test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Regen Tank/Healer: Gear choices and build

unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in The Temple
I'm creating a new thread because they seem to refuse to move the old one here...

This is my final build for this cleric* and I'm pretty happy with it. The major changes are in gear choices though I've changed some feats around.

The goal was the same as always, I wanted to be as tanky as possible while still being an effective healer. The way i achieved this goal was by stacking Regeneration up to 1,400 which is 10.2% regen (it's possible to get up to at least 1,800 or 11.9% regen). I then hunted for things which produce a synergy with Regeneration.

Regeneration Synergy:
  • Toughness (more health, more regen)
  • Defense Slot Radiant Enchantments (more health)
  • Holy Resolve (have a lot of health and time to regen)
  • Greater Soulforged (safety net and gives time to regen)
  • Miracle Healer Set (assuming bonus works, alternates suggested in video)
  • Invigorated Healing
  • Moontouched

That's the basis of the build anyway.

Here's the video showing the gear/build and providing a bit more detail:
http://youtu.be/Gi-0mZoiV7M

PvP with this same gear/build:
http://youtu.be/mm-eHPo8PSc
Obviously you lose most of the regen since the cat can't be used in PvP. I only link it because some really care about PvP and I was using this build/gear for it. PvP in this game isn't really my thing though.

I haven't recorded any dungeon runs with this gear load-out yet but it works wonderfully.

Edit: *While I'm done with THIS cleric I'm not done trying new stuff. I have another theory for a build I want to test but it's not possible with a 20/20/20 stat distribution and I can't get the stats I want on this cleric. I am very happy with the Regen Tank build though. I just get my fun out of trying/creating new builds and testing things. I just don't feel I can really make a significantly better Tanky-Healer so I'm moving on to another project.
Post edited by unspecifiederror on

Comments

• Options
    octopusbreadguyoctopusbreadguy Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While informative i feel like your videos could be about 80% shorter and say the exact same thing
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Good stuff Unspec. Always fun to watch.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    sipylussipylus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey great guides - two things ...

1) Do you recommend Drow (to those of use that have spent the money), and
    2) Could you do a bit of a write up in text? Hard to refer to your youtube vids on the fly :)
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sipylus wrote: »
    Hey great guides - two things ...

1) Do you recommend Drow (to those of use that have spent the money), and
    2) Could you do a bit of a write up in text? Hard to refer to your youtube vids on the fly :)

1) I don't exactly regret choosing Drow. Human has +3% defense (don't care) and +2 to any stat (irrelevant since Drow gets Wisdom as a choice). The 3 feats humans get are nice but so is Fairie Fire. As a min/max'er I'd probably go human if I was to reroll but Drow is a perfectly fine choice. I am currently leveling a second cleric for experimental reasons that may change my answer on this, but it'll be a few days before I have any answers. It won't change the fact that Human and Drow are fine choices, it just might change what is the 'optimal' choice for a min/maxer and a particular build.

2) I've received a lot of requests for this and I'm planning to do a write-up that is sort of independent of my videos but says a lot of the same stuff. Write ups like that just take me significantly longer to produce than the videos I've done.
  • Options
    icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting build unspecified. However what I do find strange is that your hp is 27k with 10% regen, yet you regen at 1050-1350'ish. (which is basically 4-5% not 10%) Which makes me suspect that regen suffers from the -40% healing to ourselves?

I'm all for going defensive but didn't really consider regen, I'm not really convinced by your vid though. While defense/deflect might not be that great, I feel it adds more survivability to spikes. Basically if you are forced out of AS or in a bad spot, I feel it is superior.

Interested in your other build. I'm running a high cha/rec cleric atm and as far as I understood that is your reroll so I'm curious. ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Interesting build unspecified. However what I do find strange is that your hp is 27k with 10% regen, yet you regen at 1050-1350'ish. (which is basically 4-5% not 10%) Which makes me suspect that regen suffers from the -40% healing to ourselves?

