test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plea for official response from Neverwinter/PWE staff.

narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
While I could are less either way if the servers are wiped or not, there have been many threads started with improper ways of asking this question. So, in an effort to get the community the answer it wants, I am going to attempt to ask this question in the proper manor.

PWE,

The community has issued several polls here on the forums, and it seems that a majority of the players would like to have the servers wiped. Every poll that was started has been in favor of wipe over not wiping.

Now I understand your concerns however it is important that the community get an official, proper, clear and concise response from a representative of the developers.

Could you please respond to this thread, with an official statement on why you decided to do a 7 hour rollback, rather than a full wipe or a longer rollback. I think it would at the very least offer some comfort to those who question this and do not know how to state it properly.

Regards,
Narathkor
Loyal Player

P.S. Please keep in mind that you stated on the update to the situation last night that you would be available on the forums, facebook, and twitter for questions.
Please check out my foundry quests!
The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
Post edited by narathkor on

Comments

• ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The answer is simple: The forum community does not represent the community as a whole. Furthermore, the polls in places such a forum are very open to manipulation and are far from a reliable indication of the attitude of any group.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty certain your answer is that they did the rollback yesterday and will be hunting down the accounts that abused the exploit prior to Sunday. See this post by PWE http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?266921-FAQ-AD-AH-Exploit-Follow-Up for information on it. They stated on twitter there would be no wipe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ratrail I understand all of this, however this post is asking for a staff member to offer an official explanation that has been asked for many times. The problem is the people asking are doing so in a hateful manor so I tried to word it respectfully. I completely understand the reason not to wipe, but I can say it until I am blue in the face. The fact is until PWE offers the explanation nobody is going to care.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the rollback might work . Lets at least give it a try . AD was around 350 when I went to bed Saturday night . And they rolled back to right before I went to bed , since I have my level but not my kitten . I bought it right before I went to bed . It works out good actually , I named him ' panther ' but now my new one once I can pull AD out of zen market will be ' legit ' or ' too legit ' :P
    edited May 2013
    terradraconis,

I have seen that post, as well as all of the others. I was around during the entire downtime. The only thing they said about it was a wipe was off the table, they did not give any reasons even vague ones as to why it was off the table. I am pretty sure I know the answer to the question, but again until PWE says it, nobody is going to listen.
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    I think the rollback might work . Lets at least give it a try . AD was around 350 when I went to bed Saturday night . And they rolled back to right before I went to bed , since I have my level but not my kitten . I bought it right before I went to bed . It works out good actually , I named him ' panther ' but now my new one once I can pull AD out of zen market will be ' legit ' or ' too legit ' :P

labbb,

I fully agree with you, I am happy with the decision. However I would have continued to play and buy small things here and there. I enjoy the game so it does not effect me either way. I can deal with economy problems, or whatever else, it is no problem. However with so many people in the community wanting an official answer to the question, I think it only right that PWE gives that answer.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    While I could are less either way if the servers are wiped or not, there have been many threads started with improper ways of asking this question. So, in an effort to get the community the answer it wants, I am going to attempt to ask this question in the proper manor.

PWE,

The community has issued several polls here on the forums, and it seems that a majority of the players would like to have the servers wiped. Every poll that was started has been in favor of wipe over not wiping.

Now I understand your concerns however it is important that the community get an official, proper, clear and concise response from a representative of the developers.

Could you please respond to this thread, with an official statement on why you decided to do a 7 hour rollback, rather than a full wipe or a longer rollback. I think it would at the very least offer some comfort to those who question this and do not know how to state it properly.

Regards,
    Narathkor
    Loyal Player

P.S. Please keep in mind that you stated on the update to the situation last night that you would be available on the forums, facebook, and twitter for questions.

