test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone here not use magic missile?

13»

Comments

• lucaspetribrlucaspetribr Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    > @niadan said:
    > Would have been more appropriate just to start a new thread. Reviving decomposing corpses is never a wise thing to do.

I can´t. New user account.

Any thoughts about the question?
    Xbox CW SS Renegade
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    At the moment, the best combination that I and most other CWs have found for SS Mage is Chilling/SS. This is from a DPS standpoint. Most do not use MM, and gain their AM stacks from ST and Oppressive Force, but do not focus on anything other than max SS procs, chill stacks and freezing.
  • fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I dont use it, why? bcs it takes time to land in PVE..and time yeah TIME, ray of frost can apply a stack of chill while jump casting, and pvp, magic misle? realy?! hell no
  • beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I don`t use Magic Missisle.

I use both on PvE and PvP:
    1. Ray of Frost to put and keep +56% personal damage boost from Chilling Presence (+offhand) and Bitter Cold.
    2. Scorching Burst to put +20% party damage boost from Swath of Destruction and on AoE.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    PvP MoF/Oppressors don't need to use them.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • bolverkr1bolverkr1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Just to add my opinion and perhaps a slightly more detailed explanation for not ever bothering with mm and arcane mastery (i'm speaking as a SS mage): AM gives a 15% increase in arcane dmg - only useful for a boost to disintegrate, and perhaps as a low/moderate boost to the effects of some cc spells. u gain the full 15% dmg increase after 15 hits with mm, yes it's a fast spell to cast but good luck getting ppl to wait for u to finish casting all that in pvp and frankly u can get the 6 chill stacks in about half that time. MM is probably the highest single target dps at will, chilling cloud has lower dps but does aoe dmg every 3rd strike and many ppl seem to dislike storm pillar (also hits aoe when charged) ... Chill gives u a 12% TOTAL dmg increase (double if the target is frozen) and 10% crit (renegades), which makes it rather great to stack asap and keep it stacked. I might be biased but as far as i can tell mm also gives u a VERY low proc rate for SS despite the quick casting, while both cloud and pillar have a good chance to proc SS and hit more targets=more chances to proc SS, plus pillar gives u a 5% dmg bonus for 20sec and if u spec thaum then u get another 5-15% dmg increase from cloud - bonuses that apply to ALL types of dmg. End result ur better off without mm. As for ur question about arcane+chill presence.. it's only the increase in recharge speed that makes me unsure if the combo is better than chill presence + evocation until u get SS
    Do any of you guys use chilling presence + arcane presence?

I would like to revive this topic to debate builds made over MM and arcane presence and, moreover, that combine chilling presence + arcane presence, not relaying only on Storm Spell or EoTS.

I use it for MoF/Oppressor CW in PvE.

https://youtu.be/FHmi8ebt3wM

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Kweassa, If you really want to run Lightning, you should also use Abyss of Chaos and Steal Time.

Is that a Pure/Trans Lightning enchant?
    romotheone wrote: »
    Kweassa, If you really want to run Lightning, you should also use Abyss of Chaos and Steal Time.

Is that a Pure/Trans Lightning enchant?

Transcendent. Arcs lightning with every target within Scorching Burst AoE.. so if you get 5 enemies, 3 random arcs at 100% x 5 = 15 arcs. I've considered using Steal Time, except the recharge speed is different with the other two powers and hard to synchronize.

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You should definitely try adding Abyss of Chaos in, great synergy with Pure Lightning and above. If you decide to do that, tabbed Conduit of Ice and Icy Terrain are a must. Steal Time is great because if you are able to hit 5 targets with it, it procs your lightning 30 times + arcs.
    Each proc of Conduit and Icy Terrain activates and uses an Abyss stack, so based on your weapon's base damage and the damage multipliers/debuffs you have, you deal about 1500-4000 damage with each Abyss proc. Lightning + Abyss is free damage if you don't really have other ways of doing that.
    Your 2 other spells (Conduit on tab + Icy Terrain are a must have) can be anything you want, since Steal Time only applies abyss once / each target hit during it's cast, so a maximum of 5 times (1 for each) and there aren't any other encounters/dailies that proc things the way CoI and Icy Terrain do.
    kweassa wrote: »
    Do any of you guys use chilling presence + arcane presence?

I would like to revive this topic to debate builds made over MM and arcane presence and, moreover, that combine chilling presence + arcane presence, not relaying only on Storm Spell or EoTS.

I use it for MoF/Oppressor CW in PvE.

Nice video. Tks!

After trying many times to use that combo i found it very hard to keep up building arcane presence to increase damage. It seems like a good idea, but hard to put in practice.

If only we had a meter like divinity for the DCs...
    Xbox CW SS Renegade
    Nice video. Tks!

After trying many times to use that combo i found it very hard to keep up building arcane presence to increase damage. It seems like a good idea, but hard to put in practice.

If only we had a meter like divinity for the DCs...

Er.. I think you've got a few things mixed up.

Arcane Presence is a class feature that reduces recharge time of your used powers and adds small amounts of damage buffs. When used in conjunction with its offhand artifact power it also speeds up your AP gain when using cold-based powers.

What you're talking of is Arcane Mastery, which adds damage buffs to Arcane Powers, in which case the only arcane-based power I'm using in the above vid is EF... which, btw, I can cast repeatedly and fast enough to make 5 arcane stacks and retain it if I wished so. For example, with the exact setup in the vid, I could switch CoI to DisInt and then use AM stacks to buff it up.

It's not hard to put into practice, since I'm already using it in practice.

I´m talking about using both chilling presence and arcane presence and try to build arcane stacks to use with chill stacks.
    Xbox CW SS Renegade
    I´m talking about using both chilling presence and arcane presence and try to build arcane stacks to use with chill stacks.

...not sure what you are finding problems with. Like said, without any real main-stay arcane spell to use, AM isn't even a real factor. All it does is boost the damage of my EF and nothing else, and I can cast EF repeatedly, fast enough to actually build up those 5 AM stacks easily and keep it there.

Chill stacks are about the least of your worries in that setup, since CoI into tab builds you stacks automatically, as well as Icy Terrain, as well as Icy Veins.

I can see how you may have some problems if you're not built to use this method, and simply just trying to use same choice of powers with a build that is not optimized to use it. In this case, perhaps you might have some problems, although I don't see any reason other builds like SS/DPS CWs cannot use it. As a matter of fact it's probably even better with a real SS/DPS CW build, since every bit of those insane amount of proc damage has a chance to tick stormspell.