test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If they wipe, i wont come back

13»

Comments

• pwiratgirlpwiratgirl Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This. Everyone calling for a wipe. There will ALWAYS be economy/game ruining exploits. If a company has no way to find cheaters and ban then - that is ridiculous. Are they going to wipe everyone after every period of exploiting? If they have to rollback or wipe now then you know they have no systems/appropriate logs in place to ever be able to deal with this and there is no reason to play because cheating will happen again and again.

Yes, they can find the cheaters and exploiters. Some of them. Perhaps even most of them. But every time it happens, more and more slip through the cracks. If you end up with a half-dozen "massive exploits" that explode across the servers and rock the market, after a while there are going to be LOTS of "overlooked" beneficiaries from these exploits. Not every exploiter just leaves 500 million AD sitting on one character. They spread it out to mules, friends, or some even just throw it out into the public at large.

As I said, as more exploits are found and blow up, it's going to become harder and harder to justify NOT doing a clean-slate-wipe when they "officially" launch the game. Yes, they "promised" not to, but by doing so they've hamstrung themselves. Taking the ultimate balancing tool off the table means that each time this happens, more and more of the exploiters/hackers/whatever end up getting away with it because the tools to root them out are never 100%.

Unfortunately, I think even if there are several more (and likely will be), they'll still cling to the "we're not going to wipe" mantra, and more and more people will end up leaving because of it. While wiping would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off a lot of people, and make some leave, NOT doing so will do the same thing for others. Once again: If they're going to insist that the game is still in "beta", then TREAT IT like a beta. Don't treat it like a launched game that you've labeled "open beta".

They're in a lose-lose situation, and they put themselves there.
  • imperius85imperius85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's very unfortunate that they aren't going to wipe.. I'm sure if they did, all the real cash items would be refunded. Who cares about levels honestly, you can get them back and enjoy the game while doing so.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LOL, Half your guild is gonna quit. Yah sure. Everyone talks it.

Reality people, lets try it for a second. If they don't wipe, you won't quit.

You may <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and moan about if for the next few days, but you won't quit.

Maybe, MAYBE a handful of you will try to be the Nelson Mandela of Neverwinter and make your goodbye posts and quit, good riddance. )Most likely return under a different name a few days later).

If they do wipe, tens of thousands will quit. Completely innocent regular folks that are completely unaware of anything that has transpired. People who do not come to the forums will go to log in, see everything they have done just gone. They will just say to themselves, well, That's stupid. I'm not going to play that anymore.

They actually will quit. That is the majority of players. We tend to compare ourselves with familiarity - i.e. other Forum people and passionate players. We think everyone thinks like we do but the reality is to most people this is just a fun little video game they are playing.

These exploits, hacks, bans, whatever you want to call them are completely foreign to them. They don't care and they don't have any interest in them one way or another.

As much as you may not like it, these are the folks that must be catered to. These people make up the vast majority of the people you see, in the game playing!

They never use Zone chat, they never use Team Speak or Vent. Believe me these are the meat and potatoes of the player base.

Not you, not me, not us. You can not punish the whole for something just a few people did. It is asinine that we are still having this conversation.
  • nivasparklesnivasparkles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pwiratgirl wrote: »
    Yes, they can find the cheaters and exploiters. Some of them. Perhaps even most of them. But every time it happens, more and more slip through the cracks. If you end up with a half-dozen "massive exploits" that explode across the servers and rock the market, after a while there are going to be LOTS of "overlooked" beneficiaries from these exploits. Not every exploiter just leaves 500 million AD sitting on one character. They spread it out to mules, friends, or some even just throw it out into the public at large.

As I said, as more exploits are found and blow up, it's going to become harder and harder to justify NOT doing a clean-slate-wipe when they "officially" launch the game. Yes, they "promised" not to, but by doing so they've hamstrung themselves. Taking the ultimate balancing tool off the table means that each time this happens, more and more of the exploiters/hackers/whatever end up getting away with it because the tools to root them out are never 100%.

Unfortunately, I think even if there are several more (and likely will be), they'll still cling to the "we're not going to wipe" mantra, and more and more people will end up leaving because of it. While wiping would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off a lot of people, and make some leave, NOT doing so will do the same thing for others. Once again: If they're going to insist that the game is still in "beta", then TREAT IT like a beta. Don't treat it like a launched game that you've labeled "open beta".

They're in a lose-lose situation, and they put themselves there.

The problem is its not beta its release. It will probably be "open beta" for a very long time - its a way to justify releasing a game that's not finished since studios are being asked to push games out the door in unfinished states and make some money. If they need to wipe now from cheating then what happens in 3 months from now? 6 months from now? 2 years from now when more exploits are used? Cheating will always happen - it happens in every game constantly - and if your only solution is to wipe you may as well pack up your game and go home.