test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Email confirmation sends to new email address /hacked accounts

Comments

• tere222tere222 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    email confirmation on anything is pretty much down, i have 5 accounts for sto nw etc i have been trying to change mail, password and what not, and nothing, i have gmail. hotmail so something must be pretty wrong at perfect W.

be warned ppl, check your accounts.
  • swineplayerswineplayer Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea I am calling the billing support line, and they won't leave me on hold. They keep sending me to a message and hanging up. Guessing they are slammed right now, meaning possibly lots of similiar issues.
  • qaeroqaero Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    garrisdd wrote: »
    Stop blaming the victim. It is reprehensible.

So you think that multiple friends all had their accounts randomly targeted and their passwords cracked by brute force attacks...at the same time? Doubtful. People don't want to take responsibility for their own security failures, and instead feel a company is responsible for a user's lack of....in most cases...common sense. I've been in IT long enough to know that while companies/accounts can be compromised by no fault of the user....the overwhelming majority of time people's accounts are "hacked" from their own negligence.
    edited May 2013
    qaero wrote: »
    So you think that multiple friends all had their accounts randomly targeted and their passwords cracked by brute force attacks...at the same time? Doubtful. People don't want to take responsibility for their own security failures, and instead feel a company is responsible for a user's lack of....in most cases...common sense. I've been in IT long enough to know that while companies/accounts can be compromised by no fault of the user....the overwhelming majority of time people's accounts are "hacked" from their own negligence.

Qaero, there are others who are experiencing this today. I have no idea who this guy is, but I do not necessarily doubt him since he and I are experiencing the same issue at the same time. A few others have chimed in as well.

Regarding negligence, perhaps. I mean I have been playing MMOs for years and know the tricks. I protect myself pretty well. The only things I have done recently out of the norm, is use the Gateway on multiple devices. Personally, I am stumped as to how I was hacked right now, due to all the steps I take.
  • garrisddgarrisdd Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Not to mention that its not who got hacked, its the fact that it is happening at all and in large numbers. You do not blame the victim of a crime you blame the one who did the crime. Blaming the victim is a way people try to make sense of crimes, that if they don't do something wrong they won't have it happen to them. But it can and if your unlucky it will.
  • syynsyyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    Those of you with hacked accounts, your pain may only be just beginning. Once support gets your support ticket about your account, they will probably ban your account (which is exactly what happened to me even though I had managed to get my account away from the hacker myself due to lucky timing on my part after my account first got hacked). Anyhow, I submitted a support ticket to inform support that while I got my account back and changed my password, I wanted to let them know I had been hacked. 3 days later, once they got my ticket (I did submit it on a Saturday morning when they were closed), they banned my account without a single word to me. No email to tell me what happened. I was banned from ALL my Perfect world stuff (Champions lifetime account, Star Trek lifetime account, NeverWinter Founders account and the PW website so I couldn't even log in here to look for help on the forums). I then had to submit a ticket about the banning. It took them 3 days to reply, then another 3 days to resolve the issue (at the rate of answering one reply from me a day). Eventually they did unban my account and explained my account had been logged into by a foreign IP associated with known Phising and hacks. So while the process was very slow and I was in the dark, it did eventually get resolved. I just wish modern game companys would have actual support numbers you could call in situations like this rather than relying on a ticking system that the end user has no way of tracking (when you are banned, you cant log in to see status of a submitted ticket). So to all of you with hacked accounts, I feel for you and hope you get a quick recovery. Once you get your accounts back, change your account's email address if you have another you can use. Stay away from common addresses (like gmail, Hotmail, etc) if possible and change your password to something really hard. I cut and paste mine in from a text document rather than type it. This way a keylogger can't capture it and also I'd never remember the crazy password I made anyhow. :) best of luck to you all.
    edited May 2013
    syyn wrote: »
    Those of you with hacked accounts, your pain may only be just beginning. Once support gets your support ticket about your account, they will probably ban your account (which is exactly what happened to me even though I had managed to get my account away from the hacker myself due to lucky timing on my part after my account first got hacked). Anyhow, I submitted a support ticket to inform support that while I got my account back and changed my password, I wanted to let them know I had been hacked. 3 days later, once they got my ticket (I did submit it on a Saturday morning when they were closed), they banned my account without a single word to me. No email to tell me what happened. I was banned from ALL my Perfect world stuff (Champions lifetime account, Star Trek lifetime account, NeverWinter Founders account and the PW website so I couldn't even log in here to look for help on the forums). I then had to submit a ticket about the banning. It took them 3 days to reply, then another 3 days to resolve the issue (at the rate of answering one reply from me a day). Eventually they did unban my account and explained my account had been logged into by a foreign IP associated with known Phising and hacks. So while the process was very slow and I was in the dark, it did eventually get resolved. I just wish modern game companys would have actual support numbers you could call in situations like this rather than relying on a ticking system that the end user has no way of tracking (when you are banned, you cant log in to see status of a submitted ticket). So to all of you with hacked accounts, I feel for you and hope you get a quick recovery. Once you get your accounts back, change your account's email address if you have another you can use. Stay away from common addresses (like gmail, Hotmail, etc) if possible and change your password to something really hard. I cut and paste mine in from a text document rather than type it. This way a keylogger can't capture it and also I'd never remember the crazy password I made anyhow. :) best of luck to you all.