I'm all for going defensive but didn't really consider regen, I'm not really convinced by your vid though. While defense/deflect might not be that great, I feel it adds more survivability to spikes. Basically if you are forced out of AS or in a bad spot, I feel it is superior.

Interested in your other build. I'm running a high cha/rec cleric atm and as far as I understood that is your reroll so I'm curious. ;-)

Regen is X% of your missing health, not max health. Though it does seem my regen was capping at 1,370 for some reason (only realized that earlier today). I don't know if that is a hard cap or not. If it does hard-cap at 1,370 then higher regen would only help you reach the hard-cap sooner. There may be some other variable that determines where regen caps.

The main advantage of regen is that it's a way to heal while moving/kiting. I wouldn't ever sacrifice excessive amounts of defense for regen, which is why I still have 2k defense. I actually sacrificed defense for Max Health instead which has a number of things it synergizes with, regen is just one of them. If nothing else because of the way DR works you get more bang for your stats in the first 2k of any stat than you do after that so it doesn't hurt that much to spread points around.

As for my next test/build, I would have said 2-3 days but with the game/economy/AH the way it is right now I have no idea. I need to be able to buy certain things which simply weren't on the AH today because of all this BS (and I'm not so sure 8 million AD is enough anymore if prices shoot up...). Whatever happens though I'll end up posting the results of my experiment if/when I manage to test it, for science and stuff.
  • Options
    sipylussipylus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    icecreamcart - are you running a tiefling cha/int build or somesuch?
  • Options
    izzojoeflizzowizzojoeflizzow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello, Could you post a screenshot of your feats and powers please. I dont have a fast internet connection to load a 25 minute video.
  • Options
    kiri6kiri6 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you! Always great stuff, Unspecified. It's a great thing you're doing for the cleric community, spending all this time trying stuff out and sharing your results with us. I plan to respec into this build soon, survivability should be any healer's first priority, since we're no good dead.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Regen caps at 50% health.

So it heals for 10% of your missing health up to 50% missing health.

20k health = up to 1k health tics max.
  • Options
    bakemonoplbakemonopl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi :)
    Feats and powers used in this build

kler.jpg
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hi,
    Interesting. I might check this out if/when I hit 60 on my cleric(Im 45 now). Since aggro is through the roof when we heal, why not make us tanky so we can take a punch? Do you think it is easy to acquire the stats necessary to achieve this? I didn't watch all of your video, but I do not think clerics have a threat generator...how would you maintain aggro in groups? Simply by healing? What if there is a Guardian Fighter in the group? Who is to be the tank?
  • Options
    izzojoeflizzowizzojoeflizzow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you. It was kinda confusing looking at the power calculator, but I understand it now.
  • Options
    icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Regen is X% of your missing health, not max health. Though it does seem my regen was capping at 1,370 for some reason (only realized that earlier today). I don't know if that is a hard cap or not. If it does hard-cap at 1,370 then higher regen would only help you reach the hard-cap sooner. There may be some other variable that determines where regen caps.

The main advantage of regen is that it's a way to heal while moving/kiting. I wouldn't ever sacrifice excessive amounts of defense for regen, which is why I still have 2k defense. I actually sacrificed defense for Max Health instead which has a number of things it synergizes with, regen is just one of them. If nothing else because of the way DR works you get more bang for your stats in the first 2k of any stat than you do after that so it doesn't hurt that much to spread points around.

As for my next test/build, I would have said 2-3 days but with the game/economy/AH the way it is right now I have no idea. I need to be able to buy certain things which simply weren't on the AH today because of all this BS (and I'm not so sure 8 million AD is enough anymore if prices shoot up...). Whatever happens though I'll end up posting the results of my experiment if/when I manage to test it, for science and stuff.

I see. Isn't it wonderful to have clear and transparant ingame info on stats/feats/powers/etc.. :D I'm usually pretty interested in mechanics & formulas and this game is a nightmare.

