test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NeverWinter, the 50 Shades of Grey of the gaming community

o0spoonman0oo0spoonman0o Member Posts: 31
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have been wanting to write a review of NeverWinter ever since I reached level 60. The problem has been there is so much I wanted to say about it that I've had a hard time getting it all out in a post. I've finally done that (linked below).

While my girlfriend edited it for me she made a comment about how NeverWinter sounds very much like 50 Shade of Grey. I asked her to elaborate. She said that 50 Shades of Grey was a new, racey, BDSM filled romance novel that has drawn in so many readers but left them hot, wet and wanting for more. 50 Shades of Grey tried to create a new genre of books that was racey and different than anything in the mainstream. But the problem with it is that although there was good "giggity giggity" scenes, the rest of it was absolute <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. There was no story line and it left readers in a state of, "should I keep reading to see if it gets better because I really want this to work out, or should I stop now because this seems to be going nowhere." I had the exact same experience in NeverWinter. The combat engine was fun, and it seemed like it had the potential to be an engaging PVP experience. Could this really be the next game to hook my attention for more than a millisecond since EverQuest? The promise was there but would it have the follow through. Click here to read on.
Post edited by o0spoonman0o on

Comments

• izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Still waiting for Gamespot and IGN reviewer of this game. But I won't surprise if there wouldn't be any.
  • twisted0utlawtwisted0utlaw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been wanting to write a review of NeverWinter ever since I reached level 60. The problem has been there is so much I wanted to say about it that I've had a hard time getting it all out in a post. I've finally done that (linked below).

While my girlfriend edited it for me she made a comment about how NeverWinter sounds very much like 50 Shade of Grey. I asked her to elaborate. She said that 50 Shades of Grey was a new, racey, BDSM filled romance novel that has drawn in so many readers but left them hot, wet and wanting for more. 50 Shades of Grey tried to create a new genre of books that was racey and different than anything in the mainstream. But the problem with it is that although there was good "giggity giggity" scenes, the rest of it was absolute <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. There was no story line and it left readers in a state of, "should I keep reading to see if it gets better because I really want this to work out, or should I stop now because this seems to be going nowhere." I had the exact same experience in NeverWinter. The combat engine was fun, and it seemed like it had the potential to be an engaging PVP experience. Could this really be the next game to hook my attention for more than a millisecond since EverQuest? The promise was there but would it have the follow through. Click here to read on.

If an MMORPG can't hold your attention for more than a millisecond than i believe you have ADHD.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

What exactly is 50 shades of grey?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Worst analogy ever your GF needs to stop reading <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and not make decisions off lame third hand descriptors. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Your review is just really counter productive, why would i bother reading it if your first line is that its a shiny <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>..
    Something which i think you have got all wrong anyways seeing as the expression is 'you cant polish a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'
    As for 50 shades of grey ive never read it but heard all about it, quite how you can compare a new MMO to someones attempt a writing a modern Mills & Boon novel are beyond me...

If you dont like it leave it at that, your review isnt going to win you any friends or prizes for that matter..
  • o0spoonman0oo0spoonman0o Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    I'm not looking to make friends or prizes - I'm looking to point out this isn't a game made to be a fantastic game - it's made to fool gamers into spending money.

The comparison was done because both titles left us with a feeling of wishing the book/game/content wasn't awful (I wanted to like this game) it's simply impossible. I remember my group of friends and I having quite a few conversations while leveling in neverwinter about the fact that we were playing a game that felt very empty from a content and what's actually there perspective.

Why read the review because it's negative? You only read stuff that jives with your opinion? seems rather boring.

Point is - this game is awful. I made that blog post because I feel like Cryptic and PoE are doing nothing aside from harm to the gaming community as a whole. Your "if you don't like it don't say anything" attitude isn't going to affect change. I've pointed out several times why this game is awful on forums. Everyone held up the ITS A BETA FLAG.

Well it's not beta anymore, it's just as unfinished, un balanced and just plain awful as it was the entire beta - they launched with uninfished talent trees for crying out loud. Please explain what there is to do at 60 aside from spend money on enchants and PvP against people who have done the same? How long does it really take to consume all the 60 content (not including the new encounter because really who wants to play that?)

The game obviously held my attention for more than a millisecond that was an exaggeration (and an obvious one).
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Great Write up of the game, the issues you described are pretty much all true. The one thing you have to remember is Cryptic isn't banking on the average Joe to keep this game afloat, Cryptic is relying on the fans who love D&D too do that for them. You take all the fans who've at one time or another played the tabletop D&D game, inform them that their is a game being developed using the Forgotten Realms Setting, and watch how fast people will react to that news.

