test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your take on Bind on Pickup (BoP) - Vote here

stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Here's my take:

Advantages:

- No more ninja looting, it solves the problem of people rolling for drops just to sell them.

- A person who really needs it will (ideally - unless there's a griefer in the party) get an equip that drops if he really needs it.

Disadvantages:

- Players who already have full gear will no longer have any reason to dungeons. (Apart from helping friends)

- Eventually as more and more people get full gear, there will be lesser number of dungeon groups making it harder for those who aren't fully geared to find parties.

Unless there's a constant supply of new players hitting level 60, I don't think this is a wise change in the long run.

- Given that skill kit nodes and astral shield being nerfed, the dungeons are going to get harder and yet be less rewarding.

- A player who does not have the gear score required to run a certain dungeon may have no way of achieving the gear score. (Most parties ask for 9k+ GS for T2 dungeons, what if the player needs a T2 equip to get his GS above 9k?)

- A casual player (who plays 1 - 2 hours a day / plays just on weekends) would take weeks, if not months, to get end game gear.

- A non-casual player with an immense amount of bad luck could end up facing the same problem.

On a side note -

This might be another money making scheme, if they introduced unbinding charms or scrolls (or whatever they want to call them) they'd probably sell like hotcakes.

Thank you
Post edited by stormysg on

Comments

• Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stormysg wrote: »
    Here's my take:

Advantages:

- No more ninja looting, it solves the problem of people rolling for drops just to sell them.

- A person who really needs it will (ideally - unless there's a griefer in the party) get an equip that drops if he really needs it.

Disadvantages:

- Players who already have full gear will no longer have any reason to dungeons. (Apart from helping friends)

- Eventually as more and more people get full gear, there will be lesser number of dungeon groups making it harder for those who aren't fully geared to find parties.

Unless there's a constant supply of new players hitting level 60, I don't think this is a wise change in the long run.

- Given that skill kit nodes and astral shield being nerfed, the dungeons are going to get harder and yet be less rewarding.

- A player who does not have the gear score required to run a certain dungeon may have no way of achieving the gear score. (Most parties ask for 9k+ GS for T2 dungeons, what if the player needs a T2 equip to get his GS above 9k?)

- A casual player (who plays 1 - 2 hours a day / plays just on weekends) would take weeks, if not months, to get end game gear.

- A non-casual player with an immense amount of bad luck could end up facing the same problem.

On a side note -

This might be another money making scheme, if they introduced unbinding charms or scrolls (or whatever they want to call them) they'd probably sell like hotcakes.

Thank you

The best system imo is a dual system
    NEED roll=Bind on Pickup
    GREED roll=Bind on Equip

- No more ninja looting- Thats a good thing
    - A person who really needs it will........-Unless there is another like class character in the group that needed it just as much. Again thats a good thing.

As for all your listed DisAdv they are solved as well.
    - Players who already have full gear will no longer have any reason to dungeons.- Sure they do. They can still GREED roll and sell the item and since you can still sell Bind on Equip/GREED rolled items you still have a reason for players to run DD and can still provide new 60s equipment via AH.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing wrong with Bind to Character and Bound to Account gear as long as everyone gets loot. I think the need/greed system stinks. I much prefer that everyone gets drops. The whole Need/Greed screen thingie when you are in the middle of combat cheapens the whole experience.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Nothing wrong with Bind to Character and Bound to Account gear as long as everyone gets loot. I think the need/greed system stinks. I much prefer that everyone gets drops. The whole Need/Greed screen thingie when you are in the middle of combat cheapens the whole experience.

