test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Servers are running out of Astral Diamonds.

2»

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaasdoek wrote: »
    Some of you seem to miss the point here. And if you are not good with simple math, i understand then.

Give you a short example.

Every character in game is allowed to generate 24k AD. This is the maximum amount of Astral Diamonds that can enter the economy every day per character.

However, As of today (and today is just of many), i already made over 300k AD vanish into thin air due the Auction House cuts. This means that on the long run (and it will not be that long) the amount of Astral Diamonds leaving the economy will be greater than the amount incoming.

Not only does the Auction House causes an Astral Diamond drain. But once the new Paths will be introduced next month and people having all their gear worked on and start working on gems/enhancements then this problem will only accelerate. Taking out a normal enhancement costs 234k or something and respeccing FEATS ONLY costs around 160k? These Astral Diamonds vanish into thin air as well.

My point is that currently more Astral Diamonds are leaving the economy than entering it. It takes 42 days to accumlate 1 million Astral Diamonds normally and i don't even think anyone will get it within 42, because frankly i only reached my 24k cap once in my Neverwinter lifetime and that was during the double AD weekend.

The reason why people are selling and buying items for millions is because of the Guardian and Founder packs, but soon all of that will just vanish due the Astral Diamonds sinks.

Actually, you seem to be missing the point here. And if you're not good with simple logic, I understand then.

Your experience is not universal. Only a tiny percentage of the player-base is trading millions of AD through the AH daily. Only a tiny percentage are using the feat-respect or unsocketing enhancements. It doesn't matter what you do if tens of thousands of other players are not taking AD out of the economy.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So, i am actually not sure why people are so silent about this. Or do you all not notice?

Astral Diamonds aren't "running out." with the exploits fixed the value of astral diamonds are continuing to go up. Instead of just throwing away astral diamonds at everything people are being more conservative about them.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    I am assuming he picked 150 because other people have said that diamonds in Star Trek Online (another Cryptic game that I personally have never tried) had diamonds normalize around 150 per Zen.

Considering that 1 Zen is only 1 penny it should only be a matter of time before people realize that the time it takes to earn 400 diamonds is worth more to them than 1 cent. Founders got so many diamonds so effortlessly that they did not value them (and the AH exploit had the same effect), but once people start actually looking at the effort it takes to earn diamonds they will probably stop selling them so cheaply.

Actually, the STO currency (Dilithium) normalized at around 90/Zen. It's up to ~130/Zen right now, partly because Cryptic introduced an event that granted mass quantities of Dilithium, and partly because the launch of the STO expansion has created additional demand for Zen as there are new ships to buy.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of you seem to miss the point here. And if you are not good with simple math, i understand then.

Every character in game is allowed to generate 24k AD. This is the maximum amount of Astral Diamonds that can enter the economy every day per character.

However, As of today (and today is just of many), i already made over 300k AD vanish into thin air due the Auction House cuts. This means that on the long run (and it will not be that long) the amount of Astral Diamonds leaving the economy will be greater than the amount incoming.

Not only does the Auction House causes an Astral Diamond drain. But once the new Paths will be introduced next month and people having all their gear worked on and start working on gems/enhancements then this problem will only accelerate. Taking out a normal enhancement costs 234k or something and respeccing FEATS ONLY costs around 160k? These Astral Diamonds vanish into thin air as well.

My point is that currently more Astral Diamonds are leaving the economy than entering it. It takes 42 days to accumlate 1 million Astral Diamonds normally and i don't even think anyone will get it within 42, because frankly i only reached my 24k cap once in my Neverwinter lifetime and that was during the double AD weekend.

The reason why people are selling and buying items for millions is because of the Guardian and Founder packs, but soon all of that will just vanish due the Astral Diamonds sinks.

This is correct(Jeweled Idols being the only thing I would mention but I won't quibble.) in its analysis as far as AD leaving the economy. There are enough AD sinks in this game to cause AD to become at a premium, but deflation of cost of items as more of them enter the economy through farming will also occur.