Make it a F2p (Hack-N-Slash) game,slap the Mmo sticker on it and add a cash shop and profit. Cryptic is a business after all, nothing in this world is free and I can't really blame Cryptic for using a well known way of making money to keep an F2p game running without charging a Subscription fee. If the loyal fans of the D&D genre like the game and are willing to fork over cash to play it, then Cryptic did what they sought out too do.

Good for them,
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    D&D fans will enjoy the foundry, and you dont have to buy a gd thing for it. The majority of real D&D fans see this game for what it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »
    D&D fans will enjoy the foundry, and you dont have to buy a gd thing for it. The majority of real D&D fans see this game for what it is.

I'm a AD&D fan, and I've been playing the PNP game for a long time, and I see the game for what it is. A way for a company to make money off the fans who enjoy D&D. Maybe in your (OPINION) you haven't opened your wallet up (YET), but many more fans I'm sure have. Like I wrote before, I don't see anything wrong in the business model Cryptic is using, they know the average Joe isn't the fish their after to keep the game a float, because those players jump around too much. No, Cryptic is looking for those players who enjoy D&D and are willing to spend some money on a game using the Forgotten Realms setting.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited June 2013
    You're comparing this game to a piece of Twilight fan fiction?!?! Freaking lame!!!!
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    my opinion - your review sucks.
    and dont tell me what i have to like and what not.

for everything else: if you dont like the game.. G.T.F.O. nobody will miss you or even remember your name by the end of the day.
    and dont tell me you want to warn others from the game, just look at the first 2sentences in the review, those two alone lead one to the conclusion that its just a big pice of ****ty hating
  • silence1k1llsilence1k1ll Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Your girlfriend isn't exactly a literary genius, is she?
    I ENJOY PLAYING NWO
  • talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dude I will tell u what it seems like u just got blasted by the hard core GEEK TASTIC people of D&D, man fan boys r so counter productive to fixing things that r wrong with a game.

Any way I didnt read your full post yet, but your girl friends analogy of this game makes tons of sense, so all these fan boys, should just kiss your ***(not hers.... yours lol.)

Any way I will tell u 1 thing the fan boys of D&D, and of any game for that matter defend their game like it is their baby u r talking about. lol that is just such sad BS. But hey what can u do.

To all u out there that want to try to annoy me from what i said u can SUCK DONKEY NUTS cause I dont really care I just wanted the person posting this to know he is not alone, and I like where he is going.

And u all fan boys can either jump on the train to help fix games, or with your fan boyness run it into the ground defending it, and bashing any 1 who wants it to b more then it is.

So heres to a GOOD analogy, to u, and your girl friend, and have a good 1!=)
  • myo86myo86 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    +1 tabnvector
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not looking to make friends or prizes - I'm looking to point out this isn't a game made to be a fantastic game - it's made to fool gamers into spending money.

It was a valid point. Don't listen to the fanboys. You could write the most spot on review in the history of all reviews and they would call it <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> unless it coddled the game and sang it's praises.

Like he said, if you don't like it leave. Don't write bad reviews ever only good ones, that's the fanboy motto I guess.
  • lolf2pomglolf2pomg Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i lold
    hard
    very hard
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is the guy that can't win consistently in EA NHL 13. That's embarassing bro
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dude I will tell u what it seems like u just got blasted by the hard core GEEK TASTIC people of D&D, man fan boys r so counter productive to fixing things that r wrong with a game.

Any way I didnt read your full post yet, but your girl friends analogy of this game makes tons of sense, so all these fan boys, should just kiss your ***(not hers.... yours lol.)

Any way I will tell u 1 thing the fan boys of D&D, and of any game for that matter defend their game like it is their baby u r talking about. lol that is just such sad BS. But hey what can u do.

To all u out there that want to try to annoy me from what i said u can SUCK DONKEY NUTS cause I dont really care I just wanted the person posting this to know he is not alone, and I like where he is going.

And u all fan boys can either jump on the train to help fix games, or with your fan boyness run it into the ground defending it, and bashing any 1 who wants it to b more then it is.

So heres to a GOOD analogy, to u, and your girl friend, and have a good 1!=)

And all of you haters are choosing to spend you time on this forum why?

The vast majority of us love the game. In fact most people don't come to the forums because they are too busy playing the game.

