Install Arc
Options

pls buff up GWF and GF already

13»

Comments

• Options
    bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like GFs. They're in a pretty balanced spot, although threat generation remains to be an issue on the pve side. They have to sacrifice A LOT to do good burst, feat directly into Conqueror builds, and forces him to block wisely lest he loses a huge chunk of power. Very annoying and deceptive in pvp with their self-healing, and revenge burst capabilities makes good play a matter of good discretion. This is my secondary character.

But...on to the GWF, my "main". I'm going to list some points pve/pvp or otherwise along with some proposed changes that arent just straight "moar damage plox" requests.

1. GWFs would be great pve if CW ledge kills weren't an option. It's not a bad mechanic, makes clearing trash hilarious, and environmental damage/reactions is one of the finer points of this mmo. But the mechanic is killing any viability for GWFs in endgame dungeons when no one wants to go through the time and trouble of actually dpsing mobs.

Suggested change: Loot bonus for "killing" mobs or loot nerf for throwing them off cliffs. Actually finishing more mobs should contribute to your final loot drop from the boss and/or delve chest. You can throw things off cliffs repeatedly for a quick and easy rare or spend the time and effort to get the better drops.

2. GWF pvp potential is almosthorrid. The saving grace is being able to 1 shot anyone with Flourish->Takedown->IBS->Dailly (assuming they didn't block/dodge/teleport/blueshield any of the attacks). The second saving grace is that this also means that any one of these encounters also does a ****load of damage if not mitigated or chained between just two of them. So the burst damage+cc contribution is very nice when combo'd with grip from a friendly CW or a knockdown from a GF buddy. Mini skirmishes play well to our strengths when we can drop a few bombs in precise places by going Unstoppable and sprinting.

a. Problem here is that we are very inflexible, Feating into flourish stun for pvp means you can't optimize endgame pve dps going deeper into destroyer. You can pick it up going into deep Instigator if you go for a more supporty pve presence.

Suggested change: oh jesus release dual specs already. And not for 1000 zen. That, or move Flourish stun to tier 5 so it becomes a viable option for other builds to dip into pvp utility without sacrificing all the juiciness of Destroyer/Sentinel tier 5 feats.

b. Squishy for a mail/plate class. Rogues can stealth/smoke/dodgeroll. CWs have 3-4 escape tps. DCs can drop shield and stall for help. But 'wait!', you say. "You guys have complete cc-immunity!". That's right and it's ****ing awesome if you aren't the first to get focused down in a fight. Meter starts at 0%, builds up from getting hit in the face, and can be activated at 50% for ~2 seconds of immunity or 100% for ~4-5 seconds. The getting hit the face part hurts. You're at less than half health by the time the meter is ~70% full, just about to eat a few more bursts by the time your tab spam goes through. It's a good thing you can break most cc by tabbing out of it but good luck if you happened to be knocked-down at the tail end of a cc-chain because you'll be standing up at 10% hp and saving that 100% determination meter for your next life.

Suggested: Determination builds over time like other tab-meters. We do have Steadfast determination, but that gives meter only in combat and takes 20-30 seconds of combat time to build up to half. Combat also falls off dreadfully quick, only about 2 seconds after exchanging blows, probably to best allow frequent use of mounts.

c. Build inflexibility removes our biggest strength: mobility. Sprint, Leap, Punishing Charge, we can be very very maneuverable. But we can't afford to slot those encounters when there's Flourish, IBS, Takedown that need to be picked up to compete with other classes. Sure you can utilize the movement to backcap points but without those three core encounters, you're best off running away from 1v1s and coming back when no one's looking. Also, Punishing Charge + Battle Fury is immensely fun --> base-point to mid-point on Hotenow in 5 seconds ON FOOT. That said..

Suggested: Make Battle Fury usable outside of combat. While trying to run away from combat, if you don't pop it immediately, you won't get a chance to use it until the next time that rogue is on top of you.
    Suggested: Improve damage on At-wills. I said I wouldn't ask for straight damage buffs but our At-will damage is miserable and the main reason why we need 3 damage encounters. Straight up better damage on At-wills so that we have the option to run mobility-heavy builds, maneuvering in combat to do damage with left-clicks.
    Suggested: I'm going to get lambasted for this suggestion but...remove mounts from pvp. I know it's a major selling point, and that's partially a problem in and of itself, but mounts have no place here. You can stride past certain classes with 110% mounts, forcing them to pony up and chase you. Makes mobility skills less useful, making catching runners an inevitable matter of momentum. Escape with a fraction of a %hp? That CWs is going to be range for a grip/nuke immediately on his mount when you can't afford to stop to mount up. Scale capture time or base movespeed accordingly to balance.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • Options
    hedas8hedas8 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    bananachef wrote: »
    I like GFs. They're in a pretty balanced spot, although threat generation remains to be an issue on the pve side. They have to sacrifice A LOT to do good burst, feat directly into Conqueror builds, and forces him to block wisely lest he loses a huge chunk of power. Very annoying and deceptive in pvp with their self-healing, and revenge burst capabilities makes good play a matter of good discretion. This is my secondary character.

