test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I NEED to NEED roll simply because i CAN!!!!

chadblodgettchadblodgett Member Posts: 49 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I play on the Dragon server and this kind of behavior is ABSOLUTELY rampant. in just about every single PUG group I have joined there is at least one person in the group who need rolls everything.

When I take offence to it, the first argument I hear is that "everything is unidentified so we have to roll need".....here's a big hint .....EVEN UNIDENTIFIED ITEMS DISPLAY CLASS RESTRICTIONS on their tool-tips if you actually take the time to look. So that excuse does NOT hold water. I cant even begin to count how many times I have watched someone "need" roll an unidentified item that had a class restriction on it simply because they could not be bothered to examine the item they rolled on before doing so. And yes, I realize that there are some items (mainly green and white jewelry and belt items) that are "universal" but even still, I personally consider it bad form to 'need' roll on a green item (without asking the groups permission first), and so do most other players I would think.

Now on to my suggestions for how to fix this FUBAR mess of a loot system.

1. Never...ever..allow a "need" roll on class redistricted items (regardless of item quality) not for the players class.

2. Make unidentified items with class restrictions show up with red icon overlays so that it is more readily apparent that it is, in fact, a class restricted item. I.E. make whats already in use brighter and bolder.

3. Make all dungeon loot that is "blue" quality or better "Bind on Acquire" so that the items can not be sold on the AH for a profit. At most it can be sold to a vendor for a few copper.

Number 1 removes the ability to "Ninja" the loot while in the dungeon, Number 3 removes the incentive for doing so, and Number 2 just makes it easier for the lazy folks who don't bother to check tool-tips before rolling.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
Post edited by chadblodgett on

Comments

• Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Number 2 is already a thing, isn't it? Items that you can't use show up red. Right?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    in most cases yes, but I still see it happening
  • Options
    lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2013
    I have been running dungeons with three other people the past two weeks and had a funny situation the other day. We queue up for a dungeon as a group and got a random wizard in our group. Well, we were around halfway through the dungeon when a class blue dropped that my rogue friend rolled need on because her current equipment needed some upgrading and this was in a t1 dungeon. The wizard rolled need and won it and our rogue was a little mad that he did it, understandable. Later on in the dungeon a purple wizard item dropped of a boss so she decided to roll need and she won it. That`s when the **** hit the fan and the wizard threw a fit that she rolled need on a class item. We told him he did it to her and if he wants to play that way that we could to. He was so mad he actually refused to help anymore in the dungeon and told us to kick him if we felt he was wrong. So we left the dungeon.

I find it really ironic that people who need on stuff they can`t use get really upset when they lose on their own class gear. I`m willing to bet in the future he will be more hesitant on need rolling on stuff he can`t use to avoid that situation again.
  • Options
    phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    or have pty lead change loot to round robin.....
  • Options
    not1nameleftnot1nameleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If things were bind on pick up, you couldn't sell them on the AH and then people wouldn't buy Zen to exchange for diamonds to buy the loots.

Best you can hope for is only need on stuff you can use but then people will be on here moaning about dou che bags needing on gear when they are already wearing the item or have one that is better.

Personally I just wait and see which way the wind is blowing if someone is needing and the item isn't for them I will also need and often if I win I will give it to the person who actually needs it.

I know there are a lot of arseholes out there but you do get decent groups in Pugs, I had one today and everynoe greeded respectfully if they couldn't use the item but even this opens the way for someone to win everything just because they are the right class.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If things were bind on pick up, you couldn't sell them on the AH and then people wouldn't buy Zen to exchange for diamonds to buy the loots.

Best you can hope for is only need on stuff you can use but then people will be on here moaning about dou che bags needing on gear when they are already wearing the item or have one that is better.

Personally I just wait and see which way the wind is blowing if someone is needing and the item isn't for them I will also need and often if I win I will give it to the person who actually needs it.

I know there are a lot of arseholes out there but you do get decent groups in Pugs, I had one today and everynoe greeded respectfully if they couldn't use the item but even this opens the way for someone to win everything just because they are the right class.

That's where the BoP on Need Roll suggestion comes in.

Everytime someone need rolls a window pop up asking to make sure because it will be BOP pops up.

Simple.

IMO I'd rather have the last boss of dungeons drop gear for EVERYONE like delve chest, then make dungeon delve event have some other bonus.

Remove gear from the previous bosses and give them more seals, then maybe put more gear choices in the seal vendors.

Would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I do the same thing as well, when I am party lead in PUGS I also make it abundantly clear that I will in fact kick anyone I catch ninja looting non class items. one of the other bigggest problems that just further compounds the problem is that currently the party leader is the only one who can kick someone from a group.....but what happens when the ninja looter IS the party leader???....the rest of the party either has to suck it up and roll need on everything and hope for the best, or bail on the group. They need to implement a vote-kicking system for groups to help combat this as well.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand the big focus on loot. If you had every item in the game, would you still play? Do you find fun in playing Chess with someone who can only play Checkers? What is the goal or means to this end? Are you trying to make some cash on the side?
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I need roll on Icons because my Ioun Stone needs <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    asashiroasashiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you limit need to required class then you really have to make need set the item to bind on acquire. Otherwise you still get the people that will need on their class items just to sell them.
  • Options
    mamatankmamatank Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    It's pretty hard to legislate fairness and have such a casual group finder system in the same game.

