test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this against terms of service?

lazerglovezlazerglovez Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
See link below, you can watch the whole thing but skipping to 11 minutes 30 seconds will give you the idea. I joined pvp today and was teamed against a guild, they had 2 clerics on their team that was obviously using some sort of software to control two characters at one time. Since perfect world has commented that using any third party software is against the ToS, where does this fall? The guy claims its not a violation. If it is not against ToS, it definitely should be, because things like this will make half of the games players at least to stop playing entirely. This on top of afks? Are you kidding me?

I would report this but contacting customer support or GMs in the past has never yielded me any results. So before I do, I figured I would show the community and if the topic gets removed Ill know that in fact it is against terms of service.

http://www.twitch.tv/r33f3r/b/403499737
Post edited by lazerglovez on

Comments

• Options
    lazerglovezlazerglovez Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ummm bump? people need to watch this
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't want to watch it.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I can control up to 5 characters at once without using software. Wanna tell me how its so obvious he is using software?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Alright its not software, thats not really the point, how is this acceptable?
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Report him and move on.

PWE will not tell you what they do about it due to company policy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dont care, I like my playstyle
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Normally, multiboxing is not against the ToS in any game that I'm aware of. The caveat, is that the player must manually control each character and not automate any actions. Whether or not this is actually detectable, I have no idea. Pretty much why having player run economies in games like this is a really stupid and meaningless exercise. ESPECIALLY in F2P games where you can create an unlimited amount of accounts, and ESPEICALLY in MMO's where gameplay is so streamlined and easy (although in this case I suppose gameplay doesn't even matter for farming AD).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well from my experience, which obviously, seeing my join date is not very long with perfect world; all the money I have spent on neverwinter goes directly into the community managers pockets. I say this because they are the only ones that I, as a customer, see affecting the players, and they only control the forums. I know this isnt true but it feels true.

I dont expect to hear from GMs or customer service, like I just said in my OP, I have had many issues that Ive requested be resolved and never have they come through for me. Even though I have spent well over 100 dollars on their game. Pretty sad over all. If this happens frequently I will not continue to play my favorite part of neverwinter, the pvp.

Pboar, you say you can control 5 characters without any software. That is impossible. Hardware is controlled with firmware, which is a form of software. If that firmware was not created by perfect world, how is this NOT a violation of the Tos?

Please explain.

Also, tell me how this is not exploiting game mechanics for an advantage?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well from my experience, which obviously, seeing my join date is not very long with perfect world; all the money I have spent on neverwinter goes directly into the community managers pockets. I say this because they are the only ones that I, as a customer, see affecting the players, and they only control the forums. I know this isnt true but it feels true.

I dont expect to hear from GMs or customer service, like I just said in my OP, I have had many issues that Ive requested be resolved and never have they come through for me. Even though I have spent well over 100 dollars on their game. Pretty sad over all. If this happens frequently I will not continue to play my favorite part of neverwinter, the pvp.

Most of the CM's here are Volunteers. They dont get paid by Cryptic or PWE
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »

The CMs I have been in contact with told me they were employed by Perfect World and were covered by laws which grant them certain privileges and immunities. Employed in my mind, means they make money.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The CMs I have been in contact with told me they were employed by Perfect World and were covered by laws which grant them certain privileges and immunities. Employed in my mind, means they make money.

Which ones? Links to their posts?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dont care, I like my playstyle

You like playing 5 characters at once so that you can afk farm glory from pvp? Sounds like another way to exploit to me. Surprised more people arent upset like I am
    Which ones? Links to their posts?

It wasnt a post, it was in a serious of private messages.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You need to stop thinking that your interpretation of something is in fact the truth. You have been proven wrong on this before
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    I can control up to 5 characters at once without using software. Wanna tell me how its so obvious he is using software?

Do you have ten arms?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »
    Do you have ten arms?

No I have one keyboard and one mouse hooked up to 5 computers
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

CM is an overloaded acronym.

The Community Moderators are volunteers.

The Community Managers are Cryptic employees.

Or so I believe.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No I have one keyboard and one mouse hooked up to 5 computers

As long as one action (key-press, mouse action) results in only one action on one character, then it's not a violation. If one action sends signals to all five clients, then it's problematic.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know of a stream for a good multiboxer? Get a full team going at least and make it interesting.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    As long as one action (key-press, mouse action) results in only one action on one character, then it's not a violation. If one action sends signals to all five clients, then it's problematic.

My keyboard spreads the signal to all 5 computers. This hardware is not illegal
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reminds me of the one man WoW raid. ;)

I've seen it in other games, and i believe it's okay TOS wise, it's annoying as heck and feels like cheese when you go up against them, but as long as there aren't other programs controlling actions, and it's one button press does only one action (regardless of how many characters) it's allowed. I'm baffled how it's set up here, with how characters are controlled, and i don't believe there is a /follow command. Most of the time you can beat them with figuring out which is the 'lead' character, and controlling it, or doing a fear type scatter effect, that seems to work in other games.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My keyboard spreads the signal to all 5 computers. This hardware is not illegal

It certainly is against the rules in GW2. I don't know whether Cryptic has come down on one-side of the other about this, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's just multiboxing and very common in MMO's. I'm thinking of renewing my service with inner space for ISBoxer and having a go at this game. It would be much more enjoyable for me to run 5 man stuff with my own team controlled by me rather than have to deal with some of the clearly disturbed and educationally challenged people that turn up in pugs.

I've not known of a game yet that has declared multiboxing against the TOS.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    it's one button press does only one action (regardless of how many characters)

Actually a couple of games (most notably GW2) came out recently and said it has to be one action on one character, and I can see a lot of games doing the same.
  • Options
    jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Muitboxes should be ban
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Privileges and immunities from what? From Perfect World? Can PW get me off this pesky murder charge if I work for them? That's utter nonsense formed from a narcissistic wish to seem important to a community.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Actually a couple of games (most notably GW2) came out recently and said it has to be one action on one character, and I can see a lot of games doing the same.

freemium games might go that way but nobody charging a subscription will ever stop it. ( as you need an account per character )
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Privileges and immunities from what? From Perfect World? Can PW get me off this pesky murder charge if I work for them? That's utter nonsense formed from a narcissistic wish to seem important to a community.

Its really none of your business, hence why I was contacting him over private messages. The individual Im speaking of was in fact a Community Manager. And if I had a lawyer for this situation, the judge would agree that firmware controlling a split signal to 5 boxes was in fact a form of software not developed by Perfect World.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Its really none of your business, hence why I was contacting him over private messages. The individual Im speaking of was in fact a Community Manager. And if I had a lawyer for this situation, the judge would agree that firmware controlling a split signal to 5 boxes was in fact a form of software not developed by Perfect World.

And my hardware that splits my signal to 5 cojmputers?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    freemium games might go that way but nobody charging a subscription will ever stop it. ( as you need an account per character )

You might be surprised. The number of accounts used by multiboxers is a tiny fraction of a percentage. It wouldn't cost a company much to ban such people, and they'd garner considerable goodwill from it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And my hardware that splits my signal to 5 cojmputers?

And if I had a lawyer for this situation, the judge would agree that firmware controlling a split signal to 5 boxes was in fact a form of software not developed by Perfect World.

Can you not read simple english? lol wtf, the people who control 5 characters with one controller must need it to feel smarter or something..