test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I don't care 'who did the most damage'! Any way to turn off that message screen?

124»

Comments

• radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am only at level 20 and have soloed the entire game so far (just what I want to do for now until I join my Friends on another server next month) and have only seen this Pop-up once when defending against an Orc invasion (4 or 5 waves), so I guess I am pretty sure I may have queued for that scenario and joined it without even realizing it at that time (nonetheless), I hit X as soon as it popped up as it was more blocking my screen than anything else and did not realize what it was until afterwards. I collected my reward in the chests and only like 2 minutes after that I got a PM form another player gratzing me on finishing first...........Finishing first for what? Only then did I realize what it was and I could not care less. I have never seen it again, nor do I PVP but will surely hit X if I ever see it again. This is a game after all not a competition on how has the biggest............
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    radiick507 wrote: »
    I am only at level 20 and have soloed the entire game so far (just what I want to do for now until I join my Friends on another server next month) and have only seen this Pop-up once when defending against an Orc invasion (4 or 5 waves), so I guess I am pretty sure I may have queued for that scenario and joined it without even realizing it at that time (nonetheless), I hit X as soon as it popped up as it was more blocking my screen than anything else and did not realize what it was until afterwards. I collected my reward in the chests and only like 2 minutes after that I got a PM form another player gratzing me on finishing first...........Finishing first for what? Only then did I realize what it was and I could not care less. I have never seen it again, nor do I PVP but will surely hit X if I ever see it again. This is a game after all not a competition on how has the biggest............

DPS.
    /Char
  • budgiewudgiebudgiewudgie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The reason why I want this show on my screen to see if my new gear is effective or not.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I think this might be a boy issue (cause they do seem to like comparing things to see which one is bigger or better) but honestly, that screen that pops up at the end of a battle really annoys the heck outta me.

Personally, I really couldn't care less 'who fell over the most times' or 'who made the most noise' or whatever other asinine information it gives you.

Is there any way to turn the stupid thing off?

oh look, sexism. can I be chauvinist now and insult all the women for no particular good reason, though it has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

I find the screen useful to me, as a gauge of how well I am doing my job, not as a way to stroke my ego. Then again, I'm not looking at Damage Dealt, but rather at Damage TAKEN. right now, if I am not taking at least twice as much damage as the #2 guy, then I feel I had a bad run. at which point I try to figure out what I did wrong.

However, I do wish the window didn't cover up half the top of my screen.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    oh look, sexism. can I be chauvinist now and insult all the women for no particular good reason, though it has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

You're a bit late to the party on that.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    You're a bit late to the party on that.

eh. I had to sleep at some point. lol.
  • captbrack814captbrack814 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    Then again, I'm not looking at Damage Dealt, but rather at Damage TAKEN.

This guy right here. As a GF (and still in his mid 30s, and haven't even done every dungeon yet) I use it to see how well I tanked. Did I receive the most damage? Did I receive the most heals? Then that's some good tankin', I reckon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Go into battle expecting to die. Then, fight like you want to live." - Huren Hewnoak
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. Take a look at damage dealt in dungeon x.
    2. Repeat dungeon x with same gear but different abilities or same abilities but different gear.
    3. Compare results
    4. Use more dmging abilities or more dmging gear.

Yes you can do this with math, but its more useful to do it in a dungeon where you can take into consideration other things like stuns from bosses etc.
  • bridgemongerbridgemonger Member Posts: 194 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's amazing to me how this kind a thread gets a rapid admin response.
    60cw 51tr 16dc 5gf
  • hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think this might be a boy issue (cause they do seem to like comparing things to see which one is bigger or better) but honestly, that screen that pops up at the end of a battle really annoys the heck outta me.

Personally, I really couldn't care less 'who fell over the most times' or 'who made the most noise' or whatever other asinine information it gives you.

If you see your Thief Rogue has lowest or near lowest damage then you might realize he was not carrying his weight. If you see the healing shows the healer hardly did their job you know the same for them. Those are actually helpful and people who do not want to see those are subpar players usually.

As for the most deaths and other ones I agree they do not seem useful.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's amazing to me how this kind a thread gets a rapid admin response.