A great answer would be to watch this around the 7:00 min mark Adam explains the whole focus group of one phenomina on the internet.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    terradraconis,

I have seen that post, as well as all of the others. I was around during the entire downtime. The only thing they said about it was a wipe was off the table, they did not give any reasons even vague ones as to why it was off the table. I am pretty sure I know the answer to the question, but again until PWE says it, nobody is going to listen.

I can tell you the answer. It would enrage 80% plus of the player base that doesn't post to the boards. And it wouldn't do anything about the problem that people wanting the wipe think it would fix. Basically the RMT folk would be fully up and running in under a week and all the stuff that was forsale before would be forsale again.

They stated in that post that they where hunting down the accounts that exploited prior to the wipe to deal with them. Implied in that is that they are also tracing all transactions from those exploiting accounts. That if accurate would be as effective as a wipe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Stormdragon,

Again I must state, this will not help the situation. I will play regardless, I enjoy the game so it matters not to me. However, the community is asking for an answer from PWE. So I am trying to help retrieve that answer. No video you can post, unless it is a video from a PWE developer responding directly to this question somewhere in the video will resolve the situation. I actually am quite positive I know the reasons, but me saying them will not ease anyone.
  • alignmentsalignments Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They were updating the social media ALL NIGHT LONG, i was up till like 2AM getting min by min updates. There are 2 posts, including a FAQ. But let me give you an unofficial reply. There are no wipes, not anymore, that window is over. That line has been crossed, no looking back. That said, 7hrs, because thats how long the bug was active at the "red alert" level and the frame in witch the major damage was done. Some will say that it was around longer, that may or may not be the case. Keep in mind that this bug was via the web gateway and web gateway was NOT active in closed beta, so this certain bug was not around from day 1. Other bugs have existed, but were not so wide spread or accessible enough to merit any further actions, or at least so far in the eyes of PWE.
    Personally, ive seen signs that 7hrs may not have been enough to clear out the ill gotten gains completely or even enough to say the econ is anywhere near back to normal, but they have stated that the investigation and account actions will continue. Again, im just a nobody, but i hope it clears somethings up for you.
    edited May 2013
    I can tell you the answer. It would enrage 80% plus of the player base that doesn't post to the boards. And it wouldn't do anything about the problem that people wanting the wipe think it would fix. Basically the RMT folk would be fully up and running in under a week and all the stuff that was forsale before would be forsale again.

They stated in that post that they where hunting down the accounts that exploited prior to the wipe to deal with them. Implied in that is that they are also tracing all transactions from those exploiting accounts. That if accurate would be as effective as a wipe.

Actually terradraconis,

You are wrong in some aspects I believe. However the issue still stands, you are not a staff member so you can say your opinion until you are blue in the face. It does not resolve the issue.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    terradraconis,

Sadly, I don't think you will get an official answer (at least detail one that you are asking) from PWE.

why?

Because the forum poster will "eat them alive" they will tear apart the very reasoning PWE came up for not wiping. They made the final decision of not wiping and sticking with it. Any more information probably won't be provided (and per TOS and forum rules they won't discuss it either when it comes to Bans)

The players of Today is a LOT more vicious than players say 1997. When UO was first open, we actually have a MONTHLY meet with the devs in Austin, TX (3 hour drive for me) it was awesome. I get to talk with other players and discuss ideas. It was cool. As the year goes by, people starting using the Dev words against them (which is common practice now) the problem is that when community manager, dev, PR or anyone post anything, they are taken apart, analyze, and interpret to what they want and yell BACK at them on why "X" and "Y" never happen! or why it should happen! or what happen!

I notice a lot of games later start to give out less info and of course <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people off. And when you have a dev that DOES give some hint or tidbit, those get torn apart.

If you are getting torn apart every time you are trying to be helpful, you will probably keep it to yourself and have PR craft the answer so they will take the brunt.

