test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So NWO was A Money Grab After All.

Comments

• Options
    teepussiteepussi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Wiping only benefits exploiters, since they already sold their mules to chinese farmers. Do you fail to see that Cryptic can just run a query search and permaban the accounts that have like 30 Timeless Hero sets or a bag filled with Cats? The roll-back serves to prevent the market from being filled with ill-purchased goods. Let's be honest - before the exploit was widespread, the AH was fine.

How can you say AH was fine? Have you not read about fluctating AD & Zen markets that happeneds day before? The negative prices have existed whole time, only difference is that those abusing it were subtle about it. Theres no knowing how much AD was pumped inside the markets outside of Founder packs. Sure you can say markets would eventually balance out.

Also the overall issue is not that if some exploiter can turn his AD or Zen to cash by 3rd party sites. Its the inflation that eats everyones buying power, this game has somewhat good system to at least partly prevent too much AD from existing at same time with 24k AD daily cap + AH taking -10% cut of every sale. Only oddity really is founder packs, but that is accepted cause it goes to supporting the game (While overall wish they had other ways to rewards founders than pure AD, as it adds to inflation.)
  • Options
    kyrosiriskyrosiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, enjoy my $600.00 ...I know..I am <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>..

Well, you could always file a chargeback. You'd be well within your rights to...
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    aepervius1972aepervius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    Unless you played Legends of Future Past (which I doubt) the first commercial MMO was Ultima Online released in 1997, so your "over 2 decades" falls short :) Not a big issue, but you're about 4+ years over your mark even if you played from day 1.

Actually ultima online coined the term, but massive multiplayer game were present long before ultima online. Counting MUD, or even "car crash" auto duel alike, end of the 70 start of the 80th.

I have been playing massive network game for the last 30 years. So yeah the OP was correct.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would you not issue a chargeback? Did you seriously spend 600 dollars through means other than a bank?

It keeps happening because people keep letting them get away with things like this.

I am considering a charge back, but i spent on myself ,my wife and also a couple of friends whom I bought in..I am going to discuss it with my gaming group tomorrow and see what we do. The money will not kill me or i would not have spent it on a beta game, but it is the point of the matter.. I thought this was a beta, meaning they would secure and fix any issues, now I see it really is a soft launch and they will rake in cash until we all stop playing and close it down like other failed games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you OP and I'm in the same boat except I threw about twice as much money into it, and I honestly felt like it was a cash grab and knew it was a beta when I did it. I just had no prior experince with Crypic/Perfect World

Me neither but did some background check on PWE, a 5 year old company with 15 game releases now going for popular names like Star Trek or Neverwinter. Also i was talking with a friend who played star trek and the recipe is exactly the same, the framework is basically copy/paste.
    Also the game is made with a handicap on purpose to make you spend money in order to have it decent. An incomplete game rushed for release with everything is up for sale with real money.

Everything about this game screamed money grab.
  • Options
    kyrosiriskyrosiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought this was a beta, meaning they would secure and fix any issues, now I see it really is a soft launch and they will rake in cash until we all stop playing and close it down like other failed games.

To be fair, that was pretty obvious from the "we aren't doing any wipes!" and the cash shop being 100% open. Just sayin'.

(I am sympathetic, though. This is why you should nail them to the wall with a chargeback.)
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    Nah if it was a money grab they would have done a character wipe. I'm glad to see it wasn't a money grab and they handled it properly.

P.S. Stop throwing around 600 dollars like it means anything. Another guy gave his actual transaction history proving he spent 2864 dollars on the game and was completely against a wipe. If how much you spend is a measure of how much your view is worth then his view is worth far more than your own. Over four times as much in fact.

And your view is worth nothing..Well maybe worth the , AD and epics you got muled from exploiting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For your information..I do have money, I chose to hook up a few friends so we could do this game up right together...Huge mistake...Now go judge someone else, my bank account is doing fine without your help..Well enough to walk away and never look back..

If you don't want to be judged, then don't post as a "victim of fraud" because that sum isn't by no means small and I bet you got really nice goodies for it. If you can spend so much in games (I can't, I'm not ashamed to admit it), good for you, but please don't come to us and try to lecture about how we should judge this game and the current situation. Honestly, I think that you're being overly dramatic. But there's a reason why the Governments of the free world don't openly negociate with terrorists of any kind: if spending money would mean that the devs should comply to every whim, the game would tear apart because none can meet 100% your expectations.

I've spent about 90 $ and that's a huge investment for me, considering my current economy.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    lmn1182lmn1182 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    Me neither but did some background check on PWE, a 5 year old company with 15 game releases now going for popular names like Star Trek or Neverwinter. Also i was talking with a friend who played star trek and the recipe is exactly the same, the framework is basically copy/paste.
    Also the game is made with a handicap on purpose to make you spend money in order to have it decent. An incomplete game rushed for release with everything is up for sale with real money.