Well I just got a reply (not the initial submission reply) from my ticket I submitted this morning. Haha, it was funny. An agent looked at it and said, please go in and change your password....blah blah...

I will keep at it.
  • sundervinesundervine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel for the OP. I had the same thing happen to me, however the people talking about how it is how things are done, why do they have account guard? I mean should it not account guard account changes? I mean what good is it to guard against logging into the game or gateway when all they need do is log in to the web site and change your email with you having zero chance to stop it.
    Also 60 hours and no CS on a serious violation such as this is terrible customer service. I mean come on that is a lot of real money and they do not care I suppose because well they already have it.
    edited May 2013
    syyn wrote: »

Bit of a wall of text you have there. Sounds like support is dropping the ball a bit on this one. The saddest thing about this is we have to do so many things and be so careful to play a game. What is even worse is the fact that all this is neccesary because some lazy jerk with more money than common sense is buying gold (or whatever currency is used in a particular game). As long as people are dum enough to screw over the entire community so they can be lazy, people will hack accounts to sell them the illgotten goods.
    edited May 2013
    I feel for the OP. I had the same thing happen to me, however the people talking about how it is how things are done, why do they have account guard? I mean should it not account guard account changes? I mean what good is it to guard against logging into the game or gateway when all they need do is log in to the web site and change your email with you having zero chance to stop it.
    Also 60 hours and no CS on a serious violation such as this is terrible customer service. I mean come on that is a lot of real money and they do not care I suppose because well they already have it.

And yet they may have our money, whatever people did spend already, they are not going to get more if people stop playing and tell there friends to stay away. Also I doubt this is their last game so they are killing there future customer options.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's put the torches down and look at some facts.

Just tested my account which has account gaurd on

When I try to change my email it send the code to my old address, even after you enter the code a confirmation is sent to the old address with a block access option So using account guard is a great idea.

But Stormster...what if my email gets hacked???

Well if you use a gmail account with a two step authentication it would be **** hard to have your email hacked, because every time a new password is used or you log in from a new browser a five digit code is sent to your cell phone, don't have a cell phone? No problem they will send a recorded code to your land line.

Nothing is foolproof, but doing these simple things will make it more trouble than it's worth to most hackers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • steeddysteeddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In exactly the same situation, email this morning saying I had requested email address change which I hadn't, so now I'm locked out of my account which of course will be stripped bare. So far support have only replied with the generic "have you tried changing your password?" bull****.
    edited May 2013
    Let's put the torches down and look at some facts.

Just tested my account which has account gaurd on

When I try to change my email it send the code to my old address, even after you enter the code a confirmation is sent to the old address with a block access option So using account guard is a great idea.

But Stormster...what if my email gets hacked???

Well if you use a gmail account with a two step authentication it would be **** hard to have your email hacked, because every time a new password is used or you log in from a new browser a five digit code is sent to your cell phone, don't have a cell phone? No problem they will send a recorded code to your land line.

Nothing is foolproof, but doing these simple things will make it more trouble than it's worth to most hackers.

you say you just tested this? But people in other threads say this was not in place earlier. This means that they fixed the issue which is good. However they still need to get all the compromised accounts back to the people who got nailed before they fixed this oversight.
    edited May 2013
    you say you just tested this? But people in other threads say this was not in place earlier. This means that they fixed the issue which is good. However they still need to get all the compromised accounts back to the people who got nailed before they fixed this oversight.