Are there things that need to be fixed? Yup.

Are there things that can stand improvement? Yup.

What I have seen is things are getting fixed and things are getting worked on. Not always as fast as I would like, but I am an impatient human:p.

This is a game in its infancy and, even so, it is a blast to play.
  • artemys21artemys21 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    This is the guy that can't win consistently in EA NHL 13. That's embarassing bro

Actually club is 384-165 lifetime... .700 win % is by no means astounding but a trifle more than "cant win consistently". Troll on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

As for Neverwinter - I love DND and Forgotten Realms more than any other fantasy series out there. The game itself is absolute garbage. Its a massive cash grab and there is so little to do at 60 its disgusting. There is zero solo character advancement once you are max level outside of playing the Facebook game professions.

The DND nerds jumping to the defense of a terrible game are baffling.... compare this game to WoW, or Everquest (Even Everquest today in its latest stages) and show me one good thing this game holds over them? Its a lazy bug filled game with garbage developers/management.

Perfect World's Priority System is basically a chain of ... Does it affect Zen sales? Yes? FIX IMMEDIATELY.

Anything else we'll get to it when its convenient. The disgusting thing is its actually working for now and when it finally dies the death it should they'll probably move on to a Harry Potter game where you can pay $100 worth of Zen to see Hermione in a bikini and all the Potter nerds will flock to it like these DND clowns.

Stop feeding into this garbage company's cash grab and find a real game.
  • raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    And all of you haters are choosing to spend you time on this forum why?

The vast majority of us love the game. In fact most people don't come to the forums because they are too busy playing the game.

Are there things that need to be fixed? Yup.

Are there things that can stand improvement? Yup.

What I have seen is things are getting fixed and things are getting worked on. Not always as fast as I would like, but I am an impatient human:p.

This is a game in its infancy and, even so, it is a blast to play.

Wrong, the vast majority quit playing. I had a guild of over 100 active people that's now 3-4 active people. I had a friends list of over 50 people that's down to 2 active players. Yeah, there's a normal drop off in every game as time passes. This one's lost the bulk of its player base faster than any game I've played. There's a good reason for this. And it's not because this is an amazing game.
    edited June 2013
    Have you played Diablo III ?
    Have you really tried PVP or you just sucked and concluded that it must be **** if you can't manage to own people ?

I ran several teams in WoW in both 2's and 3's (and not raceroll comps like rogue mage priest) to 2800+ Seasaons 1-4 in WoW ... after that I just lost interst in wow due to the direction it was going with expansions. In general if I play a game that has a competitive aspect I do just fine.
    Your article is utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and shows that you barely explored the game.

You can buy everything with AD and when you are 60 T2 and in a retardless guild, it's easy to make AD. So you can buy everything you want including mounts or companions just with AD (Zen exchange in AH).
    The pvp balance is one of the best I've seen for a game at that state. There is no useless class and none is overdominating to the point it would be better to queue 5 of those and that is really not something I was expecting for such a young game.
    Even if the GG pve is boring imho, the pvp is ****ing awesome for those who had the chance to try.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the only way for these items to *enter the game* is with real money. The auction house doesn't create items, people buy these items with real money and then sell them on the auction house for AD.

Even if you buy it with AD someone bought that item with real money and perhaps not in your case but in many the item is bought with AD that came from Zen exchange. It's a cash grab, they don't care who buys the items but they only have one way into the economy
    Your gf reads uber <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ? Don't share, we don't care. And afaik, the ones talking about their gf online are the ones who don't have any. Everytime I see such things, I think to myself "why do you have to mention such a thing, why do you need everyone to know ?" because IRL, everyone knows your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> will never ever touch anything sexier than a paper tower.

You should have looked around my blog a little more before you did this. I mentioned it because it actually happened, while I was writing the post she came in and we were discussing my post.

So since you've shown so much interest, here's my GF's blog:
    4896839928_4aab8a4699.jpg (couldn't find a smaller image that would link properly)

I think she's sexier than a roll of paper towel myself....but IDK maybe you really like you some paper towel.
    But, srly, how can you think this comparison worth anything ? A mainstream full of **** book that is able to only turn on the coldest of american womens who never tried backdorring is here compared to a MMORPG. You could have taken anything that disappointed your right hand in your life and you took this ?

It was an in the moment conversation about the feeling of wishing the product was better than it was, not the products themselves.

MMO regarding : Have you ever tried something else than the crappy wow ? Have you tried the utter **** that is / was D3 ?

