Install Arc

Review for Review! "Tired of Being the Hero"

almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
By @Stebss
Short Code:NW-DGTOU4N94
Mission Type: Humorous/serious hack and slash
Average Duration: 15-25 minutes

Ever wondered what it be like to play the bad guy? Have you ever wanted to cause destruction, command an army of loyal servants, be the master of chaos and slay those foolish adventurers hired to defeat you and foil your evil schemes? Well now you can!
In this quest you are the final boss! Betray your allies, make an evil pact with a mysterious stranger, and command your own legions of minions as you fight your way through the volcanic dungeons slaying any heroes who dare stand in your path of destruction.

If you like detailed environments, witty banter, and are tired of always playing the hero then go ahead and give this quest a shot.
This quest is designed to be a daily that is re-playable at least 5 times. Depending on the artifact you choose at the beginning you will command a different array of allies to fight by your side resulting in a whole new play experience.

Authors Note: It is currently possible to leave the first map without choosing an artifact. If this happens you will ultimately not be able to complete the quest. SO TAKE ONE! At the moment the foundry is very limiting in this regard and I am trying to figure out a solution.

A few screenshots
heroge.jpg

tiredofbeingthehero.jpg

List of quests to review
Pavvo - The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26 - Reviewed and rated
Maerwin - NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Reviewed and rated
Darkanind - NW-DUCYKYQHA - Reviewed and rated
Zuviele - Part 1: The Rescue - NW-DHWDQZ9YD - Reviewed and rated
Caustic8 - A Short Dig - NW-DA8O42CFF - Reviewed and rated
Newbellon - The Abyss v2.0 - NW-DRMET9HYC Reviewed and rated
Eskarine - A wayward child - NW-DIIXJX4ES - Reviewed and rated
Zahinder - Wicks and Things - NW-DI4FMZRR4 - Reviewed and rated
Varna - A Clash of Wills - NW-DQ8I5BZSF - Reviewed and rated
Zefrimex - The Pack Man - NW-DE76NJPYV - Reviewed and rated
@revolting - Dwarven Dilemma - The Wobbly Leg : NW-DTNZTFYDS - Rated and reviewed
drakesigar - Adventuring College - NW-DPCZNUVQ7 - Rated and reviewed
avatre21 - The Lonely Dagger Inn - NW-DHMMZR6BJ - Rated and reviewed
lolsorhand - The Dwarven Tale - NW-DS3RNY82R - Rated and reviewed
obsidianw0lf - A Cry Unanswered - NW-DGNBAX3RD - Rated and reviewed
Mllebean - “Arty Boa and the Holy Grail” - NW-DUTKDLBYI - Rated and reviewed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Spellthief Trials
By @Stebss
Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
Post edited by almostcool on

Comments

• pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really nice twist. One small comment, the fight at the beginning at the lava area. It's possible to bug it by falling in the lava. If you run out, the mobs will run below and get stuck. I had to restart and make sure not to go down or push anyone down.

Cool new concept, I really really enjoyed it. And the fact that it's replayable to choose different "companions" awesome!

Appreciate a review in return (especially my 2nd quest - Amulet of the Shining Sun) Links in Sig

Cheers
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Had literally started working on my new daily called "The Other Guys" last night where you got to play the bad guy :) Will definitely be trying this out.
  • almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pavvo wrote: »
    Really nice twist. One small comment, the fight at the beginning at the lava area. It's possible to bug it by falling in the lava. If you run out, the mobs will run below and get stuck. I had to restart and make sure not to go down or push anyone down.

Cool new concept, I really really enjoyed it. And the fact that it's replayable to choose different "companions" awesome!

Appreciate a review in return (especially my 2nd quest - Amulet of the Shining Sun) Links in Sig

Cheers

I will probably add some invisible walls there then. I thought it might be a cool if it were possible for the player to fall in but since the lava isn't an insta-kill its more frustrating than fun. I will get back to you with your review very shortly :P

@yospeck, I was literally getting tired of always being the hero. I was surprised that I couldn't find a quest were you play the bad guy for a change. Let me know when yours is done I definitely want to see it. I think the darker side of characters isn't explored as much as it should be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Hey Pavvo just finished your quest " The Amulet of the Shining Sun" I found it to be very entertaining. You have some great characters and the idea of saving a wizard's apprentices from a shifting fortress is awesome. I like how you gave the player choices on who to save and added different mobs to correspond with it. Also, the last fight was epic.

Here are some really really small things. Nothing that affects rating at all.

When you talk to the first Erinyes in the beginning I forgot who I picked but it was about the one with the fire resistant skin. There are some grammar errors. Prove should be proves, there needs to be a "be" after "to", and "I've seen" instead of "I'm seen"

The skinned over mobs should maybe have their subtitles changed. Seeing "fire giant" and "Magma Brute" tag on a goblin was funny but I don't think this was intentional.