I agree... TBH I rather hope they adopt the "Guild Wars 2" model where everyone gets a "pull" from the dungeon treasure chest. What you get can be random (variety of rare, uncommon or common items). This way everyone will be satisfied with their lot. The random NBG rolling model is so outdated.
  • Options
    stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2013

Are you saying everyone in the party gets all the drops which are BoP? (And not one person?)
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The whole Need/Greed screen thingie when you are in the middle of combat cheapens the whole experience.
    But...there's nothing like your entire screen being covered in need/greed/pass boxes in the middle of a boss fight because some (redacted) picked up all the loot instead of doing their job...:rolleyes:
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    But...there's nothing like your entire screen being covered in need/greed/pass boxes in the middle of a boss fight because some (redacted) picked up all the loot instead of doing their job...:rolleyes:

I really suggest they move the loot messages window to the side... hated the whole loot message cluttering up the whole top to middle portion of the screen.
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I could live with this or even a token system. Each character would be rewarded per each run. Each run yields so many tokens, say 1 per epic run, 2-3 per DD run. Each piece of armor could then be acquired by turning in so many tokens. Tier 1 pieces cost between 2-4 tokens per piece and Tier 2 cost double (or a whole different type of token). This would also help with getting the one piece you need to complete a set. LoTRO runs a token type system and I rather enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    stormysg wrote: »
    Are you saying everyone in the party gets all the drops which are BoP? (And not one person?)

Nope. What I'm saying is everyone gets loot. There is no need for a need/greed system. Every mob fight doesn't need to drop loot.. thats why there's so much green loot... way too much so it has no value. To me, its just redundant and kills the immersion.

Instead, I'd put a few more chests in the dungeons or wild areas and make everyone get there own list of loot in each chest. Done. No drama.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    pasainpasain Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2013
    I am against the BoP for everything totally. It really shafts everyone in the long run.

BoP on need items is not ideal either. What happens when there are two players on the same class.. They both hit need, then one realises he has it.. can't even give it to the other person. The Icons/swordknots companion issue also comes into play here.. What happens with them. They become free rolls or vendor junk. So if thy are free rolls.. the classes that actually offhand them lose out. If they are bind on pickup on a need roll, then you realise its kinda not an upgrade, it becomes vendor trash again when some other person could have used it.

Yes leaving items as BoE does run the risk of having people rolling need when they don't really need it in a situation with the same classes. It does leave some hard to get items open to price inflation. Most items will come down to reasonable prices or become obsolete rendering them worthless. The NEED if your class can use is sufficient at this point. Dungeon grinds for that non existent piece of gear make the game obsolete.

Sure if new T3 sets or whatever come out and there is still some issue, then release that gear as BoP, Changing halfway through a cycle is always bad. It screws over new players and casuals who simply can't afford the time to progress.

If this change has to come in then make all the current items BoP too! Close the Equipment section of the AH and let those items expire and then make them BoP! Someone mentioned a server wipe, that is really probably the best idea if you are going to make a change of this magnitude. The gap between the Haves and Have nots will be too great and new players will be beggars. This is already evident in PVP when Pre made groups come up against Random groups. Those 11k GS people with good coordination are absolutely smashing Randoms, It is not even mildly balanced or fun in those situations.

Personally If I can't dungeon grind abit to beable to get some drops to sell, to upgrade my gear with enchants and wards, then I will not beable to progress and the game is basically over for me. Enchants are way over priced too, so reaching the pinnacle of gear becomes unachievable for all but the most hardcore grinders or deepest of pockets to purchase wards. Bear in mind I was happy with the balance changes, I think dungeon healing/threat issues are sorted, and it is now viable to actually play the dungeons properly and kill/control adds while managing a boss fight(mind you most of my experience is with T1s). PvP balance is quite off thou, it almost needs a GS queue. The haves vs the Haves or the Have nots vs the Have nots.
  • Options
    shadovar1shadovar1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Without a character wipe at release their entire loot system is screwed, there's no progression of gearing(and beta enhanced leveling speed makes high game portion of content redundant) from blues at fresh 60 onwards, their whole BoE system(especially epic pvp gear) ruins most of the content.