But...on to the GWF, my "main". I'm going to list some points pve/pvp or otherwise along with some proposed changes that arent just straight "moar damage plox" requests.

1. GWFs would be great pve if CW ledge kills weren't an option. It's not a bad mechanic, makes clearing trash hilarious, and environmental damage/reactions is one of the finer points of this mmo. But the mechanic is killing any viability for GWFs in endgame dungeons when no one wants to go through the time and trouble of actually dpsing mobs.

Suggested change: Loot bonus for "killing" mobs or loot nerf for throwing them off cliffs. Actually finishing more mobs should contribute to your final loot drop from the boss and/or delve chest. You can throw things off cliffs repeatedly for a quick and easy rare or spend the time and effort to get the better drops.

2. GWF pvp potential is almosthorrid. The saving grace is being able to 1 shot anyone with Flourish->Takedown->IBS->Dailly (assuming they didn't block/dodge/teleport/blueshield any of the attacks). The second saving grace is that this also means that any one of these encounters also does a ****load of damage if not mitigated or chained between just two of them. So the burst damage+cc contribution is very nice when combo'd with grip from a friendly CW or a knockdown from a GF buddy. Mini skirmishes play well to our strengths when we can drop a few bombs in precise places by going Unstoppable and sprinting.

a. Problem here is that we are very inflexible, Feating into flourish stun for pvp means you can't optimize endgame pve dps going deeper into destroyer. You can pick it up going into deep Instigator if you go for a more supporty pve presence.

Suggested change: oh jesus release dual specs already. And not for 1000 zen. That, or move Flourish stun to tier 5 so it becomes a viable option for other builds to dip into pvp utility without sacrificing all the juiciness of Destroyer/Sentinel tier 5 feats.

b. Squishy for a mail/plate class. Rogues can stealth/smoke/dodgeroll. CWs have 3-4 escape tps. DCs can drop shield and stall for help. But 'wait!', you say. "You guys have complete cc-immunity!". That's right and it's ****ing awesome if you aren't the first to get focused down in a fight. Meter starts at 0%, builds up from getting hit in the face, and can be activated at 50% for ~2 seconds of immunity or 100% for ~4-5 seconds. The getting hit the face part hurts. You're at less than half health by the time the meter is ~70% full, just about to eat a few more bursts by the time your tab spam goes through. It's a good thing you can break most cc by tabbing out of it but good luck if you happened to be knocked-down at the tail end of a cc-chain because you'll be standing up at 10% hp and saving that 100% determination meter for your next life.

Suggested: Determination builds over time like other tab-meters. We do have Steadfast determination, but that gives meter only in combat and takes 20-30 seconds of combat time to build up to half. Combat also falls off dreadfully quick, only about 2 seconds after exchanging blows, probably to best allow frequent use of mounts.

c. Build inflexibility removes our biggest strength: mobility. Sprint, Leap, Punishing Charge, we can be very very maneuverable. But we can't afford to slot those encounters when there's Flourish, IBS, Takedown that need to be picked up to compete with other classes. Sure you can utilize the movement to backcap points but without those three core encounters, you're best off running away from 1v1s and coming back when no one's looking. Also, Punishing Charge + Battle Fury is immensely fun --> base-point to mid-point on Hotenow in 5 seconds ON FOOT. That said..

Suggested: Make Battle Fury usable outside of combat. While trying to run away from combat, if you don't pop it immediately, you won't get a chance to use it until the next time that rogue is on top of you.
    Suggested: Improve damage on At-wills. I said I wouldn't ask for straight damage buffs but our At-will damage is miserable and the main reason why we need 3 damage encounters. Straight up better damage on At-wills so that we have the option to run mobility-heavy builds, maneuvering in combat to do damage with left-clicks.
    Suggested: I'm going to get lambasted for this suggestion but...remove mounts from pvp. I know it's a major selling point, and that's partially a problem in and of itself, but mounts have no place here. You can stride past certain classes with 110% mounts, forcing them to pony up and chase you. Makes mobility skills less useful, making catching runners an inevitable matter of momentum. Escape with a fraction of a %hp? That CWs is going to be range for a grip/nuke immediately on his mount when you can't afford to stop to mount up. Scale capture time or base movespeed accordingly to balance.

decent suggestions but I fear the problem of GWF will not be solved by just this.
    agree 100% on the mounts though.
    "Vera libertas dissipabis omnem tantibus" me.
    Hedas 60 GWF.
    Hrod 60 GF.
    Alain Loreweaver 60 CW.
    Dragon.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree Vaichana, we've a group running castle never in our guild and by the time the second boss is down usually the GF has more damage done than the rogue. if GF's are buffed then I'd he'd even be out damaging me which would be a bit upsetting to see the tank as the highest damage bringer in a party. It isn't that GF's need a buff, people just need to learn what they're doing and how to build something.