It is, however, likely that people as they level leadership to 20 will be able to get to the limit with 3x of the L20 leadership quest, with 6 heroes and the dailies, but that won't be everyone on the server who is spending AD in the AH by any means.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Actually, you seem to be missing the point here. And if you're not good with simple logic, I understand then.

Your experience is not universal. Only a tiny percentage of the player-base is trading millions of AD through the AH daily. Only a tiny percentage are using the feat-respect or unsocketing enhancements. It doesn't matter what you do if tens of thousands of other players are not taking AD out of the economy.

You base this on your own experience? Because who is going to sell you the greater vorpal enhancement for gold? Everyone has to deal with the AH.

EDIT: Everything you quoted is based on logic :s
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can only hope that you are correct and diamonds are being lost faster than they are being created (that is not true for me personally but I do hope it is true on average). If that is the case all that means is that prices will come down. What many of us have been complaining about from the beginning is that a beautiful new MMO economy (which is normally a great place to play because everything is affordable) was ruined on day one because of the millions of AD that founders had without putting any in-game effort into earning them. As long as the average number of diamonds lost is greater than those created prices will start to come down on everything. Eventually the amount of diamonds created will equal the number destroyed and prices will normalize.

As you pointed out, it takes 42 days to earn 1 million AD. With that in mind, are the prices we see on equipment for 1 million+ AD really reasonable? Of course not. Those prices are based on people that did not work in-game for their AD. As the supply of AD goes down the prices will become reasonable. The question is, "How many days of farming the maximum amount of AD possible is that piece of gear worth?" Considering what a pain it is to actually get 24k AD in a single day, even 10 days of AD is a lot of work and that is only 240k AD. Prices are way too high and thankfully, we may finally see them drop soon.

The servers are not running out of AD, they are finally getting closer to having a normal level of them where the price of an item might actually start to be based on the number of days it takes to earn that many AD.
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Before breakfast today I caused 400k AD to leave the economy, I do this on a daily basis and have for at least the last 3 weeks, I would like to think that my experience is not unique seeing as at least several dozen people doing activities similar to mine and others for AH items. Even if every player was maxing out their daily AD it would take only .6% of the NW population doing trading on the level I'm doing trading to cause AD to leave at a higher rate than its coming in. Considering the fact that I sold 20 keys two days ago in less than 30 minutes to at least a dozen different people I think that the amount of people doing AD trading at that level is probably at least a half of a percent which would be 50 people out of every 10k, nevermind the fact that most people probably are at most getting barely over half way to their 24k refinement limit(which would make the number 25 out of every 10k players.)
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Actually, the STO currency (Dilithium) normalized at around 90/Zen. It's up to ~130/Zen right now, partly because Cryptic introduced an event that granted mass quantities of Dilithium, and partly because the launch of the STO expansion has created additional demand for Zen as there are new ships to buy.

Good to know. I was just quoting what I read a couple times in a thread a few weeks ago (though for all I know both times were posted by the same person). I am curious, is the amount of Dilithium you can earn a day capped like in Neverwinter? If so, what is the cap? If it is not capped, what is a reasonable amount of Dilithium for a person to earn in a day?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    teepussi wrote: »
    But how low the people holding Zen are willing to go? You look 1000 Zen bags on AH they still kept at least last time i saw 400k minimum price, how many will be ready to trade their Zen for say 200 AD? I sure as hell wouldnt, there must be break point when Zen becomes the rarity.

Using the 200 AD per Zen as an example, people that would be willing to sell 1 Zen for 200 AD are people that feel the effort to earn 24k AD is more valuable to them than $1.20 (since at that exchange rate you can get 24k AD for 120 Zen). Chances are there are plenty of people that value their time more than they value $1.20. It will take some time to get there of course because people are used to getting so many AD per Zen because the people selling the AD were not earning it in-game. Eventually both the Zen buyers and the Zen sellers will start to realize just how valuable AD truly are.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Using the 200 AD per Zen as an example, people that would be willing to sell 1 Zen for 200 AD are people that feel the effort to earn 24k AD is more valuable to them than $1.20 (since at that exchange rate you can get 24k AD for 120 Zen). Chances are there are plenty of people that value their time more than they value $1.20. It will take some time to get there of course because people are used to getting so many AD per Zen because the people selling the AD were not earning it in-game. Eventually both the Zen buyers and the Zen sellers will start to realize just how valuable AD truly are.

