test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disappointed...

vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
NW turned out to be better game than I expected it to be, when I joined OB in April 30th; I made a GF and I really had some fun doing quests, skirmishes, PvP, Dungeons, and Foundry quests; I even created my own foundry quest and I enjoyed it a lot.

Then I learned that the game was based on D&D 4e, and as a NWN1 (Bioware)/NWN2 (obsidian) fan, I thought that I should take a look at the differences in the implementation of D&D into the game. NWN1 was based on 3e rules and NWN2 3.5. So, I downloaded the D&D 4e PH, my first thought about D&D 4e was that they really ruined it for pnp players, although it was probably the best edition to be implemented into a MMORPG; then I figured out that NW's implementation of 4e was shallow.

Nevertheless, I thought the game is still in OB, it has not been yet released, they have plenty of time to polish it to make it closer to D&D 4e rules; I was so naive; 1 week later, they announced that the game was going to be released in June 20th.

Now, I don't bother playing NW, because I know that even if they add more classes, races and paragon paths to the game, the implementation of D&D 4e will remain to be superficial. It was a big letdown, I had high hopes for the game; don't get me wrong, this is still a fairly good MMORPG and you know that, but it had the potential to become an excellent MMORPG.

I will not compare here NW and D&D 4e, but if you wanna know more about it, read this thread, and this one too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
Post edited by vold316 on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Edited it, please guys, fix that posting bug; it's been there since... always.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    NW turned out to be better game than I expected it to be, when I joined OB in April 30th; I made a GF and I really had some fun doing quests, skirmishes, PvP, Dungeons, and Foundry quests; I even created my own foundry quest and I enjoyed it a lot.

Then I learned that the game was based on D&D 4e, and as a NWN1 (Bioware)/NWN2 (obsidian) fan, I thought that I should take a look at the differences in the implementation of D&D into the game. NWN1 was based on 3e rules and NWN2 3.5. So, I downloaded the D&D 4e PH, my first thought about D&D 4e was that they really ruined it, but it was probably the best edition to be implemented into a MMORPG; but then I figured out that NW's implementation of the rules were shallow.

Nevertheless, I thought the game is still in OB, it has not been yet released, they have plenty of time to polish it to make it closer to D&D 4e rules; I was so naive; 1 week later, they announced that the game was going to be released in June 20th.

Now, I don't bother playing NW, because I know that even if they add more classes, races and paragon paths to the game, the implementation of D&D 4e will remain to be superficial. It was a big letdown, I had high hopes for the game; don't get me wrong, this is still a fairly good MMORPG and you know that, but it had the potential to become an excellent MMORPG.

Yes, 4e actually has MUCH more depth than this game. What their classes remind me of is the dumbed down "Essentials" version of 4e where they introduced classes with cookie cutter builds in cheap little paperback books.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Here's a simple solution.
    1) Write a note to yourself to play Neverwinter & to not look into D&D 4th edition.
    2) Drink half a gallon of vodka & bash yourself over the head.
    3) Enjoy the game and your instant amnesia.*

*Warning, side effects include brain damage, slurred speech, incontinence, death, and other medical complications.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    ultimombraultimombra Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agree with Vold316 and Wuhsin!
    The Unseen Knight
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Yes, 4e actually has MUCH more depth than this game. What their classes remind me of is the dumbed down "Essentials" version of 4e where they introduced classes with cookie cutter builds in cheap little paperback books.

Yeah, but not only the classes are a shallow implementation of the ones in 4e.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    daemonspadedaemonspade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    1) Write a note to yourself to play Neverwinter & to not look into D&D 4th edition.

*Warning, side effects include brain damage, slurred speech, incontinence, death, and other medical complications.

wow..best reply to a thread ever... heres a cookie .. now go to sleep
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So this is another 4e QQ? How about we get you some virtual dice to roll. Some virtual pen and paper maybe?
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »

Not my exact line of thought, but I like it.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    dsolzdsolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I enjoy dungeon and dragon online more then neverwinter.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Someone made a post in another forum many years ago that I still remember to this day. His words were so true. "You guys need to lower your expectations, this is just going to be another MMO, nothing more." Of course nobody listened to him at the time. I can't remember his name. But his words ring true across many games and many communities out there. People get so pumped when an MMO announces that they are basing there game off of something that already has a fan base. Those fans flock to the MMO expecting more than just another MMO. Their hopes and expectations sore well above the ambitions of the developers. Then the game comes out and those fans discover they are just playing an MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    So this is another 4e QQ? How about we get you some virtual dice to roll. Some virtual pen and paper maybe?

Anything that would make it more D&D-like. As it stands now, I don't even think about D&D when I play the game. Neverwinter is just some generic city you find in every fantasy game, named after something we used to know. For some strange reason, adventurers have forgotten how to use a bow. Where are all the spells we grew to love. Where are the cool weapons. I mean a +4 weapon represents the penacle of craftmenship in most D&D games, with +5 being a rare proc by a smith or a lifetime achievement. Here magic weapons drop like rain during monsoon season. Where is the dragon loot, I mean what self respecting dragon sits on 1 piece of loot for crissakes.

I guess I am just old school D&D, but I remember fondly the day I got my first +1 longsword in tabletop after 4 gaming sessions, and it really meant something within the parameters of the game.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter is pretty much D&D 4.0e lite and they tried to emulate WoW with tiered progression. Not saying it's bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'd like you guys to watch this video and listen to the first 8 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    I'd like you guys to watch this video and listen to the first 8 seconds.

You can add "Believing what an MMO developer says" to the list of classic blunders, just after "Getting involved in an Asian land war".
  • Options
    beriielkisrin1beriielkisrin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They didn't say 4e pnp fans sweetie. This game reminds me of NWN, Baldur's Gate and NWN 2 (without the keep). Monty haul games with a main story line.

What you envisioned isn't what they were promoting. It's just that simple.

MMOs have been out too long to drool over the +1 longsword after weeks of playing. Most people don't read the quests let along suffer over moral choices in mmos and I haven't played an mmo in years, just years in which people actually explored dungeons and took their time.

That mmo age came and went. I think you just missed it, because I played a few mmos back in that day that was closer to what you want now.
  • Options
    coogrrrcoogrrr Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with Holt. Stop QQ about how every game doesnt meet your expectactions - get an education and go write one yourself. That will show them what is the right way - according to you. STOP complaining about a free to play game that allows you access to all content given time and effort (many dont allow you to trade time in game for market items like NWO)

If your opinion of your opinion is so **** high then how in the hell do you have time to write it here? Go back to WoW and QQ about people getting free level 80 characters and stupid Panda Bear love fests you r-tard.
    It Can Wait!!!
    Dont text and drive please. Dont risk your life and the lives of others. Join the cause and take the pledge - See more at: http://www.itcanwait.com

RM1fNp64
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    *the mage walks in, gasps at the zombie thread and quickly ushers in a Doomguide of Kelemvor who then proceeds to put the undead creature back to rest*

Please, let the dead lay in rest. Necromancy is forbidden within these halls. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.