The second portal still has it's original stock name i.e. "Fx-Portal"

The quest details after you meet Ordanis for the second time say "go to the next map"

That's about it. Nothing major at all. Good job!

Where is everyone at? Throw me a few quests to review :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello, awesome quest! I would be glad if you reviewed mine (link is in the sig)

I got an option to blow whistle and received the wolves in upper ruins, even though I didn't have the whistle (chose staff).
    In the same level, the door just before the campfire glitched for me (they were invisible, after I opened it, I hit an invisible wall, managed to jump over it) I guess that could be just some server glitch, but I'll rather mention it.

By the way, killing one of human guard gave me Goblin Slayer achievement! You know what that means? Guards are goblins in disguise! So even though we think we are evil, we were killing the bad guys, meaning we are still good! Man, that's... evil! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for pointing that out Maerwin! I must have missed the required item setting on that one. That one door is a nightmare. No matter what I do it is very very glitchy, although I haven't had the invisible wall issue just appearances.

Yeah they are all drow, orc, shadar-kai, goblin, kobold. I tried to mix it up a bit. It seems we will never truly get away from the hero theme :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the prompts. Have made all the changes to the grammar, portals, and quest details. I thought it was strange you mention the skinned models as I have never touched my all the little mobs in that dungeon. Went back to the foundry to check and ALL my mobs (even in the other options) were changed to Frost Goblin skins! I thought that was a weird little bug. Have since changed and checked all the little dudes back to their appropriate skin.

Thanks for checking it out and more importantly, thanks for spotting that weird visual bug!

Heavy combat/light story
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I ran into that problem too in my quest since I had to duplicate so many encounters when dealing with all 5 options. pretty sure it has something to do with duplicating encounters though. You just have to go through them all again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Yeah
    tried renaming them and republishing. But it still defaulted back to Frost Goblins. Hilarious!
    Guess I'm goin to have to redo that bit of the map later tonight ><"

Heavy combat/light story
    edited June 2013
    @maerwin I cannot for the life of me find the trigger to the door in the shrine haha.

ended up finding it after searching quite a bit. Overall I thought the story was engaging but there was a bit too much running around for me personally and I think the encounters in the drow shrine could be placed a tad closer together. That room is awesome but fighting wave after wave of skeletons in it wasn't very appealing to me. Also, in regards to the shrine your details there are great but the door in the back of the room is floating in the air. I think you should try and also put some love into your other environments, that drow room had more detail than the other maps combined and really immersed me into the quest.

You have a few spelling errors but nothing major. One of them was when you interact with the rune in the shrine. You might want to review that one again.

Thank you for the review!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll try this later when I get the chance (probably with my level 60 cleric... or maybe to test out a new character as I have just bought two character slots).

However, I like this premise and would like to suggest a sequel. This time, the Bad Guys don't want to be bad guys anymore and are trying to run a farm. The farm is so successful that they have villagers buying crops from them. But now an evil guy wants to use them as his private army and they want the player to convince him they're not worth the effort... either through combat diplomacy or simply ending his existence. :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
    edited June 2013
    How did you already know my plans for the sequel quest?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • darkaninddarkanind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2013
    Playing yours now.
    Here's mine: NW-DUCYKYQHA
    Thanks!
  • darkaninddarkanind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2013
    Left you a review, and I was VERY impressed!
    Small bug I found, though. I chose the orb, yet when I got to the wolves, I was able to "blow the whistle" and recruit them.
    edited June 2013
    darkanind wrote: »
    Left you a review, and I was VERY impressed!
    Small bug I found, though. I chose the orb, yet when I got to the wolves, I was able to "blow the whistle" and recruit them.

Thank you very much! This issue should be resolved now. I will hopefully get to your quest tonight, and if not, then tomorrow morning definitely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    I'm playing yours now. When you get a chance, please try the quest in my signature

Update:
    I enjoyed this quest a lot. It looked like you spent a lot of time on the details. Your writing was very good, as was the humor you sprinkled throughout.

Found a couple minor bugs:
    In the last segment (the foresty part), the big double doors (the ones right before the camp fire) seem to be flickering in and out of visibility. Maybe they just need to be moved slightly in one direction, if that's even fixable.
    Also, some of the guard were getting caught up in the tree roots. Not sure if you can do much about that though.
    Finally, this isn't really a bug, but your exit portal says "Go to Next Map". I don't really care, but I know a lot of people prefer it says something besides the default.

All in all, lots of fun
    The Harper series (NWS-DG3ALMAAC):
    • Part 1: The Rescue (NW-DHWDQZ9YD)
    edited June 2013
    Will finish your two quests today.

My entire afternoon is free! Post your quest here and I'll get to it today :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Zuviele - Part 1: The Rescue.

I enjoyed this quest quite a bit. Rescuing a Harper who's mission went awry is a great theme and the Harpers in general are fun to explore. The run through the courtyard was epic and the small cutscene at the end was icing on the cake. Great use of the foundry tools and timers. I didn't notice any spelling mistakes and the story itself is just entertaining and can go anywhere at this point. Overall great job and a great introduction to your campaign.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    almostcool wrote: »
    Zuviele - Part 1: The Rescue.