I have played (in no particular order):
    The Realm, Everquest (vanilla till 2005), Rift, Vanguard, Warhammer online, WoW (closed beta -> 2 years or so), Age of Conan...I think that's about it. I'd say Age of Conan is about the only game in that list that was worse than this game at launch.
    I have many problems with this game, you have quoted none of them. It is just a bad rent with a bad comparison and a loosy attempt to prove that it could be a pay to win. It is not, if it were, I wouldn't be there. I know what a pay to win is, and I don't want having to play without my wallet being a disadvantage anymore.

Your article is bad and you should feel bad cause a rant could have been funny but yours isn't at all.

Edit : On the bright side : if your gf thinks you are a genius and this was funny, keep her, she is the one you need. You can now proceed, and marry your hand.

Edit 2 : the whole blog is just rants. And not funny one. Use humor, specially when you rant, or noone will ever think this has been at least entertaining (cause face it, you don't give any real information or data).

The whole blog - isn't rants, though there are some there. Most of them aren't meant to be funny - sometimes I'm pissed off and I rant that's what a BLOG is for. My blog also isn't there just for people to read or for me to become popular it's often times my thoughts when I'm able to get them out in a somewhat organized manner. Sometimes critique isn't funny it's just honest. It's about being popular or getting tons of readers, I'm not trying to make a job out of this I already have one of those.

Now on to the point I really wanted to make - you have not refuted a single thing. The majority of what you had to say was taking pot shots at me or my GF. I welcome comments and feedback but you just took this as an opportunity to do what everyone usually does when any aspect of their real life is revealed. LOL YOU HAVE NO GF AND ARE OBVIOUSLY LYING; this has nothing to do with my original point, but I'm not the type to be called out and not respond.
    koldmiser wrote: »
    You're comparing this game to a piece of Twilight fan fiction?!?! Freaking lame!!!!
    You're right more work likely went into the fan fiction
    Your girlfriend isn't exactly a literary genius, is she?
    If you'd like to know more about her feel free to visit her blog page - she welcomes visitors and comments :)

So anyone have anything to say about this game and why it's actually good - or would we like to continue taking shots at myself and my GF because I dared to post something real and didn't hide behind the forum anonymity like everyone else here is doing?

I love MMO's and have been fiercely loyal to those I've played that have been worth playing. I'm not a troll out there ripping cryptic because I can't be uber and pwn everyone up - that isn't at all what my complaint is about. As for all those out there saying "like it or leave" most already have including me that doesn't mean we wouldn't love the game to be fixed so we could come back; yes men don't drive improvements.
  • lethizorlethizor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Read post.

Went to blog link.

Made it to second post.

"menstrual woahs"

God it's amazing what people can put on the internet and call literature.

Woahs.

Like... perhaps she meant whoa, which is still not the same as woe.

I'm a woman by the way, it's not that part of this that is making me want to hit someone with a dictionary.

Like, whoa.

I think I can now dismiss whole post as either a very good troll or a really sad epitaph to humanity and English language skills.
    edited June 2013
    lethizor wrote: »
    Read post.

Went to blog link.

Made it to second post.

"menstrual woahs"

God it's amazing what people can put on the internet and call literature.

Woahs.

Like... perhaps she meant whoa, which is still not the same as woe.

I'm a woman by the way, it's not that part of this that is making me want to hit someone with a dictionary.

Like, whoa.

I think I can now dismiss whole post as either a very good troll or a really sad epitaph to humanity and English language skills.

First off - who claimed anything on either blog was "literature"? ... they're blog posts get your nose out of the air.

So I'm to assume you've no real counter argument to the subject of the thread and this is why you've chosen like everyone else to take pot shots at my GF? You claim to have read my post, re-read the second to last paragraph and ask yourself what did you really do?

The point of linking to my GF's blog was to refute the earlier point that she didn't exist...there's little point in discussing HER blog HERE. You could comment on the actual post and attempt to be useful but you'd prefer to litter this space instead.

The point of this thread was to link to my blog post - which discusses issues which are prevalent in this game. If you'd like to comment on individual blog posts within the blogs posted there are comment mediums available there for you to do so.

Try to focus and comment on the subject matter rather than just picking on random stuff that has nothing to do with the original article.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately, your review comes across as pushing a personal agenda a bit rather than a dispassionate evaluation. This is even more strongly evident for someone who has played the game, and is thus capable of spotting the factual errors you make while painting your portrait of the game.
    You wouldn't find an official review like it on a reputable gaming site, but its fine for a blog, as an opinion piece, and a place where you can grind your axe while using language you couldn't in a similar rage post on these forums.