Why not, it's an amazingly easy answer :P
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    How's it feel to be on the receiving end? I know I read that an realized as a gender we earned the rebuke. Now wear it like a beer stain on your wife beater!;)

Very true.

I gotta be honest, as a female gamer, she probably has every right to dish out a mere fraction of what she's probably gotten over the years. Gamers can be real ****bags to girls (which one would think they would be happy to see).

People keep saying she's sexist for claiming boys care too much about ranking, but the statement is kind of insulting to female gamers too, seeing as it pegs women as apathetic toward their own performance in games.

I love looking up my name in the rankings to see how well I did. I never brag about it to the party, or make other feels bad. I don't check to see how badly other people did. Just to see how well I did. I imagine many women do as well. I know one of my female friends who plays checks her healing numbers.

then again, she was probably just joking.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    I gotta be honest, as a female gamer, she probably has every right to dish out a mere fraction of what she's probably gotten over the years. Gamers can be real ****bags to girls (which one would think they would be happy to see).

There are immature people, and they come in one of two genders. Being female doesn't make anyone somehow superior and special, and being male doesn't make someone a brainless sex fiend who starts drooling when he sees one of the 3 billion women that inhabit this planet. Everyone has heard stories of the male stalker or white knight, and the female gold digger and attention seeker, but is that a sufficient base for generalizations?

The topic starter's comment was essentially sexist and unnecessary, and her gender was completely irrelevant to her suggestion. Why even bring it up? It could only get a negative response, and it did. But I guess that is then taken as "what she's gotten over the years". If she's rude, people will be rude in return, and her gender has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The exact same thing happens to guys. (And if as a guy you make a sexist comment, I dare say you get a far worse response.)

Some of the most competitive people I have played video games with over the years were female. And why not? There are many, many more personality types than just two.

As for the suggestion, I don't see why the automatic popup can't be a personal toggle.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • suddled420suddled420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    How's it feel to be on the receiving end? I know I read that an realized as a gender we earned the rebuke. Now wear it like a beer stain on your wife beater!;)

Not me, not every guy is a ******....
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as the raw data goes, it's hard to parse out any real information as to what you did right/did wrong. The best/most readily available information it gives is whether or not you did well.

This right here is part of the problem. The system just gives you raw info, but no real context. In a lot of ways, its useless.

Say, for example, you are one of two rogues in a group. You come up with lower DPS then the other guy. Was it because you sucked? Some of the replies here would seem to indicate that. But what if the other rogue was two levels higher? What if he was all twinked out fully in all blue gear as a mid level character? What if he simply just broke from the party and ended up with more DPS because he was "macho man solo" while the rest of the group was actually staying grouped. The numbers alone and its ranking against others is almost meaningless in these cases.

Even when compared against ones self over several runs. There are simply to many variables to consider to even have consistent results. On one run you might of got awesome results. But on that run you might of had mostly GFs and Rogues. Another run you might have several GWFs and CWs, and suddenly in the face of big AOEs your over all DPS might seem lower. Group dynamics change things significantly. And the parse does very little to reflect that.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind the meter itself. I just hate the window along with the loot windows, constantly blinds me or gets in the way.
  • sarcon89sarcon89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zanicsia wrote: »
    Did you really have to open up your post with a jab at males?

0/10

im a guy and i think that window is annoying to so its less a jab at guys and a jab at people who like to rub their epeens
  • zenmiesterzenmiester Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok i think the henchman should NOT be included on the parse and it seems they are. I wanna see how I did so only way to do that is to dismiss henchman but then everyone else has thier dps or heal henchman out so id come out way on the bottom with no real way to tell how i stacked up. If they want to include the henchman then have the parse include them as a second line like Joe blow ----> dps 10k Joe Blow henchman --->dps 5k same for heals etc. As it stands now imagine a rogue with a rogue type companion or a healer with a healer type henchman they would always top the parse so for now it seems pretty useless because unless everyone doesnt bring thier companion there is no way to compare. That is just my take on the whole parse.

peace out gang
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I agree... unfortunately its already ruined the group dynamic in this game.
  • stalinystaliny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Girls have dicks too check your privilege.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson does more damage than you.