Personally, I believe they wouldn't wipe due to business decision. This is F2P. People invest REAL money into the game. If they wipe, this "could" cause players to leave in droves (some already did when such topics are made) Now you see post people getting PISSED at 7 hour roll back
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
    edited May 2013
    alignments,

Actually all that was stated was quote" A full wipe is off the table". That being said, again I have to repeat myself, your opinions will not help the situation. This is their official site, twitter is not, facebook is not, they need to respond to the questions being asked by the community, as they said they would.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wipes are off the table because it would trigger a massive wave of refunds.

No, this is not official. It is common sense.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think you will get an official answer (at least detail one that you are asking) from PWE.

why?

Because the forum poster will "eat them alive" they will tear apart the very reasoning PWE came up for not wiping. They made the final decision of not wiping and sticking with it. Any more information probably won't be provided (and per TOS and forum rules they won't discuss it either when it comes to Bans)

The players of Today is a LOT more vicious than players say 1997. When UO was first open, we actually have a MONTHLY meet with the devs in Austin, TX (3 hour drive for me) it was awesome. I get to talk with other players and discuss ideas. It was cool. As the year goes by, people starting using the Dev words against them (which is common practice now) the problem is that when community manager, dev, PR or anyone post anything, they are taken apart, analyze, and interpret to what they want and yell BACK at them on why "X" and "Y" never happen! or why it should happen! or what happen!

I notice a lot of games later start to give out less info and of course <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people off. And when you have a dev that DOES give some hint or tidbit, those get torn apart.

If you are getting torn apart every time you are trying to be helpful, you will probably keep it to yourself and have PR craft the answer so they will take the brunt.

Personally, I believe they wouldn't wipe due to business decision. This is F2P. People invest REAL money into the game. If they wipe, this "could" cause players to leave in droves (some already did when such topics are made) Now you see post people getting PISSED at 7 hour roll back

Sadly you are likely correct but we shall see. At the very least the spirit of this post was to try to help out those enraged and asking the same question in an improper way. There is no need to be rude about how you ask or put them down, simply ask the question you want an answer to. It is my effort to help the people get what they are asking for.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly you are likely correct but we shall see. At the very least the spirit of this post was to try to help out those enraged and asking the same question in an improper way. There is no need to be rude about how you ask or put them down, simply ask the question you want an answer to. It is my effort to help the people get what they are asking for.

I would love an answer too. I am just trying to help ya not to get your hopes up :) I'm sure the Devs right now are probably getting chew up by the higher up for "messing with PWE profits"
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    a majority of the players would like to have the servers wiped

Can everyone just stop saying this? You do not know if this is even true or not because the forums do not represent everyone.
    edited May 2013
    Can everyone just stop saying this? You do not know if this is even true or not because the forums do not represent everyone.

The forums, during a 8 hour downtime, does actually represent the majority of the community that cares about the game. As these are the people who read the forums.

However, that does not matter, the issue at hand is an official response, and trolling this thread does not help get that response at all.
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    I would love an answer too. I am just trying to help ya not to get your hopes up :) I'm sure the Devs right now are probably getting chew up by the higher up for "messing with PWE profits"

My hopes are never up, I am cooking dinner otherwise I would be enjoying some Skirmishes or something. Saw several posts with people wanting this answer, but they ask in a hateful way. So I thought I would try being nice and see if perhaps I could help them get the answer they seek.
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My hopes are never up, I am cooking dinner otherwise I would be enjoying some Skirmishes or something. Saw several posts with people wanting this answer, but they ask in a hateful way. So I thought I would try being nice and see if perhaps I could help them get the answer they seek.

I appreciate people like you that take the time to ask in a polite manner. ^_^ So much better than ragers, where half their post if asterisks. :eek:

I wouldn't mind a more detailed response, but having seen what happens to Devs in various games when they say something people don't like, or say something and then end up having to change it for one reason or another (the same reason so many Devs use Soon™ instead of giving actual time frames) I can totally understand why nothing more in-depth would be forthcoming.
  • tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No need for rollback. Just do a database search for accounts with over 3 million astral diamonds and investigate those accounts. Do a db search for all +7 and +8 enchants and investigate those accounts as well.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The forums, during a 8 hour downtime, does actually represent the majority of the community that cares about the game. As these are the people who read the forums.