Everything about this game screamed money grab.

STO was shop purchase and subscription. It went F2P afterwards but the story of STO is completely different to that of Neverwinter in terms of game development, developers and publisher.

Posts like this are just attention seeking. Whether the game is still here in a few years is dependant on profit. If the game made no profit then it will close and this applies to any business not just F2P games. Or do you think Blizzard would keep WoW open if it was making a loss?

You talk about cash grab, you have been playing these games for so long. Wow great apparently you don't understand the business model. The "Founders" pack were an attempt to mitigate the millions it costs to develop a game like this. It was optional. No one twisted your arm. No one pressured you into purchasing it and I presume Cryptic delivered everything in the pack as promised.

The fact you feel you had to write $600 in your post speaks for itself. Rather than trying to pull a rather pathetic sympathy story just leave and be done with it. You will probably be surprised that the world will still turn.

All things considered they have done quite well releasing a basic free to play mmo. It is certainly better than many other paid mmo's i've played.
  • Options
    randomname1682randomname1682 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but this game needs a wipe. I want to see it do well, but if it doesn't I'll take my chances with TERA.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you don't want to be judged, then don't post as a "victim of fraud" because that sum isn't by no means small and I bet you got really nice goodies for it. If you can spend so much in games (I can't, I'm not ashamed to admit it), good for you, but please don't come to us and try to lecture about how we should judge this game and the current situation. Honestly, I think that you're being overly dramatic. But there's a reason why the Governments of the free world don't openly negociate with terrorists of any kind: if spending money would mean that the devs should comply to every whim, the game would tear apart because none can meet 100% your expectations.

I've spent about 90 $ and that's a huge investment for me, considering my current economy.

Clearly you have lower gaming standards than I. However it is you who are lecturing me on how I should feel. I simply gave my feedback as a customer on a public forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fonduemanviiifonduemanviii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why Buy AD when you can get them from playing anyway. I don't know why people are so butthurt about this. Exploiters Exploited a bug and the devs have done what they think is best for the situation. A rollback is fine with me, a wipe too if its necessary. I don't know why anyone would invest $600 dollars in a games currency when the game is in Beta and it is still a beta because things are still being developed (How can they test servers for beta without a large number of players). People who complain just annoy me because they are complaining about nothing. Play the game for fun not for Astral Diamond geeze
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You lose the rights of claiming Beta when you are actively promoting and taking real life money from your player-base.

I think today's reactions on the forum was definitely a bit too much (Class action lawsuit? Oh, please...), but this Beta defense has worn thin.

Ok.. Lets play that game then. If it's a release how many released games do you know of that had a character wipe 3-4 weeks after people started playing it? Can't have it both ways... If people want to keep going on and on about it not being a beta than they need to STFU about wipes already.

Whether you agree it's beta or not doesn't change the fact that they said no wipes after BW4. If people have issues with that maybe they shouldn't play the game until Cryptic considers it released and not "open beta".
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teepussi wrote: »
    How can you say AH was fine? Have you not read about fluctating AD & Zen markets that happeneds day before? The negative prices have existed whole time, only difference is that those abusing it were subtle about it. Theres no knowing how much AD was pumped inside the markets outside of Founder packs. Sure you can say markets would eventually balance out.

Also the overall issue is not that if some exploiter can turn his AD or Zen to cash by 3rd party sites. Its the inflation that eats everyones buying power, this game has somewhat good system to at least partly prevent too much AD from existing at same time with 24k AD daily cap + AH taking -10% cut of every sale. Only oddity really is founder packs, but that is accepted cause it goes to supporting the game (While overall wish they had other ways to rewards founders than pure AD, as it adds to inflation.)

Yes I do. There wasn't any PvP gear being sold for millions the past morning, but instead for 20 k. Heck, I bought three TR pieces yesterday.

I'm fully aware that the exploit issue has been gone through since day 1. What I meant to say is that it didn't affect the majority of the playerbase until now. The market was working as intended. Zen was worth about 360 AD per piece in Mindflayer.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Clearly you have lower gaming standards than I. However it is you who are lecturing me on how I should feel. I simply gave my feedback as a customer on a public forum.

My gaming standards are fine (though it would take a whole new thread to discuss what we consider as "gaming standards").

I'm sorry if I made you feel bad, but at least from what I read from your post, you were posting like you were a victim from abuse and try to make the community feel sympathetic about you. I've seen that argument already and went through it.

The solution the Devs have came up with actually benefit you the most, not a wipe. A wipe would kill the playerbase more than anything.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013

Sorry what? What you did was add yet another "Cry I'm leaving post" on a MMO forum. Before you talk about standards you had plenty of chances to play the game before spending money and despite this weekends debacle the core game has not changed in the slightest.

In fact I would be surprised if you did actually leave.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes I do. There wasn't any PvP gear being sold for millions the past morning, but instead for 20 k. Heck, I bought three TR pieces yesterday.

