What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWFs LF Purpose in life....er..I mean the game

2»

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hexagar wrote: »
    Is there a class balance on the works? Just wondering cause i couldn't find anything about
    That in the forums.

Allegedly, some time soon. Then again just check how quickly and well they have managed to fix other issues, and draw your own conclusions.....

If you are thinking of playing a GWF because you hope it will be balanced enough by the time you get there that that you won't get kicked from endgame groups, then it is not worth the risk. A Dev actually said AFTER the GWF was nerfed that he felt that they were still too strong. I kid you not.........
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Gwf cannot be kicked , the character file is to huge for a server to drop it out of an instance, i kid u not.
    Raw power i tell u moarr powerrr....

(but seriuesly other then single target dps GWF are in a good spot)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • shogunkiller1shogunkiller1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a GWF that has just passed his 42th level and I still have major problems in the Ebon Downs (lvl 38 map). The cleric aid is of no use since al those bloody undead's hoard her first. It really made me frustrated and I fear the rest of the levels.
  • hexagarhexagar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Allegedly, some time soon. Then again just check how quickly and well they have managed to fix other issues, and draw your own conclusions.....

If you are thinking of playing a GWF because you hope it will be balanced enough by the time you get there that that you won't get kicked from endgame groups, then it is not worth the risk. A Dev actually said AFTER the GWF was nerfed that he felt that they were still too strong. I kid you not.........

I already have a lVl 60 GWF (9600 gs ) but i m not gonna touch the game again till a proper balance patch releases.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a GWF that has just passed his 42th level and I still have major problems in the Ebon Downs (lvl 38 map). The cleric aid is of no use since al those bloody undead's hoard her first. It really made me frustrated and I fear the rest of the levels.

Hate to say this but it gets worse........

I just hit 60 on my GWF and am goign to try to get some gear to see if that helps (assuming I don't get instant kicked from groups ofc), but so far it is so much harder than any other class its not funny. Even the GF does about as much damage and has much better survivability (although I haven't played my GF since the recent 'Block hotfix'...)
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I dont understand some of this, on icespire peak(i think its called that) i just pulled 10/20 mobs all together and then massacred them together, and im not even watching my gear, i just play and use what i find, no trade no ah just drops etc... (im waiting till lvl 60 to exualy focus on gear doesnt seem to mather at all pre lvl 60)
    I dont understand how u get smashed at lvl 42?...
    i think at that lvl i was running with smackdown/roar/restoring strike/ WMS /sure strike

Just going WMS + roar + unstopable then smackdown and restoring on elite's and slam for little buggers...everything just melted pretty much...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • beaverboiiibeaverboiii Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dunno about other GWF's, but whenever I'm doing a skrimish or a dungeon, at the end of it, I most of the time find myself either in first or second place in the damage/kill score charts. I'm currently lvl 48.
    And maybe I'm in the right shard, cause I have NEVER experienced being kicked out of a PUG, just beacuse I'm a GWF.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A good GWF is all in the build. And that said there is no 'one true build', but at least a few select powers and feats any good GWF should have. My GWF is lvl 53 (currently, though I have lvl 60 DC/TR/CW), but I only need to use potions when my healer companion dies and I'm fighting multiple elites or bosses (which is fairly often as she can draw more aggro then me). My build focuses on AoE with some backup single hit encounters (Restorative Strike & Indomitable Battle Strike).

* You have to realize once you have built up some determination you pop that for the extra speed and damage reduction.
    * You don't stand in the big red circles though anymore than you do as any other class.
    * Use life steal and regen bearing items. Passive and Active healing are your friends.
    * Use dailies whenever you can. I can build up to and use a daily 2, 3, or 4 times during a questline boss fight.
    * Critical hits & armor penetration are your friends.

Only one fight in the entire questline caused me serious issues and that was the elite adds for the hound boss in the icespire peaks right before you finish. I even soloed Skymir the giant with less problems and he is a boss as well.

Alot of the hate for GWF's from certain corners comes from people who don't focus on the classes strengths and don't understand what they are good at.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do yourself a favor and do what I did, delete the GWF and be happier for it.
  • drpallisadedrpallisade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and do what I did, delete the GWF and be happier for it.

No I like playing the class.
    Castle Dunsmere
  • voltz46738voltz46738 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    No I like playing the class.

<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor excuse. GWF have there ups and downs but can easily be Top 1-2 in DPS in T2. Takes time and knowing the class well to perform in heroics. Most people that play the game want the easy button and **** handed to them for free.
  • aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The GWF feels like it is lacking if only because you essentially HAVE to do something specific to make it awesome and this specific thing is not obvious. TR's are great because again you can build it essentially how you want it but over all no matter what you do it does good. Same thing with the others.

I won't say everything is perfect, because it isn't, but the GWF starts off okay...and sorta stays at that. At no point with the GWF did I sudden become "Awesome" unlike with the TR, CW, ect. They eventually will reach a point where "Hey, I can kick *** now!" the GWF is sorta always just "Meh, I kill stuff okay..."