Open beta testing should always have a set end point but they couldn't resist early milking of the cash cow for real money(they could have easily simulated currency for proper testing) which makes them indentured to the wishes of their already paying customers.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There is no wipe needed. The loot system is not "screwed." There is plenty of loot for everyone, and its so easy to get.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    kerlaa wrote: »
    I could live with this or even a token system. Each character would be rewarded per each run. Each run yields so many tokens, say 1 per epic run, 2-3 per DD run. Each piece of armor could then be acquired by turning in so many tokens. Tier 1 pieces cost between 2-4 tokens per piece and Tier 2 cost double (or a whole different type of token). This would also help with getting the one piece you need to complete a set. LoTRO runs a token type system and I rather enjoy it.

There is a token type system in place. But it takes a lot more than 2-3 run to acquire the tokens needed to purchase your epics.
  • Options
    xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    Don't know what is trying to be "fixed" with this change, but it won't make me more likely to go into a dungeon.
    If Neverwinter's devs want to make it so people feel "special" for getting a piece of gear, this isn't the way to go.
    Is the market so bad that this change is "needed", I don't see it helping the market any.
    So what is the reason behind it?

So my vote is Other;

The only change I want to see is make it all individual loot. That way when someone "works" in a dungeon they get rewarded for that "work", no random chance for a "pay-check". None of this but I need it for AD, or you took my loot drama. And stuff still gets put in the market so others can gear up to run dungeons if they want.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nope. What I'm saying is everyone gets loot. There is no need for a need/greed system. Every mob fight doesn't need to drop loot.. thats why there's so much green loot... way too much so it has no value. To me, its just redundant and kills the immersion.

Instead, I'd put a few more chests in the dungeons or wild areas and make everyone get there own list of loot in each chest. Done. No drama.

Are we even playing the same game? Green gear isn't garbage because it's more common - it's garbage because at level 60, blue gear simply has better stats.

I will admit that the idea of having more chests in dungeons and outdoor areas is a good idea, though. Can anyone confirm, however, that chests can in fact drop blue items?

Lastly, aandrethegiant, I've seen your posts around the forums - as a community moderator, a title you display on every post, shouldn't you be a bit more forthcoming with the fact that the things you post are or are not representative of Cryptic/Perfect World? By not doing so you seem to be spreading a lot of misinformation, as people take what you say as official, when may not be.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There is a token type system in place. But it takes a lot more than 2-3 run to acquire the tokens needed to purchase your epics.

I assume u mean the PvP glory system. If that is the case I could live with it as long as everyone is rewarded. Im not sure on how many runs=equipment in PvP as I hate PvP in general and avoid it at all cost. However if the reward system works why not use it across the board.

If my memory servers it was 1-3 pieces back in LoTRO Mines of Moria. I still think all players that participate in a Dungeon run & more so DD should be rewarded and not just the lucky individual that won a NEED roll on an item they are probably just going to sell anyways.
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I liked the DDO system for loot. Do the dungeon, at the end open the chest and claim your prize. No issues, no ninjas. Keep the loot BOE, but no rolling against each other. Everyone gets loot on a successful run.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I assume u mean the PvP glory system. If that is the case I could live with it as long as everyone is rewarded. Im not sure on how many runs=equipment in PvP as I hate PvP in general and avoid it at all cost. However if the reward system works why not use it across the board.

If my memory servers it was 1-3 pieces back in LoTRO Mines of Moria. I still think all players that participate in a Dungeon run & more so DD should be rewarded and not just the lucky individual that won a NEED roll on an item they are probably just going to sell anyways.

I think he was referring to the various "seals" you get... like 'Seal of the Manticore' and such.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Nope... when you defeat a boss you get pegasus/drake token called seals in this game ..you can buy select T1 and T2 epic piece from the seal vendor located in the market.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nope... when you defeat a boss you get pegasus/drake token called seals in this game ..you can buy select T1 and T2 epic piece from the seal vendor located in the market.