I enjoyed this quest quite a bit. Rescuing a Harper who's mission went awry is a great theme and the Harpers in general are fun to explore. The run through the courtyard was epic and the small cutscene at the end was icing on the cake. Great use of the foundry tools and timers. I didn't notice any spelling mistakes and the story itself is just entertaining and can go anywhere at this point. Overall great job and a great introduction to your campaign.

Thanks! The harper quests are getting a lot more common now though. When I first started making it, there were only a couple up, now there are tons. I guess a lot of people like exploring secretive agencies.
    I honestly haven't decided where to go with the story yet. Like, what's in the crates and bags...dunno. I want to get some traction on this quest first before I even bother making another. It looks like your first foundry has a ton of plays now. Kudos :)
    The Harper series (NWS-DG3ALMAAC):
    • Part 1: The Rescue (NW-DHWDQZ9YD)
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like an awesome quest and will run it in a bit. I don't have anything at the moment that is review worthy, though. (Maybe in ~2 weeks.)
    edited June 2013
    Darkanind - NW-DUCYKYQHA - Pirate's Cove

I really loved some of the things you did in this quest and the story. The adventurers you join, the pathway behind the waterfall and the leap of faith jump in the caves was amazing. Especially the leap of faith. Haven't seen that yet and it was just a great idea. However, for me personally there was just too much running and I think it could be shortened or your rooms could have a bit more detail to compensate for the running. I also didn't understand the part of the quest where you have to give the token to the girl to pick up the adventurers gear. Maybe I missed it buy why couldn't they have done it themselves? Why did I have to do it and how did it contribute to the story? Perhaps you could clear that up a bit. Overall I think it was a great story and your ideas were flawlessly done. It was just the amount of running and space between each part of the quest that I had a slight gripe with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Upper ruins, first room has one banner that can use a little tweak; it's moving into a wall beam thing (What the heck are those called anyhow?).

The clipping door is still clipping like there is no tomorrow. Maybe an idea to just fling it? Though there also seems to be a distance draw bug there. Might be something you can't control in any manner.

I liked the small Pyke detail.
    Also, hah, power rangers reference?

There is a Press F to exit on your last map. *blinks* Did not expect that.

I don't have any other points for you, though. Well made, Stebss.
    edited June 2013
    I will fix that banner. That door is completely unfixable by me and its a shame. It seems to be a glitch caused by putting those two rooms together. I thought adding an openable door would help but it still does it. (it glitches with or without the door) I have tried quite a few things to try and mask it but no matter what it just keeps giving me that visual glitch. I am really sad about it :(

Glad you liked the Pyke detail :P and yes that is a power rangers reference hahaha.

Thank you very much. Go ahead and let me know when you complete your quest I will definitely return the favor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Have you tried to flick those doors and have some or the other obscure the transition between rooms (that disappears when the players comes close enough, maybe on point reached)? That way the draw distance bug should be less noticeable and you will no longer have flickering doors. Can't really come up with anything else to work around it, though.

No problem at all. I did sub to you, least I can do is toss in my two cents!
  • caustic8caustic8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    This quest was fantastic. Great idea, well executed. Great dialog. Lots of different options with the various items. Optional back story components. If I weren't out of tips for the day I would have definitely tipped. I'll be playing this again for sure. I don't have anything to add. The quest seemed very polished. It's obvious you put a lot of work into making a really great quest. Thanks for putting it together.

If you have a chance, please take a look at mine.

A Short Dig - NW-DA8O42CFF
    A Short Dig - NW-DA8O42CFF
    edited June 2013
    Thank you very much Caustic8 :D I will most certainly return the favor Caustic. Playing it now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
  • oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Almost caught up on my list (finally), and this one sounds interesting so I'll add it to the list. Should get to it in the next day or two. My quest details are in sig.
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Code: NW-DJ5BFT52F
    Author: @oortexplorer
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!
    edited June 2013
    Hey Caustic8, I played your quest and got to say I thought the story was great. Creating Mine environments is great because no one really does it, even though the foundry editor has a plethora of details that revolve around it. So good job on that. Also, Duergar. I dont see very many people use Duergar mobs so that was a nice change of pace. The story was great too and I always liked the idea of dwarves uncovering the secrets of the Underdark through careless digging. Dwarves... they always dig too deep.

All in all I think it was fun a fun quest. :P

@oortexplorer, I will hopefully get to it tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    @oortexplorer - I really enjoyed your quest and the story line revolving around Megan's suitors. Great job on the dialogue and choices. I was happy to help her realize where her heart was leading her :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    edited June 2013
    Shameless bump.

Take 20 minutes to leave my quest a review and throw me your quests to review when I get home from work tonight :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
This discussion has been closed.