Personally I'd disagree with the mistakes, but otherwise have no issue with you expressing your personal opinion on your blog site. That is pretty much what they are there for.
  • lethizorlethizor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If there is no point in discussing her blog, why link it as proof of her existence? Wouldn't it make more sense to post a picture of her holding a sign saying "o0spoonman0o is my boyfriend"?

You probably need to stop telling other people to get their noses out of the air when you are crying about people not agreeing with you on the internet, and you're crying about people making commentary on things you linked in the first place.

If you don't want comments on what you post, don't post it. If you want only positive comments, you're barking up the wrong tree obviously. No one is going to tell you how beautiful and flawless your creation is with 0 other feedback, unless you're two years old and have just made a poopy outside of your pants for the first time.

Also, I can post about whatever I want. You don't own the internet, you don't own these forums, and you don't own the choices of others. Trust me, if anyone here owned the choices of others we would have spoken to your parents and told them to choose trojan!

I'm sorry people didn't like your creation. Continuing to whine about it isn't going to make it better. I'm sorry your girlfriend doesn't know the difference between the words whoa and woe, or apparently how to even spell whoa.

Get a grip.
  • scottbriscottbri Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    artemys21 wrote: »
    As for Neverwinter - I love DND and Forgotten Realms more than any other fantasy series out there. ...

The DND nerds jumping to the defense of a terrible game are baffling....

How can you be taken seriously when you make claim to enjoy something only to denigrate others for enjoying the same exact thing?
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Unfortunately, your review comes across as pushing a personal agenda a bit rather than a dispassionate evaluation. This is even more strongly evident for someone who has played the game, and is thus capable of spotting the factual errors you make while painting your portrait of the game.
    You wouldn't find an official review like it on a reputable gaming site, but its fine for a blog, as an opinion piece, and a place where you can grind your axe while using language you couldn't in a similar rage post on these forums.

Personally I'd disagree with the mistakes, but otherwise have no issue with you expressing your personal opinion on your blog site. That is pretty much what they are there for.

I'd be very interested to hear how exactly I'm pushing a personal agenda, if it's this evident it should be pretty easy to come up with some real arguments instead of just being vague.

It's not an official gaming site, it's not meant to be one so we agree on that. The mistakes you mention - can you be specific? the point of all this is discussion. I came here with an opinion; not to hear everyone agree with me. I was quite certain I'd get plenty of people disagreeing.

As for all the blog and GF nonsense - Just drop it. The links were provided to give proof of existence - I didn't post a stupid picture with her holding some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because it was a lot less time / effort to link to a blog that's already in existence. Both blogs have photo's of us and us with each other - that is what the point was. No one's trying to stop you from posting anything on the internet - but the point here really isn't to discuss my Girlfriend...I have a grip. I'm simply asking for constructive critique or discussion on the subject matter.

No one's "crying" about anything....again I'm not emotionally vested in this thread. It would just be nice to have some actual discussion. I've welcomed critique of the points in the blogpost, do you have any?
    edited June 2013
    scottbri wrote: »
    How can you be taken seriously when you make claim to enjoy something only to denigrate others for enjoying the same exact thing?

He stated he enjoys Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms fantasy series more than others

Neverwinter - DND online isn't the fantasy series, it's a game that's cashing in on the intellectual property of DND.

They're not the exact same thing at all, Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms were around long before it was made into an online video game.
  • scottbriscottbri Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    He stated he enjoys Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms fantasy series more than others

Neverwinter - DND online isn't the fantasy series, it's a game that's cashing in on the intellectual property of DND.

They're not the exact same thing at all, Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms were around long before it was made into an online video game.

You, clearly, did not understand my question. Hopefully, I can clarify it below and you won't have to argue against any more Strawmen.

I did not ask which came first nor did I ask if NWO is the perfect iteration of DnD.

I asked how he could claim to love DnD yet call others 'DnD nerds', using nerds as an obvious pejorative. This type of hypocrisy tends to destroy any arguments he puts forth.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    scottbri wrote: »
    I'm guessing that he would not regard himself as a D&D nerd just for loving D&D. Therefore "DND nerds" are defined by something other than the love of the game.

Thus he isn't denigrating others for enjoying the same things as he does.
    He is denigrating them for enjoying different things than he does.