test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Blame Cryptic, not the exploiters

124»

Comments

• Options
    natakutdhnatakutdh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    It's not the exploiters fault that the game is so poorly designed and coded that its riddled with ten billion exploits. blame cryptic instead

Because, you know... making a game is easy, even you have done it, and this game has been released....
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I blame Cryptic for being naive, but the exploiters had no right to do what they did.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    nausumnausum Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    yes that's true, but its hard to round up all the exploiters, since using a bot to do small transactions is harder to detect than a guy bidding the highest value possible in one shot
  • Options
    noelinwnoelinw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    This is why the world is ****ed up.

exactly ... locks are designed to keep honest people from stealing. most people dont even have a sense of integrity
  • Options
    nausumnausum Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    They never do, but neither do rapists, criminals, pedophiles. That's why we have cops, and swat teams, and lawyers, and prisons, and taxes.
  • Options
    melanko0melanko0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silvernite wrote: »
    Wrong

Cheating, hacking and exploiting isn't the nature of technology, it's the nature of criminals, it's the nature of people that don't have the correct morals and principles.

Every person has a choice of whether to do thing right or wrong. Each choice has it's pros and cons.

So let's look at this example. You have an account with with a company online and they store your private information like your name, address, email and credit card information. After a while they release a statement that they've been hacked and users' private information was stolen. You find out that the problem could have been remedied with simple checks for security.

So you have your name, address, email and credit card information now stolen. Is the company that is holding your information just going to be let off the hook indefinitely? NO! They will not only lose customers and customer's trust, but also get fined by the PCI authorities and maybe even the government.

When you run a service online you have to ensure the integrity of information and the logic surrounding it and that is just the bottom line. It's not a matter of will you get hacked but a matter of when and if you a prepared for it.
  • Options
    flakelessflakeless Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I blame Cryptic for being naive, but the exploiters had no right to do what they did.

Yeah, it's both of their faults. Players for abusing the exploit, and the company's for not fixing it a long time ago back on STO.
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, it's more like a bank has their vault undergoing security tests, and one of the security team found a way to get in and steal the money. Then the bank gets angry at the security testers for having broken in which was their job to do in the 1st place.

Did the exploiters take it a little far? Yes. Did the exploiters do something wrong in the 1st place? No. The game is in open beta, and that means it's undergoing a process in which it relies on the player base to test the games limits, and to find anything that could be game breaking.

If this had happened while the game was LIVE, I would be going ape**** but it didn't. It happened during a beta phase. I'm glad that the problem was caught and fixed in beta stage.

Uh... If that security team keeps the money for themselves, then tells the entire world about how to exploit that security breach... then yes, I believe the bank has every right to be mad at them. In fact, that would be very much against the law.

And even if it wasn't against the law, since when did human beings gain the moral authority to exploit a bug in the system by virtue of finding the bug in that system? Just because something is possible doesn't make it morally justified.

I'm also curious, what, to you, is the difference between "beta" and "live"? If you compare Neverwinter to any other MMO on the market, I think you'll find that PWE's definition of "open beta" is the very same as any other publisher's definition of "fully released."

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    It's not the exploiters fault that the game is so poorly designed and coded that its riddled with ten billion exploits. blame cryptic instead

Bull****... I blame the exploiters. I hope they die in fire.
  • Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not a murderer's fault that knives happen to be able to go right through someone's eye. You can't blame them for doing it! Yes, that's completely valid. Such sound reasoning can be found on these forums sometimes...
  • Options
    arcanawolfarcanawolf Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On other games I've played, those who reported exploits got rewarded for doing so.

Exploiting a game doesn't necessarily make someone a bad person. Opportunistic, and inconsiderate,but not bad. Nevertheless, I place the majority of the blame on the exploiters because now the devs have to spend time fixing this mess. I had envisioned a nice, quiet evening playing this right after 'Game of Thrones' only to end up with the message "Server Unavailable" upon attempted login.

Seriously...have a bit of pride, or self control. Exploiting only got them caught, and pretty much inconvenienced both the devs, and those who play honestly/were hoping to play tonight.

And if the Devs had known of this exploit before this happened, then part of the blame goes to them too. I know that MMOs can be buggy, and that it takes time to sort them out, but when it comes to an exploit that is directly linked to the game's currency, there is little excuse for not having sorted it out at the time.

In any case. what's done is done. Nothing much to do now but wait for the game to come back on. Hopefully it happens before my turtle's attempts to pull my computer plug out of its socket comes to fruition.