Unless they disabled it for while it's been in place for quite some time....now whether they had theirs on or not is a different story.
  • sundervinesundervine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am glad they implemented this however it must have happened in the last 60 hours because I have account guard emails still in my inbox where I was using it. with cookies off so that i had to use it every time I logged in to the gateway. I personally think the gateway was hacked and that is how they got the information. I scanned my computer with two different virus detectors after this happened to me and also already had my browsers set to not allow cookies and delete all information on close.
    Yet somehow they got my information and others.
    Is this a good change? YES! Is it to late for many of us? YES!
    They obviously knew they have a problem and still no resolution. Great customer service!
  • krayzeeonekrayzeeone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    iron4e wrote: »
    I recently had my account hacked, probably my own fault I'll admit as I stupidly used an old password. However, the account would have been safe had it not been for Perfect World's bizarre email confirmation. If you change the email address on an account the confirmation email is sent t the new address. So a hacker simply changes it and they can then log in after confirming the change on their own account. Account Guard does nothing as they then get the Code email on their own email account.
    The one bright side to this is that you can change it back again as long as they havent changed your password (which they obviously can do easily).
    Does anyone think PW have this right, I struggle to see the good side to this system, I've never seen it in any other online game, the confirmation is always sent to the old address isnt it?

I did this exact thing and got banned. No idea why, no email about it, just told I'm banned when I try to log in.
    edited May 2013

Yeah this DEFINITELY was not how it worked just earlier this week. This is of course assuming that someone is using the "front door" to get in. I'm not convinced someone hasn't gotten access to all account/personal info...
    edited May 2013
    Yea I am calling the billing support line, and they won't leave me on hold. They keep sending me to a message and hanging up. Guessing they are slammed right now, meaning possibly lots of similiar issues.

They have a phone line? What's the #?
    edited May 2013
    krayzeeone wrote: »
    I did this exact thing and got banned. No idea why, no email about it, just told I'm banned when I try to log in.

Great, so sounds like when we do get our accounts back we than have to go through the process of trying to get unbanned and than we may have to go through the process of getting our stuff back. And yet the person who is doing this is just jumping from account to account getting paid.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah this DEFINITELY was not how it worked just earlier this week. This is of course assuming that someone is using the "front door" to get in. I'm not convinced someone hasn't gotten access to all account/personal info...

Okay need to clarify something guys I was mistaken it DOES only send to the new email. This is horrid and needs to be changed at least offer a code to go to cell phones or something
    edited May 2013
    Great, so sounds like when we do get our accounts back we than have to go through the process of trying to get unbanned and than we may have to go through the process of getting our stuff back. And yet the person who is doing this is just jumping from account to account getting paid.

Yup. I'm on a new account because I can't even log into the other one. All the money I put in and the keys applied are gone unless I can recover the account. It's been 4 days now and not a peep from CS. I certainly won't spend another dime on this game until/if I get the other account back. Can't take the risk.
    edited May 2013
    Okay need to clarify something guys I was mistaken it DOES only send to the new email. This is horrid and needs to be changed at least offer a code to go to cell phones or something

Yeah most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> security system ever.
    edited May 2013
    Update:

I just got through sending a series of emails back and forth, and customer support did in fact get my account back to me.

However, all my characters are gone, including ZEN. Does not appear they will do anything to get those back.
    edited May 2013
    Update:

I just got through sending a series of emails back and forth, and customer support did in fact get my account back to me.

However, all my characters are gone, including ZEN. Does not appear they will do anything to get those back.

Well not sure if that's good or bad. How long did you have to wait for them to respond? I'm on day 4 now...
    edited May 2013
    Yeah most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> security system ever.

Yep apologies what went to my old address was a notice of account change and a link to contact customer service.

Honestly how hard could it be to at least include a link to undo the switch?
    edited May 2013
    Yup. I'm on a new account because I can't even log into the other one. All the money I put in and the keys applied are gone unless I can recover the account. It's been 4 days now and not a peep from CS. I certainly won't spend another dime on this game until/if I get the other account back. Can't take the risk.

I spent a few bucks on keys in NW, but I spent alot in STO, getting hacked in one game destroying your account across multiple games is a huge mistake.
    edited May 2013
    Yep apologies what went to my old address was a notice of account change and a link to contact customer service.

Honestly how hard could it be to at least include a link to undo the switch?

First thing i looked for when i got the email and realized i just lost my account.
    edited May 2013
    Well not sure if that's good or bad. How long did you have to wait for them to respond? I'm on day 4 now...

Well I submitted the ticket I guess about 5 hours ago. I rose a little hell in the email about throwing down 100 bucks, but I do not know if that had anything to do with them moving quickly.

And I also asked how it happened, but no response.
    edited May 2013
    Well I submitted the ticket I guess about 5 hours ago. I rose a little hell in the email about throwing down 100 bucks, but I do not know if that had anything to do with them moving quickly.

Wait you put in a ticket 5 hours ago and they already gave you your account back?
    edited May 2013

Wow, like I said, I'm on day 4 now... No response. I only dropped 40 bucks, not 100, maybe that matters...
This discussion has been closed.