I can completely agree that regen must work well with kiting or tanking many weak adds. However let's make a scenario where it is not a good stat. If we take a lot of dmg from multiple mobs in a timeframe of three seconds, the value of regen will take a dive. From my experience it's easier to die from a burst than from slowly dieing.
    When things get a bit too much in terms of dps taken, me or party members should take action. Burst damage is much less controllable and usually happens by a bad play or bad luck. In this scenario I feel defense/deflect/hp are all better stats then regen (even with DR).

Anyway, I didn't think regen was a valid stat but it seems it has some potential.

@sipylus: No I run a cha>wis human. I'm not a big fan of int as a secondary ability. Crit/pow/str/wis is debatable but I'll not go into that in this thread. I do feel that recovery is still the better stat even if we consider diminishing returns (to a certain point). I mainly use sun burst, as & chains... it doesn't need crit it doesnt need power, it mainly needs to keep mobs away. However I still need to do enough dmg/healing to have DP/AP up. (hence I feel totally min-maxing 1 stat will be too much when it comes to DR)

2cent~
  • Options
    jamtrousersjamtrousers Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bakemonopl wrote: »

kler.jpg

Thanks, I was wondering what the exact spec was.
  • Options
    jefe4lifejefe4life Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unspecified,

After reading this forum and watching your Video what would be the most important stat to get on your gear?

Everyone is saying dont worry about Power so what do I want the most Regen > Recovery > Defense?
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bakemonopl wrote: »

kler.jpg
    Why wouldn't you use 1 point for an extra DP pip? 1 point from righteousness seems to make sense.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jefe4life wrote: »
    Unspecified,

After reading this forum and watching your Video what would be the most important stat to get on your gear?

Everyone is saying dont worry about Power so what do I want the most Regen > Recovery > Defense?
    1. Get 33% Recharge Speed Increase. How much recovery this requires varies based on your Charisma and Intelligence scores. You NEED a 15 second, or less CD on Astral Shield.
    2. Get Critical Chance up between 25% and 33%. Again how much Critical Strike you need depends on your Strength.
    3. Get around 2,000 Defense.
    4. Stack Regeneration and +Health while maintaining the above.

Regeneration stacking is really the ultimate goal but I don't think you should sacrifice the other 3 criteria to do it, especially not 1). Crit is a bit more flexible but I like to have my crit somewhere in that range. Defense makes regeneration and +Health better but around 2k is where DR starts to set in. It might be better to go for more defense, but I haven't done the math on it to really figure it out.
    torskaldr wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you use 1 point for an extra DP pip? 1 point from righteousness seems to make sense.

Because the extra Pip is useless. I should NEVER have 3 full pips, I should be using DP not saving up 4 pips of it. If I actually had 4 full pips of DP I've been doing something wrong, like putting down a yellow circle or not casting Forgemaster's or Daunting Light (whichever I'm running) in divine mode. I don't see any purpose in having a higher max DP when I'm already never at full DP and I don't ever want to have full DP (except maybe right before a boss fight I'll build up spare DP).

If I was going to pull a point from Rising Hope (I assume that's what you meant by righteousness) I would put it back in Ethereal Boon waaayyyy before Greater Divine Power. More DP regen >>>>>>>>>>>>> a higher max DP I'll never fill.
  • Options
    groborthirgroborthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Unspecified, how do you go about amassing 2000 defense? I've gone a different path where I'm stacking power, and the gear I've gone for only takes me to 1584 defense in full T2 gear (two piece beacon of faith, two piece miracle healer, etc.), and I can't seem to get higher without dropping massively in stats like recovery and power. Even my cat has T2 epics, the 150 defense necklace and a 150 defense enchant in its belt.
    "Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!"
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    groborthir wrote: »
    Unspecified, how do you go about amassing 2000 defense?

