test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

6 Hours in, still muted for trying to merch items.

ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey Guys,

I was muted earlier at 3pm for 'Spamming'. Now, I'm aware player reports cause the mute, however I'm unsure why someone would mute me for simply trying to buy and sell items. I left plenty of time between each message, I never had 2 messages within the same chat tab and never actually 'spammed'.

Now, because of this, I can't queue for T2's because the people who don't know positions etc I can't help. I can't really PvP because I can't call base incs or anything, I can't merch because I can't talk. I basically cannot play Neverwinter. In effect, you're giving players the rights to ban someone for 24 hours because everything else is somewhat impossible without communication.

I like the idea, however all I did was merch items and I didn't spam compared to some of the people you see in the chat.

Just thought I'd vent as I had to leave a T2 because people constantly wiped and kept asking each other to explain tacs and I simply couldn't help and it was pure frustration.

If anyone can shed some more light on why I might have been muted and/or someone from cyptic directly highlight the cause of the mute, if possible, that would be great. I've opened a ticket already.

Cheers. :)
Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
PvE Enthusiast.
mbre6g.jpg
Post edited by ashrox10 on

Comments

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A) the auto ban lasts for 24 hours.

B) if you where trying to buy/sell in the zone chat you are going to get reported and ignored both of which will trigger the auto ban. The trade channel is there for buying and selling which is why people feel no compunction about not reporting and ignoring people buying and selling in the zone chat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

B) if you where trying to buy/sell in the zone chat you are going to get reported and ignored both of which will trigger the auto ban. The trade channel is there for buying and selling which is why people feel no compunction about not reporting and ignoring people buying and selling in the zone chat.

Just to add, I was in Protectors Enclave where 90% of the Zone chat is people trading. I don't know why people would single me out to report if literally the majority of Zone chat is Buying and Selling. However, I was unaware of this 'Trade' chat.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    lycanthroat78lycanthroat78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013
    Autobans with no moderation from GM's is a bad idea. Anyone having a bad day can simply report/ignore someone just to be a ****** and get someone chat banned for 24 hours. I don't know how to call attention to this terrible design concept except for report and ignore everyone you see until no one can talk at all. Perhaps then they will see the folly in this design.
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I really hope so. I hate "Special Snowflakes" who are too important to use the trade channel because they are afraid someone may miss their important sales/trades. (This goes for every online game I have ever played)
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Okay. Cryptic's wonderful players-police-themselves chat system works like this:

If someone /report spams you....it puts a demerit on you. Get five or more demerits with this feature, and you'll be silenced for 24 hours.

If someone /ignores you...it puts a demerit on you. These take more, and nobody's sure exactly how many, but catch enough people /ignoring you and you'll get silenced for 24 hours.

And this is the very same chat system for all three of Cryptic's games. Working as intended and so deeply imbedded into the chat system that it cannot be changed without a total rework of all three games chat.

Welcome to Cryptic games. Enjoy your stay, however brief or long it may be.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I really hope so. I hate "Special Snowflakes" who are too important to use the trade channel because they are afraid someone may miss their important sales/trades. (This goes for every online game I have ever played)

'they are afraid someone may miss their important sales/trades' - No. That isn't the reason people trade in Zone. With ANY form of advertising you try to appeal to the mass audience. Thus, the simplest way to do so is mass advertise. Now, if a game gives you a channel with 1000 people and a channel with 20, it's common sense to go to the biggest one, giving you a higher chance of a sale.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »
    Just to add, I was in Protectors Enclave where 90% of the Zone chat is people trading. I don't know why people would single me out to report if literally the majority of Zone chat is Buying and Selling. However, I was unaware of this 'Trade' chat.

Is your characters name Drizzt Do'Urden by any chance?

I saw one earlier today with that name trying to sell stuff in the chat channel but he must have gotten muted pretty quick because his name never turned up again in the chat.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mikael74 wrote: »
    Is your characters name Drizzt D'Urden by any chance?

I saw one earlier today with that name trying to sell stuff in the chat channel but he must have gotten muted pretty quick because his name never turned up again in the chat.

Check my sig. :)
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    carrotdongcarrotdong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your not singled out. I report/ignore every one of you guys when Im waiting for my party to do stuff. There's a place for trading. And when peoples questions go unanswered because 40 WTT WTS WTB message go flying by its ridiculous. I wish there was a filter, or people would use other means of spamming zone chat.
    sig1cr.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    'they are afraid someone may miss their important sales/trades' - No. That isn't the reason people trade in Zone. With ANY form of advertising you try to appeal to the mass audience. Thus, the simplest way to do so is mass advertise. Now, if a game gives you a channel with 1000 people and a channel with 20, it's common sense to go to the biggest one, giving you a higher chance of a sale.

You are aware you just confirmed what I said Mister Snowflake?
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They really need a trade channel.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You are aware you just confirmed what I said Mister Snowflake?