What I do is accept that if I use the group finder, any gear I get is a nice bonus. Of course I still play by the unwritten MMORPG loot rules of rolling need on stuff that is for my class and greed on stuff that isn't, but I can still sell for money. I do not expect the random internet strangers who used the queue to join my dungeon to follow those same rules.

If I'm serious about getting gear for myself, I preform a group with as many friends as possible and come to a clear consensus about how loot will be handled before the drops start.
  • Options
    b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stupid whiney generation that thinks everyone has an honor code...god its already proven no one follows it anymore, why can they not accept it and use the freaking search option.

Pro-tip: Don't roll open PUG. No, not the shift+# option. The don't invite strangers and expect them to follow your code of ethics. Its like asking a vegan to eat meat.

Pro-tip: Get more friends, don't casual with the slumming pack. Its obvious a lack of social skill that is the problem, not the system. You know for a fact how the system works, but you still whine about it when it pops up in your face. And you let a video game bother you so much...better off uninstalling the game.

Its better to just give two options - roll and pass. No greed, no need. Everyone has the same chance (Back in 99 with EQ1, we only had /random 1-100 and it was honor to just loot it, freaking pansies the lot of you relying on loot dropping mechanics to your bag for security reasons) and if you can use it but lose it...then your barter or social skills need to be improved. Game either needs the roll or not roll...or just drop tokens, which is a neutral system because EVERYONE GETS THE SAME FEW FREAKING TOKENS AT THE END OF THE INSTANCE! Why not get 10? BANG! No *****whine required, you get the same thing as everyone else and just turn it in to the merchant for an item you want, then you sell on the AH if you don't need. Remember, TOKEN LOOT SYSTEM IS NEUTRAL AS EVERYONE GETS THEM!
  • Options
    markrush1978markrush1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Items you can't use shouldn't be allowed to be roll as '' need ''. Bottom line !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I don't even bother with greens or blues. I'll greed em, because I need potion money. But I'm not gonna flip.
    If it's an enchant or a purple though, I try to save my roll selection until I see what the rest of the party is doing. Need on Enchants is pretty common. As is Universal Purple Need.

I figure, if nothing else, should I happen to win a purple I can't use, I'm a people pleaser and could easily be convinced to give it to someone if they're upset.
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Join a big guild and play with those guys and their/your friends.... problem solved.
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am happy to state that the few groups I have run with so far that were PUGS we was all pretty good on not NEEDing everything but I hear tell its pretty bad as you get up in tier lvl. I still think they just need to make it so that everything you NEED on is auto Bind on Pickup.
  • Options
    zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Meh I run with friends or guild.. We roll need on enchants (only out of habit from pugging before), I personally pass on all green/blue as do most of the ppl I run with. And we GREED on all purples, and nobody cries if someone gets a class item that doesn't match them.

The need on class rolling is a stupid unfair system. So if I as a GF run a dungeon 10 times and nothing but Wizard loot drops, in your minds you think I deserve no chance to get any of those purples? Get real - anyone can make use of w/e class item it is to help further their character by selling it if its the wrong class item.

The FAIR method is EVERYONE having an EQUAL chance at rolling for every purple that drops. Period.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    WoW had this issue since it's release in 2005 so the developers developed a very ingenuine system. When you roll NEED the item automatically becomes bound to your character. While GREED rolls will still retain the BoE state of the item. But obviously the devs have their work cut out for them to make this system.
  • Options
    bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I play on the Dragon server and this kind of behavior is ABSOLUTELY rampant. in just about every single PUG group I have joined there is at least one person in the group who need rolls everything.

When I take offence to it, the first argument I hear is that "everything is unidentified so we have to roll need".....here's a big hint .....EVEN UNIDENTIFIED ITEMS DISPLAY CLASS RESTRICTIONS on their tool-tips if you actually take the time to look. So that excuse does NOT hold water. I cant even begin to count how many times I have watched someone "need" roll an unidentified item that had a class restriction on it simply because they could not be bothered to examine the item they rolled on before doing so. And yes, I realize that there are some items (mainly green and white jewelry and belt items) that are "universal" but even still, I personally consider it bad form to 'need' roll on a green item (without asking the groups permission first), and so do most other players I would think.

Now on to my suggestions for how to fix this FUBAR mess of a loot system.

1. Never...ever..allow a "need" roll on class redistricted items (regardless of item quality) not for the players class.

2. Make unidentified items with class restrictions show up with red icon overlays so that it is more readily apparent that it is, in fact, a class restricted item. I.E. make whats already in use brighter and bolder.

3. Make all dungeon loot that is "blue" quality or better "Bind on Acquire" so that the items can not be sold on the AH for a profit. At most it can be sold to a vendor for a few copper.

Number 1 removes the ability to "Ninja" the loot while in the dungeon, Number 3 removes the incentive for doing so, and Number 2 just makes it easier for the lazy folks who don't bother to check tool-tips before rolling.
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

This post is pointless because of 2 reasons.

1. Cryptic has stated multiple times that they are revamping the party loot system.

2. Why the heck do you think its a good idea for things blue or higher to be BoP...
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic will be altering the need/greed/pass system in the very near future, which will be to the delight of many.

Read about it here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=896631

As some in this thread have pointed out directly and indirectly, joining a good guild eliminates ninja looting from your life... yet another great reason to join a good guild!

To find a guild that matches your play style/interests visit the Guild Recruitment section of our forums.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
This discussion has been closed.