test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About the AH prices of the Twilight Nightmare.

imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The Twilight Nightmare is currently selling for around 1.5M AD in the Auction House, and I'm trying to figure out why players (the same ones usually) are selling it so cheaply.

The Twilight Nightmare is obtained for 2500 trade bars, which originate from lockboxes. The average amount of trade bars from those lockboxes is around 10 (based on the 70 or so that I have opened). Keys cost, if bought in 10-packs, 1150 Zen per unit. Based on this, you need to spend an average of 28,750 Zen ($287,50) in order to buy a Twilight Nightmare. The current AH price (1.5M) only equals about 4100 (365:1), or $41.

So, what am I missing? The 250 boxes yield other items that have a value, like the Idols that are worth 40k AK, but the regular Nightmare is very rare and, besides, only sells for 800-900k AD or so and the Phoera is fairly worthless. Profession persons are relatively low value as an after effect from the fixed Neverdeath quest issue. I don't see what you get on average from the lockboxes accumulating to a total of ~$250 (25,000 Zen).

Are people "laundering" AD gotten by selling items that were gotten through by-now fixed methods? (Some of the Twilight Nightmare sellers are the same ones who flooded the market with cheap profession assets.) Or is it just a gamble that 250 boxes provide enough stuff that covers the cost and the Twilight Mare becomes just a bonus? (I don't really see this.)

But obviously, I am overlooking something. :)
Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
Post edited by imivo on

Comments

• djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It could be that there are other mounts buyable with zen cheaper that do the same thing - the only difference is the skin. There will be people who just HAVE to have it but i think most people are happy with other options. if u think about it 1.5m ad right now is somewhere around $30. for that price u can just a different mount with zen and forget about which "skin" ur mount has being that its the only difference between the 2
  • mohannmohann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Are people "laundering" AD gotten by selling items that were gotten through by-now fixed methods?

There you have your answer. Welcome to exploiters' paradise.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mohann wrote: »
    There you have your answer. Welcome to exploiters' paradise.

^ this......
  • badatmathbadatmath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    ^ this......
    ^ totally this
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unholyjedi wrote: »
    You know what the sad thing is? there are way to many in game now that its value is not worth half of what they want for the Mount LoL....Think I will just pay 40 bux cash and get the mount I Do want LoL. since the system that decides the mount from that box is glitched or rigged. I Seen a player in game get 2 of them mounts in a row....

****, ive opened about 100 selling all the stuff i get out of them + buying stuff with tarmalune bars to sell and havent gotten one. what the hell are the odds on those things!

Ive made and lost money doing this method but overall im very much even roughly 100 lockboxes later
  • badatmathbadatmath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lets hope the game last long enough for you to enjoy that $40 mount :o
  • proqludumproqludum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    Isn't the Twilight Nightmare an single char mount ? I mean if you buy the 4000 zen mount from the zen store it unlocks on all your chars. If that's true then the price for the nightmare mount is actually to high.
  • sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The original post was somewhat confusing to me, mixing in $ needlessly, so I thought I'd clarify it for myself, and for anyone who didn't follow:
    • The mount costs 2500 bars.
    • There's 10 bars in a lockbox.
    • Mount therefore requires 250 lockboxes to be opened with keys.
    • Keys cost 112.5 zen a piece (1125 zen for 10 keys).
    • Mount therefore requires 28125 zen.
    • Right now, zen sells for 390 AD per 1 zen.
    • Mount therefore costs 10968750 AD.

That's 11 million AD to buy the mount via lockboxes, and sells for 1-2 million AD in the auction house. Assuming a lower price of 360 AD per zen, where it has been, the mount would cost 10125000 AD.

Now, why so cheap? Well, most likely people don't understand it's value in this manner. Also, people do get 250 boxes worth of other items as well, which should make up at least a part of that 8.5-9.5 million AD difference. I mean, 9 million divided by 250 is only 36000, so the average value of a single box would only have to be 36000 AD for the seller to lose nothing. I'd think the average value of a single box is a bit higher than that, and if not for all, then at least for a lucky few who then may have dropped the price of the mount.

I'm still guessing though, that it's nothing but people not valuing the mount in this manner. Plus, who would buy it, if it cost 10 million AD?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sydanyo wrote: »
    I'm still guessing though, that it's nothing but people not valuing the mount in this manner. Plus, who would buy it, if it cost 10 million AD?

The prices vary based on the exchange but you can get a rank 3 cash shop for 1.2 million or so AD. This gives you a mount for every character you ever create on that account. As opposed to 1.5 million for a mount for just one single character. The regular cash shop mount is obviously the better choice. Unless you really like the looks of the Twilight Nightmare.

The person buying the mount doesn't care how much Zen anyone spent to get it. They are going to compare the costs and benefits of the different mounts available to them. And weigh that against how much they are willing to spend. I'd guess the sellers know this and know they would never sell the mount for an insane amount of AD.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    demand is low that's why, only completionists/"aesthetics" collectors are the only one who would want one of these. I collect items which i judge to be aesthetically awesome, but I still havent found the reason why i should buy this one, especially given the fact that i have a cool and scary giant spider, and i was able to get the red one XD

because normal people would normally/rather buy the 4k zen mount which unlocks on all characters instead of this one

also is this box a limited edition thing or will it be in the game forever?