test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I have seen the light - and it is a GF played well

2»

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My pet tank will get aggro over most GFs. It's using lunging strike and crunching strike. This works extremely well to cover my cleric ***; when i use this pet i don't have to be worried about the toughest NPC(s). It's funny in dungeons to see my pet generating more aggro than most GFs - and more aggro than me, while most GFs keep complaining about supposedly broken aggro mechanics.
  • gummibear2gummibear2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    My pet tank will get aggro over most GFs. It's using lunging strike and crunching strike. This works extremely well to cover my cleric ***; when i use this pet i don't have to be worried about the toughest NPC(s). It's funny in dungeons to see my pet generating more aggro than most GFs - and more aggro than me, while most GFs keep complaining about supposedly broken aggro mechanics.
    And yet there will be time where your stupid tank companion will be the cause of a wipe, since it dont care at all about what way the mobsd it tanks are facing potentionally, exposing everyone to unneeded cleaves, a GF could have prevented from hitting anyone but his own block
  • dadogydadogy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I regularly dungeon with a GF who's niche is add control and its so much better with him there to keep adds off me, its much more stress and effort when its a different tank who doesn't care about adds.

Bad GF's tank bosses and stand in bad with the damage reflection spec to up their dps.
    Good GF's leave the boss alone and do everything they can to control the rediculous amount of adds boss fights throw at you while mitigating as much damage as possible.

From what I've seen a GWF can also perform this role pretty well, however most of them dont even seem to try.

'Tanks' are for adds, not for bosses :)
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teemoor wrote: »
    So what's the point of tanking a boss? And noone can tank adds without CC. Noone. You'll get swarmed.

The Gray Wolf boss is pretty nasty and hits hard even on non-circle attacks. Mad Dragon's gotta be kept away from the party, or it'll get obliterated quite quickly as well. Besides, it's more of an issue of keeping the boss off the party while the rest deal with the adds. Someone's gotta do it, it's much harder otherwise.
  • largermidgetlargermidget Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My opinion on the matter.

GF are currently useless for Pve. They really struggle to hold threat and they do very bad dps. Basically you are gimping your party by taking a GF or a GWF currently. The TR can pull trash with smoke bomb and the TR can tank the boss with it's superior movement/dodge and distance closing abilities. On Frozen Heart boss I can literally take 0 damage the whole fight by using dodge/teleport and do 4 times the damage of a GF or GWF, so why bother taking either? (same goes for every other boss i've seen).

It's a shame as i'm sure that they are some great players that got unlucky with their chosen class, but unless buffs/changes are given you will lose these players very shortly when they get fed up of being kicked from parties simply because of their chosen class.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kudos to the people trying to share what they do to make their class work. I reckon it can be hard sometimes to explain what you do that works, and then get begruntled because it's not the way they want it to work.

But please keep it coming, enlightenment to the masses and all that ;)
  • e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Pre 60 GF's should be on Boss.

60 GF's should be on boss if the situation requires. Such as CN with a balanced group.

But literally the post where someone explained how to let GF's do their job properly isn't exactly some NEW and UNKNOWN but really that's the point where everyone knows DPS = Threat. But at the moment Healing just grabs way too much threat.

I like how it is currently cos a party can function with a not so good tank. But when you have a good one it's better.

On the last boss of NC my party did exactly what you would expect. Tank on boss. Rest on adds and full dps on the boss whilst we can.
    Me as a rogue would usually do a flurry on the boss and use Wicked reminder out of stealth to get the 3 stacks on it. Then jump back on the adds until we killed those Red Wizfags making sure to keep their aoe away from my group.
    We did it with great tension as it was our first time and yeah I really enjoyed the death of a boss for the first time in ages.

GF imo is a good friend indeed. But they need to learn that this game challenges tanks and their respective parties a lot more then in most other games.
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • furionragewarsfurionragewars Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are welcome!
  • elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »

Be aware there are 2 ways to get aggro.

1) Raw Threat - Damage, Healing, Abilities that produce bonus threat.
    2) Taunts - Cause mob to hate that person for X seconds and usually puts them at the top of the threat list.

When a mob peals off a tank and goes for your pet, its not usually because they are producing more threat than the GF, but because your pet's Taunt just came off CD and it used it. NO one, not a Tank, Healer or DPS is going to pull off your pet while its in effect unless the GF also has his taunt on CD and can use it. This is NOT a bad tank situation. This is NOT a situation where your pet is doing more threat, especially against GFs that are spec DPS.

I am usually number 2-3 on damage done throughout the entire run (i run with Into the Frey otherwise id be 1-2) and between using marks and damage abilities no cleric is pulling threat off me. If you are running with a GF shelve that Tanking pet and see how he handles the first few pulls of an instance. If mobs are staying off you, keep the Tanking pet shelved. You will have a better experience in that instance. If not, than pull it out.

For good GFs Tanking pets are a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, we work around them but its not optimal and sometimes downright frustrating to keep mobs positioned correctly, especially when im trying to group up multiple packs of adds into one fun ball of death for our dps.
  • furionragewarsfurionragewars Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ebloodz wrote: »
    Before last night, I used to cringe when a GF joined my team, instead of a rogue, cleric or CW. (GWF are just ambigous, they never die but they dont seem to do much either).

Usually GF's cant hold aggro at all, and chase after enemies that chase after the wizards and clerics, shouting "adds! adds!"

Not last night. There was a GF on my team that held perfect aggro throughout the dungeon (Karrundax). It was only once or twice a random mob got in my or the clerics face, and I was free to blast all the adds to pieces.

So, it is possible to hold aggro as GF, you just aint doing it right.

You are welcome
  • tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's because most of these <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> are building their GFs full DPS thinking they should still be able to hold aggro perfectly. If you're going to build GF full dps, why not play a **** rogue? -_- dumb.