Similar to how the PvP glory works but ya. I have only used the tokens to purchase items to sell on the AH myself as the pieces I need/want are not vendor pieces. The seals did make a nice way to equip my companion however.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Lastly, aandrethegiant, I've seen your posts around the forums - as a community moderator, a title you display on every post, shouldn't you be a bit more forthcoming with the fact that the things you post are or are not representative of Cryptic/Perfect World? By not doing so you seem to be spreading a lot of misinformation, as people take what you say as official, when may not be.

Neverwinter forum/community moderators are volunteers. We are allowed to have our own opinions, and play the game. We are staunch supporters of those who enjoy this game and keeping the NW forums a happy place for us as well as new blood trying the game out. We will deliver messages of course from Cryptic employees, and have a lot of knowledge.

We are very cognizant when we post to separate our opinions from official data. If you read my comments closely, it should be clear whats opinion and what's coming from PWE Cryptic. For example, when I say phrases like "What I'm saying...." or "To me..." or "I'd put..." that's just my opinion. You'll know when we make announcements or relay official information.

If you ever have a question again, feel free to PM me and ask. We are all easy to talk to... I don't bite! ;)

• Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Do you think prices of companions, dyes, mounts, etc. in AH will drop once no one is able to sell purple gear for AD? I mean, people are going to be a lot poorer, and this should result in lower prices right?
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    .........................We are all easy to talk to... I don't bite! ;)

You know how many times I have heard a giant say that in my DnD career. hehe sorry just had to. Giants second only to Vorpal Bunnies to their cuddliness.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Do you think prices of companions, dyes, mounts, etc. in AH will drop once no one is able to sell purple gear for AD? I mean, people are going to be a lot poorer, and this should result in lower prices right?

It might also help with seeing more green/blue gear in the AH, which in turn helps new players to lvl as they are able to find desired equipment. I mean their is very little gear/varity for those under 60.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »

I think the long term plan might be they will be selling cash shop item that lets you "unbind" gear and companions so you can still sell the top notch gear. But currently the rate of influx of BoE level 60 epic items is just ridiculous.. and we're just one month from the soft launch. I mean it's unsustainable at the current rate we're going (that means they'll have to churn out content at a rate of 1 new module every 2 months just to keep up with the rate of progression). The current industry standard is usually 3-4 months per major content patch.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013

I have to agree with this.

Since flooding the market is a bit less likely now I'd really like to see every person get a random drop.

However, like it or not, the old system was a ticking time bomb until the end game gear was worthless and that would have been bad for everybody.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Boss Loot = Need Binds, Greed does not. Need can be equipped or vendored or worn, Greed can be vendored or sold on AH, or equipped.
    Chest Loot = Auto Looted, not bound, can be sold on AH or bound and equipped.

All loot remains BOE. If the 1% need something special, grant them special spell effects that they can exploit their way to.

Either way, if Dungeon Loot becomes BoP alone, and I am no longer able to play with friends and need to play with certain people to get gear, then I will simply walk away from the game. I am NOT going back to the RNG nightmare grind of WoW, or previous games with slow gearing models.

Furthermore, if I am required to dump Zen into the game for diamonds, or am required to do that to 'unbind' gear, I will not only quit, but I will go out firebombing. Trust me.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think a lot of people are missing the point... many dungeon loot are still BoE.. just that dungeon boss drops and pvp vendors are BoP. Maybe now people will actually have an incentive to clear the dungeon trash for drops (not just punt them off cliffs).
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    While I support making some items BoP, I don't really like their approach in this case. They are using an axe when what's needed is a scalpel.

As other have said in this thread, they should tie BoP to Need rolling.

Win a Need roll = the item is bound on pickup
    Win a Greed roll = the item is bound on equip

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    fallacy1fallacy1 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2013

Yes, I have had this same issue a few times while in dungeons. Not only does it impair your vision, it totally depletes game immersion. An idea that I had was to have the loot rolls appear when all members of the party are no longer in combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us|Officer of The Noore|Nyan Cat
  • Options
    deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    can be good but also not so good.