This thread is pretty good, a lot better than the other economy threads I've seen. One thing I would add to this insightful post is that we already saw this with gold. A lot of people were QQing about gold being useless in this game, there's nothing to spend it on etc. etc. But then a large number of people started doing epic dungeons, low and behold, gold is useful, you need it to buy pots and you need it to buy injury kits(the amount depending on the dungeon). Now you see people left and right in protector's enclave zone chat trying to get gold for keys, or trying to use gold to buy keys. Now some of this is because gold can be traded and AD cannot, but if gold wasn't useful in its own right people would certainly just be going to the AH to sell their keys, its not like there is a shortage(maybe not to buy them because they may not have AD but certainly to sell them for AD instead of gold if they didn't need gold.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Good to know. I was just quoting what I read a couple times in a thread a few weeks ago (though for all I know both times were posted by the same person). I am curious, is the amount of Dilithium you can earn a day capped like in Neverwinter? If so, what is the cap? If it is not capped, what is a reasonable amount of Dilithium for a person to earn in a day?

The STO cap is 8k, it's quite easy to reach - much easier than 24k is in NW. It's not uncommon for people to cap multiple characters per day.

In STO the devs have spoken quite openly that their target is 480 Dilithium/15 minutes of play. It seems like the target for NW is 1000 AD/15 minutes looking at the Dailies, so roughly twice the rate as in STO.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013

24k AD isn't the limit of AD introduced or produced. It is the limit on rough to refined. You can only take 24k rough and refine them. Any other source of refined doesn't count towards that limit. If someone opened 10 lockboxes they could easily add 200k into the pool immediately.

As AD becomes more scarce people won't be so flippant with how it's spent or traded. Right now we're still in a bubble.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well the tax on the AH is pretty heavy 10% plus the initial posting fee. Plus all the little AD sinks like Identification scrolls. Most lvl 60 people don't even bothered ID'ing the lvl 60 greens. At lvl 60 it cost 2500 AD for 20 ID scrolls. And at most you can earn about 12K per day of activity (4K for pvp, 4K for daily dungeons, 4K for foundry barring those ill-timed dungeon delves and skirmish).
    That's not heavy at all; DDO has a what, 30% fee, and the game never runs out of currency.

12K isn't the most either, there's still AD from crafting, AD from skirmishes, and AD from idols in the lockboxes.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    If someone opened 10 lockboxes they could easily add 200k into the pool immediately.

Easily? I opened about seventy lockboxes and I got eight or nine idols. 200k for 10 boxes would mean an idol in every second box.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    That's not heavy at all; DDO has a what, 30% fee, and the game never runs out of currency.

12K isn't the most either, there's still AD from crafting, AD from skirmishes, and AD from idols in the lockboxes.

What you say is not true.

First of all, skirmish, daily and professions. it's 24k AD MAX every day. You can't refine more than 24k AD. Yes you can have over 1 billion Rough Astral Diamonds, but you can't use that as currency.

As for the Idols. I have opened at least 40 lock boxes and only got 6 Idols. Now let's face the facts. Those boxes were opened in a timespan of 4 weeks. It equals 240k AD. However i made at least over 2 mil vanish in these 4 weeks.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What you say is not true.

First of all, skirmish, daily and professions. it's 24k AD MAX every day. You can't refine more than 24k AD. Yes you can have over 1 billion Rough Astral Diamonds, but you can't use that as currency.