Woah who said anything about buffing GF damage... It is there threat that is the Issue, and the fact that rogues are taken in groups to tnak bosses over a GF.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bananachef wrote: »

gwf is joke in pvp u cant dodge or do real cc and 1 target damage is so weak that u dont even notice drop of hp,and gwf is most easy and favorite target for cw since they cant miss him since he cant dodge and it is a lot more easy to kill gwf then cleric ,cw or tr even 50% resist buff from tab skil dont help it ,gwf is my favorite target to since i cant kill anything else i can only kill tr sometimes and that is when i outgear it by a lot and tr is ****
  • Options
    ravkratravkrat Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gwf is joke in pvp u cant dodge or do real cc and 1 target damage is so weak that u dont even notice drop of hp,and gwf is most easy and favorite target for cw since they cant miss him since he cant dodge and it is a lot more easy to kill gwf then cleric ,cw or tr even 50% resist buff from tab skil dont help it ,gwf is my favorite target to since i cant kill anything else i can only kill tr sometimes and that is when i outgear it by a lot and tr is ****

you've never had two gwfs noming on your face in pvp..have you?
  • Options
    bloodletter24bloodletter24 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You got to be kidding me? Have you pvped much? iamzelpex. Perhaps you are just not building you GWF OR GF right. Just the other day I came up against a GF solo and he killed my CW with ease. All I do is pvp and I have crunched numbers on my build which is geared up to 9400+. He would pretty much do the same thing everytime I fought him and he killed me solo everytime. He would shield bashing me from oh I do not know a long ways away. I could not even teleport dodge the bash and he would follow with a stab attack that would take half my life stun me again and hit me one more time to kill me. He did this everytime I came up against him. I have had rogues and GWF almost kill me in one hit. If anything needs a damage buff its a CW. TR make CW damage look silly **** I have even been out damaged by GF. Wait GF is suppose to be a tank right? Huh.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You got to be kidding me? Have you pvped much? iamzelpex. Perhaps you are just not building you GWF OR GF right. Just the other day I came up against a GF solo and he killed my CW with ease. All I do is pvp and I have crunched numbers on my build which is geared up to 9400+. He would pretty much do the same thing everytime I fought him and he killed me solo everytime. He would shield bashing me from oh I do not know a long ways away. I could not even teleport dodge the bash and he would follow with a stab attack that would take half my life stun me again and hit me one more time to kill me. He did this everytime I came up against him. I have had rogues and GWF almost kill me in one hit. If anything needs a damage buff its a CW. TR make CW damage look silly **** I have even been out damaged by GF. Wait GF is suppose to be a tank right? Huh.

The only tank in game is DC. CW have impressive pvp dps, you might want to just reappraise your strategy :D
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    gyridhgyridh Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Bloodletter. And you're supposed to be a controller, not a striker.
    The very problem is that about the only viable GF build at the moment is a pure dps build. If GF's don't build for dps, they can hardly hold any threat at all.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GF and GWF could use unique mob/party debuffs and buffs.

Serious question: Is there something currently about a GWF that makes GWF + GF preferable to GF+GF? For the life of me I can't think of anything.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    avangeris wrote: »
    I get 1 shooted by gwf in pvp and u want to buff em ? STFU

You either have really ****ty gear, or you need to L2P. GWF's BLOW compared to rogues/cms/clerics.
  • Options
    tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    You either have really ****ty gear, or you need to L2P. GWF's BLOW compared to rogues/cms/clerics.

That's not true. All the classes are quite balanced minus the ones that have exploits like Clerics. As a rogue, I can kill a bad GWF quite easily, but against a good one, I can never get him low enough to use Shocking Executioner to finish him off.
  • Options
    incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    10kGS GWF. i only log once per hour to pray and do profesions.
    otherwise the game is pretty dead for me unless they do something with the class
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have already sugested this somewhere else, i think on the "temple" forum section, it involves the DC righteusnes debuff.

My sugestion included the following, make this a castable effect and it would do the following -->

Cooldown : Entire instance
    Effect : Transfer 75% of thread level to target player, devoted cleric now self-heals for 50% (TR/CW are untargetable), targeted player must agree to this buff (i imagine a sort of screen popping up "Itheryel has requested u to be his gaurdian, do u accept y/n?")