Partially, yes. However if you lack common sense, which is what this form of advertising is, then you won't get far anywhere. So, I'm somewhat proud that I outsmart some people.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    ilandryailandrya Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are several places for buying/selling/trading.. the right channel, and the ah. By the way, I don't even see zone chat in the enclave because it's spammed so heavily, I have it turned off... helps the lag on my poor little engine that could.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Partially, yes. However if you lack common sense, which is what this form of advertising is, then you won't get far anywhere. So, I'm somewhat proud that I outsmart some people.

LOL. I'm not the one who is muted for 24 hours.

How smart are you again?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until such time that there is a dev-created and enforced trade-specific channel, people will use whatever channels give them the most exposure - no "special snowflake" syndrome required.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Were you undercutting anyone?
    Chatbanning the competition is a common form of market manipulation in Champs.
    Pardon me:
    Chatbanning the competition is a common form of "Working As Intended" in Champs.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    LOL. I'm not the one who is muted for 24 hours.

How smart are you again?

And, this is my point. People are being muted for using common sense. Which is the point of this thread. How hard is it to understand -.-
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Until such time that there is a dev-created and enforced trade-specific channel, people will use whatever channels give them the most exposure - no "special snowflake" syndrome required.

And I will do all I can to make sure all the special snowflakes get muted at every opportunity.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And, this is my point. People are being muted for using common sense. Which is the point of this thread. How hard is it to understand -.-

Common sense says the TRADE channel is for TRADES. You guys just think you're special and want to SPAM everyone with the garbage you are selling whether they are interested or not. And as many this generation have been taught...it's EVERYONE else's fault but yours.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know that the 'trade' channel is shared across STO and CO as well. That doesn't make it that easy for NW-only people to conduct trades, either... Perhaps we need a NW-Only Trade Channel. It'd also be nice if there was something in-game that lead people to various official channels, so as to put an end to these issues as well...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    carrotdong wrote: »
    Your not singled out. I report/ignore every one of you guys when Im waiting for my party to do stuff. There's a place for trading. And when peoples questions go unanswered because 40 WTT WTS WTB message go flying by its ridiculous. I wish there was a filter, or people would use other means of spamming zone chat.

I approve of this message. To the OP, just be aware that some players won't stand for this when they play.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know that the 'trade' channel is shared across STO and CO as well. That doesn't make it that easy for NW-only people to conduct trades, either... Perhaps we need a NW-Only Trade Channel. It'd also be nice if there was something in-game that lead people to various official channels, so as to put an end to these issues as well...

I'm fairly sure this in error. I'm pretty sure the only channels that are common between games are custom channels. I definately could be wrong...and since we can't test it :|
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Common sense says the TRADE channel is for TRADES. You guys just think you're special and want to SPAM everyone with the garbage you are selling whether they are interested or not. And as many this generation have been taught...it's EVERYONE else's fault but yours.

Until such time as you can point me to some official in-game instructions about using custom channels being "the only" correct way, your point is invalid.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm fairly sure this in error. I'm pretty sure the only channels that are common between games are custom channels. I definately could be wrong...and since we can't test it :|

The trade channel IS a custom channel - one that was created back in like 2009 or so for either CO or STO... It's been accessible in CO and STO as long as they've been operational.
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    No one wants to see trade spam on Zone chat. If you want to sell your stuff, go do it on the auction house. Use it, it's there.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Until such time as you can point me to some official in-game instructions about using custom channels being "the only" correct way, your point is invalid.

Considering I said nothing of the sort...YOUR point is invalidate. The only thing I said about custom channels is that I think they are the only ones that cross between games.
  • Options
    amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You and I have a different definition of 'common sense'. What you describe is more like a small town in Wyoming printing an ad in every newspaper in the country about a weekend sale.

We have a trade channel, thus common sense says that is where people will look to buy/sell. Granted this does assume all of the interested players are aware of the channel (if you were unaware, others surely are as well sadly) and make that extra effort to use it. If you were actually one of the few who did not spam the zone channel (that is you waited x minutes instead of waiting for your advert to be blown off screen) then I do feel sympathy for your mute. But most of the people who buy and sell in the zone channel do not follow such courtesies and really do spam the channel. Person A says their advert then persons B-G have to throw theirs up immediately after.
  • Options
    ijw473ijw473 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And get off my lawn.
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Outsmarted them right into a chat ban. Nice...
  • Options
    epoch85epoch85 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dumb. You should be able to say anything you want in /zone.

It is for the zone!

Why traders have to be singled out and considered spam?

I guess /zone is only for people asking dumb questions like "will ther be a char char wipe???"

Why not a /LFG channel? All those people looking for groups sure are spamming up my zone chat so I can't keep up with the "wow was the first mmo!" discussion.

Seriously, all you people reporting/ignoring anyone who trades in /zone because you consider it spam, what is it in /zone you're so worried you might miss?
This discussion has been closed.