As for the Idols. I have opened at least 40 lock boxes and only got 6 Idols. Now let's face the facts. Those boxes were opened in a timespan of 4 weeks. It equals 240k AD. However i made at least over 2 mil vanish in these 4 weeks.

have you tried to pug the level 60 skirmish?

i've been 60 since a day before release and have only been able to finish it once in a pug.

i find it a lot harder..and by a lot i mean A LOT...to hit the 24k cap than to hit the 8k cap in sto, so much so that i can hit that cap on my fed and klingon captains in about 2 hours of total gameplay (1 hr on klingon cause they have easy mode patrol, 2 on the fed - both have another years worth of daily mining claims which is 5k dil in about 10 minutes) but i haev never hit the cap in nw on raw ad.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »

i've been 60 since a day before release and have only been able to finish it once in a pug.

i find it a lot harder..and by a lot i mean A LOT...to hit the 24k cap than to hit the 8k cap in sto, so much so that i can hit that cap on my fed and klingon captains in about 2 hours of total gameplay (1 hr on klingon cause they have easy mode patrol, 2 on the fed - both have another years worth of daily mining claims which is 5k dil in about 10 minutes) but i haev never hit the cap in nw on raw ad.

Indeed, and this is why (even though rough earning rates are 2x what they are in STO), I think that the eventual exchange rate will be quite low.

Perhaps they are planning to add more sources of AD in the future, but at the moment it's much much harder to gain AD in NW than Dilithium in STO.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Indeed, and this is why (even though rough earning rates are 2x what they are in STO), I think that the eventual exchange rate will be quite low.

Perhaps they are planning to add more sources of AD in the future, but at the moment it's much much harder to gain AD in NW than Dilithium in STO.

yep. harder unless you find some great stuff to sell in dungeons on the ah. but eventually everyone will be doing that, driving prices down.

i mean when they finally added plasmonic leech to the fed side i snagged one for one milion ec. a drop in the bucket considering the 2 billion made when they added jhas to some doff pack for a few days.

however, ec is not dilithium.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yep. harder unless you find some great stuff to sell in dungeons on the ah. but eventually everyone will be doing that, driving prices down.

i mean when they finally added plasmonic leech to the fed side i snagged one for one milion ec. a drop in the bucket considering the 2 billion made when they added jhas to some doff pack for a few days.

however, ec is not dilithium.

They did a lot better with Gold than EC, I think. Even though initially people thought Gold was worthless, it seems to have some value now.

Cryptic ought to put in a Gold:AD exchange, though. That way we'd get rid of all the spamming for Gold trades. (I don't think a Gold AH makes sense - AH's in two different currencies are too confusing.)

But back on topic, I think the OP forgets that as the AD supply is reduced (if, indeed, it is reduced), the AD:Zen ratio will come down and prices on the AH will come down. That, in turn, will reduce the rate at which AD leaves the economy. No one will pay 160k for a feat respec if AD is at 100:1 Zen, because then a full respec would only cost 60k. No one will pay 240k to unsocket an enchantment if a replacement can be bought from the AH for less. And as prices reduce on the AH, the amount taken as the AH cut also decreases.

I think we're a long way from being able to say that there's a problem on the horizon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I never said it was easy. Infact, i said that i only once reached the cap, and that was during the Astral Diamond double weekend. I usually generate 8-10k AD per day if i do my PvP daily.

As for the Skirmish. I never even done a level 60 Skirmish. Never got a queue for it.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    A picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand on where the OP appears to be headed:

alex_jones_money2-620x412.jpg

the Government is buying all the AD!!
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Not if there's quantitative easing :o
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    This is the expected behavior and trend. I imagine it will gravitate to 150:1 and then spike only when there is a lot of new Zen store stuff.

new Zen store stuff that is not a simple copy/paste of a companion/mount we can already get. only with a new skin.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So, i am actually not sure why people are so silent about this. Or do you all not notice?

Can't say I have. I make more and more astral every day, if I convert more than 4000 or so rough astral a day that would astonish me, and nobody I know seems to be suffering a money pinch.

If there is any basis behind this I'd like to hear it as I think it would be interesting to read about.