This is false. 90% of MMO players never go to their games' forums. Only a small fraction of those actually post. Are you actually asserting that 95%+ of players don't care about the game?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    This is false. 90% of MMO players never go to their games' forums. Only a small fraction of those actually post. Are you actually asserting that 95%+ of players don't care about the game?

Yes I am, because if they cared they would get involved in the discussions about the item they cared about, in any aspect of life this is the case.
    edited May 2013
    Yes I am, because if they cared they would get involved in the discussions about the item they cared about, in any aspect of life this is the case.

Then I'm afraid your position has little congruence with reality.
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Then I'm afraid your position has little congruence with reality.

I am afraid it is right in line with reality. You care about the game, look where you are. I am afraid that you have little knowledge of the ways of human nature. People that just play the game and do not really get involved in the game do not really care about the game. Most of those will likely quit shortly as is historically the case. In fact I would wager many of them are just wasting time while waiting for another game they are wanting to come out.

Fact is if you care about something you get involved with it.
  • ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am afraid it is right in line with reality. You care about the game, look where you are. I am afraid that you have little knowledge of the ways of human nature. People that just play the game and do not really get involved in the game do not really care about the game. Most of those will likely quit shortly as is historically the case. In fact I would wager many of them are just wasting time while waiting for another game they are wanting to come out.

Fact is if you care about something you get involved with it.

Elessym's point was that there's no correlation between "caring about the game" and being involved on the forums. To suggest such is just an error.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is just untrue. I'll just leave that there.

In addition, a full wipe just sounds like a great answer, I'll give you that.

However, 100% of those who voted do not work for Cryptic, nor do they know their systems like Cryptic engineers do. They were happy to hear the forumites wouldn't mind a wipe if it were necessary, but in fact they knew pretty early on that a wipe was unnecessary, would have gone way overboard, affected too many innocent folks, and would be a net negative to the playerbase.

We should be congratulating Cryptic for they have solved the large bulk of the problem with minimal affect to the 99.99999% of the population that was completely innocent and not involved with the exploit at all.

Thats my 2 coppers, for whatever its worth! ;)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited May 2013
    This is just untrue. I'll just leave that there.

In addition, a full wipe just sounds like a great answer, I'll give you that.

However, 100% of those who voted do not work for Cryptic, nor do they know their systems like Cryptic engineers do. They were happy to hear the forumites wouldn't mind a wipe if it were necessary, but in fact they knew pretty early on that a wipe was unnecessary, would have gone way overboard, affected too many innocent folks, and would be a net negative to the playerbase.

We should be congratulating Cryptic for they have solved the large bulk of the problem with minimal affect to the 99.99999% of the population that was completely innocent and not involved with the exploit at all.

Thats my 2 coppers, for whatever its worth! ;)

All of the people replying to this thread care about the game, and are on the forums because they care. So, for you to reply to this thread and say that people not on the forums care about the game, shows a complete lack of understanding on why you are even here. This is sad that you do not even have self realization. If they are not on the forums while the game is down to see what is going on and respond, then they could care less, they are going meh game down, game of thrones time or another game time. It made no difference to them. That in and of itself is not caring about the game.
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ratrail I understand all of this, however this post is asking for a staff member to offer an official explanation that has been asked for many times. The problem is the people asking are doing so in a hateful manor so I tried to word it respectfully. I completely understand the reason not to wipe, but I can say it until I am blue in the face. The fact is until PWE offers the explanation nobody is going to care.

You say that the community issued polls and the majority wants to wipe... nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heretik43heretik43 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Actually it doesn't. I and all of my friends who play Neverwinter do not post on the forums. We just don't really have the time. But we still care very much for the game and I am sure there are alot of people out there that do likewise.