupid founder packs and other ****.
    6. Customer service is WORST.
    7. Too few classes. You cant do anything about your character.
    8. Very straigthforward, simple and out of lore questing. For instance, i killed a Dragon then im still gathering mushrooms at the next area. LOL. Also every map are same.
    9. Developers are really bunch of amateurs.
    10. Every patch is fail and brings alot of anger.
    11. PvP is really broken as PvE.
    12. Too few classes for a D&D game.
    13. VERY very few paragon paths and limits players... THIS IS D&D AFTER ALL !
    14. Buggy and not working feats, encounters, features etc.
    15. Add more 500.

QFT

The game has a long way to go in regards to certain design issues and bug fixes
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    EQNext and WoD not out yet. Forgotten Realms setting (even if it is the silly 4ed), the foundry has potential as well.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    teezy604 wrote: »
    I came here for the exploits and the game delivered!

Great post. That explains almost everything i dont like about this game in a single sentence. Nice.:p