The GWF should be more AOE focused IMO. I was surprised that like...all but one of their encounters are single target damage. And with the GWF's at-wills, at least the ones worth a ****, they get weaker after each hit until it starts doing no damage, I've had this happen to me and it somewhat forces you to always alternate your at-wills.

The GWF Doesn't outright suck, but it isn't useful enough to be used over another class such as a GF or a TR. I have a level 60 GWF, full imposing armor set, it does great in taking hits and staying alive, I can sorta off-tank with it but I have to use POTs out the *** unless we have a cleric. But if we have a cleric, I can slap on my damage armor parts and hurt the bad guys...a little bit more.

Just something about the GWF's damage output seems...wrong, it isn't competing, it isn't useful. IMO the TR should be on the boss, GF should be holding boss aggro, GWF should be the guy that holds aggro on the ADS and with a CW takes out the ADS with Cleric dropping heals and those blue shields of awesomeness.
  • xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    I currently have a 60 GWF in PVP Gear (GS 8400 ish) and have him parked at the moment, getting in T2 groups can be difficult, especially ones that go all the way, but that's another topic.

My take on GWF. One of the main things I found was that when I switched to focusing on AOE damage you can dish out a ton of damage. They feel like they scale a lot better with gear, at 60 as soon as I started getting some PVP gear I noticed massive improvements in my survivability and damage. One of the key things I've found with GWF is if you can get one of your stuns on a target you can do some horrific damage to them.

Flourish > Takedown > Battle Strike

That combo right there is nasty! The problem is landing it.

Overall I think the GWF should have his aggro generation increased significantly in PVE to make him a worthy off tank. I like the role of tanking the little guys off the rest of the team while a GF tanks the big guys. The At-Will's definitely need looking at in terms of damage, an increase would be good. Maybe look at reducing the mitigation from hitting multiple targets for AOE damage? and last but not least maybe a Feat or even a set bonus on PVP gear to generate stamina when CC'd or something. This way it would stop the GWF being kited so horrifically. A good CW won't let you touch him.
  • drpallisadedrpallisade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    voltz46738 wrote: »
    <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor excuse. GWF have there ups and downs but can easily be Top 1-2 in DPS in T2. Takes time and knowing the class well to perform in heroics. Most people that play the game want the easy button and **** handed to them for free.

HEHEHE so I like playing the class is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor excuse for wanting to continue playing it ?

Wake up son.

I will play whatever class I want to play no matter how much it seems to annoy you and other people. I have never admitted it was perfect but it is also not as bad as people make out to be.
    Castle Dunsmere
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's cute man and it means that you've never played with a good GWF before.

Isn't that exactly what he said?

"I've never seen a rogue lose to a GWF in dps, so you must be doing someting the others aren't."
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    I solo'd for the most part, my GWF to 60 in a coupl of weeks. Every time I ran into something that seemed impossible, it just became a matter of drinking more pots, hit and run tactics, and bouncing my cleric companion (raising her to let her get trash aggro).

I haven't done any lvl 60 pvp; mainly because I know I am undergeared for it. So I do not know what it would be like, however I could imagine the difficulty due to how short a GWF's sprint is.

I do think GWF could use a small boost to dps with their AoE attacks, or something to generate more aggro with them.
  • aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The common thing I'm seeing now is people want a boost to the GWF's AoE attacks, which they only have 5. Reaping Strike, Weapon Master Strike, Wicked Strike, and Roar. 4 of which are at-wills, the two most noteworthy being WMS and WS, which both lose damage after each hit.

The at-wills need either a buff to overall damage so they are worth using. But IMO the GWF should have some encounters that do AoE damage besides Roar which...is just so...weak. Sure Roar pushes bad guys back but how often is that actually useful for a GWF who is supposed to be in the blue shield, smashing groups of enemies.

GWF should be Pull ADS to it, buff himself to survive, and smash the group while keeping them ontop of him.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    The common thing I'm seeing now is people want a boost to the GWF's AoE attacks, which they only have 5. Reaping Strike, Weapon Master Strike, Wicked Strike, and Roar. 4 of which are at-wills, the two most noteworthy being WMS and WS, which both lose damage after each hit.

The at-wills need either a buff to overall damage so they are worth using. But IMO the GWF should have some encounters that do AoE damage besides Roar which...is just so...weak. Sure Roar pushes bad guys back but how often is that actually useful for a GWF who is supposed to be in the blue shield, smashing groups of enemies.

GWF should be Pull ADS to it, buff himself to survive, and smash the group while keeping them ontop of him.

Actually GWF's have two other AoE encounter powers: Not So Fast & Punishing Charge. Though along with roar each has issues. Not So Fast should root rather than slow (to keep mobs near you) and Punishing Charge should take Roars knockback. Roar should be for building more determination and generating threat. Realistically those three with the tweaks I mentioned would let you dive into a group of adds, root them in place, Roar them to build determination, You would go to town on them in unstoppable, and lastly you'd hit them with punishing charge to throw them away.

As it stands, for a AoE build, you use at-wills to wittle everything down (@ 53 a wicked strike form me is over 900 damage and nearly 2k if I crit) and then pound them with IBS or restorative strike and NSF as a debuff.