In this fashion, clerics get self heal 100% if this isent enabled wich can happen in certain random que's, but more importantly GF/GWF wil be back in endgame dungeons, because believe me a cleric would love to have this threat reduction cast so he could focus on the heal and gameplay instead of kitting 24/7. Also this would enable 100% tank specs to be valid because u would "transfer" the threat generated, rendering it not needed for the tank himself to generate threat so he can max out on tank ability's.

Also GF, could have a similar castable effect that does the oposite "[nickname] has requested to be ure gaurdian for the duration of this instance do u accept y/n"

Most likely this should be balanced and worked out, but i feel this would promote teamplay, and get tanks back in the game as a real ADDITION to the team they are playing in, and the "honor" message would emphasize on there importance etc...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    incareal wrote: »
    10kGS GWF. i only log once per hour to pray and do profesions.
    otherwise the game is pretty dead for me unless they do something with the class

i know that feel bro.
    Hedas 60 GWF.
    Hrod 60 GF.
    Alain Loreweaver 60 CW.
    Dragon.
  • Options
    tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hedas8 wrote: »
    i know that feel bro.

Because you are bad. It is not the class. There are players like you that says rogues are weak, clerics are weak, GF are weak, CW are weak. You are all bad players that does not take the time to read and come up with a better build. Also, incareal is lying. Ask him to post a screenshot of his gears and you will see that most of it is blue, not purple.
  • Options
    incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    hedas8 wrote: »
    i know that feel bro.

+1. wondering what will come sooner - balance of current classes or ranger class (which will either be better than TR or useless)
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the problem is that everybodys cheesing their way through dungeons and if you cheese you need the cheese classes with the cheese powers...
  • Options
    puzikmowapuzikmowa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi there,

I'm quite new to the game and I 've been surprised with the pvp which seems to have some great potential. I can't start a new thread for now so I'll use this one to ask a few question if you don't mind...

I always choose the underdog class to pvp because I love challenge (and diversity).
    I quickly understood that the GWF was the right class for me............ . . . .

Now, should I invest some time in this game for the pvp part ? Or do I waste my time , since it's mainly a pve game ? I haven't seen any comment from the dev or the community manager on the pvp side.. I suppose they don't really care since the game is freshly released and they are working on pve bugs, exploits etc..?

Please let me know.
    And please forgive my bad english ;)

See ya on the battlefield!
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the current pvp i think is boring...then i rather play m&b... maybe if gauntlgrym comes
  • Options
    puzikmowapuzikmowa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks for your quick answer!

I hope many people will enjoy the pvp and make it a successful part of that game!
    So that the dev will show (more?) interest and will try to keep some kind of balance and add new maps etc..

We'll see ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tenkuro wrote: »
    Because you are bad. It is not the class. There are players like you that says rogues are weak, clerics are weak, GF are weak, CW are weak. You are all bad players that does not take the time to read and come up with a better build. Also, incareal is lying. Ask him to post a screenshot of his gears and you will see that most of it is blue, not purple.

i have several ways i could suggest cryptic to change the GWF, from atributes, powers, feats to several ideas for new paragon classes.
    I refuse to do so while they don't release formulas for how damage of at-wills, encounters and dailies(among other hidden stats) are calculated to the community.

now do me the courtesy of STFU until you can read a sentence for what it means rather than what you think it means and discuss in a tone that is respectful towards your betters.
    Hedas 60 GWF.
    Hrod 60 GF.
    Alain Loreweaver 60 CW.
    Dragon.
  • Options
    xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tenkuro wrote: »
    Bro i'm a 10k GS GWF, I literally do what incareal does too.. Professions+pray and if i'm lucky i'll get to stay in a party for a DD in idris or so.. Queueing for a t2 generally equals a kick, or clerics leaving because they "dont want to party with gwf" as it will be a "slow and hard run"

Before you start telling me my gear is all blue and i'm lying about my GS http://puu.sh/2YpEN.jpg If I switch a few things around i'm at around 10500. I'm using a build I came up with myself, though it has a lot in common with ExtinctioN's Instigator spec (I too, am an instigator gwf)
    The build works too, i'm consistently either 1st or 2nd damage (rogues come higher from time to time, which is pretty normal)

It's getting pretty stupid with people like you sitting there telling people it isn't the class, it's them. If it was them and not the class there'd be much less of a hubbub over it.

tl;dr - get over yourself
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • Options
    karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I've played with a lot of GWFs and a GWF + a CW is the best at keeping adds off me by far. Good GWFs kill adds way faster than any other class. Come and get it is an amazing encounter power.

signed
    the cleric who never has another cleric with him in T2