Because he uses alot of Rank 9-10 Runes for slots and specific BLUES (not purples) for his cat/stone. He's Rick James and rich!! Trust me...i'm in his guild :p
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    jefe4lifejefe4life Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Get 33% Recharge Speed Increase. How much recovery this requires varies based on your Charisma and Intelligence scores. You NEED a 15 second, or less CD on Astral Shield.
    2. Get Critical Chance up between 25% and 33%. Again how much Critical Strike you need depends on your Strength.
    3. Get around 2,000 Defense.
    4. Stack Regeneration and +Health while maintaining the above.

Regeneration stacking is really the ultimate goal but I don't think you should sacrifice the other 3 criteria to do it, especially not 1). Crit is a bit more flexible but I like to have my crit somewhere in that range. Defense makes regeneration and +Health better but around 2k is where DR starts to set in. It might be better to go for more defense, but I haven't done the math on it to really figure it out.

That being said, I made a Dwarf Cleric- I focused mainly on Wisdom because I assumed NW was like any other mmo where you focus on a main ability--- WRONG- So from 1 - 60 I put a point into strength and a point into Cha distributing it evenly giving me 20 str 20 cha and 22 wis (dont recall what my Int is at)

Which of these should i sacrifice to get my INT up to the proper amount to assure I get the 15 sec or less Cool down on AS?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And is there a way through runes or gear stats that I can increase cool down in general?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Because he uses alot of Rank 9-10 Runes for slots and specific BLUES (not purples) for his cat/stone. He's Rick James and rich!! Trust me...i'm in his guild :p

That's not entirely true. I only have one rank 10 and most of the runes I've used are rank 7's in my current gear. Most of the blues are regen only items. I show all my gear in the video, but here's the 2,103 defense:

Miracle Healers helm/gloves boots = 220 x 3 = 660
    Miracle Healer's Armor = 330
    Nightmare Icon = 50
    Ring of Greater Repulsion = 150 x 2 = 300
    Thickgristle's Belt with r7 Azure = 69 + 185 = 254
    Gemmed Exquisite shirt/pants = 54 + 54 = 108
    2 R7 Azures on Cat = 185 + 185 = 370 x 1.085 (eldritch stone) = 401.45

660 + 330 + 50 + 300 + 254 + 108 + 401.45 = 2,103.45
    jefe4life wrote: »
    And is there a way through runes or gear stats that I can increase cool down in general?

Recovery affects recharge rate, though the diminishing returns on it make it less desirable after around 3,000 for general purposes. I'm working on testing ridiculously high levels of recovery right now, just need the AH to come back up.
  • Options
    mrblazermrblazer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would you rather get the Cat first or some gear?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mrblazer wrote: »
    Would you rather get the Cat first or some gear?

I would start with the Cat. It takes a while to level it if you are already 60 and have no quests to do.

My rule is: Buy what doesn't drop from what you're already doing first because you might get the drop while saving up for other stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Do pets get xp from quests as well or just mobs you kill?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mrblazer wrote: »
    Do pets get xp from quests as well or just mobs you kill?

They get XP from quests, including foundry quest completion XP. I leveled my cat while leveling but ran with my golem through everything, just switched in the cat before turn ins. My Ion Stone I ran foundry quests during the 150% XP events.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ahh ok, Im already 60 so my quess is to do foundry quests.
    Btw where can i get the Ion Stone? Is it the one from the zen market?
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's an interesting build, but it'd a lot less mind-numbing to have a brief written summary. The video is very slow and rambling, and the OPs voice is far too flat and calming (it made me snort at "with my intelligence and charisma how they are..").

So, good work OP, but please consider different presentation strategies.
  • Options
    onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've watched the videos and I got interested in this video. So I decided to try it out :3.

I'm however doing it with another race. I know you suggested Tiefling, Human, and Drow, but I decided to go with Half Elf.

Here's why. You can start off with 14, 16, 14 with them easily. You get a +2 to constitution as well for more life down the road, which I like. Then I put the other +2 to Wis to get the 14, 18, 14 look. Then they get a +1 to Intelligence thanks to Dilettante so that helps a bit in the long run as well. Then there's the +1% to both Deflect and Crit Severity.

I hope it goes well xD

Thank you again for the build.