THIS!!! Right here is why these scrubs do not want the game wiped...READ IT CRYPTIC...

I think I have made my point..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eisprizessineisprizessin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THIS!!! Right here is why these scrubs do not want the game wiped...READ IT CRYPTIC...

So much this... I'm 100% behind you clockwerkninja. It's just a matter of people who got everything easy, intstead of working for it, like It was intended. Buying epic tier gear for amount of AD you can have in one day of gameplay, instead of fighting for it for weeks. The game looks broken beyond hope. Btw, it's really fun observing the main chat after a game relaunch. People selling cats left and right even now..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So much this... I'm 100% behind you clockwerkninja. Btw, it's really fun observing the main chat after a game relaunch. People selling cats left and right even now..

Oh? You logged back in? mmmeh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's very hard to take that kind of thing seriously. Not at all happy about the exploit but calling people scrubs who bought their gear thanks to an exploit vs people who used cash as being skilled ?

If you are serious about skill vs scrub, you need to play a game that doesn't give out gear advantages, and even goes so far as to normalize frame rates/latency for all players
  • Options
    eisprizessineisprizessin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh? You logged back in? mmmeh.

As a Realms fan for 15+ years it was hard to resist. Shame that a good game got killed so early. It seems I have to wait another 20 years for a next shot of Persistent World Realms game. Maybe next time in VR and Dalelands/ Cormyr/ Moonsea area
  • Options
    xakanrnxakanrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i lost about
  • Options
    kyuvenkyuven Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been MMO gaming for over 2 decades by this time. I honestly do not think they will be able to manage this disaster with no wipe.. The mules will return the AD to the economy, time and time again the hacker prove to be smarter than the dev's/mods..NWO will not survive this in the long run.

I know a lot of you do not see it, and you prolly even getting some lulz outta my problem with this ..In the long run however I feel I will be once again proven right..

Alrighty then...I'll humor you, fella.
    This is not the first time, nor will it be the last time, a game's economy has been torpedoed by a group of idiots. I, too, have been in the MMO scene for nearly two decades and have seen this kind of thing before:
    1) An exploit happens.
    2) Chicken Littles come out and say only a FULL SERVER WIPE can save the economy! (which is the equivalent of solving a broken arm by cutting off the arm and attaching a new one)
    3) People threaten to quit(and in a few cases, actually go through with it) if their pet solution isn't implemented.
    4) Time passes, it just becomes an interesting anecdote months later that people nostalgic for the "old days" remember...while complaining about the new classes/races/features.

Games where idiot "hackers" have torpedoed an economy include Final Fantasy XI and the first EverQuest, albeit using different methods. They reacted in much the same way (well, FFXI took too **** long and ended up solving absolutely nothing to the point new American players had to get by by selling overpriced crystals to Japanese players so they could afford their newbie gear) to the same kind of reaction from the players...and both are still around. I'll grant you, neither had a cash shop nor did were they in beta at this time, but the events didn't kill the games. This game won't die because of this either.

As for cash grab? Well how the hell else do you expect them to PAY their employees? Magic beans? They open the cash shop during Open Beta to a) fund the game, b) test the cash shop itself, c) have it as an incentive for players to stick around, since they have money invested, and since money is invested it's almost a guarantee there won't be wipes. This isn't a p2p game where they can bank on box sales and subscriptions to fund the game, they need revenue from the cash shop ASAP, even if this means giving the image that an open beta is actually a soft launch.
    If anyone has a problem with a company making money, quit. Go play something where the people behind it don't care about money.
  • Options
    czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    kyuven wrote: »
    As for cash grab? Well how the hell else do you expect them to PAY their employees? Magic beans?

A typical succesfull F2P game has around 90%+ margin without the cash grab. EOT.

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • Options
    kyuvenkyuven Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A typical succesfull F2P game has around 90%+ margin without the cash grab. EOT.

Regards,
    Kalantris

and this money comes from...?
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No one is selling cats.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

No actually you just failed in that by using the term scrub. I do not want the game wiped because I've already invested time in it and they said there would be no wipes. I do notice you are still posting and have not "quit" yet so please hurry along.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Regards,
    Kalantris

And that particular statistic comes from where exactly? Does it factor in development costs and paying potentially hundreds of employees for years to make the game? Does it account for all the thousands of extras that have to be paid for before a product becomes profitable?

Or are you just making **** up to look clever?
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't learn my lesson after Champ online but I sure did with Star Trek Online when they released such a broken mess that they had to apologize left and right to the lifetime sub customers that plopped down $200 for a game that was litterally only half made with the Klingon faction not even having any quests. I got a refund for that and didn't sink a dime into this. I played a little but they weren't getting a penny from me.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kyuven wrote: »
    As for cash grab? Well how the hell else do you expect them to PAY their employees?
    It appears they only have 2-3 employees so it shouldn't be hard.